Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

LOOK AT THAT FACE!!!

omg that is the face of a happy content lil birb :3:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

H110Hawk posted:

This was the best thing when our bird sitter was caring for Mindo! Pictures of them hanging out on the couch, bein a bird. :kimchi:

Hopefully they post more (though I don't expect any of Steve/Inko), they were given permission. I asked on the post if he has done any tricks for them yet, and they said "give paw and rolls on to his back" :3:

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot. posted:

One of the hardest parts of living in Japan was resisting bird merch all the time. There's so much and it's all so goddamn cute!! Thankfully I have a lot more restraint with internet shopping. It's harder to walk away when a little plush derp is right there in your hands. :(

edit: Which reminds me, here are a few pics of bird things from my visit this summer. I went to the bird cafe in Kobe again!

Sparrow parfait :3:

Friendly little buddy waddled over to where we were sitting and snuggled up for a nap

Accidentally caught a budgie doing a sick flip

Found this doof at the mall near my old apartment. HOW COULD I NOT BUY IT

This is all amazing, I'd love to go visit Japan for a few weeks or stay a while. That cafe would be very high on the list of things to visit!

Potatiel :3:

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009
My favorite bird picture/video blog has a whole section with gift ideas:http://becausebirds.com/bird-lover-gift-ideas/

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Oh wow this one is a set of three rings. I want it :stare:

e: omg

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

That bitey-whitey* scarf and those rings are pretty clever

*new favourite term

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Battle Pigeon posted:

That bitey-whitey* scarf and those rings are pretty clever

*new favourite term

Agreed, bitey-whitey is perfect.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Bitey's dead. Help. I don't know what to do

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
As in hes just dropped????

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I woke up this morning and he was dead. I don't know what to do. No breathing, no heartbeat.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Be sad because you just lost a friend, but eventually be happy because they had a great time with you.

I'm sorry for your loss.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Thats really horrible :( I'm really sorry to hear it

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I'm seeing my Grandad and aunt and her family today. But I don't know what to do. My parents were geting him Christmas presents.

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."
I'm so sorry for your loss. :( Sometimes these things happen abruptly.

Wrecking Ball
Jul 16, 2011
Oh my God.
We were just getting to know Bitey!! D:

I'm so sorry, that's awful.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
:(

Sometimes it happens with young birds. :( It sounded like Bitey was a very, very happy bird with you though.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

Oh man, so sorry to hear about bitey :(

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

oh honey I'm so sorry. :( Like all the others said you made him a very, very happy bird while he knew you. That's the best you can ask for.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

flashman posted:

We finally got a chance to drive to the next big town (7 hours) to get a cage for the Quaker we've had for a few months. Got him to replace a parrotlett, and the cage was a bit too tiny (he could spread his wings and stuff but he didn't have the room that he deserved). Consequently he was being quite the little bastard in the cage (screaming and stuff) but when outside of it he was best kind. Now Ernie has all the space he could need. I've been planting hefty millet sort of trying to lure him around, he has been in the cage since last night and I havent seen him go for the food in the new bowl yet so it's a bit worrying but he's a couple years old and I think he will figure it out. Any tips for helping him settle in (he seems 100% happier in his cage than he did already).
Mostly just give him time and space. Talk to him but don't crowd up around his cage, be nearby and visible and making interesting noise. That's always worked for cockatiels, at least.

Dreggon posted:

rear end in a top hat house Cat continues to scare away bitey whiteys
That... is actually a really good nickname for cockatoos.

H110Hawk posted:

We've started sitting with him in the dark in the morning until around 8am which has vastly improved his mood. We assume he wasn't getting enough sleep previously.
There is absolutely nothing that will make Judah a cranky motherfucker like not getting enough darkness. Just, raging hormonal fuckass. So yeah that was probably a pretty big part of any fuckassery that was happening. I mean, beyond usual "is bird, is fuckass" things.

I want to hold a tea party with those birbs :3:

Battle Pigeon posted:

I went to FB to see something, and in the feed was a photo of Ohtori, but I didn't remember taking or uploading it... it was a post from the vet, posting about Ohtori on their feed!! It's of him close up to camera and looking suspicious of it, and the caption is something like "Tori accompanies us during our breakfast/coffee break" :kimchi:
He's a ~*social media celebrity*~ now :kimchi:

Conures are the Bart of the parrot world.

(Cockatiels are obviously the Bort)

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot. posted:

Sparrow parfait :3:

Friendly little buddy waddled over to where we were sitting and snuggled up for a nap

Accidentally caught a budgie doing a sick flip

Found this doof at the mall near my old apartment. HOW COULD I NOT BUY IT
:3: :kimchi: :pusheen: about sums up my reaction to this whole post holy poo poo.

Oh jeez look at that happy birb

EDIT

Oh poo poo I must have had this open longer than I realized without reloading. I'm so sorry Crows Everywhere, that's terrible. Birds can be so delicate in some ways just when you aren't expecting it, and when something's wrong they hide it as much as they can until it's often too late. You so obviously loved him and gave him a good life while he was with you, which is lovely.

Tendai fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Aug 21, 2015

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I'm hanging out with my Grandad's dog at the moment (a little Malty poo) and talking with Bitey's breeder and friends online. I am not going to get a new birdright away but maybe in a few months I might get a different lovebird or a cockatiel. And I'll have time to clean everything and disinfect it all in case the necroscopy says there was any disease or virus or anything that could be spread through the cage or things in it.

