Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

evilcat posted:

If they make it so it actually rolls into a tube like that video, it won't be long before they start making some crazy widescreen formats for it.
Prepare for 21:9 phones except for the one guy who held it wrong and now it's a 9:21 vertical video.

im ready for the 219 phone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

the iphone 5 was the most beautiful phone ever made

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

mishaq posted:

lol

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
#1) Clarissa explains it all phone
#2) wood box phone mounted on wall with pick up ear piece thing
#3) nexus 4, Bitch.
#4) razr
#5) iphone 4/s

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Smythe posted:

#1) Clarissa explains it all phone
#2) wood box phone mounted on wall with pick up ear piece thing
#3) nexus 4, Bitch.
#4) razr
#5) iphone 4/s

the first three in your list are fictional phones or i've never used them. good list

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
i think i still have my razr, somewhere

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

If Apple could just make a bezel-less iphone that was otherwise identical to the iphone 4 then they could just shut down their phone design department forever

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Last Chance posted:

the first three in your list are fictional phones or i've never used them. good list

wrong + who cares about what phones youve used. durr. youre loving stupid or something lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Linguica posted:

If Apple could just make a bezel-less iphone that was otherwise identical to the iphone 4 then they could just shut down their phone design department forever

bezels are necessary for usability

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
this is what the next iphone will look like because of the camera bump + bends in normal use:

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Wheany posted:

this is what the next iphone will look like because of the camera bump + bends in normal use:

it's lovely :)

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuQMr-ZvA4I

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

is that why mbas have huge bezels?? lol

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Sagebrush posted:

if my 5s screen got taller only when the keyboard was open that would increase usability

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

seriously, try one of those android phones with the "edge to edge design" sometime. anything on the sides of the screen gets triggered by your palm brushing the edge of the phone as you slightly shift your grip. it's an awful choice that puts no thought into how the device is actually used, like making a knife without a handle. but i wouldn't be totally surprised to see it in an apple product eventually, sadly, because they have this singular pursuit of making the phone thinner and lighter no matter the effect on any other design parameters. it's very german

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sagebrush posted:

seriously, try one of those android phones with the "edge to edge design" sometime. anything on the sides of the screen gets triggered by your palm brushing the edge of the phone as you slightly shift your grip. it's an awful choice that puts no thought into how the device is actually used, like making a knife without a handle. but i wouldn't be totally surprised to see it in an apple product eventually, sadly, because they have this singular pursuit of making the phone thinner and lighter no matter the effect on any other design parameters. it's very german

"thickness" and "weight" are measurable metrics, so that's what they'll go for

i think "measurable metric" might be redundant

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

mishaq posted:

this is true - the black iphone 5 was black as night and the white iphone 5 was this really bright, almost glittery silver. if you see one in good condition nowadays it's honestly pretty startling after seeing nothing but "Space Grey" for the past 5 years

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

they're measurable, but not meaningful. off the top of your head, do you know how thick your phone is in millimeters? how much it weighs? of course not; no one needs to know that and having a device that's 0.2mm thinner than another doesn't mean it's 0.2mm better, or whatever. the phone's thickness and weight should be optimized, not minimized.

i can tell you how many miles per gallon my car gets and what kind of gas it takes, because those are relevant. i don't know the width of the seats or the diameter of the steering wheel because those are selected correctly and loving with them wouldn't improve anything.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sagebrush posted:

they're measurable, but not meaningful. off the top of your head, do you know how thick your phone is in millimeters? how much it weighs? of course not; no one needs to know that and having a device that's 0.2mm thinner than another doesn't mean it's 0.2mm better, or whatever. the phone's thickness and weight should be optimized, not minimized.

i can tell you how many miles per gallon my car gets and what kind of gas it takes, because those are relevant. i don't know the width of the seats or the diameter of the steering wheel because those are selected correctly and loving with them wouldn't improve anything.

i can easily imagine car companies getting into a war over the size of steering wheels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA27aQZCQMk

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Sagebrush posted:

i just realized that the ever thinner designs isn't to drive sales because seriously who the gently caress cares about that. it's most likely due to their processors getting so much more efficient without the corresponding increased workload so they have to trim down the battery to keep its expected shelf life at ~2 years.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

lol god dammit AMD

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=AMD-Zen-Intel-KBL-Delay

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
well you dont want to release a new product around same time you fill for bankruptcy so that is smart to delay it for after

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

who cares about amd chips

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Shaggar posted:

who cares about amd chips

people that buy macs

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol buying a mac w/ amd has to be the dumbest thing possible.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i don't know anything about supply chain, but with Samsung and TSMC are just at capacity with A10's and Polaris chips.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Shaggar posted:

lol buying a mac

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Celexi posted:

people that buy macs

there's only 2 Apple products with AMD in them and neither have AMD CPUs

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Shaggar posted:

lol buying a mac w/ amd has to be the dumbest thing possible.

:derp: shaggar was right :derp:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

PleasureKevin posted:

there's only 2 Apple products with AMD in them and neither have AMD CPUs
i wanted to say there's three, but wow they really don't have imacs with discrete graphics :psyduck:

though the implication that amd doesn't make a video card capable of 5k while integrated intel iris can do it is lol

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
the iPhone 5 is still the best iPhone. partially because it comes in slate and not stupid space grey

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the iphone 4s was the last good iphone and was one of the 2 good iphones (the other being the 3gs)

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

the battery life target is 1 day and should always be 1 day.

no one in the industrial world is ever more than 10 meters from an electrical socket for long. and most people return from work to home daily anyway. so building a phone that has more than 1 day battery life serves a niche: mostly outdoors people. so Apple could build a bigger capacity battery for 99% of it's customers, sacrificing thinness for everyone... or you can just get an external battery, which you'll probably want anyway as even 2 days isn't enough for an outdoors person.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

why is "thinness" desirable again, kevin?

my superior Sony Xperia Z3 is like a quarter inch thick maybe and would gain nothing at all from being thinner

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
all the newer iphones are too thin and are uncomfortable to hold. should have stayed at 4s thickness level

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I have to lightly janitor my phone for it to last a full long night

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sagebrush posted:

why is "thinness" desirable again, kevin?

because it's practically the only thing differentiating the iphone from android at this point, since apple has given up on user experience and build quality in favour of idiotic gimmicks and accessories

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the next major differentiating feature will be the inability to use a standard set of headphones without a dongle

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
"standard set" is now legacy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

do you think they'll make a lightning to lightning cable so i can charge my "wireless" headphones from my phone?

• Locked thread