Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Snowdens Secret posted:

Anyone know who he posted in D&D as?

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Speaking of Bears, I follow/occasionally contribute to airliners.net, and there was a whole raft of pictures at the end of last year when an Indian Tu-142 visited Bombay's regular commercial airport for whatever reason. I have never seen an airplane look so out of place at an airport before.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Bears always look ungainly, but doubly so on the ground. The proportions just seem a bit off. The wing is too far forward, the fuselage is pretty narrow. Also the fact its still rockin' the turboprops.

In the end you can't argue it's a good, functional bird though.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Snowdens Secret posted:

Anyone know who he posted in D&D as?

So good.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

holocaust bloopers posted:

Those guys were legit doing their aircraft mission, though. The Russians with respect to the Alaska guys were just doing Cold War party games.

cite?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

For the Russia/Alaska thing? My own experience. I flew that mission for almost 3 years.

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

Mortabis posted:

Do we ever do the same thing to them?

Been a while since we did it to the Russians, but we haven't forgotten how.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2013/11/26/japan-china-senkaku-islands/3746771/

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/02/06/us-korea-north-idUSBREA150A320140206

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Cyrano4747 posted:

the whole A-10 issue just has a bunch of people who want to keep them on board for reasons that range from :spergin: to :patriot:

Where on this spectrum does BBRRRRAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPP fall?

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Memento posted:

Where on this spectrum does BBRRRRAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPP fall?

:cumpolice:

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

The Russians don't just do this with bears. They did it to Sweden with the Tu-22M3 (which I personally love, I think it looks badass with those big shoulders and the upward slice on the bottom of the nose) and Sweden were caught with their dick in the hand.

Source: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=04f_1366671874

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008
Noone has actually stated why we did not respond to the Russians during last easter. We knew that the Russians was going to conduct excercises and still did not put up anything.

So some speculate that it was on purpose as to not "disturb" the Russians and to either facilitate intelligence gathering and/or not give away response times etc to our neighbours.

Either that or we just couldn't be arsed because hey why work on a weekend.

:sweden:

(disclaimer, I'm an interested citizen but know next to nothing about our current capabilities and goals etc in the military)

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eyk-XHuOyBM
In-cockpit video of Blue Angels in formation.

It illustrates just how close and wiggly the whole affair is :stare:

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
It is incredible flying but what bothers me is that if I have to punch out, you're going through the wing of the plane next to you. Ouch.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Not sure if this would go here or the general MilHist thread, but can someone explain to me what the hell was with the US Dragon series of ATGMs?

Like, it seems from the start they were way too underpowered, inaccurate, had a wacky steering system that said "shoot me pls", and just seemed all around more terrible than everything the Russians and even the Europeans were putting out at the time.

So why did the US army stick with them for so long and not just ditch them for like, Milans like everyone else in NATO?

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

So why did the US army stick with them for so long and not just ditch them for like, Milans like everyone else in NATO?

So, the question you seem to be asking is why the United States military held on to an overly expensive, ineffective military system, and not adopt a cheaper, superior system produced by another country.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

OK, serious question: How many times has the US adopted foreign <whatever> for something that was going to see major, high profile use? I'm not talking the HSLD go fast guys being able to have a dozen whatever the fucks on the books because they're special and want them, I'm talking about the sort of things you see bought in big numbers and used by whatever passes as rank and file in that service. Random components kind of count (example: British engines in P51s) , but kind of not.

I THINK the most recent one is the Harrier. Then there's the Beretta M9 of course. Frankly I can't think of any others (without resorting to component shenanigans) until we get back to the m1917. The Krag, if you reach back a few years earlier. . .

edit: let's stick to post-ww1. WW1 introduces an entire cluster gently caress of us using French equipment. Nieuports and SPADs and all sorts of poo poo, both good and bad, due mostly to us trying to get people into the fight ASAP.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 27, 2014

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Aren't AT4s/M136s a Swedish design? And we use a bunch of FN machine guns too, right?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Davin Valkri posted:

Aren't AT4s/M136s a Swedish design? And we use a bunch of FN machine guns too, right?

Yeah, good call on the AT4s, FN m249 is another good one.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Cyrano4747 posted:

OK, serious question: How many times has the US adopted foreign <whatever> for something that was going to see major, high profile use? I'm not talking the HSLD go fast guys being able to have a dozen whatever the fucks on the books because they're special and want them, I'm talking about the sort of things you see bought in big numbers and used by whatever passes as rank and file in that service. Random components kind of count (example: British engines in P51s) , but kind of not.

I THINK the most recent one is the Harrier. Then there's the Beretta M9 of course. Frankly I can't think of any others (without resorting to component shenanigans) until we get back to the m1917. The Krag, if you reach back a few years earlier. . .

edit: let's stick to post-ww1. WW1 introduces an entire cluster gently caress of us using French equipment. Nieuports and SPADs and all sorts of poo poo, both good and bad, due mostly to us trying to get people into the fight ASAP.

