Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I read some sections of the Talmud years ago, but I read sections that weren't a D&D campaign run by God.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Don't forget "trad catholics" whatever the gently caress that is with all their crusader imagery (and antisemitism and islamophobia et cetera).

The crusader poo poo is just a "protectors of western civilization" thing where they show a hedge knight standing with a Spartan and a Viking as if they would've even considered fighting alongside each other

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

MizPiz posted:

The crusader poo poo is just a "protectors of western civilization" thing where they show a hedge knight standing with a Spartan and a Viking as if they would've even considered fighting alongside each other

What percentage of people who fetishize Spartans know they were all child fuckers do you think?

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Skwirl posted:

What percentage of people who fetishize Spartans know they were all child fuckers do you think?

You say that like it would somehow lower that kind of person's opinion of the Spartans instead of raising it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

You say that like it would somehow lower that kind of person's opinion of the Spartans instead of raising it.

But they mostly hosed boy children.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Skwirl posted:

But they mostly hosed boy children.

Back when MEN were MEN!

But seriously probably something like blah blah blah it made them tough and strong blah blah blah not enough corporal punishment in schools anymore

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

MizPiz posted:

it's especially funny since the crusaders destroyed the protector of western civilization

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Not Old Testament, but I love that the Talmud has a passage where a bunch of Rabbis out rules-lawyer God.

I haven't read the Talmud but I like the part in the old testament where god is talking to this guy and the guy demands that god prove that he is really good by moving the loving sun to shift a sundial.

So god does it and the guy is like "Oh sure anyone could do it once. But could you do it twice. And god does it again and the guy is like "yeah okay I guess you're god.

And this sort of stuff happens several times and god isn't even mad because people are supposed to be skeptical and only yield to direct evidence.

Then in contrast you got the Israelites out with Moses and they see miracles on a daily basis but Moses can't even take a leak without them going off to worship a different god. The breaking of the tablets is just the tip of the iceberg. There was god flat out losing patience and then melting people with super-leprosy and the ground opening up and swallowing people whole and fire from the skies etc.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Byzantine posted:

it's especially funny since the crusaders destroyed the protector of western civilization

You would still be upset about that.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Eschenique posted:

There was god flat out losing patience and then melting people with super-leprosy and the ground opening up and swallowing people whole and fire from the skies etc.

Eschenique posted:

Moses can't even take a leak without them going off to worship a different god.

I'm seeing a causal link here

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

A fun Spartan story....

I was in the Marine Corps in 2007 when 300 came out. My colonel was enthralled at the whole warrior spirit poo poo so he made my entire unit write a book report (yea, we're grown rear end men doing book reports for our jobs) on Gates of Fire and in it talk about how we can use the lessons learned from Spartans to become better warriors. Not a whole lot of people caught a whole lot of stuff in the book, but I knew after I got out of the Marines I wanted a degree in history I studied the hell out of the book, and the actual event, and the actual Spartans. I wrote a pretty lengthy essay on how the bond between men was the source of their warrior spirit and that to bring out the true passion a warrior has to exhibit, we should start taking other men as lovers.

This was in the middle of Don't Ask, Don't Tell and I spent a long time in the colonels office talking in what felt like a loving dissertation defense. I don't think I changed his mind but dude was an idiot anyways. I thought I was gonna walk away all satisfied that I stuck it to the man by talking about sticking it to men, but basically I just got my rear end chewed and all dudes in my unit thought I was gay so they avoided me.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene

Carter's been on a tear and it's entertaining to follow
https://twitter.com/carterforva/status/1194066919185375233

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

RE: Don Cherry: He appeared as a distinguish guest on Tuck's White Power Hour today if you need more evidence that he's a piece of poo poo

https://twitter.com/ndrew_lawrence/status/1194429194631073793

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Don't forget "trad catholics" whatever the gently caress that is with all their crusader imagery (and antisemitism and islamophobia et cetera).

While sedivecantists and even less extreme forms of radical Catholicism undeniably hate other religions (especially Jews), I wouldn't associate any particular imagery with them. With the exception of Mel Gibson (celebrity), they reject modernity to a degree that you really won't see them unless you go looking for it. Protestants and Catholics who have adapted their Catholicism to American Protestantism will use a lot of crusader imagery to hate on Muslims (and to a lesser extent Jews).

The weirdness of extreme Catholicism (like most schisms) is focused against modernity (in toto), Vatican II, modernity, Protestantism, modernity, Vatican II, Jews, modernity, Vatican II, Protestantism, Jews, Muslims and Vatican II. More-or-less in that order.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Mak0rz posted:

RE: Don Cherry: He appeared as a distinguish guest on Tuck's White Power Hour today if you need more evidence that he's a piece of poo poo

https://twitter.com/ndrew_lawrence/status/1194429194631073793

this is the only time i've seen tucker carlson not making his signature face.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Grem posted:

A fun Spartan story....