I am looking at lots of pics of capys and cute rats right now.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Do you read the PYF cute thread? One of the most frequent posters posts loads of capybaras, and people will happily oblige picture requests.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

I'm hanging out with my Grandad's dog at the moment (a little Malty poo) and talking with Bitey's breeder and friends online. I am not going to get a new birdright away but maybe in a few months I might get a different lovebird or a cockatiel. And I'll have time to clean everything and disinfect it all in case the necroscopy says there was any disease or virus or anything that could be spread through the cage or things in it.

Is your grandads place where your chickens live? If so go and hug your chickens.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

GoldStandardConure posted:

Is your grandads place where your chickens live? If so go and hug your chickens.

No, that's back where my parents are. I'm getting lots of pics of chickens from my parents right now. My mum called up to talk too.

The vet did the necroscopy and they think it was his heart. One of those things that happens to birds sometimes. Which happens a lot with chickens too. I'm over at my Grandad's hugging his doge right now. We are going to plant Bitey undder a little miniature rose plant from volunteering.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Mizuti posted:

Do you read the PYF cute thread? One of the most frequent posters posts loads of capybaras, and people will happily oblige picture requests.

I am looking at all the cute capys. There are even baby capys. They are one of the loveliest animals that should never be pets.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

No, that's back where my parents are. I'm getting lots of pics of chickens from my parents right now. My mum called up to talk too.
I don't have chicken pictures but I do have a drag queen doing an amazing chicken impression (skip to around 2:15 if you don't want to listen to the story of a future drag queen growing up on a chicken farm)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48z3wALKMUs

Mizuti posted:

Gonna second this, if only so people from this thread go and post more birb pictures in there. That thread has been lovely lately when I've been harshing on myself for not being able to find a job :unsmith:

And also post some cute birds in here too.

More of them, I mean.

All of them.

All the birbs.

Tendai fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Aug 21, 2015

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Ahhhh gently caress, I'm so sorry, CROWS EVERYWHERE :(

If you're okay doing it, could you share a couple of your favourite pictures of Bitey? There's a reason, you'll see.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

painted bird posted:

Ahhhh gently caress, I'm so sorry, CROWS EVERYWHERE :(

If you're okay doing it, could you share a couple of your favourite pictures of Bitey? There's a reason, you'll see.

Here are some good pics of Bitey.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Splendid! Thank you. :)

In the meantime, I am considering making a few sets of bird stickers. Proof of concept, in sketch form:

EDIT: WTF, fixed the tiny image.

painted bird fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Aug 21, 2015

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I'm so so sorry CROWS EVERYWHERE :( I once lost a bird very suddenly and it's just the most shocking and awful feeling.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax

CROWS EVERYWHERE, I'm really, really sorry for your loss. :smith: I hope this drawing brings you some smidgen of comfort.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Sorry to hear about Bitey, Crows :(

painted bird posted:

Splendid! Thank you. :)

In the meantime, I am considering making a few sets of bird stickers. Proof of concept, in sketch form:

EDIT: WTF, fixed the tiny image.

Maybe a stupid question but how will you go about making stickers? They're pretty cute, as is the Bitey image!

Third bird on this link might look familiar to posters here: http://www.dose.com/animals/17072/17-Birds-Who-Got-What-Was-Comin-to-Them-ab630-2

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
I have no idea. Put the files up on RedBubble?

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

painted bird posted:

CROWS EVERYWHERE, I'm really, really sorry for your loss. :smith: I hope this drawing brings you some smidgen of comfort.

Oh wow, thank you. It's really beautiful :unsmith: Thank you so much!

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Dear lord, the parrotlet on the toilet paper is awesome. So much attitude for a tiny motherfucker.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I was half-expecting to see Ama's poo poo MACHINE picture in that list, it keeps popping up in random goon groups on Facebook.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I was half-expecting to see Ama's poo poo MACHINE picture in that list, it keeps popping up in random goon groups on Facebook.
Post that picture again, I love that picture :allears:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Tendai posted:

Post that picture again, I love that picture :allears:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Everything about it is perfect.

Though I'm amazed there aren't little beak perforations all over the paper, or maybe that's just a cockatiel thing.

(Goddammit Firefox, cockatiel is TOO a word and it is TOO spelled correctly)

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
So the other day, I went home from work. I must have forgotten to latch Captain's food bowl door, because as soon as I closed the door, two things immediately happened:

1. The dog ran up to say hello
2. Captain came fluttering all the way from the front room to the back door to say hello (probably about 50 feet).

It was pretty drat adorable how excited she was to see me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Tendai posted:

Everything about it is perfect.

Though I'm amazed there aren't little beak perforations all over the paper, or maybe that's just a cockatiel thing.

(Goddammit Firefox, cockatiel is TOO a word and it is TOO spelled correctly)

Nah cockatiels would flee in terror at the sight of the paper coming towards them (except when they randomly don't)

Ohtori would shred the hell out of it as soon as you offer so Ama's being intact was something I noticed too-maybe he was doing the "wait, you WANT me to have this?? I shall freeze in confusion" thing!