Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

RCarr posted:

:siren:Someone help me figure out my Dynasty salary cap conundrum!:siren:

I went all in last year by trading for Antonio Brown and Mike Evans, so now I need to make some moves to shed salary.

25 man roster, $250 salary cap. Salaries increase by 10% or $1 each year (whichever is higher). Starting lineup is QB/2RB/2WR/TE/3Flex. Here's what I'm working with.

QB
Luck - $13
Goff - $3
Bortles - $2
Keenum - $2

RB
Ingram - $11
Anderson - $11
Montgomery - $10
Burkhead - $4
Conner - $3
Lewis - $2 - Dion?
Carson - $2

WR
Evans - $55
Brown - $51
Cooper - $31
Hopkins - $26
D. Thomas - $21
Jeffery - $21
Crabtree - $17
Robinson - $12
Benjamin - $10
Anderson - $3
White - $2
Mitchell - $2

TE
Kelce - $21
Henry - $3

What should be my plan here? Do I trade Brown and Evans? I guess trading them for picks and talent on cheap deals makes the most sense. Or do I try to make room to keep one of them? Who else should I look to move?

Went through and here were the ones who stuck out as most overpriced. I would strongly consider trading away Evans too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

How does your rookie /free agent draft (s) work?

Edit: Basically, I'm wondering how much of your salary cap will you have allocated to free agency? Is it an auction, or is the cost of contracts slotted in.

I'd definitely try to move Evans, but I'd probably want to hold onto Brown. I think you need to target getting running back talent. I'd wait for free agency to see what happens with Bort and Keenum to see if I could use them in any trade package for an upgrade, although it feels unlikely.

Your set at WR and QB is fine, so long as Luck still lives. (He probably doesn't. ) So you need another QB. You are also really thin at RB.

I'm not trying to tank that team, because Kelce and WR is too potent. It's just coming up with a plan.

Sataere fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 9, 2018

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
PPR?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Lol, we need to come up with a template regarding all the details we need when asking dynasty questions.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Sataere posted:

How does your rookie /free agent draft (s) work?

Edit: Basically, I'm wondering how much of your salary cap will you have allocated to free agency? Is it an auction, or is the cost of contracts slotted in.

I'd definitely try to move Evans, but I'd probably want to hold onto Brown. I think you need to target getting running back talent. I'd wait for free agency to see what happens with Bort and Keenum to see if I could use them in any trade package for an upgrade, although it feels unlikely.

Your set at WR and QB is fine, so long as Luck still lives. (He probably doesn't. ) So you need another QB. You are also really thin at RB.

I'm not trying to tank that team, because Kelce and WR is too potent. It's just coming up with a plan.

Rookie Draft is set salaries for each pick. I don't have a first round pick this year, so round 2 will cost me $8, round 3 will cost $4, round round 4 will cost $2, and rounds 5-7 will cost $1. Drafting is optional, so I don't necessarily have to clear that cap space if keeping my current players is more important. After the rookie snake style draft, we will have a Free Agent Auction draft, which uses your FAAB waiver dollars (100 per season).

poo poo, yes it's PPR. :)

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sataere posted:

Lol, we need to come up with a template regarding all the details we need when asking dynasty questions.

If you don't provide enough information to fill out a BeerSheet then I can't help you.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

RCarr posted:

Rookie Draft is set salaries for each pick. I don't have a first round pick this year, so round 2 will cost me $8, round 3 will cost $4, round round 4 will cost $2, and rounds 5-7 will cost $1. Drafting is optional, so I don't necessarily have to clear that cap space if keeping my current players is more important. After the rookie snake style draft, we will have a Free Agent Auction draft, which uses your FAAB waiver dollars (100 per season).

poo poo, yes it's PPR. :)

So what you do is simple - find a team light on WR that has some running back depth and try to flip Evans. If you can get anything for DT or Cooper, do so. Even if it's a mid round draft pick. I'd even consider packaging in a couple of your cheaper receivers.

You should definitely draft rookies always. There is always mid-round value.

You are still built for a championship run, but I'd feel a lot better about your team if Ingram were your RB2

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
If Cousins does indeed go to Denver...

