Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Where would you even poop in a bathroom? The only thing in there other than the sink and shower is the chicken defroster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

haveblue posted:

Where would you even poop in a bathroom? The only thing in there other than the sink and shower is the chicken defroster

Chicken defroster/dog water bowl

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I did work with a guy who said he would wash his hands after every trip to the restroom when people masked up again.

AITA for sneaking drinks on family vacations?

quote:

I’m legally allowed to drink alcohol FYI. When I’m on vacation with my family, they tell everyone that alcohol is NOT allowed. Even though they say no alcohol, I sneak some in my luggage anyways and I sneak in the bathroom to take a shower when I’m actually drinking in the shower without anyone knowing. I take a shower long enough for me to finish it, then I hide the empty bottle in my luggage and they never know. I don’t get super drunk, but I drink enough to feel a buzz. The reason why my family doesn’t want anyone to drink is because there has been fights when someone drinks and they want to prevent that from happening, but I love drinking and drinking helps me fall asleep. AITA for sneaking liquor?

reminds me of that dude who thought his work was like Mad Men.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
if you have to get drunk just to tolerate your family... yyyyeah okay, i can totally see that

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cowslips Warren posted:

reminds me of that dude who thought his work was like Mad Men.

“…and then, by reflex, I offered my baby nephew a drink…”

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

Woozie66 posted:

Seltzer is also popular with recovering alcoholics. It's bitter and fizzy so it can help kind of scratch a similar itch. Liquid Death is a popular choice in that community, as far as I've seen.

Yes. I drink a lot of sparkling water for the bubbles, and diet sodas, but think Liquid Death is a waste of money. Seems like they are charging extra for the "Death" labels while skipping any kind of quality with the water part.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
remember My Best Friend's Wedding? I think that was what made me despise romcoms.

AITA for showing up to the wedding even after bride said she didn't want me there?

quote:

This involves me, JJ (Bride) and Calvin (groom).

Calvin and I grew up together as sandbox kids/neighbors. Took baths together, spent every waking moment of the first 14 years of our life together from preschool to trips our parents would take us on. Our parents always said we were destined to get married and even as kids, Calvin would always say I'd be the one he'd get married to. High school, we grew apart. There was no bad blood, we just had different interests and I was an unattractive nerd while he was star of the football team as cliché as it sounds. We'd still see each other on occasion through holiday parties and neighborhood dinners.

Now we're 30. I feel much better about myself and have found success in my single life. Calvin then announced he was engaged a year ago to JJ. There was a holiday party with our families again and my parents went (I was out of town). Apparently both families and Calvin mentioned me when sharing his baby photos and that they always thought it would be us engaged. It didn't seem to be in a bad way, just kind of a joke. According to my mom, afterwards, JJ seemed to be really intimidated by me and the past.

Apparently the families are still hanging onto the idea that I still wanted to marry Calvin. Sure, I was a tiny bit disappointed but it was like letting go of a childhood crush on Peter Pan, I'm not heartbroken about it and don't feel like anything was taken from me.

Move on to JJ. She found me on facebook and contacted me saying that she would appreciate if I didn't go to the wedding because she saw me as an 'ex' despite us never having a relationship. I left it on read and went anyway to support my friend and he was thankful I was there. Wished them well at the dinner table and went back to minding my own business and chatting with the other neighbors, Calvin's family, etc.

JJ reached out to me again and told me she was really disappointed in me and that me being there ruined her image of having a perfect wedding. I haven't shared this with anyone and don't think I will. I don't feel close enough to Calvin anymore to put a damper on his relationship. She seemed nice enough from what everyone's said, so that had me thinking if I really did ruin her wedding by being an AH and showing up anyway.

ETA: Yes, I was invited! Sorry, missed that bit of information.

