Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Izzhov posted:

Are there any series of fantasy books other than Harry Potter and LOTR that are both a) finished and b) good? Everything I can think of either fails the first requirement (ASoIaF) or the second (Eragon).

Jack Vance's Lyonesse trilogy (Suldrun's Garden, The Green Pearl, Madouc).

Patricia McKillip's Riddlemaster trilogy (The Riddle-Master of Hed, Heir of Sea and Fire, Harpist in the Wind).

Stephen R. Donaldson's Mordant's Need books (The Mirror of Her Dreams, A Man Rides Through.) Generally a good choice if you want to try SRD -- it doesn't have as much of the dark ickiness of the Covenant or Gap Cycle books.

Tanith Lee's Tales from the Flat Earth (Night's Master, Death's Master, Delusion's Master, Delirium's Mistress, Midnight's Sorceries). Not strictly a series in the sense of an ongoing story -- more like an interlocking set of novels with the same setting.

David Eddings's Belgariad is decent by extruded fantasy product standards, if you want something that's quick, entertaining, and unchallenging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
looking for something like john darnielle's universal harvester, jennifer mcmahon's the winter people, or william gay's little sister death - atmospheric rural setting, significant horror elements, preferably centred around a family. any recs?

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010

chernobyl kinsman posted:

looking for something like john darnielle's universal harvester, jennifer mcmahon's the winter people, or william gay's little sister death - atmospheric rural setting, significant horror elements, preferably centred around a family. any recs?

A bit of a stretch, but We have Always Lived in the Castle satisfies 2.5 of those requirements.

Lilikoi
Oct 11, 2012
Any recommendations for historical fiction set during the early middles ages (6-10CE)? Preferably with major female characters. I've read very few books set during this period, but fwiw, I liked Hild and hated The Saxon Chronicles. I just don't like Cornwall.

Ranger Vick
Dec 30, 2005

chernobyl kinsman posted:

Not sure how well it will fit, but you can give Mongrels by Stephen Graham Jones a try. Coming of age story about a boy in a rural werewolf family. First book I thought of that could check your boxes.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Lilikoi posted:

Any recommendations for historical fiction set during the early middles ages (6-10CE)? Preferably with major female characters. I've read very few books set during this period, but fwiw, I liked Hild and hated The Saxon Chronicles. I just don't like Cornwall.

This is pretty good and hits all your requirements: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Count_Belisarius

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Ranger Vick posted:

Not sure how well it will fit, but you can give Mongrels by Stephen Graham Jones a try. Coming of age story about a boy in a rural werewolf family. First book I thought of that could check your boxes.

ahahaha good suggestion bro

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

A human heart posted:

ahahaha good suggestion bro

One of your favourites?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Got an unusual request here - I'm looking for examples of dialect from 1920s Devon, whether it be from a 1920s novel that doesn't have its cast speak exclusively in RP, or a piece of non-fiction work. Any suggestions?

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Got an unusual request here - I'm looking for examples of dialect from 1920s Devon, whether it be from a 1920s novel that doesn't have its cast speak exclusively in RP, or a piece of non-fiction work. Any suggestions?

John Cowper Powys' contemporary novels, A Glastonbury Romance etc, are probably a good bet.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
I'm looking for some period-piece action thrillers, like Frederick Forsyth's Day of the Jackal or Loup Durand's Daddy. I'm up for whatever as long as it's generally set somewhere in the past.

On a vaguely-related note: are the Jason Bourne books worth reading? Ludlum in general?

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007
I'd like to read some slice-of-life SF set in deeply thought-out, deeply weird-to-us worlds, where the inhabitants are fairly typical inhabitants of those worlds, doing things that aren't that consequential, and where the narrator assumes I'm also a typical member of this world who takes its cosmological/cultural/etc assumptions for granted.

(This is half-inspired by reading Ada Palmer's Too Like the Lightning and Seven Surrenders and falling absolutely in love with her world but hating the characters, and half by reading "Coming of Age in Karhide.")

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.

Selachian posted:

Patricia McKillip's Riddlemaster trilogy (The Riddle-Master of Hed, Heir of Sea and Fire, Harpist in the Wind).

Dude I thought I was the only person who's heard of this. It's incredible.

another fantasy author people might like is Carol Berg. She's got a few trilogies and stand alones. Everything I've read by her is solid.

