Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Krispy Wafer posted:

Wasn’t there a body next to the machine gun so it’s technically manned?

The YouTube copy is only subtitled in Spanish so I can follow the action at a preschool level at best.

I thiiiink it's either a ghillie suited human figure or some rubble trash stuff in a very human shape

There is an English subbed version on YouTube somewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER

If you're talking about this dolly zoom through the body of a burnt out car, you appear to have missed that the grass is rustling the whole time at the bottom of the screen indicating this is actually a POV of someone STALKERING them. If your copy was low enough quality that you didnt see this then get a DVD or BluRay rip post haste cause you is missin out.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

jazzyjay posted:

If you're talking about this dolly zoom through the body of a burnt out car, you appear to have missed that the grass is rustling the whole time at the bottom of the screen indicating this is actually a POV of someone STALKERING them. If your copy was low enough quality that you didnt see this then get a DVD or BluRay rip post haste cause you is missin out.

Just the whole thing is what I'm referring too.

The whole scene is full visual language and tone to unsettle and make the viewer uncomfortable

That there is such a lot to unpack, but that it is all exactly there is sort of the grand idea I am pointing at.

It's.very much baby's first artful movie shot, but I stand by it it being a cool and memorable one

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Fun fact about that movie, it isn't pronounced like the English word for one who stalks (rhymes with "rocker"), the L is pronounced so it's more like "stall-kur."

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
rocker is an interesting choice for a word that rhymes with stalker

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
walker? no. talker? nah. caulker? nuh uh. oh, ive got it: blinker

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Get out of here Stallker

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Baron von Eevl posted:

Fun fact about that movie, it isn't pronounced like the English word for one who stalks (rhymes with "rocker"), the L is pronounced so it's more like "stall-kur."

The L is always pronounced in the English word for one who stalks.

Like, I don't know if I'm missing a joke or you just pronounce words weirdly.

Edit: I suppose I could understand if you rhyme it with Hawker. Converting the L to a W I can get, depending on accent, but not dropping it entirely.

rydiafan has a new favorite as of 06:53 on Sep 15, 2019

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I am the one who stalks

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

rydiafan posted:

Like, I don't know if I'm missing a joke or you just pronounce words weirdly.

Edit: I suppose I could understand if you rhyme it with Hawker. Converting the L to a W I can get, depending on accent, but not dropping it entirely.

With my English accent I pronounce it more like "store-kerr" I can definitely see a viable bread of it being "stoll-kar"

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

rydiafan posted:

this is going to go on forever but no not always because accents

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I pronounce it the way one pronounces "sword"

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
That's not how you pronounce "sword".

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Well how do you pronounce it?

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Cleretic posted:

Well how do you pronounce it?

"Sword"

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Well I feel foolish.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

It's weird how read rhymes with lead and read rhymes with lead, but lead doesn't rhyme with read, and read doesn't rhyme with lead.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It's weird how read rhymes with lead and read rhymes with lead, but lead doesn't rhyme with read, and read doesn't rhyme with lead.

It does, if you did it a minute ago :grin:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Never really realized it before, but there's a scene in John wick 3 where he takes apart 3 Colt revolvers to make one working one, and it's an homage to that scene in "The Good, Bad, and Ugly" where Tuco takes apart 3 Colt revolvers to make, you guessed it, one working one.

Although Wick's is a bit dumber since he only uses it once and then leaves it instead of running and gunning after fully loading it. Especially since he was in a place that had lots of ammo for it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander has a new favorite as of 22:22 on Sep 15, 2019

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Edit: thanks.

Adeline Weishaupt has a new favorite as of 22:25 on Sep 15, 2019

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

umalt posted:

Ya know, you could call something pointless without using language that dehumanizes people.

Good point. Fixed.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Good point. Fixed.

I appreciate that but I must inform you that I had already reported your post. My condolences.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
More like oldpatienceless

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Never really realized it before, but there's a scene in John wick 3 where he takes apart 3 Colt revolvers to make one working one, and it's an homage to that scene in "The Good, Bad, and Ugly" where Tuco takes apart 3 Colt revolvers to make, you guessed it, one working one.

Although Wick's is a bit dumber since he only uses it once and then leaves it instead of running and gunning after fully loading it. Especially since he was in a place that had lots of ammo for it.

I was reminded of the scene with Kevin Kline in Silverado, although that was probably a reference to The Good, Bad, and Ugly too.

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER

I too was deeply disappointed it was used once and discarded. During the assembly I was getting hyped there would be a whole scene of spaghetti western fanning revolver from the hip action.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, me too. A western gunfight in John Wick movies would be pretty awesome.