ETA 2: Calvin's parents and my parents are best friends for life/neighbors. We will always have that connection to Calvin and JJ. My parents treat JJ like a daughter in law as well since Calvin has pretty much been like a brother, despite not being close anymore. It's a complicated situation.

i like the "take baths" part. because of course you were like loving 2 or 3 years old.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

quantumwell posted:

Yes. I drink a lot of sparkling water for the bubbles, and diet sodas, but think Liquid Death is a waste of money. Seems like they are charging extra for the "Death" labels while skipping any kind of quality with the water part.

i like that they're tallboy cans

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

quantumwell posted:

I know people who buy it particularly for the label. At first glance it looks like a can of beer or hard seltzer, which means it's easier to drink without someone coming up to you at a party and harassing you for not drinking.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I haven't drank in years and a few have said they think it's good/cool. One person questioned it, but they were a knob anyways. Harassing someone for not drinking is some full-tilt bogan poo poo.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

That entire "our babies will get married when they grow up" loving grosses me out so much because it happened to me and the adults got so creepy about it. They made us kiss for pictures then would take the pictures out for years to reminisce and tease us with them.

Then in our teens, the guy decided it was time to make destiny happen and would try to hold my hand, caress my arm or back, I woke up to him kissing my neck in the middle of the night once, I ended our friendship right there.

He ended up being a total piece of poo poo person anyway so I don't feel bad for rejecting him. A number of years later, he got hold of my boyfriends phone number and called him, threatening to beat the poo poo out of him because he thought I deserved better.

Anyway maybe 12 years ago or something, he was killed in a car accident because he was one of those anti seatbelt dudes and his brother rolled the vehicle while driving drunk.

Anyway that's the story of me and my toddler :airquote:boyfriend:airquote:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I remember many, many years ago, I was at a family friend's birthday party for the 4-year-old, so there were lots of kids of all kinds of ages. And one kid was about 2 years old, and he had his heart set on pretty much hugging and kissing every girl at the party.

Which is well in fine if the other kids are fine with it, but there was a 3-year-old girl who definitely did not want him touching her and she kept pushing him away which made most of the adults laugh and make her stay still so she could get her hug and kiss. I remember separating them at one point and was told by the parents to knock it off and let the kids be kids and be cute, and one point the little girl started crying and throwing a fit and was punished because of the tantrum. While the boy who kept kissing her to much applause and teasing that he was going to be a lady killer, moved on to his next target.

AITA for telling my sister that people are allowed to look annoyed by her toddler and baby on a plane and that it's entitled to say they should feel sorry for her because "it's even worse for me" because she made the a choice to take them on the plane?

quote:

Note, I'm well aware fathers are equally responsible for their children and her husband was with her on the flights, but he wasn't present for the conversation and it was only with my sister so focuses on her.

My sister "Chelsea" has two children, 22 months and 6 months, and last month her and her husband decided to go on a holiday to Europe before they'd have to buy a seat for the kids. She said the kids were "terrible flyers" and basically cried the whole way on both trips (we are from Australia) and wouldn't settle.

She has made a lot of passive aggressive posts on social media about how entitled non parents are about kids on planes and how people need to have more sympathy for mums because they are suffering more than they are because their babies won't settle and being a parent is hard. She's been kinda....whiney in general since she became a mum, always complaining about hard it is and she makes a lot of snide comments to me about how it "must be nice" that I sleep in etc because I've chosen not to have kids.

The plane situation came up when I saw her last night. She started talking about it again and I asked her if something specific happened or if someone was rude to her about the kids and she admitted that they weren't really, people just looked visibly annoyed as they kids refused to settle and on one of the flights, the person next to her asked the flight attendant if there was anywhere else she could sit after a couple of hours and looked really disappointed when told there wasn't as the flight was full. She also said they were rude because none of them offered to help her or give her reassuring smiles and comments.