Echo Cian
Jun 16, 2011

DemonDarkhorse posted:

Dude I thought I was the only person who's heard of this. It's incredible.

another fantasy author people might like is Carol Berg. She's got a few trilogies and stand alones. Everything I've read by her is solid.

You're not alone! (even though it seems like it amid the sea of endless Mistborn and Wheel of Time recs...)

I've been recommending Carol Berg for as long as I've been posting in TBB, more people need to read her.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Picayune posted:

I'm looking for some period-piece action thrillers, like Frederick Forsyth's Day of the Jackal or Loup Durand's Daddy. I'm up for whatever as long as it's generally set somewhere in the past.

On a vaguely-related note: are the Jason Bourne books worth reading? Ludlum in general?
Jeffrey Deaver's Garden of the Beasts? It's a pretty standard spy story set in Nazi Germany, enjoyable enough.

As for Ludlum, I'd go with "no" but it's airport fiction so if you like that YMMV. On the plus side they're all interchangeable.

edit: Hell, I forgot my own question. I'm looking for a book on Houdini, more specifically his war on psychics and mediums. Any recommendations?

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Mar 21, 2017

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

Jeffrey Deaver's Garden of the Beasts? It's a pretty standard spy story set in Nazi Germany, enjoyable enough.

As for Ludlum, I'd go with "no" but it's airport fiction so if you like that YMMV. On the plus side they're all interchangeable.

edit: Hell, I forgot my own question. I'm looking for a book on Houdini, more specifically his war on psychics and mediums. Any recommendations?

You might enjoy Houdini: His Life and Art by James (The Amazing) Randi and Bert Sugar.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Picayune posted:

I am almost finished Shogun, and I can say that it is quite an entertaining piece of historical fiction. It is loosely based on the real story of William Adams. I wouldn't describe it as an action thriller, but it definitely has tension. It is set in 1600, as the sengoku period is leading into the tokugawa shogunate. The book is about an English privateer ship captain who is forced to land in Japan, and the role that he ends up playing in the upcoming power struggle.

Watching the main character struggle to adapt, and seeing his transformation from European to more Japanese habits is quite fascinating. When he meets his old crew after a prolonged absence, it definitely drives home the point of how much he has changed.

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
Any recommendations on near future sci-fi 100-500 years, maybe with things not necessarily in space? Something like Kim Stanley Robinson (which I have never read).

succ fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 21, 2017

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

succ posted:

Any recommendations on near future sci-fi 100-500 years, maybe with things not necessarily in space? Something like Kim Stanley Robinson (which I have never read).

It seems like you answered your own question there.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

succ posted:

Try Robert Charles Wilson's Spin.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

succ posted:

KSR is great, start with Red mars and keep going.

^^^ pre-emptive Thanks :P
I'd like some answers to his question, except I've read the mars trilogy and the one in the generation ship kind of depressing that one, good still but she got old and sad :(

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

succ posted:

Have you considered maybe trying Kim Stanley Robinson?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Dirty Frank posted:

KSR is great, start with Red mars and keep going.

^^^ pre-emptive Thanks :P
I'd like some answers to his question, except I've read the mars trilogy and the one in the generation ship kind of depressing that one, good still but she got old and sad :(

Glad to see you were touched by Aurora, that book was really special.

Ken MacLeod started a very interesting trilogy called Corporate Wars in 2016 with two novels, Dissidence and Insurgence. The third book is expected this year. It's about a big struggle for the Solar System, lots of shady characters and motivations, virtual worlds, machines going sentient, virtual mercenaries in robot bodies... Fun stuff and not as political as most of his earlier works.

If you don't want space, Ian McDonald is hard to beat. His River of Gods deals with a balkanized India affected by climate change and near future technology. It's brilliant. A friend of mine described it as "Midnight's Children, but cyberpunk". Luna New Moon, Brasyl and The Dervish House are all also good.

e:damned Scottish surnames

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

thanks, maybe I will Take the plunge! Okay!

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
I read the synopsis of 2312 and it didn't sound like what I was looking for. I'll try his earlier stuff that is more widely regarded. Thanks for the recommendations!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Is there a good biography of Julie d'Aubigny?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

succ posted:

I read the synopsis of 2312 and it didn't sound like what I was looking for. I'll try his earlier stuff that is more widely regarded. Thanks for the recommendations!