Canberra was one too.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

The M240 is an FN MAG.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
My recollection is that Dragon missiles are much lighter than missiles like Milans.

The problem of preferring domestic stuff, dumb as it is for every reason, exists worldwide.

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 27, 2014

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Yeah the M240 is just an updated MAG58. We also use the M3 MAAWS (Carl Gustav), and a couple different mortar systems are foreign made. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_crew-served_weapons_of_the_U.S._Armed_Forces

If you want to go with vehicles, the Stryker is built in Canada and a couple MRAP models are foreign-designed and/or made. For aircraft, it doesn't look like we use any foreign-built or designed combat aircraft other than the Harrier, but we do use some foreign transport aircraft. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_active_United_States_military_aircraft

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

The M3 (Carl Gustaf) is, too. And the Bofors 40mm.

E:f;b

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
Main gun on the M1 was a British gun and on the M1A1 a German gun.

M240 medium machine gun is a variation of the FN MAG.

M249 light is a variation of the FN Minimi.

AT-4 is a Swedish design.

LAV-25s and Strykers are variants on Swiss designs.

M777 artillery is a British design.

M1014 is Beretta shotgun.

M252 81mm mortar is an adaption of a British design.

M32 grenade launcher is South African.

The SMAW is an adaptation of an Isreali design.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Federal law makes it, not impossible, but very difficult to purchase anything on government contract if a reasonable domestic substitute can be made to exist. At the least it generally will be built domestically.

We rented HSwMS Gotland because we needed a diesel submarine.

I'd also suspect with the ATGM thing that other people assumed their infantry-carried missiles were primary antitank assets, while the US assumes its antitank punch will come from its own tanks, and fixed/rotary air assets. In a hot war any man-portable anti-tank shaped hole in our lines can be filled by allies. Kinda like the convo we've had before here about why US mobile AA has sucked so hard for so long.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
NASAMS :norway: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASAMS

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Mortabis posted:

My recollection is that Dragon missiles are much lighter than missiles like Milans.

The problem of preferring domestic stuff, dumb as it is for every reason, exists worldwide.

There are plenty of smart reasons to prefer domestic designs and production, too. Arms development/licensing and manufacturing eat up a lot of money - if you're in charge of a country, it's in your best interest to keep that money flowing back into your own economy if it's at all possible (or, if you can't do that, funnel it towards a strong ally). And, especially on the production side, it's a good thing to be self-sufficient as much as possible. If you get into a war, you don't want to be hosed by an embargo or blockade.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Yeah I think we can assume that any hot war we encounter production capacity isn't going to be a significant factor. But this part:

Space Gopher posted:

if you're in charge of a country, it's in your best interest to keep that money flowing back into your own economy if it's at all possible

is completely wrong. That money flows back into your economy by the foreign stuff being better/costing less and the government taxing actually useful economic activity less.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Mortabis posted:

is completely wrong. That money flows back into your economy by the foreign stuff being better/costing less and the government taxing actually useful economic activity less.

Let's say two tanks are equally good, and the US variant costs $500 more than the foreign one. It would obviously be better to employ American workers than foreign workers, as far as the local economy goes.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
For the American workers working in the local factory maybe but for everyone else no.

I'm just speaking from a strictly economic perspective here. There may be other strategic reasons for buying domestically which I'm really not going to try to judge the merits of.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Mortabis posted:

Sorta; the money the government spends overseas leaves the system (If you consider the country a closed system); the money the government spends at home gets taxed on the way down, then what's left is spent within the economy, where it's taxed again, and that's spent again and taxed again...

If you think of all government spending as subsidizing a segment of the economy, it makes a lot more sense to subsidize your own economy than to subsidize some other guy's. I'd much rather a government procurement contract create 200 jobs the next province over than 100 jobs in Scandinavia, you know?

Plus it's not like the government is going to tax anyone less because they're spending less, in practice.

Mortabis posted:

For the American workers working in the local factory maybe but for everyone else no.

Well, it's better for the workers, for the people working in the restaurants those workers frequent, for the people renting apartments to the people working in those restaurants, for the people who get hired to renovate those apartments and for the cities charging property taxes on those buildings, amongst others.

Money the government spend doesn't just go into someone's account and sit there.

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 27, 2014

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Mortabis posted:

Yeah I think we can assume that any hot war we encounter production capacity isn't going to be a significant factor.

Why would we assume that?

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Godholio posted:

Why would we assume that?

Because a modern war will be short either way. Either you run out of ammunition or the collapse of international trade makes a long war impossible to finance. Besides, the monarchies of Europe are all related to each other, I don't see why they would wage a long war that could end in a revolution. They'll make peace quickly if it becomes obvious that a long war can't be won.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

ArchangeI posted:

Because a modern war will be short either way. Either you run out of ammunition or the collapse of international trade makes a long war impossible to finance. Besides, the monarchies of Europe are all related to each other, I don't see why they would wage a long war that could end in a revolution. They'll make peace quickly if it becomes obvious that a long war can't be won.

