Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Minto Took posted:

Sleep was the loudest show I’ve been to. Wear plugs.
The last Sleep show I went to (beginning of 2018), I was right up in the front row with no plugs (I'm dumb) and Boris was still louder even though I was a decent ways away from the stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Sleep next week for me. :420:

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

For the most part seeing Sleep live is loud as gently caress, but it's all lower range so, it doesn't bother me particularly. That all goes to poo poo during Matt Pike's solos. He hits some notes high up on the fretboard and I can just feel my high range hearing melting away.

I already have tinnitus so, I'm definitely gonna bring some earplugs to see them play next Monday.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Having a threshold for plugs (your usual suspects Sunn Sleep Swans Boris Wizard etc) aint cuttin it

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Higher frequencies are usually the damaging ones, correct? Checkmate treble losers.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
I grew up around loud rear end cars so loud concerts didn't even really register with me as being loud until my mid 20s when I realized I couldn't sleep at night anymore without some loud noise to drown out the constant buzzing in my head. I carry my plugs on my keychain now and even use them in just a busy bar, helps me actually hear the person I'm talking to.

When I saw sleep back in December I recall them selling some sleep branded earplugs at the merch table and I thought that was kinda cool.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!
I'm 42 and I can't hear.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'm 140 and I can hear frequencies usually reserved for dogs

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

im 12 and i love this kind of deafness! Everyone at my school is into modern stuff like being run out of parking lots by mosquito alarms and not sleeping with a white noise machine. I guess I was born in the wrong generation...

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

My hearing must be going because I always expect Sleep to be much louder than they are.

Bongripper in a club with no windows was the loudest Ive been to. I was having trouble hearing in the morning. I actually brought earplugs for that show and left them at the motel.

Whats everyone favorite earplug? Im gonna buy some right now.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

buy Etymotic ER20XS. I have 3 pairs, two are always in my car. Shows are unbearable without them now, I don't have any bad tinnitus really but my ears are hosed enough from not wearing any for the longest time because I hate foam plugs.

I also have an older version of these Earpeace HD plugs which are pretty good too.. they seem to have undergone a redesign and now I want to get another pair to see how they compare to the etymotics.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Rageaholic posted:

The last Sleep show I went to (beginning of 2018), I was right up in the front row with no plugs (I'm dumb) and Boris was still louder even though I was a decent ways away from the stage.

Well, I haven't seen Boris, so you got me there.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I kinda get if you're like 17 and on some "I want my music to be unfiltered and pure" kick but if you're at all an adult you need to realize that hearing loss is no joke. My tinnitus is at the point where I occasionally get those ice pick stabs of sound in my head at completely random times, poo poo's not fun.

In loud news, I caught Earth and Helms Alee last night in Orlando. First time I've ever really heard Helms Alee and they really impressed me. Earth is Earth, no one in this thread needs to be told how good they are.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Ive never been to a concert where the music didnt sound better with earplugs in, including S/D/S shows. The fun of high volume shows imo is the rumble/low end, which you still experience with plugs in.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

spaced ninja posted:

When I saw sleep back in December I recall them selling some sleep branded earplugs at the merch table and I thought that was kinda cool.

That would have been cool except those were the ones I used for Sunn in a tiny venue and my tinnitus is dramatically worse since then. I didn’t think etymotics would be good enough and I was right but I don’t think the Sleep ones have as much reduction as your usually foam plugs, ~30dB.

Basically gently caress those plugs. I should have just used some 3M plugs from work- now the ringing is so loud it’s hard to ignore even in fairly loud environments.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I wore my Etymotics when I last saw Sunn. I was stood front centre and I'm sure they helped, but I still had ringing in my ears the next morning. I dunno what they wear on stage, but I wonder if it's more in the range of industrial noise hazard protection rather than musician's earplugs.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Swans with no plugs was the loudest thing Ive ever heard. Swans with Etymotics in was still so loud it felt like at a normal concert without plugs. Swans with the big foam, block-all-the-sound earplugs sounded like I had Etymotics in.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
I know everyone is talking about it and I've already called anyone who doesn't wear plugs dumb, but as someone that has tinnitus (developed, of all things, from a cold I had a few years back, not from shows since I WEAR MY PLUGS!), wear plugs, please. Tinnitus sucks, hearing loss sucks, major hearing loss in old age is bad and can contribute to cognitive declines/dementia according to some studies. Protect yourself as much as possible. Don't be some cool tough guy/gal/whatever that thinks not wearing plugs makes you seem like a badass. It doesn't. Most people at shows wear plugs. If anyone gives you grief for wearing them, just tell them to gently caress off in a low voice and laugh when they ask you what you said. And it has been said before, but I've found plugs actually make shows sound better, cutting down on that over-modulation that fuzzes things out.

Full of Hell's new album Weeping Choir is one of my favorites this year. They tend to stick to grind/death, but this track has some pretty sludgy elements and I love it to death.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkS7PSB5iH4

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

big scary monsters posted:

I wore my Etymotics when I last saw Sunn. I was stood front centre and I'm sure they helped, but I still had ringing in my ears the next morning. I dunno what they wear on stage, but I wonder if it's more in the range of industrial noise hazard protection rather than musician's earplugs.

