Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

What is "Boog"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah
it's short for "boogaloo", which in turn is short for "Civil War 2: Electric Boogaloo" - its a right libertarian dog whistle for future political violence

boogbois, as they call themselves, are rw libertarians that wear hawaiian shirts and milsurp/tacticool gear

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

What is "Boog"?

it's what happened when our highly politicized age stripped the fantasy veneer off the zombie apocalypse prepper neckbeards

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Flavius Aetass posted:

it's what happened when our highly politicized age stripped the fantasy veneer off the zombie apocalypse prepper neckbeards

yeah it's yet another repackaging of RAHOWA

Pizza Segregationist
Jul 18, 2006

As far as racist white people go I'd say there's a pseudo-intellectual "david duke" type that gets swept up in grand narratives about the glory of western civilization, and a "manson family" type that just register that there is some kind of racial conflict and decide to side with the people who look like them. Boogaloos are manson family types but no charles manson figure has emerged so far so they haven't done much damage

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

swimsuit posted:

it's short for "boogaloo", which in turn is short for "Civil War 2: Electric Boogaloo" - its a right libertarian dog whistle for future political violence

boogbois, as they call themselves, are rw libertarians that wear hawaiian shirts and milsurp/tacticool gear
why hawaiian shirts, you ask? because they're headed to the big luau, their code word for the impending civil war/racial holy war

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

It rules that two of the most prominent militia groups are named after a Disney stage musical and an 80s dance movie

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Boogs are weird compared to the other right wing groups because they don’t have racism or misogyny is a central part of their ideology. It’s anti-establishment violence for the sake of anti-establishment violence. Now this has brought in a lot of the racists into the outskirts of the group, but the RAHOWA types are explicitly not the ideal boog. This has brought a lot of minorities in, especially Asian-Americans judging by the pictures I’ve seen posted.

The weird violent libertarian take makes them more palatable to a lot of people who’d normally avoid the far right because of the usual groups’ authoritarianism and racism.

It was also more acceptable to say things like “yeah I’d fight against tyrant feds” than “I’d fight to hang the blacks”, and a lot of the terror attacks committed by active duty military in the last couple years were boog-inspired more so than nazi or southern nationalist or the other usual suspects.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

maybe so, but a pretty significant portion of them are explicitly about the RAHOWA stuff, and anyone willing to take up arms and be counted with them is at the very least not opposed to it.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Boogs are a source of decent gear. They tend to buy a ton of safe queen expensive guns and tactical accessories. I struggle to think what else they might be good for.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Zeroisanumber posted:

Boogs are a source of decent gear. They tend to buy a ton of safe queen expensive guns and tactical accessories. I struggle to think what else they might be good for.

Attacking pigs? :shrug:

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

maybe so, but a pretty significant portion of them are explicitly about the RAHOWA stuff, and anyone willing to take up arms and be counted with them is at the very least not opposed to it.

Yeah that’s what makes them especially dangerous, is that while the anti-establishment ideology brings a lot of disparate people in, in practice there’s a huge overlap between boog communities and the other far right communities like the Proud Boys and Patriot Prayer and the RAHOWA folks. It makes them a solid recruiting vector.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Tubgoat posted:

Attacking pigs? :shrug:

Theoretically, but I don't trust them not to shoot us at the same time.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Zeroisanumber posted:

They'll leave very lootable corpses for more able people.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Southpaugh posted:

They'll leave very lootable corpses for more able people.
Once again, AMC Original Series The Walking Dead is just more projection.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

So seems that the mass violence and attempted civil war these militias have been threatening this entire election hasn't occurred (yet). Anyone know what they're up to at the moment? Part of me thinks maybe they're so dejected by the results, or worried that without a real legal shot at Trump maintaining power they're afraid of sticking their necks out. But like people I know have been tense that they're going to pull something yet it's been crickets all week.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

it's a long ways between now and november 20th :shrug:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

TrixRabbi posted:

So seems that the mass violence and attempted civil war these militias have been threatening this entire election hasn't occurred (yet). Anyone know what they're up to at the moment? Part of me thinks maybe they're so dejected by the results, or worried that without a real legal shot at Trump maintaining power they're afraid of sticking their necks out. But like people I know have been tense that they're going to pull something yet it's been crickets all week.

Mostly being the same cowards they always have been. What they want is for Trump to call for a coup because they imagine that there will be a mass movement that they can join up with. Joke's on them because Trump is also a coward and is hiding out in the White House waiting for someone to give him a magic way to still be president the same way he waited for a magic solution to Covid.