There's always hope for the next chapter though.

heckyeahpathy
Jul 25, 2013

jazzyjay posted:

I too was deeply disappointed it was used once and discarded. During the assembly I was getting hyped there would be a whole scene of spaghetti western fanning revolver from the hip action.

I thought him using it once after 30+ seconds of putting it together was hilarious, and was the moment that established JW3 as a slapstick not-parody-but-parody perfect execution of the franchise.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
We didn’t get a kick rear end shootout but there were some knives at least. And a hatchet.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

heckyeahpathy posted:

I thought him using it once after 30+ seconds of putting it together was hilarious, and was the moment that established JW3 as a slapstick not-parody-but-parody perfect execution of the franchise.

For Christ sake it ended with the dudes from the raid and him killing a fanboy

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Baron von Eevl posted:

In Russian, sure. In English Stalker is still pronounced like the English word "stalker". Duh.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Gargamel Gibson posted:

In Russian, sure. In English Stalker is still pronounced like the English word "stalker". Duh.

The transliterated word is сталкер, if they wanted it to be pronounced like the English word stalker they would have written it стакер.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Cталкер = stanker.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I liked it to a degree because it's this very frantic moment of guys with guns coming to shoot him, but Wick only needs one bullet. After he gets the first gun, he just kills the next guy and takes his gun, and so on. Except in this case, instead of taking guns, they end up with a wall of knives.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

MariusLecter posted:

Cталкер = stanker.

I'm 100% going to start pronouncing it this way, thanks.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

jazzyjay posted:

Yea that was like the only lame part of the movie imo. There was no reason for him to just fire one bullet and drop the gun, I mean only seconds later he's running from guys with guns and it seems like a fully loaded revolver would've been useful there.

On the positive side, John Wick is such a great series for subtle tactical decisions you see Wick making in real time. They're easy to miss unless you've seen the movie a few times. FOR INSTANCE, during the scene where Wick is defending the Continental from the High Table goons, he runs out of ammo and chucks his rifle at a guy's face. Well, if you go back about 10 seconds before that, you see him purposely take the shoulder strap of the rifle off, because he already knows he's low on ammo and might have to throw it at somebody.

Or a slightly less subtle one from the fight scene in the antique weapon shop, right after he shoots the guy with the revolver he runs around a corner. He clearly was planning to keep running but then he sees how long the hallway is and he immediately realizes that if he keeps running the guys behind him can just shoot him in the back so he does a quick 180 and waits for them to round the corner.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I have no idea if this is deliberate, but I'm going with it anyway.

In episode 7 of Stranger Things season 3, the reporter-weirdo dude does this massive speech to Joyce Byers (Winona Ryder) and Jim Hopper (David Harbour) that boils down to "will you two just do it and get it over with?"

Just like what the character played by Janeane Garofalo in Reality Bites, 25 years ago, said.

To the character played by Winona Ryder.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Memento posted:

I have no idea if this is deliberate, but I'm going with it anyway.

In episode 7 of Stranger Things season 3, the reporter-weirdo dude does this massive speech to Joyce Byers (Winona Ryder) and Jim Hopper (David Harbour) that boils down to "will you two just do it and get it over with?"

Just like what the character played by Janeane Garofalo in Reality Bites, 25 years ago, said.

To the character played by Winona Ryder.

While Garofalo was talking to Ryder and Hawke in Reality Bites and Hawke's daughter is an actress in Stranger Things. It isn't a perfect analogue (I don't think Hawke or Ryder act in any scenes together) but still probably very intentional.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Krispy Wafer posted:

While Garofalo was talking to Ryder and Hawke in Reality Bites and Hawke's daughter is an actress in Stranger Things. It isn't a perfect analogue (I don't think Hawke or Ryder act in any scenes together) but still probably very intentional.

:aaaaa:

Holy poo poo I had literally no idea that that was Ethan Hawke and Uma Thurman's daughter.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Just realised something about The Place That Sends You Mad from the Twelve Tasks of Asterix; it's a parody of labyrinthine and unhelpful bureaucracy, sure, but how the whole thing shakes out makes sense; they're a pain not (well, not just) because the whole place is deliberately set up to be a nightmare to navigate, but because it's so compartmentalised and ossified that most of the staff only know how to do one thing, and while they know they'll get in trouble for not doing their task correctly, they don't know and don't care about anything else, and when someone asks for something else they hand them off to the person they think is responsible for it. So when you give them a task they don't know how to deal with, they get concerned because they don't know whether or not it's their responsibility, and find themselves caught in their own mess because no one else does either.

And of course, the people who DO know how everything is supposed to work and can cut through the red tape are the ones who've let it get into that condition, but also the ones going to find themselves in trouble when they fail at something important.

It all makes a lot more sense after actually working in administration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
its like the vogons really