Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
My Evo 3D has been amazingly functional since getting ICS. I'm not sure what happened to your phone to get it that hosed up, but since updating, I've had less and less of a craving for a new phone (until I saw that HTC Butterfly J with a 5" 1080p screen). It's never been rooted, but I'm sure I'll eventually get around to it once a proper JB rom gets released. I'm just trying to say that it's not the 3D's fault and is more likely some hardware or software error.

In other news, I finally received my data roaming letter from Sprint. This will be the third month that I go over 300MB roaming, but there was no immediate threat of cancellation in the letter. I can post it if you guys are curious to see their wording.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

mastershakeman posted:

I'm at least waiting for the next wave of Nexus announcements before deciding how to move on from my Evo3d. If the LG one is the only one, I'll just stick with this freaking thing for a long while :I.
If there was going to be another Nexus phone I think it would've leaked by now :(

Sole Survivor
Aug 21, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

I'm at least waiting for the next wave of Nexus announcements before deciding how to move on from my Evo3d. If the LG one is the only one, I'll just stick with this freaking thing for a long while :I.

I bought a Galaxy Nexus on Ebay for $275 brand new, to replace my Evo 3D. Worth every penny, since Jelly Bean doesn't really work properly (and most likely never will).

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="408714420"]In other news, I finally received my data roaming letter from Sprint. This will be the third month that I go over 300MB roaming, but there was no immediate threat of cancellation in the letter. I can post it if you guys are curious to see their wording.
Ooh, please do share.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Sole Survivor posted:

I bought a Galaxy Nexus on Ebay for $275 brand new, to replace my Evo 3D. Worth every penny, since Jelly Bean doesn't really work properly (and most likely never will).

This isn't true anymore. CM10 is rock solid with only a few minor bugs that are being actively fixed.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

td4guy posted:

Ooh, please do share.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

datajosh posted:

If there was going to be another Nexus phone I think it would've leaked by now :(

Agreed. Especially with a big Google event on the 29th.

Not digging the LG which pisses me off because I've been holding off for the Nexus.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Krime posted:

Agreed. Especially with a big Google event on the 29th.

Not digging the LG which pisses me off because I've been holding off for the Nexus.

Exactly! What's 2013 going to bring? A Kyocera Nexus?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Just want to put a thanks here for Duckman for the Employee Care number and Sprint's awesome customer service.

I called EC to enquire about the removal of the spending limit on my account. The call lasted about 5-10 minutes. As a sales rep via phone myself, I know how annoying long calls can be but this guy was really drat nice about the whole thing and answered all of my questions to the point and didn't hesitate to look up things in my account when asked.

moolchaba posted:

Exactly! What's 2013 going to bring? A Kyocera Nexus?

Yes. With four screens.

Mr. Ali
Oct 2, 2003
gay man

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, my friend actually got screwed on that. Take it to another store, some techs wont replace it if they think it is physical damage.

I called sprint on behalf of my sister and they are shipping my sister an EVO 4G for free. I was surprised they even had it available, thought that phone was long gone. Here's hoping this refurbished one isn't worse.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Yes. With four screens.
And 10 spare batteries.

Why all the LG hate? Nexus phones have a tendency to far exceed the manufacturer's typical quality.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

brc64 posted:

And 10 spare batteries.

Why all the LG hate? Nexus phones have a tendency to far exceed the manufacturer's typical quality.

LG tends to not use the best quality parts.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

change my name posted:

It now crashes very frequently, misreads the amount the battery has left (ie says it's at 2%, then when I pull the battery and reboot it shows like 40%, which is right), internet typing is screwed up and I can't make forum posts without a ton of typos, the way the internet app is laid out now is terrible, etc. Plus sometimes my alarm volume gets set to 0 and I've woken up late because of it, which never happened before I updated.

Glad to see they learned their lesson with the Evo Shift Gingerbread update... equally glad I ditched my E3D in June right before the update.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

FlyingCheese posted:

This isn't true anymore. CM10 is rock solid with only a few minor bugs that are being actively fixed.

