Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

Dennis McClaren posted:

If that's a mission - what's a task?

And where do all of these originate at? Different zones you have to pick the missions up in?

Thanks!

Task - A step-by-step quest that completes to give you something (xp, loot, flags, etc)
Solo Task - A task that only updates when you personally do a thing. If it requires 3 things to be looted, you must be the one to loot them. If it requires 3 things to be killed, it updates as long as you receive kill credit for a mob (solo, group, raid, etc)
Group Task - A task that usually requires 3 people with no more than 6 people. These are typically a quick dungeon clear or things of this nature.
Mission - Synonym for a group task. Later on (in SoD and beyond) things tend to be 'do 3 solo tasks to flag you to request a mission, complete the mission to complete progression in a zone'
Raid Task - Similar to a normal raid, raid tasks can have variable number of people that are allowed. There are "mini" raid tasks that allow 12 people, other raid tasks allow 54. Completing a raid task can give you special rewards at the end that sometimes dynamic zone raids cannot
Dynamic Zone Raid - The mechanic for raids prior to Raid Task, and typically for progression / endgame raiding nowadays. These are almost universally 54 man after Planes of Power, except for Agent of Change raids which are universally 72, and the new Vule instance which is 36.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
That was a great explanation, thanks so much.

One thing I'm still confused about though - who's giving out all these tasks/missions? Are they just everywhere?

I got lv62 last night, and my last group had me talk to the gnome in Lavastorm for some Stillmoon tasks. I logged before I had a chance to finish them. Can you pick up tasks where you left off, the next time you log on? Or do you have to start them over?

So - Lavastorm guys, and Broodlands guys, any other task/mission giving locs I should know about?

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

Dennis McClaren posted:

That was a great explanation, thanks so much.

One thing I'm still confused about though - who's giving out all these tasks/missions? Are they just everywhere?

I got lv62 last night, and my last group had me talk to the gnome in Lavastorm for some Stillmoon tasks. I logged before I had a chance to finish them. Can you pick up tasks where you left off, the next time you log on? Or do you have to start them over?

So - Lavastorm guys, and Broodlands guys, any other task/mission giving locs I should know about?

There are tasks all over the place in every expansion starting in Dragons of Norrath.

Solo tasks you can complete whenever, for the most part. Group tasks usually have a timer (6 hours, sometimes 2). There are solo tasks that have a timer too.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

That's really cool. And just to make sure - I start all these at lv65?

I really want to start my 1.0 epic - but I know doing anything but leveling is kind of a waste of time. Especially now that I'm in a raiding guild - I'll probably get a full set of everything rotting my first go out. I got 63 tonight, but I need to keep pushing it. Having a blast while I'm doing it.

At 63, what are some good spots to level?
- Wall of Slaughter
- Plane of Fire
-????

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Paw, paw, and oh also Paw.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
more Live questions:

* my Warrior is now level 15, and is fighting the Mucktail Gnolls for the first time. The Shaman are casting roots on me. This isn't really a big deal as far as I'm still able to beat them handily, but I was wondering if there was something I should be doing to, say, interrupt their casting or break out of the roots early.

* I still have that message in my mail about doing the "weapon quests" in the Plane of Knowledge. Are those worth doing?

* If so, how do I get to the Plane of Knowledge from Crescent Reach?

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
there's some belts you can get from those armor quests that give you worn haste. There's suspension of slime that shamans make that lets you snare stuff. I don't remember how well it works. It won't help you with root, but it might help you when you get to stuff that runs at low hp.

you can get to pok through blightfiremoors, zone from Crescent reach then hug the mountain to the right a little bit.

Clicking zone-guide from the map or something lets you set a destination and puts a big trail on your screen to get to new zones. It works pretty good for low level zones.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jan 13, 2018

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

xZAOx posted:

Paw, paw, and oh also Paw.

I was told by some folks in game that Paw is only got 65+ ? Wouldn't it be exceedingly hard to get a group there at 63? (not that anyone GETS a group on Phin, you gotta make it yourself haha).

