Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I still don't get how people accuse Nintendo of rehashing the same game over and over when Mario games tend to be extremely significantly different between CONSOLES, while basically every other AAA producer is at least some shade of Ubisoft in hashing out the same formula over and over and has been for years. (except for the New 2D Marios, I'll give them that)

Doesn't help a lot of them lump in literally any game with Mario in the title as being the same for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I still don't get how people accuse Nintendo of rehashing the same game over and over when Mario games tend to be extremely significantly different between CONSOLES, while basically every other AAA producer is at least some shade of Ubisoft in hashing out the same formula over and over and has been for years. (except for the New 2D Marios, I'll give them that)

Doesn't help a lot of them lump in literally any game with Mario in the title as being the same for some reason.

New Mario games are about as different as new AC games

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

QuarkJets posted:

What do you mean by that? Comparing Odyssey to 3D World to Galaxy?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

There are a few new mechanics in each game and the settings change but the "formula" has been basically the same since Mario 64. Fans would rebel if they deviated from it but lol yeah, the games are all very similar

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

You haven't actually played any of those, right? 3D World I dropped in there specifically because it's very differently structured and controls differently from Galaxy and Odyssey entirely.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

3d world doesn't play like the other 3d platformer Mario games, but it does play like the other 2d platformer Mario games

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Uh guys, I'm sorry but AC means Armored Core, a cool and good series.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
AC = Asherons Call :colbert:

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

if you enjoy assassin's creed i feel like you've got a bad brain, instead of a human brain you have some kind of simpler lizard brain

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

ac black flag is actually good.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

QuarkJets posted:

At least with the Sonic games they manage to gently caress it up in an entirely new way with each game.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Rutibex posted:

AC = Asherons Call :colbert:

Basically a bad game but definitely not for being formulaic

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

QuarkJets posted:

There are a few new mechanics in each game and the settings change but the "formula" has been basically the same since Mario 64. Fans would rebel if they deviated from it but lol yeah, the games are all very similar

I'd argue that the main line of 3D mario games you're talking about innovate in the core "formula" more than Assassin's Creed does. AC's formula is going around doing tedious bullshit, and maybe they add some bells and whistles to that, but it's pretty much the same thing every time. Mario games are all about the movement, getting from place to place efficiently and in a fun way. Mario 64 is the first, Sunshine added FLUDD which is totally different, Galaxy added the gravity poo poo, and Odyssey's extra moves from the hat add a lot too. The movement of Mario 64 is in all of them, but each adds something different on top, like what Platinum does using the same basic style of combat for Bayonetta, Revengeance, and even Wonderful 101, but with each having their own special thing on top of that.

Basically what I'm saying is AC is a pile of dogshit and even Mario games manage to spice things up far more than AC ever tried.

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
really? so is that why quarkjets is so angry?

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
sorry to interrupt you, you're good at what again?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

marijuanamancer posted:

really? so is that why quarkjets is so angry?

:confused:

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Mario Sunshine = Mario 64 with a hose
Mario Galaxy = Mario 64 with a mouse pointer
Mario 3D Land = Mario 64 but without the exploration
Mario Odyssey = Mario 64 but you can throw your hat

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Let me clear up this debate once and for all

Mario and AC are both poo poo franchises

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

EvilGenius posted:

Mario Sunshine = Mario 64 with a hose
Mario Galaxy = Mario 64 with a mouse pointer
Mario 3D Land = Mario 64 but without the exploration
Mario Odyssey = Mario 64 but you can throw your hat

Sir, I can throw my hat any drat time I please

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Vegetable posted:

Nah.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

lowkey the greatest innovation of Odyssey is not resetting the stage when you get the target shiny thing

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

People who actually find a way to hate mario games are the most trash tier dorks out there.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

People who actually find a way to hate mario games are the most trash tier dorks out there.

b-b-b-b-but odyssey only takes 5 hours to beat!!!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

signalnoise posted:

lowkey the greatest innovation of Odyssey is not resetting the stage when you get the target shiny thing

It's just Banjo with a hat.

Actually Odyssey is basically ripping off the Banjo-Kazooie formula but with Mario.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Every time someone goes off on how bad Mario is, I imagine some elephant man looking motherfucker sitting in a pile of his own diarrhea.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Vegetable posted:

Mario is an incredible game, and he is an incredible man.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

If you think about it, all iterations are ripoffs

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

Every time someone goes off on how bad Mario is, I imagine some elephant man looking motherfucker sitting in a pile of his own diarrhea.

I was kind of trolling, but I do genuinely think Sunshine is terrible.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

EvilGenius posted:

I was kind of trolling, but I do genuinely think Sunshine is terrible.

Its main problem was that the jetpack made getting around too easy. That's why those shadow world levels or whatever where it's just get from point A to point B across some rotating blocks were the best shines in the game. They were really good shines though, and I would pay for a game that was nothing but like 300 of those, like in the progression style of Treasure Tracker or something. Other than that and some completely bullshit camera placement on certain levels, like the one where you're inside a pachinko machine, it was a fine game.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

veni veni veni posted:

Sign me up for Team Trash. There hasn't been a good Mario game since World 2, which was a distinct downgrade from World, which was a distinct downgrade from SMB3.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I know sure as hell you haven't even played most of them so I don't know how you'd form such a strong opinion

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

I know sure as hell you haven't even played most of them so I don't know how you'd form such a strong opinion

They're bad, so I don't play them. And trust me I know good platformers because I am a fiercely dedicated Good-Opinion Person.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I dunno, I feel like on a scale of 1-10 of Mario fandom I'm at about a 3 but they are very fun games and people that hate them are loving weirdos.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006

signalnoise posted:

Its main problem was that the jetpack made getting around too easy. That's why those shadow world levels or whatever where it's just get from point A to point B across some rotating blocks were the best shines in the game. They were really good shines though, and I would pay for a game that was nothing but like 300 of those, like in the progression style of Treasure Tracker or something. Other than that and some completely bullshit camera placement on certain levels, like the one where you're inside a pachinko machine, it was a fine game.

Galaxy or 3D Land is pretty much the game you describe.

But yeah, my complaints were pretty much the same. The jetpack took all the fun out of Mario's freakish agility, and they didn't leave enough room for the camera to move around in a lot of levels. poo poo, even in Mario 64 thet clearly designed in a lot of room for the camera.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

I dunno, I feel like on a scale of 1-10 of Mario fandom I'm at about a 3 but they are very fun games and people that hate them are loving weirdos.

Would you by any chance say that the Mario opinions of said loving weirdos are unpopular?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Sign me up for Team Trash. There hasn't been a good Mario game since World 2, which was a distinct downgrade from World, which was a distinct downgrade from SMB3.

World was miles better than 3

3 had those boring rear end slowly scrolling ship and tank levels and doesn't control as smoothly as world, where you're just flying all over the place killing things with precise jumps.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Oct 7, 2018

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006

Shibawanko posted:

The best Mario game is Super Mario Bros 2.

No I don't mean Lost Levels, I mean Doki Doki Panic.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
super mario rpg is the best mario game

edit: or maybe mario 64

jimmyjams fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Oct 7, 2018

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Assuming you mean Yoshi's Island, that's not a real Mario game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

3 had those boring rear end slowly scrolling ship and tank levels and doesn't control as smoothly as world, where you're just flying all over the place killing things with precise jumps.

Nope nope nope, this just won't do.

I'm sorry, your post has been downvoted.