I said that people have the right to be annoyed at a baby crying the whole way from Melbourne to Singapore on a flight that leaves at 1am in the morning and lands at like, 9am, and she went off saying that they don't and her kids have a right to fly. I told her I never said they didn't, just that people have the right to not be thrilled to be seated next to her infant who cries the whole way and that they don't have to feel more sorry for her than themselves because she is responsible for bringing the kids onto the plane and created the situation. I also said that no one but her and her husband are obligated to look after their children on a flight and it isn't fair to expect the people around her to help with them.

She stormed out and complained to my parents who backed my up, but our other sister started dogpiling me too so I just went home.
AITA?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

If a baby is crying the entire flight, it's probably because the pressure in the ears hasn't equalized and they're in excruciating pain.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Which is why they’re conveniently sized for a good shake.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop
Or place them in the overheard compartment

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

If the cargo hold is good enough for Mr. Fluffy, it's good enough for your baby.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for giving my child a name from a culture I have no connection to?

quote:

Hiya everyone,

For context, I'm a white American woman living in Japan with my husband (also white and American). We also have a daughter who was born here last year.

When deciding on names, we gave our daughter a traditional Japanese name, let's say 'Hanako' as an example (not the actual name we have). I didn't think anything of it at the time, but since my family and friends have made comments that it was a pretty silly choice as we are not Japanese, don't speak Japanese and our daughter is fully white. They say it will negatively impact her in the future if we return to the States and it's inappropriate/cultural appropriation. One of them pointed out it would be like naming our child Rakesh or something even though they aren't Indian.

So, AITA here for giving my non-Japanese child a Japanese name?

ETA: one of our (foreign) friends, said that it's not great because we can't pronounce the name in the correct way, also

EDIT: The name is Natsuki. Figure it doesn't matter much to give the actual name out

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I was hoping it was Keiko and then they could change their story to naming the kid after Free Willy if they got too much grief about it.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

I was hoping it was Keiko

Commander Riker to the transporter room, please beam me to your wife's quarters chief.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

quote:

We thought it sounded cool. It's also an anime character

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Shoutout the people living in Japan for a year who can’t / won’t speak Japanese despite being big enough weebs to give their kid an anime name.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

We've been over this. The name is Kanon from Naruto.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

well why not posted:

Shoutout the people living in Japan for a year who can’t / won’t speak Japanese despite being big enough weebs to give their kid an anime name.

I thought people like this had embarrassed themselves out of existence by now.

content:

AITA I'm giving my stepdaughter 3 months to move out

quote:

It’s time for my stepdaughter to move out of my home. This year she’ll be 23 years old. I met her father when she was 5 years old and took on the role of stepmom NEVER crossing that boundary of her birth mother, showing her how to be a woman, showing her how to cook, take care of a home, and her personal hygiene. She is on the heavier side, so I’ve always told her that she is going to have to learn how to take care of her hygiene a lot more intensely than most, you know keeping herself clean (because I didn’t want her to be bullied). When she was younger I made sure that she took showers regularly, brush her teeth, wash & combed her hair, etc. But when she turned 18 that all stopped. I have been living with the combination of stagnant fish water, stanky feet, and a stale closet. I am super sensitive to smells; I can tell which room she has been in after she’s left. It’s not only the smell that I cannot stand is also her laziness. I regularly clean my home and always sweep, dust, vacuum take out the trash mop the floors; and make sure that my house is always clean, I am a clean freak, I don’t expect anyone to clean the way I do, I do have my lazy moments, however, she doesn’t clean up after herself, one Friday I spent 2.5 hrs cleaning and re-organizing my kitchen (rage cleaning), I started my dishwasher and went to bed. When I woke up on Saturday, why was a sink full of dishes in the sink and crumbs all over the counter. I went smooth the gently caress off on her, she likes to stay up all hours of the night and sleep until 10 am the next day. Her dad said I overreacted; I went off on him also. There have been soo many “incidents,” I went to bathe my youngest (she’s 4) and I could not find a not a drat body towel to bathe her or dry her off, my 23 yr old and my 10 yr daughter are responsible for washing and folding the towels. I was so furious, again going off on her. The catalyst for this decision was that I was looking for my 4-year-old’s shoe for school, I searched EVERYWHERE that she usually plays, but I couldn’t find it. I had no other option but to check my stepdaughter’s room, and WOW when I opened the door, the smell hit me so hard in the face, I closed the door immediately and ran to get a face mask sprayed with perfume and went back in, and WTF she had so many of my lost dishes cups, fast food bags, garbage, dirty clothes, and whatever else was in that room. I left there as fast as I could, I just couldn’t handle it. I called her dad and told him that I had enough of living with a dumpster, tired of my home smelling like this, tired of her laziness, I am tired of being the only one that holds her accountable for doing her part, he stayed silent throughout the entire conversation, which infuriated me even more. The longer he stayed silent the louder I got. Because of this, today I am giving her and him an ultimatum. She has 3 months to move out, I am done. I have to know am I the rear end in a top hat?

