Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Internet Kraken posted:

I should of made a bigger bar.

I'm pretty sure some of these fuckers have been living in my bar for over a year without me inviting them.

Soon you'll have more than 80 non-contributing guests eternally consuming your beer and meals while complaining endlessly about the quality. Cheers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

I should of made a bigger bar.

I'm pretty sure some of these fuckers have been living in my bar for over a year without me inviting them.

You should have gone the "It's a Wonderful Life" route and let the tavern floor retract into a swimming pool.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

RedTonic posted:

Soon you'll have more than 80 non-contributing guests eternally consuming your beer and meals while complaining endlessly about the quality. Cheers!

I let about 20-25 bards stay at my fort before I realized what I was doing. Now there's a bunch of smelly humans crowding the tavern and I haven't seen a synchronized dwarf dance party in months!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Are there even any repercussions for executing your tavern patrons unceremoniously?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I'm determined to make an ice fort like I had back in the day except this time i'm going to do it without half assing it and embarking on two biomes.

Since I'm going to need water to farm and also a source of wood an early priority is to dig to the caverns and hope I find an underground lake. I could bucket brigade for my farm but that'll take a lot of time and, most importantly, likely won't end up making for a nice looking farm plot.

Is a 20-40 zlevel pump stack my best bet for getting irrigation set up? Is there anything more efficient since 2010 or so?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

Are there even any repercussions for executing your tavern patrons unceremoniously?

None I have determined but I have only bothered to kill the mislabeled "Hostiles"

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Sankis posted:

I'm determined to make an ice fort like I had back in the day except this time i'm going to do it without half assing it and embarking on two biomes.

Since I'm going to need water to farm and also a source of wood an early priority is to dig to the caverns and hope I find an underground lake. I could bucket brigade for my farm but that'll take a lot of time and, most importantly, likely won't end up making for a nice looking farm plot.

Is a 20-40 zlevel pump stack my best bet for getting irrigation set up? Is there anything more efficient since 2010 or so?

Why not just farm in the caverns? That's what I do if my embark doesn't have soil. Irrigation is usually a pain in the rear end compared to just clearing out a section of the caverns too use.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I wonder how viable it would be to turn immigration off and only increase your fort's population via citizenship petitions?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Internet Kraken posted:

Why not just farm in the caverns? That's what I do if my embark doesn't have soil. Irrigation is usually a pain in the rear end compared to just clearing out a section of the caverns too use.

Why don't you want me to make over engineered Dwarven solutions?

Honestly I didn't think of it. I suppose I could force my growers to live down there.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Angry Diplomat posted:

I wonder how viable it would be to turn immigration off and only increase your fort's population via citizenship petitions?

That's effectively what happens anyway this version if you try to build a large military instead of lots traps(and say yes to every petition). The ratio of non-dwarven civ bards and scholars grows and grows while the overwhelmingly dwarven military dies a death by a thousand cuts thanks to the armor bug.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I realized quick to deny every petition from bards unless they had some novelty factor (weasel man poet!). Cause otherwise you end up with tons of useless fucks that just sit around being worthless.

Sankis posted:

Because I find setting up pump stacks to be excruciatingly painful.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Angry Diplomat posted:

hope the game makes a crossover from unavoidable Migrant Sieges to just a trickle of migrants that you can turn down in your tavern if you want.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Watch out for the new verison of dfhack, it's dramatically increased the number of crashes I've had, to the point where it's difficult to even just play the game.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Sankis posted:

Honestly I didn't think of it. I suppose I could force my growers to live down there.

:shrug:

liquid pump stacks aren't really over-engineering, they're just long and boring to set up

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Maarak posted:

That's effectively what happens anyway this version if you try to build a large military instead of lots traps(and say yes to every petition). The ratio of non-dwarven civ bards and scholars grows and grows while the overwhelmingly dwarven military dies a death by a thousand cuts thanks to the armor bug.

I just accept all the soldiering petitions and I've got 3 full squads of humans led by a dwarf captain to do the heavy lifting.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Excelzior posted:

:shrug:

liquid pump stacks aren't really over-engineering, they're just long and boring to set up

Yeah. I don't think I thought through how tedious setting up 20 z levels would be. My bad.

