Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Captain Oblivious posted:

Most of the high end crafters around nowadays are people who either A) had fat stacks of cash from 1.0 or B) muscled through to riches at some point during 2.xx through sheer capacity to endure mindless tedium.

What I'm saying here is

B O O T S T R A P S

Eh, I definitely know a few big name crafters (on Ultros) that bought cash and a TON that bot endlessly. I wouldn't be surprised if there's quite a few on Excal as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

more like dICK posted:

I like Aurum Vale tbh. Trash tier dungeons for me are totorak and halatali. I like everything else.

Auruv Vale is fine as long as you have a tank who knows what they're doing.

So like maybe 1 out of 20 runs.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

more like dICK posted:

I like Aurum Vale tbh. Trash tier dungeons for me are totorak and halatali. I like everything else.

I cannot stand Qarn. As soon as I reach the level required to get it in lldr, I switch to fate farming.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

^^^Qarn was the only leveling dungeon I had trouble with (though Hard Mode wasn't as bad, oddly enough)^^^^

I managed to get through Labyrinth CT without having to watch any vids.

One thing that I'd like to know is if there's another way to get Undeciphered Tomestones besides drops.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

SirPhoebos posted:

^^^Qarn was the only leveling dungeon I had trouble with (though Hard Mode wasn't as bad, oddly enough)^^^^

I managed to get through Labyrinth CT without having to watch any vids.

One thing that I'd like to know is if there's another way to get Undeciphered Tomestones besides drops.

Once you clear all three 24-mans, theres a weekly quest you can do that will reward you with either a Carboncoat (poetic accessory upgrade), Carbontwine (poetic leftside upgrade), or a Tomestone.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

I cannot stand Qarn. As soon as I reach the level required to get it in lldr, I switch to fate farming.

Qarn isn't that bad really.

Well. If you're the tank.

Phlogistic
Oct 22, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

Qarn isn't that bad really.

Well. If you're the tank.

I dunno, Qarn is basically the first dungeon in the game that you'll have trouble clearing with one or more terrible DPS, due to the bees spawned by the first boss.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I've probably just had a run of good luck.

Also I should probably change "KILL THE BEES FIRST" into a macro instead of typing it out every time.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

At least bees are survivable now, when 2.0 came out bees were lethal from a single sting. DPS tunnel visioning would result in a dead tank, would also result in dead dps because no, a healer cannot save you from doom.

Old Qarn was really the first "gently caress you" dungeon because a good tank or healer wasn't enough to carry the group.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
RIP AK bees.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
I'm still waiting for the dungeon full of all the bees they removed to make content easier. At the end is a bee version of pre-nerf Steps of Faith where you have to harpoon a giant angry bee.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
How well can the game run if you're below minimum specs on the graphics card? My monitor decided to loving die a few days after replacing my CPU/mobo so I'm stuck with a laptop for the foreseeable future.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Rei_ posted:

i dont think anyone gets how petty and stubborn FFXIV's community can be until you've played a tank in crystal tower

The worst is when all the other tanks are too wussy to pull and also refuse to drop tank stance.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Robo Reagan posted:

How well can the game run if you're below minimum specs on the graphics card? My monitor decided to loving die a few days after replacing my CPU/mobo so I'm stuck with a laptop for the foreseeable future.

If it doesn't run well for you on your laptop at all, I highly recommend steam in-home streaming. Turn on your PC, remote desktop to it, add FF14 to steam, use in-home streaming.

