Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

pro starcraft loser posted:

Can someone tweet this at him or something? It's perfect.

I did several hours ago

https://twitter.com/SA_Whowhatnow/status/1115305064342728709?s=19

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
i regret to inform you that i stole literally all your clout

https://twitter.com/Sestze2/status/1115322888926556160

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Sestze posted:

i regret to inform you that i stole literally all your clout

https://twitter.com/Sestze2/status/1115322888926556160

at least you tweeted it at spookperson, so that stealing the clout was on brand

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

poly and open-minded posted:

at least you tweeted it at spookperson, so that stealing the clout was on brand
i noticed the thing I replied to got deleted for some reason

not sure why

i like spookperson, they seem like an interesting person on the internet, i know they have a rep for joke theft though :(

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I dug around and found an album with Pictures for Sad Children. How does the thread feel about reposting that? I know the creator scrubbed everything from the internet.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
I, personally, feel like I would want to see that! I can’t remember enough context to know how inappropriate that may or may not be though, so.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Who gives a gently caress? This is the lawless internet, we do what we want

:justpost:

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

What if that album was posted by Gary Larson? What then??

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

areyoucontagious posted:

Who gives a gently caress? This is the lawless internet, we do what we want

:justpost:

Again goons respect Gary Larson for asking people not post "his children" online so I wasn't sure where we would stand since she purged her work from the internet

But anyways

http://imgur.com/gallery/ihNnt

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Len posted:

Again goons respect Gary Larson for asking people not post "his children" online

What? No they don't. His request is a joke, and Far Side gets posted all the time.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Sestze posted:

i noticed the thing I replied to got deleted for some reason

not sure why

i like spookperson, they seem like an interesting person on the internet, i know they have a rep for joke theft though :(

Spookperson is pretty cool and super interesting with the taxidermy and medical history stuff, but joke thievin' got 'em a position at Netflix

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

What? No they don't. His request is a joke, and Far Side gets posted all the time.

Goons yell about respecting it every time Larson is posted tho

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Arrhythmia posted:

Goons yell about respecting it every time Larson is posted tho

I'm pretty sure this hasn't actually happened in several years at least

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
This derail has happened in the past 30 days, I guarantee it

Sprue
Feb 21, 2006

please send nudes :shittydog:
:petdog:

Len posted:

I dug around and found an album with Pictures for Sad Children. How does the thread feel about reposting that? I know the creator scrubbed everything from the internet.

Thanks for sharing the album, I'd seen that comic around at some point but never read all of it. What's the deal, why'd the author take them down? It really scratches that 00's depressed comic itch without being dreadful

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

People respected his request because he asked nicely instead of throwing lawyers at people, which was a nice gesture at the time. I guess it's been long enough that people forgot.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Sprue posted:

Thanks for sharing the album, I'd seen that comic around at some point but never read all of it. What's the deal, why'd the author take them down? It really scratches that 00's depressed comic itch without being dreadful

The author had a nervous breakdown, and as part of that, pulled down all their comics and left the Internet.

I don’t know exactly what caused the breakdown; I remember people talking about them being overwhelmed by their success (and having a joke Kickstarter goal of hand-crafted materials that was overwhelmingly fulfilled, putting them in a position of feeling like they actually had to seriously make all of the things requested). I also remember people talking about the author coming out as trans and breaking down over their gender dysphoria. But most of the discussion was pulled down along with the artwork, so I don’t have any references other than vague memories of things KC Green might have said on Twitter.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I think it's also because they were genuinely incredibly depressed and the comic was not a lighthearted look at how people struggle but a somewhat bleak window into thoughts they felt guilty about. Sad people joke about how they feel, and the most sad sometimes end up quite funny.
It was good, I hope they are ok and doing well.

E: reading them again, thy are beyond bleak. You can see the actual not funny sad thought that was turned into a joke in most of them.

cubicle gangster has a new favorite as of 06:34 on Apr 9, 2019

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

People respected his request because he asked nicely instead of throwing lawyers at people, which was a nice gesture at the time. I guess it's been long enough that people forgot.

He's lucky that his comics are bad because otherwise it would get posted all the time. Nobody gives a poo poo about him asking nicely except a couple of weirdos.

