Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Why would you buy a store that is going out of business?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
The same reason WWE bought WCW, for the clout.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Halfpenny is fit and is starting at 15 for the Crusaders.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

edogawa rando posted:

Halfpenny is fit and is starting at 15 for the Crusaders.

And an absolute shocker of a first kick.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Stuart Hogg was in court today for harassing his estranged wife on multiple occasions. What a dickhead.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Vaders Jester posted:

Stuart Hogg was in court today for harassing his estranged wife on multiple occasions. What a dickhead.

I hate it when players I like turn out to be absolute arseholes

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I’ve had Hogg down as a dickhead since he nearly took Dan Biggar’s head off with a shoulder

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Julio Cruz posted:

I’ve had Hogg down as a dickhead since he nearly took Dan Biggar’s head off with a shoulder

Given how many posters here think Biggar’s a cock too I would have thought that counted in his favour

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

Gloucester obviously deciding that resting players for the Challenge Cup final vs Sharks in two weeks time is more important than trying to save face in the prem.

14 tries :smithicide:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The Highlanders finally ended a 19-match losing streak to NZ opposition that stretched back to 2021 last night, defeating the Crusaders.

The Crusaders looked better than they have in quite some time, but they're also a team that looks very short on confidence, with a lot of basic errors that you just wouldn't expect from a lot of players of their calibre. Lots of forced passes and consequent knock-ons, passes to the tryline, things of that nature. The proverbial coach-killers, basically.

The Blues are looking very ominous as title contenders, having beaten the Hurricanes who had been competition front-runners, not only taking the win to avenge a prior away loss, but also top spot on the ladder.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Good match yesterday. Munster v Edinburgh (URC.) Worth watching if you see a replay anywhere.

Connacht v Stormers is on now and Ulster v Leinster after.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Weirdest ending of a game I have ever seen.

https://youtu.be/dU0WD2xxXwk?si=-clImgC-Uh93p04-

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Dupont is an absolute magician, a joy to watch him.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Other than the tight five, I think he could make a good go of pretty much any other position on the pitch.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I posted this on Reddit but thought that there would be some good answers here too

Who are your favourite players?

Over the years I've seen a fair amount of rugby, and there are some players who I remember better than others and always had a soft spot for. This isn't necessarily a list of players that I thought were the best at their positions at that time or any (eg I think Dallaglio was great but I never truly warmed to him)- just those that I was partial to, for whatever reason (although many were indisputably great - but many greats are not on the list). So here is my list. This is entirely subjective and there is no wrong answer - so don't get angry with me if I have excluded your favourites. Who are yours?

(PS Can you tell from my list where I am originally from? :) )

**15**

Christian Cullen. Maybe my favourite player ever. Such a balanced and incisive runner. When we played against the ABs I would always shout at the TV to stop kicking at him because he'd just run it back with such devastating effect.

Andre Joubert. Smooth, unruffled, class. One of those players who always looked like they had all the time in the world. I remember at the Battle of Boet Erasmus where a brawl broke out between SA and Canada that he just stood back watching with what looked like disdain at the fighting.

**14/11**

Jonah. Duh.

James Small. The man who stopped Jonah.

Emile Ntamack. Classy, pacy, terrific player.

Christophe Dominici. Fantastic.

Campese, of course.

Shane Williams. I do like a small, fast, twinkle-toed wing. See also: Cheslin, Jason Robinson, Breyten Paulsen. They get the ball and all bets are off, and magic can happen.

Lote Tiquiri

**12/13**

BOD

Jean de Villiers

Brendan Venter. Both such smart players.

Jeremy Guscott. Similar to Andre Joubert, always had time, smooth, classy.

Tim Horan

Lukhayo Am

**10**

Carlos Spencer. Behind a dominant pack (which he usually was) could make magic. A bit like Finn Russell in that regard. High-risk, high reward, terrifically skilled and exciting.

Finn Russell

Henry Honiball. Nicknamed "Lem" (Blade) - possibly because of how he tackled (hard), but I always thought because of how he could cut a line.

Michael Lynagh. Class.

Hennie le Roux. Lovely running flyhalf. Not a brilliant kicker but could get the line moving beautifully.

**9**

Nick Farr-Jones. Great player, great combo with Lynagh

Joost van der Westhuizen. Fantastic player. Suspect he was a horrible person but man, he could play. Terrific at sniping runs around or over rucks.

Johan Roux. Tough, nuggety scrummie.

Dupont, of course.

**6/7/8** (adding together as players often switched)

Josh Kronfeld. Incredible. The Richie McCaw of his era.

Zinzan Brooke. One of the best 8s I have ever seen. Could do it all.

Richie McCaw, obviously.