This one was so exhausting to read; I have to assume that's why step-daughter doesn't have the will to even shower. A lot to unpack.

(sorry about not adding line breaks, I just couldn't find anywhere to put them in this stream of consciousness mess)

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Maybe she has issues that prevent her keeping clean, maybe she’s just a piggy. it doesn’t matter, she needs help either way and the help should’ve come long before an ultimatum.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

erosion posted:

My money's on stealth anti-vegan screed. Strong sensory aversion to animal products from someone who is described as unpleasant. And OP insists a little too strongly that she couldn't guess what DIL's issue might be.

I would disagree. Based on my experiences of the people that would that "anti-vegan" are more than usually happy and enthusiastic to say why they hate the vegans and how it is their fault they couldn't find anything to eat at Big Daves House of Pork Crackling, and were disrespectful for leaving early.

My guess is OP just really doesn't like her daughter in law, (for whatever reason), and has, (again for whatever reason), chosen to use this "picky eating" as an excuse to belittle and exclude her.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Mx. posted:

AITA for giving my child a name from a culture I have no connection to?

Lmao with the edit about the pronunciation I can loving hear them in my mind pronouncing it

It's supposed to sound kinda like nats-ki and they're running around saying Na TSOO ki

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

PizzaProwler posted:

content:

AITA I'm giving my stepdaughter 3 months to move out

This one was so exhausting to read; I have to assume that's why step-daughter doesn't have the will to even shower. A lot to unpack.

(sorry about not adding line breaks, I just couldn't find anywhere to put them in this stream of consciousness mess)

I wonder if she’s being “helpful” like my stepmom who told me I was overweight at 115 lbs and made me straighten my hair every night, then put curlers in every morning. And complained that I was in bed at 10 at night so that I could get up at 5:15am to go to school in the morning because teenagers should not be sleeping that much. And jeans need to be ironed after washing and drying. And I shouldn’t date black boys because what about the children (I was 15 and not interested in dating anyone because I was suicidal but one of the few black kids in our school had made it known he would like to be more than friends, I guess?). That last bit was said after she pulled me out of bed at 1215am to have a discussion with my father present.

Basically, I may be biased or projecting, but I think the stepdaughter needs mental health help and would be much healthier without her stepmom present in her life.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for not making board game nights in my store child-free?

I would like to congratulate most people in this story for doing things the right, good, and responsible way.

10 year old wants to get into DnD. So makes materials and reads up on it etc. So she knows what she is doing when she gets to play.

Mum notices her daughter is into a thing, but has nobody to play with. So sees a place that does said thing, and asks if a 10 year old girl would be welcome and/or safe to join in. (Both reasonable questions that need asking.)

The Comic Store(?) owner, checks with the group if that would be Okay, and also makes sure she is supervised by at least one parent at all times.

Some joyless childfree fucks complain. The boss tells them if a 10 year old existing on a different table with her new friends, being supervised by her bored dad/mum, bothers them so much they can gently caress off somewhere else. (Or come on a different night when the little girl wont be there).