...welcome back, DT & Emmanuel Sanders. I'm sorry you had to waste 2 years of your prime with Brock Osfarto.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Sataere posted:

So what you do is simple - find a team light on WR that has some running back depth and try to flip Evans. If you can get anything for DT or Cooper, do so. Even if it's a mid round draft pick. I'd even consider packaging in a couple of your cheaper receivers.

You should definitely draft rookies always. There is always mid-round value.

You are still built for a championship run, but I'd feel a lot better about your team if Ingram were your RB2

Here's the roster of a team who I might be able to pull off a deal with (I crudely added salaries in paint :)):

There's no way he accepts Evans for Hunt or Fournette is there? What about Brown for one of them?

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Ultimately, you're trying to move Evans, DT, and Crabtree and get back a cheap RB. Some of your other WR are also possible trade bait.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

RCarr posted:

Here's the roster of a team who I might be able to pull off a deal with (I crudely added salaries in paint :)):

There's no way he accepts Evans for Hunt or Fournette is there? What about Brown for one of them?

In his shoes I'd tell you to get stuffed for either probably (on both sides - maybe I'd do hunt for AB if I could make the multi year salaries work). But really I'd offer you Ajayi for one of them.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Zauper posted:

Ultimately, you're trying to move Evans, DT, and Crabtree and get back a cheap RB. Some of your other WR are also possible trade bait.

What caliber of RB am I looking to get back for Evans? Is someone like Alex Collins enough? His salary is $2. It seems very difficult to find fair trades in a salary cap dynasty league.

Edit: I was offered his Alex Collins($2) for my Alshon Jeffery($21). Thoughts?

RCarr fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 9, 2018

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Evans was super disappointing this year and there's no sign that Tampa Bay is gonna get a better quarterback so you are selling low on him with a higher salary than he deserves. You need to find someone desperate for a WR3 and pretty much take any offer you can get.

I would also keep crabtree over cooper, despite cooper having a couple of huge games last year he was and will be super inconsistent on TDs. Let him be someone else's problem. Crabtree probably scores fewer overall points, but he gets more volume which is good in PPR, and he gets more endzone looks generally which is good generally. When Carr is healthy you can start Crabs every week as your WR2/3 and that's what you want at his salary point.

DT is getting old and even if they get cousins I would not want him at his current salary either. He probably has more value after Denver completes offseason trades and their drafts, so probably hold onto him until after that happens unless you have to clear cap space immediately.

I don't like Luck even at $13, given you also have goff bort and keenum. Maybe draft a rookie QB. I'd find the one guy in your league who is still 100% sure that when Luck comes back finally he's gonna be elite, and trade him for anything you can get. Failing that I'd dump him and then see if you can pick him back up in the free agent auction for $5 or something, if you're that Luck truther. Personally I think there's a 50% chance his career is already over and another 25% chance that he'll never play the same again and will just be an anchor for whoever owns him.

Assuming you get rid of Evans and a couple other midprices players (especially Cooper), that should give you the cap space you need for your draft picks plus a couple of less expensive free agents.

e. I still want no part of the Ravens RB corps, and there's no guarantee Collins will be the RB1 there next year. Your salary for Jefferey might be a tad high but I don't like that trade.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 9, 2018

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Would an offer of Evans and Alshon for Hunt or Fournette be worth sending?

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
Is this a superflex league?

Because if not, I would be moving 2 if not 3 of those QB's for value yesterday.

Alfalfa fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 9, 2018

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Alfalfa posted:

No it's not. Unless I am vastly underestimating them I doubt I could get much value out of them.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

89 posted:

If Cousins does indeed go to Denver...

...welcome back, DT & Emmanuel Sanders. I'm sorry you had to waste 2 years of your prime with Brock Osfarto.

How much does DT's value increase though especially in a dynasty league?

I can take DT for a 2019 pick if I think his value will be there... but he has a high(er) contract in my league $10,000,000 and I already have Nuk @ $20,000,000, Landry @ $16,000,000, and really don't want to roll out 3 WR's each week since there are TE and RB reception bonuses.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Alfalfa posted:

I can tell you from my experience that having fewer than 3 QBs in dynasty is a recipe for disaster. They're just too frequently injured and the replacement level on the wire is dire.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

RCarr posted:

Would an offer of Evans and Alshon for Hunt or Fournette be worth sending?

