Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

McFrugal posted:

What I don't understand is why people put flasks in their shop tab if they're not going to bother to sell them.
if im in a map im probably not gonna leave it for a 1c trade. if im sitting in my hideout sorting a dump tab or crafting or whatever i am happy to sell it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

McFrugal posted:

Instant buyouts on the AH would work if it was restricted only to low ticket items that people don't want to leave maps to sell. Easier access to flasks and the shittiest uniques for 5-1 or leveling!

What I don't understand is why people put flasks in their shop tab if they're not going to bother to sell them.

not all non unique flasks are created equal. Some are worth 5c+ or more.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

most of the time theyre from when I put them in there near league start for easy chaos. if its a week into league there's no way in hell i'm leaving my map for 1c. if I'm doing another trade i'll do it. I suspect that's what other people are doing too. That's why when I buy 1-2c items I look for the person who listed it most recently, they usually respond.

id be all for near instant commodity trading (fragments/currency etc) but anything with rolls or stats can get weird fast

maps too! Those or the worst to buy.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

[3.1] Gilded Cage's Comprehensive Guide to Maps

Very detailed mapping guide.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

didn't know you got a 30% bonus for running maps unidentified, neato

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My first Elder appeared in Vault. :negative:

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/pathofexile/status/953387005919940608
LMAO

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'm at work, what's the tweet?

J
Jun 10, 2001

Kaom getting home court advantage is some WWE poo poo

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
loving LOL Daresso got destroyed, even with the OP immunity phases and going super-saiyan.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

I'm at work, what's the tweet?

It's a video of Daresso fighting Kaom.

Very close fight. Seems like having minions was what tipped it in Kaom's favour.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
I want to see 100 Magnus vs 100 Danzig

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Posting before I watch: I bet daresso murderates

e: welp kaom's adds hosed him

MMF Freeway fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 16, 2018

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

MMF Freeway posted:

Posting before I watch: I bet daresso murderates

:rip:

J posted:

Kaom getting home court advantage is some WWE poo poo

Indeed. An actual 1 on 1 Daresso wins.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
that's like saying i could beat any SRS build at pvp if they're not allowed to use SRS. the win is valid

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
If Daresso wanted to have friends to help him against Kaom maybe he wouldn't have ditched his wife like that

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Holyshoot posted:

maps too! Those or the worst to buy.

Maps are also the worst to sell, but I think the reason maps are particularly poo poo to buy and sell this league comes down, in part, to the map tab reducing friction. It's very easy to list all of the low tier maps that you have no use for now, but no one wants to execute the actual trades because they aren't worth enough. Previously, it took enough effort to list maps that you probably actually wanted to do the deal if you took the time to do so.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

kaom had like 1 hp left, that's more of a tie

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Wallet posted:

Maps are also the worst to sell, but I think the reason maps are particularly poo poo to buy and sell this league comes down, in part, to the map tab reducing friction. It's very easy to list all of the low tier maps that you have no use for now, but no one wants to execute the actual trades because they aren't worth enough. Previously, it took enough effort to list maps that you probably actually wanted to do the deal if you took the time to do so.

you can list a whole tier of maps at once? If they're being listed one at a time as they drop what does it matter what tab they're in?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Zero VGS posted:

You melt uniques? As opposed to, I dunno, socking them away in a tab in case you have a build that needs it later?

I'll admit I did do the fortune thing where you trade 5 uniques for a new random unique, but that was 5 low-level melee uniques. It gave me a different low-level melee unique.
If the unique isn't worth more than a chaos then you might as well melt it and if you want it for a build later you can just buy it.

I keep a handful of worthless(<alch) one-slot uniques around for the fortune just because I really like trade gambling. I keep a bunch of tier threshold vises and eyes for my build for the same reason.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Venuz Patrol posted:

that's like saying i could beat any SRS build at pvp if they're not allowed to use SRS. the win is valid

I don't see Kaom (or a totem of his) casting SRS :colbert:

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

granted, d3 is the same way. all arpgs are.

Well, except D3 is all SSF all the time now :)

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

if its a week into league there's no way in hell i'm leaving my map for 1c.

this is a real problem, because most trade volume is of cheap items! every time you pm someone to get maps for atlas completions, or a cheap leveling unique, or whatever, it's very likely they won't bother to leave their map.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

hawowanlawow posted:

you can list a whole tier of maps at once? If they're being listed one at a time as they drop what does it matter what tab they're in?