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

Dennis McClaren posted:

I was told by some folks in game that Paw is only got 65+ ? Wouldn't it be exceedingly hard to get a group there at 63? (not that anyone GETS a group on Phin, you gotta make it yourself haha).

You're getting to the point where it should be more easy to make groups because the majority of the server is within your range.

Paw is 60+ assuming you have the right group. All of the elementals are "mostly" slowable iirc which lowers their damage significantly. The only change is where you fight as you level since you can handle more of them at once.

Plane of Fire requires 65 to zone in unless it got lowered in DoN? I don't recall if it was going to.

WoS is *okay*, the reason to do WoS is to farm runes for spells. I believe you have to be 65 to zone into WoS as well anyways.

DoN tasks are 65+ I believe. If not you could do stuff from Stillmoon Temple, Lavaspinner Lair, and Tirannun's Drift because they're lower level. Ascent, Thundercrest, and The Nest would be a bit more challenging. It doesn't matter which side you do since they have the same general factioning quests, but if you're on the Good side, "Children of Gimblax" is ridiculously easy and fast and is their T1 Progression Mission, while "Drake Eggs" from the Evil side is about as quick but is their T2 or T3 Progression Mission.

Basically I'd see who is LFG and what they want to do, then do that.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

Here's what I encounter, okay.

I know EVERYONE lv55-65, because we've all been leveling together. Problem is, 80% of these guys are under-geared, and *new players to EQ or whatever. Basically, they suck.
So, while Im capable of PoF/WoS all day everyday - half of what I have to pull groups from - aren't.
So I'm stuck being ABLE TO make groups for these places, but they are either going to wipe, or wipe, or wipe and disband.

Now, sometimes I get lucky and the rest of us group, and the levels fly by. But really, for whatever reason there are some lovely new players on Phin in my range. I just sit there while building groups forever long and just hope to god some people I have to choose from are capable players.

You don't need to be 65 to get into PoF; they must have changed that. I was with a group of 65-70's there, and that's where I got lv60-61.

WoS I got 2 levels in! lv61-63. But again, I had good groups, which are exceedingly rare at this level.

You brightened my day by makin me realize I can do tasks, today!

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
PoF will let you gimp people in (as will most, if not all, PoP zones). For a group, that works out to 1 person out of the group. So if the rest were all 65+, that's why (or it could have been lowered, either way).

Also - since you've joined a raiding guild, don't start doing DoN tasks willy-nilly. Find out which faction they picked, and make sure you're doing tasks on that faction (good or evil).

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

Oh crap - excellent advice. Thank you thank you

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I tapped out at 55. Got tired of Grieg's End and there was a wall of powerlevelers coming up this level range and nobody wanted a tank. It's true that to get a group on phinny you pretty much have to build it yourself, but it gets very tiresome day in day out doing that. Especially when you're not 18 years old with time to burn.

Had fun tho. Just didn't make it to the finish line.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

xZAOx posted:

Also - since you've joined a raiding guild, don't start doing DoN tasks willy-nilly. Find out which faction they picked, and make sure you're doing tasks on that faction (good or evil).

Frankly this doesn't matter. For example, don't do evil if evil is already threatening or scowling to you, its simply too many tasks you'll have to do to get to being able to run missions.

The only thing it means if you're not on the same faction as your guild is that when you complete missions with them, if you don't request it, you won't get faction. Vice versa for them if you DO request it. Either way, faction is super easy once you can do missions, its a pain in the rear end when you have to do the mercenary tasks.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

Well, they said its half and half really. So it doesn't matter which side I pick.

Is there a preferable faction side for Ranger to pick?

BTW, got a perfect WoS group today, about to hit 64.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

Dennis McClaren posted:

Well, they said its half and half really. So it doesn't matter which side I pick.

Is there a preferable faction side for Ranger to pick?

BTW, got a perfect WoS group today, about to hit 64.

Con both sides. Whichever one is apprehensive, go with that one.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Hoohah posted:

Frankly this doesn't matter. For example, don't do evil if evil is already threatening or scowling to you, its simply too many tasks you'll have to do to get to being able to run missions.