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

Yeah I think the reason we haven't seen more violence (yet) is that while you have a bunch of militia types practically begging Trump to activate them, the guy in question is mostly just a bully; more than willing to bluster from a position of power about not accepting the election results, but afraid of actual confrontation (remember this is the dude who fled for a bunker at the first sign of angry crowds outside the White House).

I think some rightists realize this too, hence the calls you're seeing for a more committed fascist to lead the movement and why 2024 is going to be so dangerous.

Of course, it isn't January yet and there's still plenty of time for things to get way worse! :classiclol:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

TrixRabbi posted:

I think they're mostly dejected and kinda in the "regrouping" phase since the election is over and this wasn't the plan.

I would guess things will stay pretty quiet between now and the inauguration but if COVID is still increasing and Biden starts talking about new restrictions and shutdowns there's gonna be more threats like that kidnapping plot.

The one caveat is if Trump really starts lashing out at specific targets between now and January, someplace these guys can pinpoint anger at. Then things may get heated.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

They’re cowards who only do anything when they’re sure that the police and feds will cover for them. See Portland, where they bus in from across the river and then stand inside a police cordon so the big bad antifa can’t get them and then run like hell the minute it becomes obvious that they’re vastly outnumbered by people who actually will risk jail time to crack their skulls and there aren’t enough police to keep them safe.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Internet Wizard posted:

Boogs are weird compared to the other right wing groups because they don’t have racism or misogyny is a central part of their ideology. It’s anti-establishment violence for the sake of anti-establishment violence. Now this has brought in a lot of the racists into the outskirts of the group, but the RAHOWA types are explicitly not the ideal boog. This has brought a lot of minorities in, especially Asian-Americans judging by the pictures I’ve seen posted.

The weird violent libertarian take makes them more palatable to a lot of people who’d normally avoid the far right because of the usual groups’ authoritarianism and racism.

It was also more acceptable to say things like “yeah I’d fight against tyrant feds” than “I’d fight to hang the blacks”, and a lot of the terror attacks committed by active duty military in the last couple years were boog-inspired more so than nazi or southern nationalist or the other usual suspects.

one thing to be really careful with is assuming that just because there's participation by groups that an old school RAHOWA skinhead wouldn't consider white doesn't mean that there's not a huge racial component to it. they just expect that when Race War 2: Electric Boogaloo hits that they'll be on the "white" side of the line. just because they're wrong doesn't mean that they don't earnestly believe it. i mean, for a different group, take a look at enrique tarrio and the proud boys. tons of latino men running around in there that absolutely don't meet the old definition of "white" but that's still a white supremacist group through and through. it's taking on a more malleable definition of white as more "not black" than "pure Aryan stock", though it's not like literal Hitler didn't have a problem getting the Japanese in on the Aryan franchise back in the day.

as for them not having racism as part of their central ideology, i'm gonna push back directly against that. i think it's at the heart of what they do, they've just come to the conclusion that the only way that they'll get what they want (no more Black people, for whatever their definition of Black is) is to create a cycle of retributive violence that will lead to the downfall of the state. i'm sure that there's some blackpilled libertarian true believers mixed in there, but the idea that they're not racist definitely sounds like the "the boog are actually left and committing a lot of the violence too" line of bullshit that jj mcnabb sells to cop and cop adjacent shitbirds.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Sometimes I think back to the article from the hispanic guy who was called an illegal by all his neighbors in the south growing up, and decided he would join ICE and be the most brutal and cruel ICE agent possible, and then he found out he wasn't a legal resident, and was shocked that after all of his vicious anti-immigrant savagery and cop bootlicking his ICE agent buddies immediately turned on him and he was promptly deported.

Specifically, I think about the end of that article, where he hasn't changed his beliefs at all and still hates immigrants, he just thinks he personally got a raw deal.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Spergin Morlock posted:

Jack Burkman, staggering through a dimly lit parking garage with a traffic cone. Blood leaking from the bullet hole in his rear end cheek

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Even the blackpilled libertarians are still just nihilists with guns and to hell with the idea of making common cause with that poo poo.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Azathoth posted:

one thing to be really careful with is assuming that just because there's participation by groups that an old school RAHOWA skinhead wouldn't consider white doesn't mean that there's not a huge racial component to it. they just expect that when Race War 2: Electric Boogaloo hits that they'll be on the "white" side of the line. just because they're wrong doesn't mean that they don't earnestly believe it. i mean, for a different group, take a look at enrique tarrio and the proud boys. tons of latino men running around in there that absolutely don't meet the old definition of "white" but that's still a white supremacist group through and through. it's taking on a more malleable definition of white as more "not black" than "pure Aryan stock", though it's not like literal Hitler didn't have a problem getting the Japanese in on the Aryan franchise back in the day.

as for them not having racism as part of their central ideology, i'm gonna push back directly against that. i think it's at the heart of what they do, they've just come to the conclusion that the only way that they'll get what they want (no more Black people, for whatever their definition of Black is) is to create a cycle of retributive violence that will lead to the downfall of the state. i'm sure that there's some blackpilled libertarian true believers mixed in there, but the idea that they're not racist definitely sounds like the "the boog are actually left and committing a lot of the violence too" line of bullshit that jj mcnabb sells to cop and cop adjacent shitbirds.