I'm not sure I understand either of your questions or if they're even questions at all.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Holyshoot posted:

not all non unique flasks are created equal. Some are worth 5c+ or more.

I meant like, you couldn't sell anything instantly for more than 1 alch.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Wallet posted:

I'm not sure I understand either of your questions or if they're even questions at all.

you said the map tab reduces friction. As in it's easier to list maps. How? which tab they're in doesn't make them easier to list unless you can list more than one at a time.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

hawowanlawow posted:

you said the map tab reduces friction. As in it's easier to list maps. How? which tab they're in doesn't make them easier to list unless you can list more than one at a time.

Map tab reduces friction as in it's easier to keep a load of maps stored than it was previously. This means people are less inclined to sell them.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

hawowanlawow posted:

First, as TheRat pointed out, people can store a fuckload of maps that previously would be eating into their stash space. Second, you can in fact list more than one at a time with the map tab—you can list an entire tier of maps, actually.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 17, 2018

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Wallet posted:

First, as TheRat pointed out, people can store a fuckload of maps that previously would be eating into their stash space.

Ok. Up until now in the thread "less friction" has meant "more listings." That's GGGs argument against the AH.

Wallet posted:

Second, you can in fact list more than one at a time with the map tab—you can list an entire tier of maps, actually.

Thanks, that's what I was asking when I asked if you could list an entire tier of maps.

Seems like one argument is for less listings and one is for more.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

hawowanlawow posted:

Ok. Up until now in the thread "less friction" has meant "more listings." That's GGGs argument against the AH.

That is what it means, but listing something and actually selling it aren't the same thing. The map tab makes it very easy to list all of the maps you want to, and the tab also makes it easy to store them forever; both of these things make it easier to list maps, one in that it is literally easier to list the maps, and the other in the sense that previously people would just vendor (or delete, or donate, or whatever) low tier maps because they were taking up a bunch of stash space, but now it costs them nothing to have them listed until the end of time.

TheRat's statement (that it's easier to store a load of maps which makes people less inclined to sell them) does read sort of contradictory, but what I assume he means is that the ease of doing so makes people more inclined to list maps, but the fact that there is no pressure to get rid of them to reclaim stash space also means that there is no motivation (beyond whatever someone is paying for the map) to actually complete the sale.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I don't think there are less maps on the market, but j do have to message more people before one responds. Probably since there are more. People just casually listing entire tiers rather than only people seriously intending on selling them

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

I can't believe we're still here. If it were both trivial to list items for sale and trivial to transact then you've just destroyed the core game loop. Items matter. Pick easy listings or easy transacting, not both. Why is this so hard?

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

pork never goes bad posted:

I can't believe we're still here. If it were both trivial to list items for sale and trivial to transact then you've just destroyed the core game loop. Items matter. Pick easy listings or easy transacting, not both. Why is this so hard?

None of what you said is hard to understand. Most of it is wrong. I can't believe we're still here, either.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Eminai posted:

None of what you said is hard to understand. Most of it is wrong. I can't believe we're still here, either.

if only there existed an example of a game in this genre that tried the seamless and easy to use auction house thing, that sure would help inform our opinions.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I thought about playing PoE today, thought about this thread, and watched a movie instead.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

D3's auction house wasn't a failure because it was easy though or because items were balanced for availability with it. It failed because the difficulty leap between the penultimate and ultimate difficulty was significant enough that only the 1% of players could make the transition without brute forcing it by buying items only available at a higher level, and Blizzard had to relearn something they'd already spent WoW's lifetime learning - that players see content as an entitlement, not a reward.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
People defending the trade system in PoE is stockholm syndrome: the game

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
D3 ah doesn't count because game was too hard, lmao

Maybe stop pestering people about buying their spare buttons for crumbs 2 months in a league

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Yolomon Wayne posted:

People defending the trade system in PoE is stockholm syndrome: the game

Or we just, you know, actually understand how to use it instead of whining about it all the time.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Magus42 posted:

Or we just, you know, actually understand how to use it instead of whining about it all the time.

being forced to buy maps is a chore and terrible

they had solved it with horizon and harbinger orbs and they loving wasted it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Goa Tse-tung posted:

being forced to buy maps is a chore and terrible

they had solved it with horizon and harbinger orbs and they loving wasted it

Nobody's forced to buy maps. Sometimes I feel like there should be a mandated SSF course before people start playing trade leagues, just so they're forced to learn tricks and shortcuts. (I don't actually mean that, but it's kind of frustrating to hear so many people complain about trade-issues they can easily solve by themselves)