The only thing it means if you're not on the same faction as your guild is that when you complete missions with them, if you don't request it, you won't get faction. Vice versa for them if you DO request it. Either way, faction is super easy once you can do missions, its a pain in the rear end when you have to do the mercenary tasks.

I think "doesn't matter" is a bit of an overstatement, especially if he has plans on actually finishing progression. We don't all run with our own entire box crew, heh.

If you want to finish progression, being able to group with guildies who need the same group missions is definitely a boost, as is being able to join in with them and get them done.

Dennis McClaren posted:

Okay well now it doesn't matter, heh.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

I'm ignorant of the whole thing. All I know is that Rosengard does have toons that do progression. On both factions. That's all I know.

For the most part of course RG is so far ahead of me, its obviously their alt's or boxes or whatever doing it, probably.

I got lv64 last night! Two levels in WoS, and all the runes I can carry.

What are these runes for, in regards to the Ranger class? I have lesser/minor, normal, and greater muramite runes.

napster of meat
Nov 12, 2000

Dennis McClaren posted:

What are these runes for, in regards to the Ranger class? I have lesser/minor, normal, and greater muramite runes.

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=2927

Ranger
66 - Displace Summoned, Shield of Briar, Nature Veil
67 - Locust Swarm, Guard of the Earth, Sylvan Water, Strength of the Hunter
68 - Hunter's Vigor, Briarcoat, Frost Wind, Tranquility of the Glade
69 - Hearth Embers, Howl of the Predator, Nature's Denial, Nature's Balance
70 - Onyx Skin (scroll is Spell: Skin of the Bear), Ward of the Hunter, Call of Lightning
Ancient - North Wind

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

xZAOx posted:

I think "doesn't matter" is a bit of an overstatement, especially if he has plans on actually finishing progression. We don't all run with our own entire box crew, heh.

If you want to finish progression, being able to group with guildies who need the same group missions is definitely a boost, as is being able to join in with them and get them done.

Okay well now it doesn't matter, heh.

At this point, 90% of people in raiding guilds, box crews or not, are done with faction. If they're running missions, they're running them for XP, and they don't give a poo poo which side you do.

Hell all of our box crews are done with raid progression, including Vish and Yar'lir, and we've only split them twice due to the holidays. DoN is not a very compelling expansion, certainly not one worth doing an extra 26 missions or solo tasks just so you can start progression.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

For regular stats, not heroic ones, is there any reason to go above 225? Isn't 225 the max beneficial limit?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
You get AAs that keep raising the cap. Once you're raiding and geared up, being over the cap is a given.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

Givin posted:

I tapped out at 55. Got tired of Grieg's End and there was a wall of powerlevelers coming up this level range and nobody wanted a tank. It's true that to get a group on phinny you pretty much have to build it yourself, but it gets very tiresome day in day out doing that. Especially when you're not 18 years old with time to burn.

Had fun tho. Just didn't make it to the finish line.

holy poo poo, is this Givin of Conquest on Lanys

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
It is, except 20 years older. Not so much full of piss and vinegar any more haha.

Givin fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jan 15, 2018

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

Dennis McClaren posted:

For regular stats, not heroic ones, is there any reason to go above 225? Isn't 225 the max beneficial limit?

Regular stats always give a very tiny amount of their primary benefit (atk from str, crit from dex, mitigation AC from agi, HP from stam, mana from wis/int), heroic or otherwise. Heroic just have a built in additional bonus at certain breakpoints (1, 10, or 25, depending on heroic)

Charisma is the only exception, because that stat really doesn't do anything at all, heroic or otherwise, above like 115. 1 heroic charisma is effectively equivalent to infinite heroic charisma.

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

How painful is this game if I just dick around f2p?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I would say pretty painful at higher levels due to capped AA, poo poo merc and not able to wear prestige (good) items.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

I hit lv65 tonight, so now I can go on raids with my guild. Reading their forums - it seems there are a ton of rules and procedures that are expected of you to know. I'm doing my best to become familiar with all of them - but I'm so far behind I feel like I'm going to gently caress up on my first raid.