Edit: Has anyone generated a 300+ year world that didn't have the elves completely conquered?

Edit 2: How do people deal with werebeasts? In the first year if I get any it may as well be game over.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Dec 12, 2015

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

The obvious but lame answer to werebeasts is to bar the gates and wait for it to turn human and run away. Marksdwarves or hunters should also be able to shoot its rear end before it can bite anyone. Like everything else in the game, a corridor of traps will completely nullify the threat, but don't do that.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I don't think there's anything you can really do about them if one shows up early. Even if you embarked with tons of gear for your military, with only a few soldiers someone is basically guaranteed to get bitten before it goes down. The smart thing to do would be to play it safe and wall off your fortress. Get the caravans to kill it without exposing your dwarves. Of course once you have a real fort going some dwarves being bitten isn't the end of the world. You just need to execute/isolate them before the next full moon.

My current world is in the year 1020 and the all the races are kicking, though I generate large regions so its pretty much impossible for anything to die out. I haven't gotten any goblin sieges or thieves though. Only goblins I've seen have been friendly. Come to think of it I haven't seen any mega beasts either which is lame.

EDIT: I don't think inexperienced archers will be able to kill it before it can get into melee range. I'm pretty sure they don't feel pain, so unless you cripple all their legs they are going to keep on going until a lucky shot blows their head off.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Internet Kraken posted:

Taverns are pretty drat cool. I set one up and after sprucing it up, its pretty much constantly full. I guess people really like watching the duo act of the human dancer and weasel man poet. More importantly though its giving me free soldiers. I've had a steady stream of dwarves apply for mercenary work in my fort now, so my militia isn't completely useless. A goblin even decided to join which surprised me. I guess they're not all so evil :buddy:

So how do you accept petitions? Does a screen come up or something? I haven't figured it out yet.

Also how do you get Monster Slayers and soldiers to show up? I've got a cavern that needs cleansing. :getin:

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
When there's petitions, there's a notice at the top of the screen and you hit 'P' to bring up the page for accepting/rejecting.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Sankis posted:

Yeah. I don't think I thought through how tedious setting up 20 z levels would be. My bad.
I don't understand peoples insistence on having horizontally laid out fortresses. A 20 z level climb is, pathing-wise, the same as a walk down a short corridor. Just set up your stuff down there. Unless you are using the liquids for offence or defence, there is no need to pump them far from the source.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I usually do an even mix of vertical and horizontal but I imagine a lot of people like flat fortresses because you can see more of it at once.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Pickled Tink posted:

I don't understand peoples insistence on having horizontally laid out fortresses.

Because, sadly, Toady hasn't yet implemented vertically-laid out screens

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm afraid to use huge stacks of up/down stairs because I don't understand how dwarves can fight on them without falling down them all and dieing.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Is it possible to see the details of performances in fort mode, or is that just for adventurers?

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

I'm using the latest version of the windows LNP, and every time I hit ALT + A to set up autolabours it crashes dfhack and DF :(

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Wait, what? PeridexisErrant went ahead and released a pack using the 42.02-r0 bubblegum-and-scotch-tape pre-release mess? I plonk those in this thread just as a curiosity.

Really, I wouldn't expect any sort of functionality beyond stuff like prospect, reveal and minor GUI crap yet. Cranking up systems like workflow right now is just asking for trouble.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
Yeah, I used exterminate to solve a bug and then immediately had to delete DFHack again because the game would invariably crash after 30 seconds. At least Dwarf Therapist is largely usable, even if non-dwarf residents are only listed as animal.

Tenebrais posted:

Is it possible to see the details of performances in fort mode, or is that just for adventurers?

You can now hit enter when looking at a dwarf with v to bring up details of his current job, including extensive descriptions of performances they are holding or listening to.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Mygna posted:

You can now hit enter when looking at a dwarf with v to bring up details of his current job, including extensive descriptions of performances they are holding or listening to.