It should work without a working monitor.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
During an S-Rank today, I learned that guildwork was down and I got an earful from a pubbie when I mentioned my dislike for guildwork.

quote:

[8:40]Shioban Mooney >> The guildwork website is down, yes.
[8:40]>> Shioban Mooney: lets hope it stays that way forever
[8:40]Shioban Mooney >> How come? lol
[8:40]>> Shioban Mooney: because gently caress that place, ruins hunts
[8:41]Shioban Mooney >> Thats how the server organises hunts
[8:41]Shioban Mooney >> It doesnt
[8:41]Shioban Mooney >> We proved otherwise
[8:41]>> Shioban Mooney: hunts were better when organized via TS
[8:41]Shioban Mooney >> Nope
[8:41]Shioban Mooney >> The teamspeak forced you to have access to it, ontop of being in-on the people running it. If they didnt like you, no hunts
[8:41]Shioban Mooney >> Linkshells worked gret
[8:41]Shioban Mooney >> *great
[8:42]Shioban Mooney >> This is just another organisation method. People will ALWAYS early pull hunts
[8:42]Shioban Mooney >> We proved that
[8:42]Shioban Mooney >> GW did nothing to exacerbate people pulling early. Once people knew where it was, reagrdless of where the informaiton was from. They would early pull
[8:42]Shioban Mooney >> With the teamspeak, not everyone could access it
[8:42]Shioban Mooney >> Was the same problem
[8:44]Shioban Mooney >> The best part of the data collected was that after the initial rush of hunts. People stopped pulling early.
[8:44]Shioban Mooney >> So it resolved itself over time
[8:44]Shioban Mooney >> Keeps hunts alive once the TS dies
[8:44]Shioban Mooney >> Bad and a good thing. Can't always be a good thing without some bad

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

hobbesmaster posted:

You have to put your pet on those types of adds. I'm not sure how I'd do it without a Logitech keyboard and assigning put commands to G1-G6

you just have to tap right bumper on a controller to bring up pet commands, if you play that way

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

During an S-Rank today, I learned that guildwork was down and I got an earful from a pubbie when I mentioned my dislike for guildwork.

source your quotes that you sent via a whisper please. hunts are awful, guildwork keeps it tolerable.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
When I was doing hunts, If we didn't pull in 2m I would pull it into the group. If you cant get there in 2m, gently caress you.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Guildwork is in fact a much better system than the Hunt LS (limited in size and has to be pruned regularly) or the Hunt TS (for many obvious reasons).

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Truga posted:

If it doesn't run well for you on your laptop at all, I highly recommend steam in-home streaming. Turn on your PC, remote desktop to it, add FF14 to steam, use in-home streaming.

It should work without a working monitor.

I don't have remote desktop enabled on my main PC. :v:

KoB
May 1, 2009
When HW first launched and GW didnt work, all I saw were people pulling in seconds :shrug:

GW doesnt change people being assholes.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

KoB posted:

When HW first launched and GW didnt work, all I saw were people pulling in seconds :shrug:

GW doesnt change people being assholes.

I saw the opposite. They would say a time in shout and generally pull around that time. I was however in the main hunt LS and on TS so maybe I just got their right away? :shrug:

That being said I still prefer guildwork though and anyone who thinks otherwise is as bad as people wanting the game to be like FFXI.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
Guildwork is terrible because it's something you have to go out of your way to be in the know of.It's also better than all the other systems, so :shrug:

The only thing I really don't like about Guildwork is that it makes it impossible to blacklist devoted intentional trolls, but that's hardly its fault.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
If you think about it, Guildwork is like a Hunt LS without a maximum size and it doesn't use up a valuable LS slot.

meefistopheles
Nov 11, 2013
So I have had this game for roughly a month or so on PS4, and have been really enjoying it. However, my IRL friends I've been playing with have mostly moved on to Rocket League and the Destiny expansion, and the game is definitely not as good soloing everything. That being said, I have been enjoying the game and I have a few months left on the subscription. Is it worth switching to the goon server, even if I'm a casual (I usually play maybe five to ten hours a week)? Haven't really gotten into any GC stuff before, does that add much to the gameplay? I'm on coeurl right now, and a level 48 MNK, if that makes a difference.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

meefistopheles posted:

So I have had this game for roughly a month or so on PS4, and have been really enjoying it. However, my IRL friends I've been playing with have mostly moved on to Rocket League and the Destiny expansion, and the game is definitely not as good soloing everything. That being said, I have been enjoying the game and I have a few months left on the subscription. Is it worth switching to the goon server, even if I'm a casual (I usually play maybe five to ten hours a week)? Haven't really gotten into any GC stuff before, does that add much to the gameplay? I'm on coeurl right now, and a level 48 MNK, if that makes a difference.