I was in the Marine Corps in 2007 when 300 came out. My colonel was enthralled at the whole warrior spirit poo poo so he made my entire unit write a book report (yea, we're grown rear end men doing book reports for our jobs) on Gates of Fire and in it talk about how we can use the lessons learned from Spartans to become better warriors. Not a whole lot of people caught a whole lot of stuff in the book, but I knew after I got out of the Marines I wanted a degree in history I studied the hell out of the book, and the actual event, and the actual Spartans. I wrote a pretty lengthy essay on how the bond between men was the source of their warrior spirit and that to bring out the true passion a warrior has to exhibit, we should start taking other men as lovers.

This was in the middle of Don't Ask, Don't Tell and I spent a long time in the colonels office talking in what felt like a loving dissertation defense. I don't think I changed his mind but dude was an idiot anyways. I thought I was gonna walk away all satisfied that I stuck it to the man by talking about sticking it to men, but basically I just got my rear end chewed and all dudes in my unit thought I was gay so they avoided me.

I love that you analysed the history of it and revealed what Spartan warrior ideology was like, but they concluded that you must be the gay one.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

quote:

"There was a peaceful movement of the Bolivian people to recover the respect to our vote, democracy, and our constitution, demanding the president, Evo, and his criminal government to resign because of the FRAUD committed in the elections (even confirmed by OAS) and the deaths caused by his violent actions."
That is one sentence. It's so convoluted that even after reading it several times and typing it out myself I just realised I still hadn't quite parsed it correctly.
    because of the FRAUD committed in the elections - and the deaths caused by [Evo's] violent actions - there was a peaceful movement of the Bolivian people demanding [that] the president ... and his criminal government to resign, [in order] to recover the respect to our vote, democracy, and our constitution.
I'm not sure that even makes it any clearer or if I just think it does because I had to pull it apart in order to rephrase it. Either way, the original is some impressively terrible writing and I don't know how anyone could look at it and think "Yep. That's what I meant to say. People will understand this."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Tiggum posted:

That is one sentence. It's so convoluted that even after reading it several times and typing it out myself I just realised I still hadn't quite parsed it correctly.
    because of the FRAUD committed in the elections - and the deaths caused by [Evo's] violent actions - there was a peaceful movement of the Bolivian people demanding [that] the president ... and his criminal government to resign, [in order] to recover the respect to our vote, democracy, and our constitution.
I'm not sure that even makes it any clearer or if I just think it does because I had to pull it apart in order to rephrase it. Either way, the original is some impressively terrible writing and I don't know how anyone could look at it and think "Yep. That's what I meant to say. People will understand this."

My friend had parents who were infected with whatever brainworms makes you say poo poo like "Abolish the FED, drink colloidal silver." They weren't full on sovereign citizen but they put printed up signs on their car about how income tax was illegal. When my friend pointed out to his parents the numerous spelling and grammar mistakes on these signs their response was "no one reads it anyways."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/AngryBlackLady/status/1194500311420821504?s=20

Imani is not the idiot.

Like, teaching is a hard, underappreciated and underpaid job, but there's also a lot of terrible loving teachers that will be racist or abusive or sexually abusive.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Ok 👌🏻 Boomer 👴🏻 See 👀 that 👈🏾 I 🙋‍♂️ just called 🗣 you 👴🏻👈🏻 a boomer 💀👴🏻👴🏻 haha 😂 it’s funny 😆 because you 💀 were born 👶🏿 between 🙏🏻 1946 and ☝️ 1964 and you🤞 are old 👴🏻👴🏻👴🏻 because 🤷‍♂️ thats what 👋🏿a boomer 👴🏻 is 👉👉 someone 👷‍♂️ who was 👈🏻 born 👶🏻👶🏻👶🏻 between ☝️☝️1946 and🖖🏿 1964 but you 👴🏻👴🏻👈🏾 probably 🧀🧀 didnt know 🧠 that 👉 because you 👌🏻👌🏻 have ✋ Alzheimer’s and forgot 🤣🤣 you silly 🤪🤪 old 👴🏻 timer ⏱ go back 👈🏻 to 👉 the retirement 😬 home 🏠 silly 😜 boomer 👴🏻 and get ✋ off 🚫 the ❗️❗️ internet 👨‍💻 and laugh 😂 at my 👈🏾👈🏾humorous 🗣 🖐 joke!! 🤣🤣🤣🤪🤪💀💀🤡🤡 bye 👋🏻 bye 👋🏻 old boomer 👴🏻👴🏻