Everything is dealt with nicely, safely, and within the rules. YAY for the nice people and the nice boss. YAY for a little girl and her supprotive parents. BOO to the joyless fuckwits complaining about her very existence.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

BrigadierSensible posted:

Everything is dealt with nicely, safely, and within the rules. YAY for the nice people and the nice boss. YAY for a little girl and her supprotive parents. BOO to the joyless fuckwits complaining about her very existence.

I can't help but suspect that anybody so upset that they can't act in their usual way because a child is present is such a crass boor that everybody was grateful for an excuse to get rid of them.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

I love the idea of being able to choose literally any name ever for the vulnerable, precious life you're bringing into the world and choosing one based on a character who's mostly known for unceremoniously exiting by projectile barfing on their self

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Gnoman posted:

I can't help but suspect that anybody so upset that they can't act in their usual way because a child is present is such a crass boor that everybody was grateful for an excuse to get rid of them.

Yup.Things like this is why clean gaming stores are clean gaming stores and sweaty neckbeard gaming stores are sweaty neckbeard gaming stores. The occasional annoying kid is a small price to pay to keep the gross edgelords at bay. (Not that this kid is actually doing anything annoying, just talking about kid-friendly game stores in general.)

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Nov 10, 2023

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

PizzaProwler posted:

Oh no. When I was living in Korea, there was a Canadian bloke who had been living there for 4 years by the time I moved, and he hadn't learned more than "Annyeong".

He had also been teaching Elementary School for those 4 years, yet didn't know who Pororo was.

And most damning he is the guy who once said to me "It's OK for me to say "n****r because I have a black friend. Back me up here BrigadierSensible, you've met him." To which I had, and the friend was a South African bloke who was just as much if not more of an arsehole as he was.

Oh the tales I could tell of arsehole ESL teachers, and I feel I have been relatively lucky compared to others whose stories I have heard.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Batterypowered7 posted:

What if you're Jewish and you can't do any work on Shabbos?

Even if that were applicable (I'm pretty sure it isn't but it's been a long day and I'm not digging through that stuff) pikuach nefesh would definitely apply. Almost all laws take a backseat to health and safety,

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Oh no. When I was living in Korea, there was a Canadian bloke who had been living there for 4 years by the time I moved, and he hadn't learned more than "Annyeong".

He had also been teaching Elementary School for those 4 years, yet didn't know who Pororo was.

And most damning he is the guy who once said to me "It's OK for me to say "n****r because I have a black friend. Back me up here BrigadierSensible, you've met him." To which I had, and the friend was a South African bloke who was just as much if not more of an arsehole as he was.

Oh the tales I could tell of arsehole ESL teachers, and I feel I have been relatively lucky compared to others whose stories I have heard.

We're absolutely not sending our best. So many ESL teachers are just people that can't hack it in their home country. I feel bad for so many countries having their only impressions of a lot of western countries being our bottom of the barrel ESL expats.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Bruceski posted:

Even if that were applicable (I'm pretty sure it isn't but it's been a long day and I'm not digging through that stuff) pikuach nefesh would definitely apply. Almost all laws take a backseat to health and safety,

It's okay. You just put a string around the entire city thus creating an eruv therefore allowing one to carry their dick during shabbos.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
You could just build an always-on mechanical contraption that raises and lowers your dick autonomously at random intervals. That way you are technically not doing any work yourself.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I have a friend who lives in Japan and doesn't speak much Japanese and has a daughter with a Japanese name.

On the other hand, his wife is Japanese, so I think it's fine.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Bruceski posted:

It's not, unless you want to get extremely picky about using up the hot water causing the water heater to need to turn on thus creating a spark.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Sounds like a job for… a forums thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Saying you can't be racist because you have a black friend is like saying you can't be a misogynist because you are married to a woman.