Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I know own you aren't asking for advice but... keep the insurance man.

As an adult who just got health insurance for the first time: take the insurance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Mezzanon posted:

As an adult who just got health insurance for the first time: take the insurance.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Oh hi weird double post

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Field Mousepad posted:

It's fine until all the super high servers forget to ring in every other table. Smoke at the end of your shifts you morons.

Yup. Get high and/or loving shitfaced, but do it on your own time.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

take the job w/ insurance; ounce of prevention worth a pound of cure.

don't work stoned/drunk; eventually you'll get busted.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
Meth Chef at 5: "Hey RCC, I'm outta here, catch you Sunday."
7, lady I've never met, carrying a pizza walks into kitchen. "Is Meth Chef here?"
"Uhh, no, he left a few hours ago."
"Well I'm his wife, he texted me 20 minutes ago that he was still here!"

:yikes:

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Republicans posted:

You guys got any good stories about a power outage or some other unavoidable calamity loving up plans?

Late to the post but just catching up.

Winter at a hotel. Sous chef opening for breakfast sets off the fire alarm with the steamers. Something to do with weather and winter and heat thresholds from steam.

Hotel's FULL AND BOOKED. something like over 200 rooms.

Front desk went 'okay, since everyone got woken up at 530am, anyone who calls in to complain about it gets free breakfast'.

Que an entire hotel's worth of people being woken up 2-3 hours early, all coming in at once, all ordering like its free food and going nuts with special requests, and only two cooks on the line.

On the plus side, lunch was slow.

Though I suppose this is technically an avoidable calamity, it sure didn't feel like it.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Liquid Communism posted:

Yup. Get high and/or loving shitfaced, but do it on your own time.

As a new resident of CA I have lots of weed in my house. 3 different strains, one indica, one hybrid and one sativa.

I don't even smoke weed, but it's important for me to have it available for my guests as part of the bar set up.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Trebuchet King posted:

take the job w/ insurance; ounce of prevention worth a pound of cure.

don't work stoned/drunk; eventually you'll get busted.

I'm not even worried about busted, I'm worried about the people who can't handle themselves. They're always the ones who think they work better trashed, and they're the ones I used to end up having to deal with because they dropped a knife through someone's foot or got into a fist fight with one of the customers for hitting on their FoH girlfriend.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

oh my god that would be amazing

lol no they're saying maybe $12/hr which is pennies more than i make at the other place

cooks don't make poo poo in omaha. my perspective is skewed bc i started off making literal minimum wage with no hope of a raise so making $10/hr blew me away. that was 2 yrs ago lol

I am sure you don't pay this for health insurance, but my health insurance is $360/mo for a lovely 3.5k deductible plan.

take the job with the insurance over the pennies raise, because gently caress if we know what's happening with the ACA anyways.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Errant Gin Monks posted:

As a new resident of CA I have lots of weed in my house. 3 different strains, one indica, one hybrid and one sativa.

I don't even smoke weed, but it's important for me to have it available for my guests as part of the bar set up.

:lol:

My man!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

remote control carnivore posted:

Meth Chef at 5: "Hey RCC, I'm outta here, catch you Sunday."
7, lady I've never met, carrying a pizza walks into kitchen. "Is Meth Chef here?"
"Uhh, no, he left a few hours ago."
"Well I'm his wife, he texted me 20 minutes ago that he was still here!"

:yikes:

Run. That's the only advice I can give. Just run.

Also, I get the fun of a 13 hour shift tomorrow! gently caress me.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.
I love brunch. Does anyone else love brunch? I definitely don't want to die right now even a little bit.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

caleb posted:

I love brunch. Does anyone else love brunch? I definitely don't want to die right now even a little bit.

I love Sunday brunch. You should too.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

caleb posted:

When I last went job hunting I only interviewed at places that didn't serve brunch (or breakfast) and asked in every interview if it was ever in their plan to do so.