Which kernel are you using? I'd like to put CM10 on but haven't made the jump yet.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

mastershakeman posted:

Which kernel are you using? I'd like to put CM10 on but haven't made the jump yet.

Just Vanilla right at the moment, supposedly bluetooth is wonky with it but I don't have any bluetooth devices I use with my phone so that doesn't bother me at all. Apparently Anthrax has everything working except 4G. I haven't made the jump to Anthrax because I actually live in an area with really good 4G access and 4G works great with Vanilla.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Gotcha, I'll do that then, as I use 4g in some situations.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

mastershakeman posted:

Gotcha, I'll do that then, as I use 4g in some situations.

There's apparently a build coming in the next few days that addresses all of the bugs. Agrabren is at the Big Android BBQ testing it out now and if everything goes well it'll be posted. If you want to wait for the bluetooth fixes, you might be better off.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Well, I got a heap error which I don't understand, so I'll wait on said build.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

What hboot are you on? AOSP based ROMS won't work on 1.5 or later. You might need to downgrade (the wire trick method).

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Duckman2008 posted:

LG tends to not use the best quality parts.

Which android manufacturer does?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

FlyingCheese posted:

What hboot are you on? AOSP based ROMS won't work on 1.5 or later. You might need to downgrade (the wire trick method).

Ugghhhhh. I am on 1.5 and was able to use an AOSP ICS rom.

Hooray Dialysis
May 20, 2007

everything is cool
edit: wrong thread, I'm dumb.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

mastershakeman posted:

Ugghhhhh. I am on 1.5 and was able to use an AOSP ICS rom.

I'm not 100% on it because I never upgraded from 1.4 (revolutionary), I just know it's the most compatible hboot.

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Say hello to the sunrise for me...
I went into a Sprint store now to replace my digitizer on my 3D. They wouldn't do it because it's out of warranty. They said they can replace it for 100 dollars, but they recommended I just upgrade. Even though I have TEP. I just walked out. I really like Sprint unlimited policy, but I am going to drop them in December when my contract is up.

edit: I can't use the keyboard on chrome, I also have the alarm problems but overall I think ICS on the 3D was a good upgrade

datajosh
May 3, 2002

brc64 posted:

LG doesn't have a good track record so far and 8GB of non-expandable storage is just not enough anymore. I'm not a fan of the non-removable battery either but that's less of an issue.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

datajosh posted:

LG doesn't have a good track record so far and 8GB of non-expandable storage is just not enough anymore. I'm not a fan of the non-removable battery either but that's less of an issue.

Doesn't the Galaxy Nexus have 32GB? I can't imagine Google would release a new Nexus phone with less memory than the previous generation...

Mr. Ali
Oct 2, 2003
gay man

atomicvocabulary posted:

I went into a Sprint store now to replace my digitizer on my 3D. They wouldn't do it because it's out of warranty. They said they can replace it for 100 dollars, but they recommended I just upgrade. Even though I have TEP. I just walked out. I really like Sprint unlimited policy, but I am going to drop them in December when my contract is up.

edit: I can't use the keyboard on chrome, I also have the alarm problems but overall I think ICS on the 3D was a good upgrade

You can try what I did and call customer care and say the Sprint repair store would not fix your phone even with TEP and have them cross ship you a replacement phone for no cost (assuming no physical damage). loving worthless sprint repair stores...

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

atomicvocabulary posted:

Assuming the screen isn't cracked, that's just sprint reps being dicks and wanting a sale. Try another store.

I have a confession for the Sprint thread: I have been interviewing at AT&T and Verizon. I am expecting a call from AT&T Monday ish with an official job offer, and will be putting in a two week notice at my current sprint sales job.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Duckman2008 posted:

I have a confession for the Sprint thread: I have been interviewing at AT&T and Verizon. I am expecting a call from AT&T Monday ish with an official job offer, and will be putting in a two week notice at my current sprint sales job.

Thats awesome! Best of luck!