Sending sure, but I probably wouldn't take it in their shoes.

I'm with Leper -- no faith that Collins still has a job at the start of next season. Dixon is still going to compete for the starting job; woodhead is going to recover more of the passing down work.

I would wait to decide on crabtree vs cooper though -- my recollection is that there was some talk floating around that the raiders could cut crabtree? Obviously that would kill value. Either one is movable at those prices though, you're deep enough to absorb it.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

You can't trade Luck, because you are negotiating from a position of weakness and his salary is too good not to roll the dice on. You won't get good enough value. And you absolutely have to roster a minimum of three quarterbacks in dynasty.

Which is why it's especially crazy to consider trading Luck. Goff might be a QB1 plug and play the rest of his career, but he only has one season under his belt. Luck might be done, but WE DON'T KNOW! No matter how much we pretend, the media is going to present information just to generate hits, and the death of Andrew Luck is the clickiest of click baits.

Think of how many times we've looked at a story a year later and realized all the information being presented at the time was bullshit. If he's done, you probably weren't going to get good value for him anyway, because everyone thinks he's done. But if he isn't and you trade him, you just traded an elite dynasty piece for nothing. There is no upside to trading Luck.

As for Evans, you aren't getting an RB1. Moving him is a salary dump. See if you can get a 1st from someone, or a low cost player. Collins is garbage, but Woodhead and Mack might be decent options. Especially if Indy doesn't take a running back high.

I doubt you are able to get a first, but a second might be doable for him. His value has dropped, but some guys in your league are going to believe he can turn it around.

Draft picks or players under $10 that you think could be great, but who haven't shown anything yet are what you should target for Evans, Cooper and DT.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sataere posted:

You can't trade Luck, because you are negotiating from a position of weakness and his salary is too good not to roll the dice on. You won't get good enough value. And you absolutely have to roster a minimum of three quarterbacks in dynasty.

I feel like one of the most common and incorrect assumptions made by fantasy football posters on these here forums is that all fantasy football players make reasonable decisions, despite enormous evidence to the contrary. It's always worth exploring the possibility of fleecing your fellow owners in your league.

If there is a Luck Truther in your league, they might be happy to trade for him.

And, there is a vast universe of ignored middle between "he's done" and "he's an elite dynasty QB".

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Leperflesh posted:

I feel like one of the most common and incorrect assumptions made by fantasy football posters on these here forums is that all fantasy football players make reasonable decisions, despite enormous evidence to the contrary. It's always worth exploring the possibility of fleecing your fellow owners in your league.

If there is a Luck Truther in your league, they might be happy to trade for him.

And, there is a vast universe of ignored middle between "he's done" and "he's an elite dynasty QB".

This is a fair point. I'm not saying don't try. You should be talking to every person in your league about trades, but the minute you offer up Luck, odds are they'll think you are down on him. If you can get them to talk about Luck first, you might be able to get a good deal. But I'm only trading him if I get his value near pre-surgery value.

I am not convinced he is done, just because of the setback. I don't believe a setback means he has to be permanently broken and I am loathe to trade away potentially elite pieces because they may no longer be elite. Those are hard enough to come by.

That's not to say I'm not worried about it. I am. I own too many shares of Luck that I'm desperately clinging to.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Having 3 qb’s in dynasty is pointless unless you have a rook shoved on a taxi squad.

1 no, 2 yes, 3 is the same as holding 2 in a redraft league.

You are giving up value for another spot holding that many qb’s.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Alfalfa posted:

Having 3 qb’s in dynasty is pointless unless you have a rook shoved on a taxi squad.

1 no, 2 yes, 3 is the same as holding 2 in a redraft league.

You are giving up value for another spot holding that many qb’s.

And what happens when your quarterbacks are some combination of Luck, Carr, Watson, Wentz, Rodgers, etc. In dynasty, when a guy goes down, pickings are slim. And you already have 20+ roster spots. Quarterbacks score too many points for me to have my season tanked by a string of injuries.