I haven't been on a raid in like 10 years, although I have been on many, many raids on various MMO's. So In general, I know what's going on. But this version of Everquest and it's raiding experience is completely new to me. The last EQ raid I was on was back in Velious, before I quit.

Can someone give me some VERY general guidelines as to some basic raid behavior I should be aware of? I'm a Ranger.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Be quiet, listen to your raid leaders, don't use voice chat to ask questions (send tells, use chat channels), and if you think something is being done wrong, save it until after the raid then speak to leadership (they're too busy during the raid).

Aside from that, show up early, be wherever you should be, know how your guild does loot (and if you're not sure, again, send tells and use chat channels).

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

xZAOx posted:

Be quiet, listen to your raid leaders, don't use voice chat to ask questions (send tells, use chat channels), and if you think something is being done wrong, save it until after the raid then speak to leadership (they're too busy during the raid).

Aside from that, show up early, be wherever you should be, know how your guild does loot (and if you're not sure, again, send tells and use chat channels).

I kinda want to take this post of stamp on my forehead during raids.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I'd say the majority of people in raids mostly have no clue what they are doing. Just pay attention, ask questions (via tells/channels), and try to get better. That will make you better than half of EQ raiders these days.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Hmm looks like the server is down, I guess I'll use google to do some bard song comparis

FFS google :negative:

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

There are such things as raid windows, and special interface options for EQ today, right?

Anything specific I need to know about using Zilz UI with raids? Does anyone know the key commands to open different raid controls?

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Dennis McClaren posted:

There are such things as raid windows, and special interface options for EQ today, right?

Anything specific I need to know about using Zilz UI with raids? Does anyone know the key commands to open different raid controls?

Alt-R for raid window and alt-Z for the expedition window. Zliz UI works fine for both puf these.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
There's not really that much:

Alt + R - that's the raid window itself. Your raid might say stuff like "I need Group 4 to do blah". Open it, sort by alpha, find your name, see what group you're in.

Alt + Z - that's the expedition window. Most instanced content will give you an expedition. You can open it to see how many people are in it, and who all is in it, and if they're flagged for it. You really won't have to do much with this as just a raider. At most they make ask you to leave the expedition (if they're not kicking people for some reason). People might also refer to this as a "DZ" - Dynamic Zone.

Alt + Q - the task window. Some instanced content won't give you an expedition - instead you get an entry in the task window. Because, ya know, EQ. Right now, the only stuff that works that way are the DoN raids. CoA will be in the expedition window.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

Givin posted:

It is, except 20 years older. Not so much full of piss and vinegar any more haha.

Hey, whats up dude. I doubt you remember me at all, but I played a gnome enchanter Clearminde (didn't think Id play the character seriously, obviously) and was in Sigil for awhile and grouped with Nokk, Biwin and Rudger mostly.

I've been trying to get Rudger to play again on Agnarr, but he hasn't been up to it as of late. Have you came back to the TLP's?

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

I had a blast today. We did trials/MPG followed by Tac'vi. I got new chest/legs/face/boots/2h wpn. It's a good thing too - with DoDH coming out, I didn't want to go in and get 1 shot. I'm still only lv66.

I am enormously satisfied all the leveling has paid off, and I am so loving glad I chose to play on Phin TLP after returning from my break.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Dennis McClaren posted:

I had a blast today. We did trials/MPG followed by Tac'vi. I got new chest/legs/face/boots/2h wpn. It's a good thing too - with DoDH coming out, I didn't want to go in and get 1 shot. I'm still only lv66.

I am enormously satisfied all the leveling has paid off, and I am so loving glad I chose to play on Phin TLP after returning from my break.

Man tac'vi and MPG were a lot of fun, I really liked the simon says trial and the one where you zone in and a raid of NPCs already killed the mob so you have to kill them.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

Level 67! Three to go.

I can't find a clear answer for this anywhere, maybe someone here knows...

What's the fastest mount you can buy from the Marketplace?

What's the fastest mount you can quest for?

What's the fastest mount you can buy from Baz?

And finally, whats the fastest mount?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
EQ Mounts

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/eq:Items_Mounts