I don't disagree that a lot of the trends are there, I just disagree with you on the source of them. I'd argue that the majority of the racial components in the community's discourse come from the large overlap with supremacy-focused organizations, and not from the Boog ideology itself.

The Boog ideology really gained traction in online spaces when there was the transition from RAHOWA as the idealized form of Civil War 2, to a generalized anti-government and especially anti-ATF sentiment that appealed to many of those minority men that were alienated by the RAHOWA groups.

It's important to note that it's not Race War 2: Electric Boogaloo in the main part of the community, it's Civil War 2: Electric Boogaloo, and it feeds directly off of the States Rights narrative that denies the racist root of the first Civil War. That narrative is of course a white supremacist fig leaf, but it's an important distinction.

It was the shift away from and obscuration of the racist component of the far right anti-government movement that has allowed the Boogaloo ideology to appeal both to white men that consider themselves Patriots and see the ATF as a form of government tyranny, but don't see themselves as Supremacists or even Racists. The "I don't even see color, I just love AMERICA and LIBERTY" types that wouldn't openly participate in a supremacist community because they've internalized the "racists are bad people and I'm not a bad person, therefore I'm not a racist" narrative. It's also created a space for conservative "Patriot" types that are a racial minority to participate in the far right sphere without feeling like they're working against their race or are just being "one of the good ones".

There is absolutely a huge racial supremacist part of the Boog community, and it absolutely grew out of that movement, but it is not itself explicitly racist. It does serve as a premium recruiting pipeline to expose prime candidates for the more supremacist communities to radicalization and recruitment. The Boog movement appealing to non-whites is a huge boon for the white supremacist groups because it's created an entire community of armed and radicalized "good ones", I absolutely agree with you there.

Edit: the lines between the different far right ideologies are very blurry and easily crossed between due to the overlap of appeal to the members, and they're further blurred when you see people mixing tribal markers like hawaiian shirts with proud boy hats and RWDS patches.

Edit 2: Edit Harder: I'm also really just procrastinating and avoiding working on the term paper for one of my anthropology courses by posting about right wing extremists instead so I might be completely off base here, just pointing out what I've observed happening in even "moderate" ish online gun spaces, including some TFR posters who have expressed Boog sympathies and have snuck Boog paraphernalia into their pictures.

Internet Wizard has issued a correction as of 18:53 on Nov 8, 2020

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

the kind of people who 1) are prone to violence and 2) actually support trump (as many of the fashiest have already abandoned him) are mostly conspiracy nuts. they all think this is part of the Great Plan and it was all a sting operation, and any day now SCOTUS will reverse the election results. they're going to chill until it becomes clear that isn't going to happen, then i'd expect them to go nuts.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Here's the thing about conspiracy nuts: they're exacerbated by watching literally half of their conspiracy canon play out in realtime, in the material world.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
Boogs seem to vary a lot by region too; our local boogs that I've encountered seem to be avowedly Not Racist but just really like guns and really hate cops. Their problem comes with also hating Government and therefore welfare/healthcare/Communism™. I had a really excited young one try to keep touch with me after I helped him at work and revealed my lefitst leanings, he was p cool but there's a lot of conspiracy theory poo poo out here and a lot of them that would be sovcits if anyone had ever told them about it.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

so here's some hosed up poo poo from Vienna. Source is a discord goon living in Vienna.

"a local Nazi, registered a demonstration for sunday morning under the motto "Peace and Tolerance". [instead] drove his truck through the 8th district, blasting gun salvos and islamic prayers from loudspeakers. And it took the police one hour to shut it off."

https://twitter.com/oalrawivienna/status/1325365552790056960?s=20

Dude is a local 'alt-right' activist and publicist named Georg Immanuel Nagel.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

TheKennedys posted:

Boogs seem to vary a lot by region too; our local boogs that I've encountered seem to be avowedly Not Racist but just really like guns and really hate cops. Their problem comes with also hating Government and therefore welfare/healthcare/Communism™. I had a really excited young one try to keep touch with me after I helped him at work and revealed my lefitst leanings, he was p cool but there's a lot of conspiracy theory poo poo out here and a lot of them that would be sovcits if anyone had ever told them about it.