Moreover, having depth at quarterback is trade value down the road. In my BML, I flipped Wentz last year for Carlos Hyde, because I had Luck and Carr. This year, it sucked, but luckily I got Alex Smith for cheap. And I flipped Mahomes in a package deal for Derrick Henry.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Sataere posted:

And what happens when your quarterbacks are some combination of Luck, Carr, Watson, Wentz, Rodgers, etc. In dynasty, when a guy goes down, pickings are slim. And you already have 20+ roster spots. Quarterbacks score too many points for me to have my season tanked by a string of injuries.

Then you flip a guy for a mid level guy and just get used to having a qb not be you best scorer.

Same thing that would happen when your quarterbacks are those listed and you carry 3. You might have 2 studs and some JAG just in case.

If that is the case, then have 2 studs and if one or two go down, go find a qb. But having more than 2 is taking away a spot of value or sleeper who can hit especially in dynasty.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

In my 1qb dynasty league, I rolled into the finals splitting time with Stanton, and kizer at QB. Because luck went down. And then Palmer after I grabbed him from ww.

You can usually find enough on the wire to make do, but it is obviously going to be league dependent.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

How valuable is a second round pick in dynasty? What would you say the chances are of landing someone who turns out to be a useful NFL player in the second and later?

Also, regarding my team above. How about throwing out an offer of my Mike Evans($55) for his Chris Thompson? ($2)
He is stacked at RB and very weak at WR. He also has the cap space to take on Evans' contract. Chances are he wont take it, but if he does that's a big win for me, right?

RCarr fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Feb 10, 2018

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Leperflesh posted:

Evans was super disappointing this year and there's no sign that Tampa Bay is gonna get a better quarterback so you are selling low on him with a higher salary than he deserves. You need to find someone desperate for a WR3 and pretty much take any offer you can get.

Evans had 4 games of Ryan Fitzpatrick and another 4 where Winston was playing through an injury to his throwing shoulder. And Evans still finished the season with over 1,000 yards. Big Mike is gonna bounce back.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Epi Lepi posted:

Evans had 4 games of Ryan Fitzpatrick and another 4 where Winston was playing through an injury to his throwing shoulder. And Evans still finished the season with over 1,000 yards. Big Mike is gonna bounce back.

Yeah, I'm confused how quickly people do a 180 on players. Evans was the popular/consensus #2 overall in dynasty beginning of last year and didn't have a bad year (WR#17ish in PPR?). Fair enough if salary concerns are big enough to consider dumping below value or you have a bad taste from drafting him with your first pick in redraft, but dude joined the AJ Green and Randy Moss club, and I am extremely comfortable predicting he outperforms 70-1000-5 next year. He's an obvious buy low target this off season.

Chris Thompson is a cool dude, but Evans at 20% salary cap for Thompson at negligible salary is not a big win regardless of roster imo. It might be worth doing in your situation, but even then I'm kinda skeptical. Moving from Cousins to Smith isn't a positive for that offense or necessarily Thompson himself.

Given that you could likely get a boatload more for Brown than Evans, I'd personally try to move him instead. Evans + elite/close to elite RB1 >> Brown + Thompson, even if the former comes with less salary savings.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Feb 10, 2018

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Evans is still a top 10 dynasty startup pick.

Don’t trade him for a 3rd down back.

FP just released their dynasty ratings which might help.

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/rankings/dynasty-overall.php

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Looking at all the other rosters in the league, I don't see any near elite RB's that I could trade Brown or Evans for while still decently reducing my salary.

