Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I bought duke 3d off steam and both the megaton edition and eduke 3d suffer from horrendous mouse lag even when I've turned off vsync and mouse acceleration. Any help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I bought duke 3d off steam and both the megaton edition and eduke 3d suffer from horrendous mouse lag even when I've turned off vsync and mouse acceleration. Any help?

Do you have triple buffering forced in your driver settings?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

With vsync off that doesn't make any difference.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

oops.

An Enormous Boner fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Dec 21, 2013

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I've been doing a Doom binge in celebration of the 20th anniversary, playing some of most the famous wads. I played a lot of Doom in 1993-1996, but that's it, so for me they were unknown.

Goddamn Deus Vult 2 is great.

SnipeBob
Dec 8, 2006

"You mechs may have copper wiring to reroute your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel."
I've been doing a UV run through of Doom 2. It's been about ten years since I did my last full run through, so I forgot a lot of details.

I think I found a glitch in Map20 Gotcha!. In the room with the stairs and the plasma rifle, there's a wall that drops as soon as you pick up the rifle. After you kill the monsters, you can walk over the lowered floor. You can stand on it, and it will slowly raise to the ceiling. You'll take damage, like a crushing ceiling, but it stops at about 30% health and you'll be permanently stuck.

I don't remember any other crushing floors in the game, so it came as a surprise. Are there other crushing floor effects in the game, or is this just a glitch? I'm using Zandronum, for what's it's worth.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

How do you record demos in GZDoom+Brutal Doom? -record doesn't seem to work.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

You don't. ZDoom and its variants don't support demos. Someone else around here should be able to point you towards a sourceport that does, though.

VVV Welp, shows how much I know about the demo scene! :downs:

NuclearPotato fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 21, 2013

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

NuclearPotato posted:

You don't. ZDoom and its variants don't support demos.

Yes they do. It's just that no gently caress are given wrt. demo compatibility with other versions, so if you record something in GZDoom 1.5.0, it will most certainly not play back in ZDoom 2.7.1.

The Doom demoscene's port of choice is PrBoom+, but you cannot use Brutal Doom with it.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Oh well, I've been out of the loop for a while when it comes to recording. Fraps used to be a thing, what's the top dog today? Preferably free.

danbo
Dec 29, 2010

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Oh well, I've been out of the loop for a while when it comes to recording. Fraps used to be a thing, what's the top dog today? Preferably free.

If you have a Nvidia card, Shadowplay is what all the cool kids are using.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Fraps Free has a 30 second limit on video and the pay version is like $35.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I started playing Heretic again, and it feels like the ethereal crossbow's damage varies wildly. There will be times when it takes like 3 arrows to kill a golem or fire gargoyle, but then other times when I nick an enemy with the smaller projectile and it kills it. Also, Heretic's aesthetic is wonderful :unsmigghh:

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

areyoucontagious posted:

I started playing Heretic again, and it feels like the ethereal crossbow's damage varies wildly. There will be times when it takes like 3 arrows to kill a golem or fire gargoyle, but then other times when I nick an enemy with the smaller projectile and it kills it. Also, Heretic's aesthetic is wonderful :unsmigghh:

"When fired, it launches a spread of three bolts, the central one dealing 10-80 damage and the other two dealing 2-16, for a total of 14-112 damage." - Doom Wiki

I think Doom engine games have pretty wide ranges of damage in general, but it is much more noticeable with the crossbow since it has such a comparatively low rate of fire and projectile count.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Open Broadcaster Software also makes local recordings, it's not just for streaming.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Nvidia Shadowplay is pretty awesome if you have an Nvidia card.

Superschaf
May 20, 2010

Fallom posted:

Nvidia Shadowplay is pretty awesome if you have an Nvidia card.

GZDoom uses OpenGL and Shadowplay is sadly DirectX only for now.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Superschaf posted:

Yeah, I'm really hoping they expand it to OpenGL soon, because Shadowplay is kinda fantastic.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

MrBims posted:

"When fired, it launches a spread of three bolts, the central one dealing 10-80 damage and the other two dealing 2-16, for a total of 14-112 damage." - Doom Wiki

I think Doom engine games have pretty wide ranges of damage in general, but it is much more noticeable with the crossbow since it has such a comparatively low rate of fire and projectile count.

