Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
An actual thing I recommend if you're interested in the translation of one show to another is reading Ranger Station over at Comics Alliance. Chris Sims watches Power Rangers and compares it to it's source footage, the season one stuff is fascinating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DeimosRising posted:

I mean she's just Bugs in sexy drag externalized as another character, so it's basically Bugs doing the Silence of the Lambs mirror scene. Which would actually work if they ran with it but post golden age Tunes isn't that daring

Bugs wanting to gently caress himself is the whole Daffy Duck relationship! Again, not new, and kinda regressive in a way. Lola doesn't even have a comedy schtick. She's just sexy. She's not klutzy, bawdy, anything like that. She's literally just there to confirm that Bugs is heterosexual.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Bugs wanting to gently caress himself is the whole Daffy Duck relationship! Again, not new, and kinda regressive in a way. Lola doesn't even have a comedy schtick. She's just sexy. She's not klutzy, bawdy, anything like that. She's literally just there to confirm that Bugs is heterosexual.

They completely redid Lola for the last Looney Tunes show to actually be a comedic character having her even be voiced by Kristen Wiig doing her damnedest. She was one of the stronger parts, though in the end she was still just Bugs' girlfriend. Still It was a noble effort at trying to reform a character that pretty much seems to exist to assure people that Bugs Bunny isn't gay and to test out the strength of the worksafe filter on google image search.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I will always be fond of Lola simply because I was six years old the year Space Jam came out and when I got my first cat, so guess what her name was? She lived a good twenty years before kidney failure took her. RIP good catte. :unsmith:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

glam rock hamhock posted:

They completely redid Lola for the last Looney Tunes show to actually be a comedic character having her even be voiced by Kristen Wiig doing her damnedest. She was one of the stronger parts, though in the end she was still just Bugs' girlfriend. Still It was a noble effort at trying to reform a character that pretty much seems to exist to assure people that Bugs Bunny isn't gay and to test out the strength of the worksafe filter on google image search.

That show was dope and the one where Daffy goes to her for dating advice and she falls in love with him because he reads her advice out loud anf thinks he agrees with her is great

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

porfiria posted:

If you watch that Twitch stream it's kind of surprising how amateur hour it is.

Oh, no doubt. I did a double take when Alpha goes somewhere for something, and the ground is literally black plastic bags.

Like, intellectually I've always known how low budget the whole thing is, but goddamn.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

MisterBibs posted:

Oh, no doubt. I did a double take when Alpha goes somewhere for something, and the ground is literally black plastic bags.

Like, intellectually I've always known how low budget the whole thing is, but goddamn.

On the other hand it made a buttload of money and is thus amazing according to your idiot logic

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

That show was dope and the one where Daffy goes to her for dating advice and she falls in love with him because he reads her advice out loud anf thinks he agrees with her is great

The show did an oddly great job of pulling of the frankly terrible concept of "what if Looney Tunes was a sitcom". It helped that they made Bugs a pretty effective straightman and Daffy was an amazing George. And of course the music was, well...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8ZmXmUTiZA

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

The show did an oddly great job of pulling of the frankly terrible concept of "what if Looney Tunes was a sitcom". It helped that they made Bugs a pretty effective straightman and Daffy was an amazing George. And of course the music was, well...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8ZmXmUTiZA

It helps that they leaned all the way into the absurd, Seinfeld/Always Sunny style

So there's an episode about Bugs losing his gloves and he gets new ones and he literally does a personality shift because of gloves

Or the one where they get sent to jail

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

If anybody could do it, it's Kristen Wiig, so at least they tried.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

HIDDEN IN HIS LABYRINTH, HE DINED ON COELACANTH

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
All That Jazz is a musical, right? Because that movie might legit be the greatest movie that ever movie'd, so the entire genre is justified.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

On the other hand it made a buttload of money and is thus amazing according to your idiot logic

Of course its amazing. A 90s punching-man show for little kids is still going on, almost thirty years later.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

DeimosRising posted:

I mean she's just Bugs in sexy drag externalized as another character, so it's basically Bugs doing the Silence of the Lambs mirror scene.