I'm always baffled how anyone can seriously bring up the "but he asked nicely" :qq: line. Gary Larson is a milionaire who's not losing anything if you post his stupid comic on an internet forum. If anything, he's losing potential exposure. I bought a couple of comic book collections after seeing the examples of the comic online.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
https://twitter.com/TheFarSide_ish/status/1114132044966055936
https://twitter.com/TheFarSide_ish/status/1112694196224167936
https://twitter.com/TheFarSide_ish/status/1112346947233419270
https://twitter.com/TheFarSide_ish/status/1106190651580833793
https://twitter.com/TheFarSide_ish/status/1105567213581488129

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Far Side is apparently really popular with scientists.

Lyrai
Jan 18, 2012

https://twitter.com/Ettin64/status/1115518554214789125?s=19

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm confused

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Can confirm. For birthdays Fermilab uncle would hand Larson collections out in tandem with the sort of poo poo you find in one of those smart kids stores that have names like Spark: Meaningful Diversions For Questing Young Minds. It’s like, neat, Wiener Dog Art and a three dimensional clear plastic puzzle model of the human brain. You know my parents dont have money and mom decided to deny me all pleasure and feed me coffee as an alternate treatment for ADD, right? I was counting on you to slip me a Gameboy or something, but ok. This is how you’re gonna do me, Uncle Bob. That’s fine.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

cubicle gangster posted:

I think it's also because they were genuinely incredibly depressed and the comic was not a lighthearted look at how people struggle but a somewhat bleak window into thoughts they felt guilty about. Sad people joke about how they feel, and the most sad sometimes end up quite funny.
It was good, I hope they are ok and doing well.

E: reading them again, thy are beyond bleak. You can see the actual not funny sad thought that was turned into a joke in most of them.

Jesus, you're not kidding. Reading a bunch in a row, it's obvious they were going through some poo poo.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I wish the ones I worked with were fans, this is the kind of stuff I have to see on the noticeboard

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I do remember back in university there were a ton of Far side comics pinned up around the place. I think it's an academic thing in general. Jane Goodall apparently laughed at the strip that mentioned her. (and Gary Larson got roughed up by a chimp. Karma?)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I do remember back in university there were a ton of Far side comics pinned up around the place. I think it's an academic thing in general. Jane Goodall apparently laughed at the strip that mentioned her. (and Gary Larson got roughed up by a chimp. Karma?)

No, no. It implied she had sexual relations with the chimps.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I once had a professor who had a Ted Rall cartoon printed out and stuck to his office door.

Nevertheless he was a cool guy.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Samovar posted:

No, no. It implied she had sexual relations with the chimps.

Her foundation thing got in a huff, but she herself thought it was hilarious

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I know that the spiked club of the end of a stegosaur's tail is now officially called a Thagomizer.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Also there's some sort of louse called the strigiphilus garylarsoni

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

uvar posted:

I wish the ones I worked with were fans, this is the kind of stuff I have to see on the noticeboard

How ionic!

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
If you didn't read The PreHistory of The Far Side when you were fourteen who the gently caress even are you

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I did, thank you very much, that's why I'm hip to these cow tools references

e: I might have been exactly fourteen the first time I read it

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

:discourse:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I'm pretty sure this hasn't actually happened in several years at least

But some people are still super salty about it for some reason.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Captain Jesus posted:

He's lucky that his comics are bad because otherwise it would get posted all the time. Nobody gives a poo poo about him asking nicely except a couple of weirdos.

I'm always baffled how anyone can seriously bring up the "but he asked nicely" :qq: line. Gary Larson is a milionaire who's not losing anything if you post his stupid comic on an internet forum. If anything, he's losing potential exposure. I bought a couple of comic book collections after seeing the examples of the comic online.

gary larson asked nicely that people should avoid posting his comics online, most people had no strong feelings one way or the other and a few people felt bad about it and would encourage others not to post them

somehow now every time someone brings up his comics a bizarre group of people suddenly congeal out of the aether to get really mad about this and post them out of spite while acting like the other two groups of people("not overly concerned with posting comics on the internet" and "feel kind of bad about doing something that someone has politely asked them not to do even if it doesn't really matter") are weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

cock hero flux posted:

gary larson asked nicely that people should avoid posting his comics online, most people had no strong feelings one way or the other and a few people felt bad about it and would encourage others not to post them

somehow now every time someone brings up his comics a bizarre group of people suddenly congeal out of the aether to get really mad about this and post them out of spite while acting like the other two groups of people("not overly concerned with posting comics on the internet" and "feel kind of bad about doing something that someone has politely asked them not to do even if it doesn't really matter") are weird

it is part of the ritual