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Ok 👌🏻 Boomer 👴🏻 See 👀 that 👈🏾 I 🙋‍♂️ just called 🗣 you 👴🏻👈🏻 a boomer 💀👴🏻👴🏻 haha 😂 it’s funny 😆 because you 💀 were born 👶🏿 between 🙏🏻 1946 and ☝️ 1964 and you🤞 are old 👴🏻👴🏻👴🏻 because 🤷‍♂️ thats what 👋🏿a boomer 👴🏻 is 👉👉 someone 👷‍♂️ who was 👈🏻 born 👶🏻👶🏻👶🏻 between ☝️☝️1946 and🖖🏿 1964 but you 👴🏻👴🏻👈🏾 probably 🧀🧀 didnt know 🧠 that 👉 because you 👌🏻👌🏻 have ✋ Alzheimer’s and forgot 🤣🤣 you silly 🤪🤪 old 👴🏻 timer ⏱ go back 👈🏻 to 👉 the retirement 😬 home 🏠 silly 😜 boomer 👴🏻 and get ✋ off 🚫 the ❗️❗️ internet 👨‍💻 and laugh 😂 at my 👈🏾👈🏾humorous 🗣 🖐 joke!! 🤣🤣🤣🤪🤪💀💀🤡🤡 bye 👋🏻 bye 👋🏻 old boomer 👴🏻👴🏻

Where's the idiot?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Skwirl posted:

Where's the idiot?

Turn off your monitor

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
https://twitter.com/qz/status/1194133986186018816?s=20

One of the most bafflingly stupid tweets I've ever seen

Laurenz
Dec 21, 2015

They call him little janny hotpockets. He was terrific, he was the best, and he did it for free too.

Zaphod42 posted:

https://twitter.com/qz/status/1194133986186018816?s=20

One of the most bafflingly stupid tweets I've ever seen

THIS JUST IN:

Employers favour men not because they are prejudiced against women, but because they have prejudices against women.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
No they're not prejudiced against woman but FOR men. Totally different. It's like white pride. It's not racist it's just being proud of your race.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

Imagine being the government employee who created that image. "Yes, this block of white text on red looks like a normal image a not crazy person would post, I'm sure it will come across as persuasive and not creepy as hell."

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Darkhold posted:

No they're not prejudiced against woman but FOR men. Totally different. It's like white pride. It's not racist it's just being proud of your race.

I think it's more like "prejudiced is a bad word, I'm not bad therefore I'm not prejudiced, whatever that means. Anyway, here are my opinions about women"

Just one of those meaningless phrases people say that they think inoculates them against backlash for spouting off with a hot take. JUST MY OPINION

NOT RACIST BUT

I'M JUST SAYING IS ALL

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Data Graham posted:

I think it's more like "prejudiced is a bad word, I'm not bad therefore I'm not prejudiced, whatever that means. Anyway, here are my opinions about women"

Just one of those meaningless phrases people say that they think inoculates them against backlash for spouting off with a hot take. JUST MY OPINION

NOT RACIST BUT

I'M JUST SAYING IS ALL

My journalist brother had a good comment about this.

"What they are really saying is that they are racist but they are at least little ashamed of it"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

dipshitsayswhat?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Adam is a dipshit name

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

dipshitsayswhat?

This reminds me of an interview with Nintendo game counselors where someone was real and some GameCube game was in Spanish, and they had to explain it was some sort of alien gibberish made up for the game, but the caller wouldn’t have it and kept ranting about Spanish infiltrating her way of life

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

zoux posted:

dipshitsayswhat?

Gettin' REAL TIRED of these god damned edutacoinal shows teaching MY KIDS skills

Laurenz
Dec 21, 2015

They call him little janny hotpockets. He was terrific, he was the best, and he did it for free too.
God I hate it when people try to teach my kids useful skills that will give them an advantage in life :argh:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFymN2GZii4

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/MrJasonLevy/status/1194400843191214080
https://twitter.com/MrJasonLevy/status/1194439477755863045

:chloe:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

evening folks, my name's Jason and I'll be performing a little tableside magic for you here this evening

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Pastry of the Year posted:

evening folks, my name's Jason and I'll be performing a little tableside magic for you here this evening

I can hear this post.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Crusader imagery is stupid on part because only the first crusade was arguably successful and one of the most significant things a crusader army ever did was destroy the Christian city of Constantinople

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That's why it's stupid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.

Scratch Monkey posted:

Crusader imagery is stupid on part because only the first crusade was arguably successful and one of the most significant things a crusader army ever did was destroy the Christian city of Constantinople

Given that the crusades were an excuse for the ruling oligarchs to get rid of their excess lovely violent men by targeting them against a sinister OTHER, it's not very smart imagery but it is pretty telling of the (wannabe) catholic nazis to use it.