Ah, that makes a whole ton of sense. In that case, there are times when the RNG hates me- nothing like using 40 arrows to kill two golems and an undead warrior!

Superschaf
May 20, 2010

Dominic White posted:

Yeah, I'm really hoping they expand it to OpenGL soon, because Shadowplay is kinda fantastic.

They seem to be working on capturing the whole desktop now, which would give us a roundabout way to capture OpenGL games, but yeah, native OpenGL support would be fantastic. The quality is quite amazing.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Superschaf posted:

You can always use Doomsday :v:

(don't use Doomsday)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

MSI Afterburner has a video recording utility that always seemed to work fairly well for me.

CyRaptor
Aug 27, 2004

Fuck Sandy Petersen, again.
(I promise this is gonna be the last time I post about this)

My :siren: 20TH ANNIVERSARY LIVESTREAM OF THE ULTIMATE DOOM :siren: is going live in just a few minutes! The show itself will start at 6pm EST (or maybe a little after, depending on how many people show up by then).

If you are just a casual fan of Doom, drop by to learn everything you could ever learn to hope about this ancient game and more! Watch me play old Alphas and demonstrate how the final game could've been even worse!

If you're a longtime Doomer, drop by just to watch me devolve into a pile of sapient jelly as the night goes on, especially once I hit Episode 4! Also, I can now 100% CONFIRM that the legendary JOSH MURPHY will be making an appearance at some point!

If you're reading this six hours after I make this post it's probably still going! If it's not, then you can watch the archived recording on Twitch if you're still interested, and I'll probably upload an edited version of the whole ordeal offsite at some undetermined point in the future!

HERE'S THE VERY IMPORTANT LINK I SERIOUSLY ALMOST JUST FORGOT TO PUT IN THIS POST:
https://www.twitch.tv/cyraptor

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I notice a few of the people here were put off by the first couple of levels in Hellbound. Don't worry - it's not all brown cityscapes. After the first couple maps, it's onto UAC bases with some areas clearly inspired by Doom 1, and then into a weird foresty place, and then into higher-tech bases which descend into fleshy hell-tunnels, then deeper still into demon fortresses and back up a huge elevator to the top of a skyscraper and into open streets.

It's pretty cool in how it keeps shifting you between environments, and fights range from panicky and claustrophobic (it assumes you know how to bait Revenants into punching) to wide open and spammy.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mak0rz posted:

You can always use Doomsday :v:

(don't use Doomsday)

I think Doomsday dropped DirectX some times ago (I certainly see no mention of DirectX here), but I'm not too familiar with that port. I only know they've been embroiled in their 2.0 rewrite for years. Though they're not as bad at this as the Doom Legacy guys. :mmmhmm:

Some dumb idiot
Jun 6, 2012

Step by step
Hop the mountain
Step by step
Hop the ocean
Step by step
Hop the rainbow
I'll be running

areyoucontagious posted:

Ah, that makes a whole ton of sense. In that case, there are times when the RNG hates me- nothing like using 40 arrows to kill two golems and an undead warrior!

Yeah Heretic is kinda weird in that regard as damage spread on pretty much all the weapons is ridiculously high, I guess to properly simulate that D&D feel. :v:

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

CyRaptor posted:

HERE'S THE VERY IMPORTANT LINK I SERIOUSLY ALMOST JUST FORGOT TO PUT IN THIS POST:
https://www.twitch.tv/cyraptor

Awesome, now that the kinks have been worked out it looks like it's going pretty smoothly

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Stream is pretty unwatchable for me, buffers for ages after 20-30 seconds of video play and skips ahead a ton. Probably because I'm in Euroland. :smith:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Twitch is just poo poo in general lately

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Twitch did some sort of "upgrade" to their video player a couple of days ago that makes everything run like poo poo, it's not your fault.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Cat Mattress posted:

I think Doomsday dropped DirectX some times ago (I certainly see no mention of DirectX here), but I'm not too familiar with that port. I only know they've been embroiled in their 2.0 rewrite for years. Though they're not as bad at this as the Doom Legacy guys. :mmmhmm:

Ah, the last time I used Doomsday (2006 or so, I think) it still had DirectX support. Whether or not this was the last stable or one of the thousands of betas or RCs or whatever of 2.0 they'll never get to finishing I can't remember.