Here is each team's running back corps:

C. McCaffrey - 30
L. Miller - 22
D. Booker - 2
D. Cook - 28
D. Williams - 17
D. Foreman - 2
J. Rodgers - 2
C. Prosise - 2
B. Oliver - 2
-----------------------------
J. Howard - 32
M. Lynch - 23
G. Bernard - 2
D. Henry - 14
J. Stewart - 3
A. Ekeler - 8
W. Gallman - 22
C. Ivory - 2
J. Williams - 2
-----------------------------
K. Hunt - 31
L. Fournette - 29
A. Collins - 2
B. Powell - 14
J. Ajayi - 37
M. Mack - 2
C. Clement - 2
R. Smith - 9
D. Woodhead - 12
------------------------------
D. Johnson - 6
D. Freeman - 41
J. Richard - 2
D. Martin - 7
W. Smallwood - 2
E. Lacy - 7
----------------------------
L. Bell - 65
E. Elliot - 57
J. McKinnon - 2
J. Allen - 2
T. Yeldon - 2
A. Ellington - 6
A. Jones - 28
K. Williams - 22
D. Sproles - 2
D. Johnson - 70
J. McNichols - 2
S. Ware - 5
D. Murray - 46
T. Cohen - 2
K. Drake - 44
J. Mixon - 28
S. Perine - 5
J. McKissic - 6
A. Peterson - 7
E. McGuire - 2
A. Morris - 6
R. Kelley - 9
T. Rawls - 9
J. Hill - 9
T. Gurley - 32
T. Riddick - 4
J. White - 6
M. Forte - 3
L. Blount - 5
S. Vereen - 2
J. Charles - 3
P. Perkins - 8
--------------------------
A. Kamara - 6
C. Hyde - 14
T. Coleman - 11
L. Murray - 4
J. Williams - 7
A. Abdullah - 11
M. Breida - 2
P. Barber - 29
D. Washington - 3
M. Brown - 2
M. Gordon - 46
L. McCoy - 42
F. Gore - 5
C. Thompson - 2
I. Crowell - 20
M. Gillislee - 2
M. Davis - 2

Anyone jump out as a target to get in return for Brown or Evans?

Here's my team again:

RCarr posted:

QB
Luck - $13
Goff - $3
Bortles - $2
Keenum - $2

RB
Ingram - $11
Anderson - $11
Montgomery - $10
Burkhead - $4
Conner - $3
Lewis - $2
Carson - $2

WR
Evans - $55
Brown - $51
Cooper - $31
Hopkins - $26
D. Thomas - $21
Jeffery - $21
Crabtree - $17
Robinson - $12
Benjamin - $10
Anderson - $3
White - $2
Mitchell - $2

TE
Kelce - $21
Henry - $3

RCarr fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Feb 10, 2018

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

I’d try and go after Henry first

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

The Henry owner is a hard core Henry truther. He has drafted him in every league, every year since he came into the NFL. I’d love to get him but he’s not dealing him.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Can you not find someone with a top draft pick who needs a WR to move him for?

In another dynasty league someone just moved 1.09 + Doctson for Evans

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

At $55 salary ($60 next year, etc), and coming off a disappointing season, when almost every team is already over the salary cap, it's nearly impossible for someone to take on his salary outright. No one is even interested in trading for him, never mind willing to shed $55 worth of salary to make room for him, then trading a first round draft pick for him.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Alfalfa posted:

Can you not find someone with a top draft pick who needs a WR to move him for?

In another dynasty league someone just moved 1.09 + Doctson for Evans

No salary considerations there? I like Doctson but that's theft

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

RCarr posted:

At $55 salary ($60 next year, etc), and coming off a disappointing season, when almost every team is already over the salary cap, it's nearly impossible for someone to take on his salary outright. No one is even interested in trading for him, never mind willing to shed $55 worth of salary to make room for him, then trading a first round draft pick for him.

Then shop a diff receiver. Evans is going to be fine next year and year after that.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Alfalfa posted:

Then shop a diff receiver. Evans is going to be fine next year and year after that.

I'm trying my best :) We just finished our inaugural season, and none of us have ever played in a dynasty league before this, so everyone is a little cautious in regards player evaluations and trades in general.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

RCarr posted:

I'm trying my best :) We just finished our inaugural season, and none of us have ever played in a dynasty league before this, so everyone is a little cautious in regards player evaluations and trades in general.

I'd probably try CMC, cook, Freeman, Howard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

If you are long term, I'd actually try to give up Evans for Coleman & a draft pick. Then hold your ground for a year until he hits FA status.

But it has to be for Coleman & pick

• Locked thread