Iain McDonald. Played for Transvaal. Had an amazing game against England when England toured SA around 1995, but didn't quite make the step to Test level when selected.

Andre Venter. Someone described being tackled by him as running into a brick wall.

Neil Back. Dynamite comes in small(ish) packages.

John Jeffrey: the Great White Shark.

Colin Charvis

David Pocock

George Smith

Laurent Cabannes. Wonderful, mobile flank. Played rugby like a Frenchman.

Serge Betsen: Terrific. So much better than the over-rated Chabal.

Francois Pienaar and Siya Kolisi: led SA to three WC wins. Great captains.

POM

Ollivant and Aldrit are pretty drat good too. Ollivant reminds me of the Dalton Bros from the Lucky Luke comics.

Peter Steph du Toit: can watch him in RWC finals every day. Incredible.

**4/5**

Olivier Roumat. Oustanding French lock.

Itoje: incredible athlete, very intelligent rugby player.

Etzebeth: in a pack of incredible forwards, one of the best.

Botha/Matfield: one of the greatest lock pairings in the modern game

Robin Brooke and Ian Jones: ditto

Martin Johnson

Paul O 'Connell

AWJ

The last three are pretty obvious.

Mark Andrews: athletic SA lock. Incredible line-out jumper, handy in the loose.

John Eales. A bit like Zinzan in that he could do seemingly everything.

**1/3**

Os du Randt: formidable scrummager, and surprisingly mobile for his size.

Phil Vickery

Taidh Furlong: great player, great character.

Joe Marler: like him as a player, really like him as a person.

**2**

Sean Fitzpatrick: one of the greatest 2s

Keith Woods: loved watching him play, could be explosive on the run. Was a menace on the field, scrummed, threw impeccably.

Uli Schmidt: an incredibly mobile hooker, before it was expected of hookers. He was before his time.

Phil Kearns

Have at it!

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Two bloody good semi finals for the premiership! Come on you Bath!

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

therattle posted:

many, many, many players

I'm not going to nominate an entire XV because I don't watch enough any more, so I'll just throw Rory Underwood out there on the wing because every time he got the ball you could sense the opposition getting the fear because he had pace to burn and then another gear

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I'm not going to nominate an entire XV because I don't watch enough any more, so I'll just throw Rory Underwood out there on the wing because every time he got the ball you could sense the opposition getting the fear because he had pace to burn and then another gear

Oh yeah, he was really good.

You don’t have to nominate 15! One is fine. More is better!

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Well then:

15 - Full back was the first position I played when I was 10, but was moved around every position in the backs except fly half because I loving sucked. Anyway, I can't think of a single full back so no-one here
14/11 - Rory Underwood and Jonah. Of course it's Jonah. Any other answer is invalid
12/13 - BOD and Jamie Roberts. Are there better centres than Roberts? Yes. Was BOD and ROB's partnership for the Lions in South Africa in 2009 absolutely amazing? Also yes
10- just pick an All Black 10 from the last twenty years
9 - Matt Dawson. Good player? No. Absolutely loving gobshite that you send in to give it the wind up? Yes, very yes

1/2/3 - No props, and I was going to go with Brian Moore as hooker because of his constant cries for World Rugby to fix the scrum. Instead I'm going with Keith Wood, solely for the 15 yard marauding run I saw him make in person at the 2000 European Cup Final for Munster against Northampton, a game I went to with my dad and granddad
4/5 - Paul O'Connell and someone else, I dunno
6/7/8 - again, no-one really comes to mind

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
I was always a fan of Neil Back, the kind of Professional Bastard that we English like to pretend we don't have.

Nick Abendanon, who was lightweight but incredibly fun as a fullback.

Gavin Henson, the ultimate rugby himbo.

Lomu, obvs

There are definitely more

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Big Gavin Hastings.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Well then:

15 - Full back was the first position I played when I was 10, but was moved around every position in the backs except fly half because I loving sucked. Anyway, I can't think of a single full back so no-one here
14/11 - Rory Underwood and Jonah. Of course it's Jonah. Any other answer is invalid
12/13 - BOD and Jamie Roberts. Are there better centres than Roberts? Yes. Was BOD and ROB's partnership for the Lions in South Africa in 2009 absolutely amazing? Also yes
10- just pick an All Black 10 from the last twenty years
9 - Matt Dawson. Good player? No. Absolutely loving gobshite that you send in to give it the wind up? Yes, very yes

1/2/3 - No props, and I was going to go with Brian Moore as hooker because of his constant cries for World Rugby to fix the scrum. Instead I'm going with Keith Wood, solely for the 15 yard marauding run I saw him make in person at the 2000 European Cup Final for Munster against Northampton, a game I went to with my dad and granddad
4/5 - Paul O'Connell and someone else, I dunno
6/7/8 - again, no-one really comes to mind

Oh yeah, BOD and Jamie Roberts in 2009 was an absolutely incredible pairing.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
I'll give my list more effort later but I'll just simp a little harder for Dupont because come on what is this

The man is a phenom.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

I'll give my list more effort later but I'll just simp a little harder for Dupont because come on what is this

The man is a phenom.