:drat:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/374874703510249472

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

hahahaha when you're right you're right

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

If anybody could do it, it's Kristen Wiig, so at least they tried.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plCqn8Eap-k

I like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puYJ0Ojp5cI

Edit...welp

Gatts fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 14, 2017

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Man that animation is just depressing

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

DeimosRising posted:

Man that animation is just depressing

Bugs is still questionable because he didn't accept and runs away from an attractive rabbit character even though she is psycho.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Man, everybody got AIDS and poo poo

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

MisterBibs posted:

The main action director for early American power rangers is buddies with Scott Adkins and they made a bunch of movies together

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

corn in the bible posted:

Man, everybody got AIDS and poo poo

Such an unheralded classic.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Watching Strange M.D. and I could listen to Tilda Swinton saying "Dormammu" for days.
It's such a fun word to type, too.

Dormammu.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Grendels Dad posted:

Watching Strange M.D. and I could listen to Tilda Swinton saying "Dormammu" for days.
It's such a fun word to type, too.

Dormammu.

Dread Dormammu

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Dissapointed Owl posted:

All That Jazz is a musical, right? Because that movie might legit be the greatest movie that ever movie'd, so the entire genre is justified.

It's an "acceptable" musical, in that it hasn't been bowlderized in a stage to screen transition and also has baps.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Dread Dormammu

Just imagine Michael Buffer announcing that.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It's an "acceptable" musical, in that it hasn't been bowlderized in a stage to screen transition and also has baps.

And open-heart surgery footage. You don't see that poo poo in The Sound of Music.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Dissapointed Owl posted:

And open-heart surgery footage. You don't see that poo poo in The Sound of Music.

Sweeney Todd, maybe. Have you seen Lenny? It's brutal.

edit: it's horrible how many really good musicals and plays haven't made it to film. come on hollywood

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Woooow. So you guys know the ongoing saga to get Welles' The Other Side of the Wind finished and released?

http://www.avclub.com/article/netflix-finishing-and-releasing-one-orson-welles-f-252079

Sometimes the future is weird.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Cabaret is even more ominous now that we are living in it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29Mg6Gfh9Co

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 15, 2017

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Criminal Minded posted:

Woooow. So you guys know the ongoing saga to get Welles' The Other Side of the Wind finished and released?

http://www.avclub.com/article/netflix-finishing-and-releasing-one-orson-welles-f-252079

Think that's weird? Well, they just found the entirety of London After Midnight, and it's gonna be a Crackle exclusive! Please don't banish me for this joke.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Cabaret is even more ominous now that we are living in it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29Mg6Gfh9Co

We've been living in Cabaret for decades. That's the point of Cabaret.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Criminal Minded posted:

I'll check it out when it's released but the footage that's been floating around for a while isn't exactly encouraging

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Dissapointed Owl posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXiFutPUaI8

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Samuel Clemens posted:

We've been living in Cabaret for decades. That's the point of Cabaret.

Yeah...

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I convince myself that I don't like musicals, but then I'll watch one I haven't seen before and end up loving it every time.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Before we went to see La La Land my girlfriend said she wasn't sure if she wanted to go see it because she doesn't like musicals and then proceeded to remember about a dozen musicals she really likes and retracting the statement.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jesus loving christ this snow storm is ridiculous. I can barely see 10 feet outside my house. There was a 25 car pileup this afternoon.

Honest Thief posted:

Wait, she wants to wait till marriage but wants to avoid religious folk?

And wants to get the poo poo beat out of her by someone who's sexually inexperienced.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Detective No. 27 posted:

I convince myself that I don't like musicals, but then I'll watch one I haven't seen before and end up loving it every time.

I'm kinda the same way except sometimes I absolutely hate it. God, Oklahoma! sucks.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

So I'm watching Slacker with my little brother and my mom is having the best reactions.

"Is this supposed to convince me that everyone in America doesn't know anything but is convinced they know everything?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
The Other Side of the Wind sounds like a euphemism a southern dandy would use for a fart

• Locked thread