Sweet. Looks like that only applies to residents, which would be why I hadn't found it (all the performances were being done by visitors).

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Sankis posted:

Edit: Has anyone generated a 300+ year world that didn't have the elves completely conquered?

Edit 2: How do people deal with werebeasts? In the first year if I get any it may as well be game over.

I disable them in worldgen, they aren't very fun and there's no real way to manage the resulting chaos

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
If the king of your civ dies, who takes over the role? Is someone just elected to the position? I ask because the current king doesn't, and won't, have an heir. Also, do widowed dwarves remarry?

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

RedTonic posted:

If the king of your civ dies, who takes over the role? Is someone just elected to the position? I ask because the current king doesn't, and won't, have an heir. Also, do widowed dwarves remarry?

I think there's a line of succession even without direct heirs, but I'm not 100%.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Solid Poopsnake posted:

I think there's a line of succession even without direct heirs, but I'm not 100%.

I guess we had better murder some kings.

To be sure.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
At some point someone made a tree mod (just changing the raws) that made trees only show up in biomes that were appropriate for them. Is that still around?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

RedTonic posted:

I believe if there are no related heirs the successor is picked at random.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Our queen has been trying to help with the 100 z-levels long pumpstack. Unfortunately she's lost a goddamn component for the last 20 levels and caused construction to be cancelled. :argh:

e: Also, there was some sort of odd glitch - one moment I had a gay king who really liked billon, then I got a straight king who's into magnetite. Weird bug?

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Tenebrais posted:

Sweet. Looks like that only applies to residents, which would be why I hadn't found it (all the performances were being done by visitors).

To see the details of a visitor's performance, go to the "others" tab on the unit screen, highlight the performing creature, and hit "j".

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

RedTonic posted:

e: Also, there was some sort of odd glitch - one moment I had a gay king who really liked billon, then I got a straight king who's into magnetite. Weird bug?

Its just a phase he's going through.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

A Dwarven Immigration Office would be pretty cool.

"Haha, great fortress in need of Soap Maker, yes?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

:frog: posted:

Here's another release which cleans up various outstanding issues.

Major bug fixes
  • Fixed world generation crash from wandering artist writing a book
  • Fixed crash from retiring locations in certain circumstances
  • Fixed crash associated to adventurer sleeping in inn rooms
  • Fixed issue with militia not picking up armor
  • Fixed error causing some instruments in chests to not be played
  • Fixed error causing instruments and drink service to fail in dining rooms
  • Fixed error causing scribes not to use some blank writing materials
  • Fixed error causing overall scribe operation to be stalled by a bad target codex
  • Made training marksdwarves want both combat and training ammunition and fetch stacks appropriately (thanks to ag for analyzing this one)
  • Fixed issue with starting instrument causing it to duplicate
  • Fixed one way for horses to become playable (not sure about dogs/donkeys)
  • Stopped dead/caged commanders from stopping invaders from moving (thanks to vjek for preparing a very useful and funny save)
  • Stopped cats from dying of alcohol poisoning after walking over damp tavern floors and cleaning themselves (reduced effect)
  • Put new caps in place on animals in towns during world generation
  • Stopped bookbinders and string makers from trying to use loose spider webs (thanks to Knight Otu for reminded me about raw tag)

Other bug fixes/tweaks
  • Made the add new task list remember where it was again
  • Tweaked how distance is calculated for certain jobs
  • Stopped certain ramp/channel digging jobs from temporarily disturbing pathing and distance calculations (thanks to Loci for reproducible procedure)
  • Made edible seed-type growths gatherable
  • Stopped wander history spam for adventurer
  • Stopped nobles from other civilizations from making mandates and demands
  • Stopped weapon slayer list from giving away fort vampires
  • Handled some basic shaped conflicts with clothing vs. armor
  • Changed how owned objects are managed with clothing -- might be some trinket drops in old saves
  • Allowed goblets on embark
  • Made modded wood furnace reactions list properly
  • Fixed typo with untitled written content
  • Fixed typo in haunting conversation
  • Fixed several typos in personality/value strings
  • Fixed instrument values in old saves

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 12, 2015