There is a picture from him last week holding up the trophy and one can see how bloody huge his arms are.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

I'll throw Tom Smith into the mix at prop. Absolute legend and was integral in the scrum against the Boks in the 97 Lions tour. Gone far too soon.

Jason White was always one of my favourites too, him emptying Jerry Flannery will always be a highlight.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Vaders Jester posted:

I'll throw Tom Smith into the mix at prop. Absolute legend and was integral in the scrum against the Boks in the 97 Lions tour. Gone far too soon.

Jason White was always one of my favourites too, him emptying Jerry Flannery will always be a highlight.

I nearly put Tom Smith in, yep.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Lots of players

Loosehead
Tony Woodcock
Joe Marler - I will always respect the fact that when Israel Folau outed himself as a hateful sack of gently caress, he flooded the guy's mentions with pictures of men kissing to troll him
Gethin Jenkins

Hooker
Keven Mealamu
Dane Coles
Shota Horie
William Servat
Richard Hibbard - how could you not love his beautiful, fabulous flowing locks?
Mahonri Schwalger

Tighthead
Carl Hayman
Adam Jones

Locks
Brodie Retallick
Sam Whitelock
Brad Thorn
John Eales
Nathan Sharpe
Lionel Nallet
Alun Wyn Jones
Paul O'Connell
Steve Borthwick - I always thought he took on a difficult task as England captain during one of their low periods, and did it with dignity and class

Blindside Flankers
Jerry Collins
Jerome Kaino
Scott Fardy
Ruben Kruger

Opensides
Richie McCaw
Michael Jones
Josh Kronfeld
David Pocock
Sam Warburton
George Smith
Neil Back

Number 8
Kieran Read
Jamie Heaslip
Taulape Faletau
Semo Sititi

Halfbacks
Aaron Smith
Piri Weepu
Will Genia
Fourie du Preez
Joost van der Westhuizen
Dimitri Yachvili

First Five-Eighths
Dan Carter
Carlos Spencer
Stephen Larkham

Second Five-Eighths
Ma'a Nonu
Maxime Mermoz
Jamie Roberts
Will Greenwood
Jean de Villiers

Centre
Conrad Smith
Tana Umaga

Wingers
Jonah Lomu
Rupeni Caucaunibuca
Bryan Habana
Ben Cohen

Fullbacks
Ben Smith
Christian Cullen
Andre Joubert
Maxime Medard

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The Super Rugby quarterfinalists have been determined over the weekend. Personally, it's pretty absurd that 8 teams out of a 12-team (soon to be 11; bye, Rebels) comp can qualify for the play-offs, but that's neither here nor there.

It's the first time since 2015 that the Crusaders are not part of the play-offs in a non-disrupted or shortened competition.

The quarterfinal fixtures are:

Hurricanes (1) vs Rebels (8) in Wellington
Blues (2) vs Drua (7) in Auckland
Brumbies (3) vs Highlanders (6) in Canberra
Chiefs (4) vs Reds (5) in Hamilton

Going forward, I'd say cut the qualification to 6 teams (5 when it's 11 teams) once the Jaguares are reintroduced as is apparently the plan from 2026.

So, for the 2025 11-team comp, it would be

4th vs 5th

1st vs 4/5
2 vs 3

(1st vs 4/5) vs (2vs3) at the home of the highest ranked qualifying team

With 6 teams, it would look like

3rd vs 6th
4th vs 5th

1st vs 4/5
2nd vs 3/6

(1st vs 4/5) vs (2nd vs 3/6) at the home of the highest ranked qualifying team

I'd also say there should be a Ranfurly Shield style trophy available during the comp for either conference, to be contested between the NZ and Aussie teams, and maybe one between Moana and the Drua.

Call the NZ one the Razor Breakdancing Memorial Shield and the Aussie one the Scott Fava Trophy or something.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jun 2, 2024

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Bye bye Rebels.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Obano with a 22nd minute red. The title wait is going to be a little longer I imagine :(

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

tarbrush posted:

Obano with a 22nd minute red. The title wait is going to be a little longer I imagine :(

Wouldn’t be so sure with how they’ve played this second half

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
drat. Super impressive performance, gutted for them.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Libbok probably regretting those missed kicks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Stormers missing tackles like it was going out of fashion didn't do them any favours either. Munster v Glasgow should be good though, they properly hate each other, maybe a bit less now that Ryan Wilson isn't playing anymore.