Or it all ends in nuclear holocaust. But yeah, blockades and embargoes fall into that category of 19th Century diplomacy that just has no place in the 21st century world.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Snowdens Secret posted:

Or it all ends in nuclear holocaust.

The joke ->

Zeppelin ->

Fokker Eindecker ->

You ->

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Space Gopher posted:

There are plenty of smart reasons to prefer domestic designs and production, too. Arms development/licensing and manufacturing eat up a lot of money - if you're in charge of a country, it's in your best interest to keep that money flowing back into your own economy if it's at all possible (or, if you can't do that, funnel it towards a strong ally). And, especially on the production side, it's a good thing to be self-sufficient as much as possible. If you get into a war, you don't want to be hosed by an embargo or blockade.

Domestic production, yes. Domestic designs, no. Those same design engineers will still have a job doing production engineering, quality assurance, and updates/upgrades whether they imagined it from scratch or not.

Not Invented Here is an extremely infuriating fallacy. Superior weapons systems are superior weapons systems, and the end user shouldn't give a poo poo who dreamed them up.

I hope some office in the pentagon procurement department has a file cabinet full of war material we can actually mass produce during a serious conflict. Because we sure as poo poo aren't gonna be cranking out F-22s or F-35s at 20,000 a year.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

MRC48B posted:

I hope some office in the pentagon procurement department has a file cabinet full of war material we can actually mass produce during a serious conflict. Because we sure as poo poo aren't gonna be cranking out F-22s or F-35s at 20,000 a year.

Is there a realistic scenario where two nuclear powers (one of which is the USA) have an extended conventional war and neither side goes nuclear pretty quickly? I was always under the impression that potential wars were pretty much either:

1. Regional war against a non-peer adversary (Gulf War, OIF, OEF) where USA-based production capacity isn't particularly strained because losses aren't that bad, relatively speaking.
2. Holy gently caress the world is exploding, nukes are going off everywhere. Production capacity doesn't matter because everyone's dead.

If there's not something between those two, then does domestic production capacity matter nearly as much?

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Craptacular posted:

Yeah the M240 is just an updated MAG58. We also use the M3 MAAWS (Carl Gustav), and a couple different mortar systems are foreign made. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_crew-served_weapons_of_the_U.S._Armed_Forces

If you want to go with vehicles, the Stryker is built in Canada and a couple MRAP models are foreign-designed and/or made. For aircraft, it doesn't look like we use any foreign-built or designed combat aircraft other than the Harrier, but we do use some foreign transport aircraft. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_active_United_States_military_aircraft

I wouldn't count any of those foreign transports...all the USAF ones are small buys for AFSOC to do special things with, and the HC-144 is for the Coast Guard.

MRC48B posted:

Uh, the kind of stuff you need to fight and win a serious conflict today isn't the type of stuff you can just crank out on a whim; the days of WWII style converting jukebox factories to build rifles while GM builds fighters are long over. That's why people get so wrapped around the axle about procurement decisions, because the decision you make to end or expand a program today will have an impact 30 years from now.

This would also be why those of us concerned about American airpower pitched such a shitfit when the F-22 buy got canned at 187. Stopping the program with that low of a number of aircraft incurred a rather significant amount of strategic risk that no one at the time in a position of power seemed to really care about.

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 28, 2014

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Craptacular posted:

Is there a realistic scenario where two nuclear powers (one of which is the USA) have an extended conventional war and neither side goes nuclear pretty quickly? I was always under the impression that potential wars were pretty much either:

1. Regional war against a non-peer adversary (Gulf War, OIF, OEF) where USA-based production capacity isn't particularly strained because losses aren't that bad, relatively speaking.
2. Holy gently caress the world is exploding, nukes are going off everywhere. Production capacity doesn't matter because everyone's dead.

If there's not something between those two, then does domestic production capacity matter nearly as much?

That was the plot of Red Storm Rising right? I have no clue if that scenario was realistic or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Craptacular posted:

I'm always wondering about the "China and the US go to war, war goes nuclear within a week" thing, because it makes little sense to me. The decision to escalate to nuclear is a political one, so the political gain of going nuclear has to outweigh the political cost. Since the cost is the complete destruction of your country because MAD is a thing, I don't see a scenario where a country would decide to escalate to nuclear. That includes tactical nukes. Today, firing off a nuke isn't just packing a big explosion into a small bomb anymore, it is a message. Any nuke will be answered with a full response, no holds bared, make the rubble glow because of what a nuke means politically.

Compare, in a way, chemical weapons in WWII. They weren't used, even by sides that were in absolutely desperate situations. Neither the Russians in 1941/1942 nor the Germans in 1944/1945 decided to unleash chemical weapons (the Japanese did in China, but only on a very limited scale). Even if you account for Hitler's aversion to gas and the fear of reprisals, by 1945 there was little left to lose for the Nazis by deciding to outfit a V2 or three with poison gas.