I haven't worked a brunch in 5 months now. No regrets.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Brunch is so drat bad. Half drunk rich people who mod the gently caress out of everything, hungover young people with mush brain who can't figure anything out and almost all of them are in a hurry for some reason. Just gently caress that whole part of the day.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Brunch is the loving worst. I love eating it, but gently caress serving it. It didn't help that the kitchen was, let's say, unreliable about poached eggs.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
I say this as someone who cooked professionally for years, but I don't understand how so many people that cook professionally are so bad at cooking eggs. It's one of the easiest loving things to do.

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap
Cooking brunch is a special kind of torment, but getting out of it alive is a Hell of a feeling. Kinda miss it, in a hosed way.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

nope, and that should be a dealbreaker. it isn't.

For God's sake, keep the insurance. It's like having an electric carving knife in your kitchen -- you never think you'll need it, but when you do, you'll be glad you have it.

For years and years and years I had been healthy as a horse, hadn't been to a doctor in ages, just flying footloose and fancy-free. Then over the course of three months, I get gradually sicker, eventually losing the ability to walk, with my doctor not having a clue as to what was going on. He finally sent me to the hospital, where they found a dozen pulmonary embolisms as well as deep vein thrombosis in both legs. In short, I was literally days away from dying. Spent almost a week in the hospital, and would have been staring at more than $70,000 of medical bills had I not been insured.

Keep the insurance.

Timby fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 19, 2017

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Cool story but what the hell do you need an electric carving knife for

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

pile of brown posted:

Cool story but what the hell do you need an electric carving knife for

carving, presumably.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Disposal of murders.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Don't you just use those for Turkeys on Thanksgiving and poo poo?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bentacos posted:

I say this as someone who cooked professionally for years, but I don't understand how so many people that cook professionally are so bad at cooking eggs. It's one of the easiest loving things to do.

About a third of the time you could use a poached egg as a ping pong ball from that kitchen.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I know this posh place that does brunch and they set it up as a buffet. Is that how most places do it?

It's loving amazing.

But, I can def see how working it would suck.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

People also tip like poo poo at buffets

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

A Man and his dog posted:

Don't you just use those for Turkeys on Thanksgiving and poo poo?

Timby posted:

you never think you'll need it, but when you do, you'll be glad you have it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also, gently caress two straight 13 hour days

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

iospace posted:

People also tip like poo poo at buffets

It's almost like tipping is a horrible loving menace to people actually getting paid for their work. :gibs:

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

i watched ratatouille for the first time since it came out tonight.

okay, rat chef, I can buy that.

okay, hair puppeteering, i can buy that too.

but when linguini moves into the fancy-rear end apartment after taking over? that brought me back to reality.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Trebuchet King posted:

i watched ratatouille for the first time since it came out tonight.

okay, rat chef, I can buy that.

okay, hair puppeteering, i can buy that too.

but when linguini moves into the fancy-rear end apartment after taking over? that brought me back to reality.

Reminded of this: http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/every-nyc-romantic-comedy-is-full-of-poo poo-in-the-exact-1761005748

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
http://i.imgur.com/eJyJp6m.mp4

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Skwirl posted:

About a third of the time you could use a poached egg as a ping pong ball from that kitchen.

well, guess I won't try brunch there. They re-opened at nights. I wonder if it's a shitshow.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

:popeye:

thanks for reinforcing that i should be firm about insurance, thread. i'm sure a different opportunity will arise elsewhere eventually where i can make real food and get insured doing that. i was told last night that health insurance was "a top priority going forward" for the GM. like yeah okay lol

and also gently caress brunch heard

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I'm at a place where the bartender is not shaking/stirring enough. Can I communicate that in a manner that's not being a dick and discreet enough my date won't know?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

what the gently caress is even in there

also what camera system do you have? :c00l:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

According to my store's legends, a former employee at one point had sex in our walk in cooler.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

iospace posted:

According to my store's legends, a former employee at one point had sex in our walk in cooler.

I am pretty sure that is a common restaurant ur-myth. I have heard the same about several kitchens I have worked in. Culinary STDH, if you will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I'm at a place where the bartender is not shaking/stirring enough. Can I communicate that in a manner that's not being a dick and discreet enough my date won't know?

Nope. Don't bother unless you already know the guy.

• Locked thread