Yes

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
You hardly are forced to use guildworks, a million fuckers shout the next hunts.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

The problem with The Hunt in general is it's admitted by the devs to be lazy slapdash poo poo they threw together, mostly as a response to whining about the lack of open world content, and it flat out doesn't work well at all on large servers.

Whenever it's the only unlimited source of gear upgrade items it's an ugly disaster and I hope they never make that mistake again, even though they did it twice.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Boten Anna posted:

The problem with The Hunt in general is it's admitted by the devs to be lazy slapdash poo poo they threw together, mostly as a response to whining about the lack of open world content, and it flat out doesn't work well at all on large servers.

Whenever it's the only unlimited source of gear upgrade items it's an ugly disaster and I hope they never make that mistake again, even though they did it twice.

I'd rather they just revamp/expand the Treasure Hunt system and dumpster Hunts. They're insanely poorly implemented and promote nothing but the worst antisocial behaviour.

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Some recent tales from the duty finder:

-MCH in brayflox who did nothing but autottack and got REALLY MAD when I asked if they were a bot
-50 BRD in storyqarn who used no cooldowns whatsoever because he was 'tired'
-AST as a dps in Stone Vigil, ate nearly every aoe
-Two commends in A1 as a bard for helpfully informing the group that I was too drunk to handle adds

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Vermain posted:

I'd rather they just revamp/expand the Treasure Hunt system and dumpster Hunts.

I feel like there's some way to merge to the two, but I'm not quite sure how you'd do it.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

During one HLDF, about half-way through the instance someone asked if I was a bot. I told him I wasn't, which lead them to ask why I didn't have Shield Oath toggled.

:doh: I've been careful to check that I have it up since.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

POLICE CAR AUCTION posted:

-MCH in brayflox who did nothing but autottack and got REALLY MAD when I asked if they were a bot
-Two commends in A1 as a bard for helpfully informing the group that I was too drunk to handle adds

Not sure if it was in ITT or in FC chat but someone encountered a ninja saying "I miss 1.0 it was a better game". They then proceeded to get hit by every single AOE.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

I've sometimes forgotten to activate Defiance until someone pointed it out.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
Shioban isn't a pubbie btw

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Doublestep posted:

Shioban isn't a pubbie btw

yeah, he was equally adamant as dumb goons about wanting to buy chest instead of weapon

KoB
May 1, 2009

POLICE CAR AUCTION posted:

One time I was Deepsing Haukke and I noticed that the healer would only move when the tank did and would eat any AOE (still healing). I told the other two it looked like it was a bot but they hadnt noticed. A few minutes later they both said "I see what you mean"

Then we tried to get it hit with as many aoes as possible. Eventually we had to kick it because it got stuck after the 2nd boss.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I had one of the absolute worst Scholar bots in a Brayflox NM that casted nothing but Adloquium, prioritized healing their faerie (???), and ran over to me and cast Summon II as I was busy eating poo poo from the first boss. The Dragoon was also a bot. I apologized to the other DPS and left, because gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I asked before but if there was an answer I didn't see it. Has the AoE rotation for BLM changed since the expansion? Last I played BLM, 'round 2.5, it was F3->F2 until near empty->Flare->Convert->Swiftcast->Flare->Transpose->B3 to open, then F3->F2 until OOM->Flare->Transpose->B3->repeat until the pack was dead or there were 2 targets left.

(ed) I'm only 54. Does it change to wanting to keep Enochian up once I get to 58, by (I guess) throwing a B4 in there somewhere?

• Locked thread