When I was up in the death cave for Sunn with Ingmar Terdman leaving the show it didn't seem like they were that loud. Next morning my ears were definitely ringing some and it hit me that unlike most shows with Sunn there's no real break in the sound. You're constantly being blasted with high volumes of TONE for an hour plus an encore.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

The cave show was no doubt the quietest Sunn show I’ve seen too.

My gf said she thought it was half the volume of her only other time seeing them and that the venue must have been scared.

Basically music is loud, don’t be a dumbass like me. Over 30 years of shows for me and the toll is bad and only gets worse as time goes by.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Detective Thompson posted:

Full of Hell's new album Weeping Choir is one of my favorites this year. They tend to stick to grind/death, but this track has some pretty sludgy elements and I love it to death.

It's a great album. Saw them live last year, it was amazing.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
I don't even know what thread Baroness go into anymore

Gold & Grey full stream

https://consequenceofsound.net/2019/06/baroness-gold-grey-album-stream/

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

is it anything like purple at all, or is it good instead?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Lid posted:

I don't even know what thread Baroness go into anymore

judging by the first few tracks, the "really boring rock" thread

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
Production is terrible.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Detective Thompson posted:

I know everyone is talking about it and I've already called anyone who doesn't wear plugs dumb, but as someone that has tinnitus (developed, of all things, from a cold I had a few years back, not from shows since I WEAR MY PLUGS!), wear plugs, please. Tinnitus sucks, hearing loss sucks, major hearing loss in old age is bad and can contribute to cognitive declines/dementia according to some studies. Protect yourself as much as possible. Don't be some cool tough guy/gal/whatever that thinks not wearing plugs makes you seem like a badass. It doesn't. Most people at shows wear plugs. If anyone gives you grief for wearing them, just tell them to gently caress off in a low voice and laugh when they ask you what you said. And it has been said before, but I've found plugs actually make shows sound better, cutting down on that over-modulation that fuzzes things out.

It comes up in this thread like every three pages (of course that's when we actually get replies in here, heh) and I was just harping on it because I sincerely wasn't understanding it, that's all. I can dig if somebody is always forgetting to bring them to shows, but I bet that people forgetting the plugs sure as hell don't forget their weed! Sheeeeit. In fact: http://shiiiit.com/

I don't think that anybody is giving another person grief for wearing plugs. I've never had that occur to me nor anybody I know at any show, so I can't see that being a cause for any sort of peer-pressure anxiety. Like it you quit drinking and you're worried that somebody is gonna call you a pussy, it's not hard to blow it off. Just be like "what are, you, twelve?"

I have my own lil' SDS band like half of the peeps in here too, so I always have earplugs on hand which makes it easier to remember them. Vincent from Dopethrone just posted on FB that he woke up with complete hearing loss in one ear, which is hopefully a temporary oddity, but it's kinda sobering at times. Old man rant over.

Oh and new Baroness is pretty eh. I dig Baizley but his voice is starting to get too "sing-songy" for me in areas, to the point where it reminds me of pop-punk Blink-182 horseshit, and the only time I want to hear Blink-182 is when they're screaming from being boiled alive in a vat of acid

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I like the new Baroness (and all of their records really) but their current press photo is killing me

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Besides the Happy Mondays hat I like the photo more than the music.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
i like both! though i'm only 2 songs in i'm enjoying it so far. i also really liked purple :shrug:

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Henchman of Santa posted:

I like the new Baroness (and all of their records really) but their current press photo is killing me

lmao that photo is perfect, it's exactly what I would expect based on their music

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

I’m not much for video game references, but Baizley is really starting to look like the dude from GTA5

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

AstroWhale posted:

Production is terrible.

yeah what the low end is all rattly and fuzzy and not in a good way?

I dunno I'll give it another shot when it's not streaming-on-NPR quality but eh

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

my bony fealty posted:

yeah what the low end is all rattly and fuzzy and not in a good way?

I dunno I'll give it another shot when it's not streaming-on-NPR quality but eh
that's their new sound I guess to make the boring music sound interesting?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

New Baroness rules but that production still confuses the gently caress out of me. It’s very, very deliberate. Sometimes I think it fits them flawlessly and other times it’s the strangest thing.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

It sounds like everyone is playing in their separate rooms with mics out in the hallway.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Went to the Sleep this week. They were VERY loud. I wore plugs on recommendation of this thread (thanks goons!!!) and it was indeed the right call. They still sounded great and curiosity got the best of me 2/3 thru their set. I took one plug out for a few seconds and it was absolutely deafening. I stood in the middle of the small venue about 15 feet from the stage. Matt and Al’s rigs are insane! A couple people were even dressed as weedians. I snagged the glow in the dark tour poster and a sweet Leagues Beneath shirt. Big Business was fun too. Good show.

/showreport

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Baroness likes that weird production and it was the same way on Purple and I do not get it at all

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Is The Dirty Nil allowed here? Their latest gave me a really strong stoner/sludge vibe.

https://thedirtynil.bandcamp.com/track/astro-ever-after

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

scuz posted:

Is The Dirty Nil allowed here? Their latest gave me a really strong stoner/sludge vibe.

https://thedirtynil.bandcamp.com/track/astro-ever-after

I have not listened to them but I was under the impression they were like a garage rock band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

I have not listened to them but I was under the impression they were like a garage rock band.
They definitely are, but this particular track has a v different feel to it. They recorded this one along with the rest of their last album (which is v garage/stadium rock) but they released this one on its own.