I'm switching from Sprint to Verizon in Feb/March...the service is awful in my area and all the "perks" I've enjoyed over the years have been slowly stripped away. They've always treated me right as a customer, but the coverage/data speeds just aren't worth it anymore.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
If I didn't have 5 lines I would be joining you. Sprint will turn it around? Right?

datajosh
May 3, 2002

brc64 posted:

Doesn't the Galaxy Nexus have 32GB? I can't imagine Google would release a new Nexus phone with less memory than the previous generation...
16GB for the most part although there is a 32GB model. The LG Nexus rumors all point to 8GB so far but we'll know for sure on the 29th.

Duckman2008 posted:

Good luck! AT&T might be where we end up when our contract runs out next year, depending on how Sprint is looking by then.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

datajosh posted:

16GB for the most part although there is a 32GB model. The LG Nexus rumors all point to 8GB so far but we'll know for sure on the 29th.

Good luck! AT&T might be where we end up when our contract runs out next year, depending on how Sprint is looking by then.

The rumors I've been hearing are 8GB and 16GB for the LG Nexus, is it really JUST 8GB?

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

nate fisher posted:

If I didn't have 5 lines I would be joining you. Sprint will turn it around? Right?

Well they just posted a week of 300 new sites which is a nice bump. If that lasts and doesn't backslide they may finally be getting this turkey moving. At places where they have full upgrades the speeds are excellent.

I am hoping the SoftBank cash infusion helps light a fire under them. If they start posting 500 sites per week upgraded then things will be on the right track. The way the deal is structured they get a couple billion from a bond right away.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

Duckman2008 posted:

My marriage with Sprint may be nearing an end as well. Unlimited data is a nice idea but I've found I only really use around 800MB at most since I'm always around wifi at work or home and when I'm streaming Pandora in the car. That leaves me with a ton of head room and I'm probably looking towards Verizon services since according to their map they actually have LTE rolled out around where I live near the Eastern Shore along with superb service that everyone here is having.

All the things that made them super great are slowly disappearing but at least if you have like 5 lines, it's cheaper overall. At least they did get on it when I tried to unlock my iPhone 4S for international usage. My iphone wasn't showing up on my account correctly even after they tried to re-add my IMEI/MEID and they got things done and unlocked lickity split while I was flying to China. Ended up with the same rep about my problem twice as well!

I guess one thing I want to ask is what is the best way to go about this if I do? I am the main account holder so is there some way to transfer ownership to another person on my line? I'm going to guess they'll be subjected to a credit check as well if I can transfer it over.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

I'd say the only legitimate reasons to stick with Sprint are these

1. You want to gamble on the Softbank merger turning things around FAST.
2. Sprint actually has excellent coverage in your area already.
3. You MUST have unlimited data.
4. You have SERO.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Krime posted:

I'd say the only legitimate reasons to stick with Sprint are these

1. You want to gamble on the Softbank merger turning things around FAST.
2. Sprint actually has excellent coverage in your area already.
3. You MUST have unlimited data.
4. You have SERO.

I think even without sero sprint can be substantially cheaper.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Giblet posted:

True. I only priced out a family plan on Verizon recently. I'm sure individual plans aren't nearly as cost effective.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Giblet posted:

EPRP is pretty cheap for me too.

When I did some shopping around, Verizon and AT&T were pretty drat expensive. I think the reason Sprint thrives so much in Omaha is because it's the cheapest of the contract carriers.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

FlyingCheese posted:

Just Vanilla right at the moment, supposedly bluetooth is wonky with it but I don't have any bluetooth devices I use with my phone so that doesn't bother me at all. Apparently Anthrax has everything working except 4G. I haven't made the jump to Anthrax because I actually live in an area with really good 4G access and 4G works great with Vanilla.

Do you have a name for the rom you're using? I'm looking into picking up a 3D now to replace my EVO and I want to make sure I can get what I need out of the phone :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

bobula posted:

Do you have a name for the rom you're using? I'm looking into picking up a 3D now to replace my EVO and I want to make sure I can get what I need out of the phone :)

Sure, it's CM10 Disarmed Toaster by Agrabren, I posted download links a few pages ago. It's up to 2.2 right now. 2.3/3.0 should be coming in a few days.