Anyway, I'm actually quite liking D2tWID, but Jesus if there's one thing id did that nobody should ever loving do is make inescapable nukage/lava traps. That poo poo is irritating. I could swear there are way, way more such death traps in this wad than in Hell on Earth, though. Am I mistaken?

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
I just "discovered" TiMidity by being a fussy child about the music. I basically followed this guide. The soundfont linked is dead, and I found it elsewhere (download SGM-V2.01, 176MB). Works with every GZDoom/ZDoom variant I've tried so far.

Every song I've listened to sounds much nicer with beefier instruments. I've never futzed around with soundfonts before, so if anyone has better suggestions, please share.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Map 12 in Hellbound :drat:

HMP is too easy, but UV was too hard :saddowns:

At least for ironman play, the levels are just a hair too big, so dying near the end sucked. Or I'm a pussy, choose one.

But yeah, this level design is pretty amazing.

edit: Seriously god drat, the first part of the level is just ok, but the ending sections are amazing, play that map!

victrix fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Dec 22, 2013

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

victrix posted:

At least for ironman play, the levels are just a hair too big, so dying near the end sucked. Or I'm a pussy, choose one.

edit: Seriously god drat, the first part of the level is just ok, but the ending sections are amazing, play that map!

No, I feel the same way. Many of the maps cross that threshold where I'm uncomfortable trying to "ironman" them on UV, and many feel like they would have been better off with ~70 fewer enemies and a handful fewer rooms. Great WAD in general, though.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

jerkstoresup posted:

I just "discovered" TiMidity by being a fussy child about the music. I basically followed this guide. The soundfont linked is dead, and I found it elsewhere (download SGM-V2.01, 176MB). Works with every GZDoom/ZDoom variant I've tried so far.

Every song I've listened to sounds much nicer with beefier instruments. I've never futzed around with soundfonts before, so if anyone has better suggestions, please share.

I always had problems with timidity++ in the past, probably due to 64 bit crap but recently I used BASSMIDI which works so much better and with an easy config. I also use SGM. I had WeedGM 3 running in the past but SGM sounds better.

Superschaf
May 20, 2010

Timidity is a pain in the rear end. Fluidsynth works much more nicely, all you need is to copy over a single dll.

I tried a lot of soundfonts over the past few weeks and all of them sound lovely on some songs/parts. Then I found this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tmN1a3cDMg

It tries to replicate the sound hardware Doom was originally composed on and works really well on all songs I've played so far. Just make sure to lessen the reverb in Fluidsynth, the default reverb is just way too strong. I tried BASSMIDI first (it is recommended in the description) but it was glitching for me, so I guess better luck? :shrug:

The file in the description of that video is a .sfpack file, so here's the uncompressed .sf2 file if you don't want to download new programs. SC-55.sf2

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

jerkstoresup posted:

I just "discovered" TiMidity by being a fussy child about the music. I basically followed this guide.

Doesn't seem to be saying anything more than the official ZDoom doc... It has handy, if terse, instructions for all synths and soundfonts, and other audio settings.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

victrix posted:

The levels are way longer than your average Doom 2 map. You really should be saving at least a few times a level, simply because of the length. Just because players nowadays have adjusted to playing the old campaigns at the highest difficulty without saving doesn't mean that it's ideal for everything.

There's a secret level branching off map 14 or 15, I think, which is a UAC vault filled with demon artifacts. Look for a pedestal that has broken and is oozing out demon goo. There's a puzzle in that room to solve. It's well worth doing.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 22, 2013

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Dominic White posted:

The levels are way longer than your average Doom 2 map. You really should be saving at least a few times a level, simply because of the length.

There's a secret level branching off map 14 or 15, I think, which is a UAC vault filled with demon artifacts. Look for a pedestal that has broken and is oozing out demon goo. There's a puzzle in that room to solve. It's well worth doing.

The secret level is always off map 15.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Ah, I'd forgotten. Anyway, I think map 12 is where Hellbound really gets into gear. 12-15 are all consistently cool designs, and even just using the vanilla textures, they feel like distinct places with purposes.