I thought 2312 was very meh. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Looking for two recs: Godzilla/Giant monster/Kaiju sci-fi books and x-men style mutant books? Has anyone with writing talent ever done a good book version of any of this types of things?

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

succ posted:

David Marusek's Getting to Know You, Paolo Bacigalupi's The Windup Girl, Gibson's Neuromancer, Stephenson's Snow Crash, Atwood's Oryx and Crake, Le Guin's The Lathe of Heaven, Boudinot's Blueprints of the Afterlife, James' The Children of Men, Dick's Don Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, and maybe The Unincorporated Man, although I didn't particularly care for it. Of course, there are also classics like Brave New World and Fahrenheit 451 if you never got around to those in school.

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

August is the Cruelest Month
Good non-fiction covering the 7 year war?

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

Is there a preferred edition/translation for The Tale of Genji?

hog fat
Aug 31, 2016
my radical adherence to stoicism demands I be a raging islamophobic asshole. perhaps ten more days on twitter will teach me the errors of my ways

Filthy Monkey posted:

I am almost finished Shogun, and I can say that it is quite an entertaining piece of historical fiction. It is loosely based on the real story of William Adams. I wouldn't describe it as an action thriller, but it definitely has tension. It is set in 1600, as the sengoku period is leading into the tokugawa shogunate. The book is about an English privateer ship captain who is forced to land in Japan, and the role that he ends up playing in the upcoming power struggle.

I'm gonna go with a counter-recommendation and say it's 1150 pages of quasi-literary tripe. Quasi in the sense that he uses big words gratuitously; tripe in the sense that there's a lot of embarrassing homoerotic sex fantasies and heavy adulation of all things Japanese. The payoff is not worth it and Clavell's understanding of Eastern philosophy is patently absurd

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Can anybody recommend a good biography of Georges Clemenceau?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

hog fat posted:

I'm gonna go with a counter-recommendation and say it's 1150 pages of quasi-literary tripe. Quasi in the sense that he uses big words gratuitously; tripe in the sense that there's a lot of embarrassing homoerotic sex fantasies and heavy adulation of all things Japanese. The payoff is not worth it and Clavell's understanding of Eastern philosophy is patently absurd

Nah

hog fat
Aug 31, 2016
my radical adherence to stoicism demands I be a raging islamophobic asshole. perhaps ten more days on twitter will teach me the errors of my ways

you're right; forgot to mention the gratuitous references to Blackthorne's penis, that overwrought hawk simile and the nonexistent character development leading up to Blackthorne's miraculous conversion to samurai. also that every Japanese samurai who ever lived was incredibly honorable and had no fear of death. karma, neh?

hog fat fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Mar 30, 2017

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Ive not read that book because i'm very smart but i do remember reading an excerpt where a japanese woman talks in heavily accented english to a white guy she's loving and it was really bad

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Mira posted:

Is there a preferred edition/translation for The Tale of Genji?

Read this and decide: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/07/20/the-sensualist-books-buruma I read Tyler's and loved it mostly because I love footnotes - if you prefer fluid prose over intentional obscurity and don't need to understand the exact meaning of every single one of the thousand or so poems in the book, you may choose another one.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

hog fat posted:

you're right; forgot to mention the gratuitous references to Blackthorne's penis, that overwrought hawk simile and the nonexistent character development leading up to Blackthorne's miraculous conversion to samurai. also that every Japanese samurai who ever lived was incredibly honorable and had no fear of death. karma, neh?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Can anyone recommend any of the "Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" books? There's a lot of them and books like that - continuations by writers other than the original author - tend to be of variable quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Wheat Loaf posted:

Can anyone recommend any of the "Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" books? There's a lot of them and books like that - continuations by writers other than the original author - tend to be of variable quality.

I've read probably thirty or forty different books in that general vein over the years.

I honestly can't recommend any of them, no.

The "best" of them were the Solar Pons books, but only because they knew they were a straight pulp pastiche and didn't try to be anything more.

Sometimes you'll get a good book where Holmes shows up as an incidental character, like in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen or Night in the Lonesome October.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Mar 30, 2017