Hatred of the government is often just racism at a higher level of abstraction.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Internet Wizard posted:

I don't disagree that a lot of the trends are there, I just disagree with you on the source of them. I'd argue that the majority of the racial components in the community's discourse come from the large overlap with supremacy-focused organizations, and not from the Boog ideology itself.

The Boog ideology really gained traction in online spaces when there was the transition from RAHOWA as the idealized form of Civil War 2, to a generalized anti-government and especially anti-ATF sentiment that appealed to many of those minority men that were alienated by the RAHOWA groups.

It's important to note that it's not Race War 2: Electric Boogaloo in the main part of the community, it's Civil War 2: Electric Boogaloo, and it feeds directly off of the States Rights narrative that denies the racist root of the first Civil War. That narrative is of course a white supremacist fig leaf, but it's an important distinction.

It was the shift away from and obscuration of the racist component of the far right anti-government movement that has allowed the Boogaloo ideology to appeal both to white men that consider themselves Patriots and see the ATF as a form of government tyranny, but don't see themselves as Supremacists or even Racists. The "I don't even see color, I just love AMERICA and LIBERTY" types that wouldn't openly participate in a supremacist community because they've internalized the "racists are bad people and I'm not a bad person, therefore I'm not a racist" narrative. It's also created a space for conservative "Patriot" types that are a racial minority to participate in the far right sphere without feeling like they're working against their race or are just being "one of the good ones".

There is absolutely a huge racial supremacist part of the Boog community, and it absolutely grew out of that movement, but it is not itself explicitly racist. It does serve as a premium recruiting pipeline to expose prime candidates for the more supremacist communities to radicalization and recruitment. The Boog movement appealing to non-whites is a huge boon for the white supremacist groups because it's created an entire community of armed and radicalized "good ones", I absolutely agree with you there.

Edit: the lines between the different far right ideologies are very blurry and easily crossed between due to the overlap of appeal to the members, and they're further blurred when you see people mixing tribal markers like hawaiian shirts with proud boy hats and RWDS patches.

Edit 2: Edit Harder: I'm also really just procrastinating and avoiding working on the term paper for one of my anthropology courses by posting about right wing extremists instead so I might be completely off base here, just pointing out what I've observed happening in even "moderate" ish online gun spaces, including some TFR posters who have expressed Boog sympathies and have snuck Boog paraphernalia into their pictures.

I appreciate your thoughts, and I don't necessarily disagree, I just see someone who hates the government openly allying with white nationalist on the basis of common ground to be a distinction without a difference. And frankly, you're being far too generous simply because they have learned to keep the real racist poo poo on the DL.

At a minimum, anyone involved in the boogaloo movement has decided that its just fine to make common cause with virulent racists, in the same way that a billionaire who just wants that tax cut is willing to make common cause with turboracist politicians.

We should absolutely not give them the benefit of the doubt that they're not also just because they have the common sense to not shout slurs or post racist poo poo in their memes. I would say it is far, far more likely that they just understand that a cleaner image is better for them, what with the catastrophic failure of online racists to meme their way to an ethnostate.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

TheKennedys posted:

Sweet! You can teach him which half the conspiracy theory bullshit is true and which is an op to make it impossible to find out more about the true half.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Hatred of the government is often just racism at a higher level of abstraction.
Or he found out what happened between after Obama was sworn in. I'm not saying he's definitely not racist, but this poo poo needs to be evaluated on a case-by-case basis because oligarchs are loving up the commons loving hardcore under the flag of "government."

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Boogs' anti-government stance isn't racist in the same way that someone talking about "criminal urban thugs" doesn't necessarily mean black people. Violent crime is a real problem after all, it makes sense that people want to see something done about it, that doesn't make them racist... but it's totally a dogwhistle used to advance racist politics.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Brute Squad posted:

Georg Immanuel Nagel.

What is it with these guys and bad facial hair?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Spergin Morlock posted:

Jack Burkman, staggering through a dimly lit parking garage with a traffic cone. Blood leaking from the bullet hole in his rear end cheek

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/avignon161/status/1325563053254070273

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I really really wish they had become unhealthily obsessed with stoicism instead of... whatever all this is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Tubgoat posted:

I really really wish they had become unhealthily obsessed with stoicism instead of... whatever all this is.

that would involve poo poo like emotional maturity and introspection