Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

RentACop posted:

Theory that OJ's son was the real killer

lmao yeah ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I was mostly posting in jest, because it's something proposed by the "skeptic" on the Alien Autopsy movie

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

A White Guy posted:

Oh good lord. Now I support rape culture and men's right for daring to believe that maybe a thing that was supposed to happen, might not have happened. I guess I had better subscribe to Sargon or god forbid, Aurini and start regurgitating sexist/racist things verbatim onto my friends.

We may reasonably suppose that the first six civilizations were founded by high IQ peoples. Their homelands are now all occupied by low IQ peoples, as for example Egypt and the Indus Valley. And any smart people currently in the vicinity of the Indus valley are descended from foreign invaders who conquered a low IQ population that had lost or was losing the capability to operate cities and irrigation.

The Maya created writing and the positional number system, and used it to accurately predict the motions of the moon and sun. Their descendents were for the most part homeless nomads, their largest city being two hundred mud huts. Their great cities were abandoned, even when they commanded key resources. The descendants of the Maya are obviously incapable of operating a great civilization, indeed, without white rule, could not even have cities, or political units larger than tiny tribes with poorly defined territories. They wound up running naked through the jungle with pointy sticks to the extent that they had any jungle.

You would think that positive eugenics is natural in a civilization. The smartest people get to the top, command and effectively utilize all the good stuff, so have more surviving children. And sometimes it does work like that.

But if the smart people are the ruling and fertile people, they will proceed to ensure that their smart children get all the top jobs. This will disturb the topmost rulers, who would like to have limitless freedom to appoint obedient people to the good jobs, regardless of ability, and more importantly, regardless of family. In particular, they would like the freedom to not appoint the sons of powerful rival families. If you have a bunch of fertile smart industrious men inserting their kids into the top jobs, then you wind up with aristocratic or semi aristocratic system. The Bishop is succeeded by the Bishop’s son, which bothers the pope no end. The colonel is succeeded by the colonel’s son, which bothers the general, which bothers the King. One drastic solution, popular in China, is to give the top jobs to eunuchs. You want a top job, have to give up your man parts. Note the striking similarity with today’s political correctness, which requires metaphorical castration of males, and prefers literal castration of males.

Affirmative action for women makes a lot more sense when we recall that working women, unlike working males, do not reproduce, therefore will not be succeeded by their children. If you are a ruler, able (aristos) fertile patriarchal families are a problem, working women and eunuchs are the solution. And if the very smartest women are not all that bright, all the better, will be less capable of plotting against you. So the smartest females do not reproduce. Even if working women are substantially less productive than working men, working men are threat, working women are not a threat. Similarly any measures to prevent the affluent white male children of affluent white males from getting ahead. Such measures are rationalized in the name of social justice, but such measures give the most powerful more power.

From the point of view of the emperor, eunuchs are a better solution than working women, since eunuchs are substantially smarter than women, and have zero offspring, not merely near zero offspring.

A system of rule by the best (aristos) will, if the best are fertile, tend to become hereditary or semi hereditary. Thus patriarchy plus meritocracy will give rise to aristocracy, because affluent patriarchs have numerous sons, the meritocrats start running the system as a job placement program for their numerous sons, and the Pope will not be happy. Conversely, when the King tries to do stuff to make it less hereditary, he is apt to make the best less fertile.

One would suppose the mandarinate to be eugenic, and indeed China, unlike other civilizations, has not become a low IQ wasteland. But mandarin exam was corrupted to select for grinds rather than smarts. Any test can be gamed. The more that scoring high in the test matters, the less predictive of accomplishment it is. Thus selecting people on the accomplishments of their family and recent ancestors is apt to produce more accurate predictions than over reliance on an examination system. If the outcome of an IQ test has little direct effect on your career, it will accurately predict accomplishment. If you hand out nice jobs on the basis of an IQ test, considerably less so. If nice jobs are handed out on the basis of the test, the test is apt to become a marathon of rote memorization, which is what happened with the Chinese mandarinate exam. But for obvious reasons, emperors were unenthusiastic about handing out nice jobs on the basis of family accomplishment, for accomplished families are rivals.

Fertility in our civilization is of course massively dysgenic, because women are artificially placed in the workforce and education, with the most able women being most forcefully helicoptered into courses and jobs far beyond their ability.

As “Smart and Sexy” demonstrates, our mandarinate exam (the SAT and LSAT) has been jiggered to avoid selecting too heavily for ability. If, however, our mandarinate exam was fixed as proposed in “Smart and Sexy”, and if we had patriarchy, our civilization, like the Chinese, could avoid becoming a desolate wasteland of low IQ savages running through the woods with sharp sticks. And it would not be hard to make our mandarinate exam better than the traditional Chinese mandarinate exam.

The Chinese communist party currently selects on test results, on family accomplishment, and on individual accomplishment. This is likely to give substantially better results than the traditional Chinese mandarinate exam. Unfortunately they also are affirmative actioning women, probably for the same reasons we are, and this is producing significant dysgenesis in China.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Lottery of Babylon posted:

We may reasonably suppose that the first six civilizations were founded by high IQ peoples. Their homelands are now all occupied by low IQ peoples, as for example Egypt and the Indus Valley. And any smart people currently in the vicinity of the Indus valley are descended from foreign invaders who conquered a low IQ population that had lost or was losing the capability to operate cities and irrigation.

The Maya created writing and the positional number system, and used it to accurately predict the motions of the moon and sun. Their descendents were for the most part homeless nomads, their largest city being two hundred mud huts. Their great cities were abandoned, even when they commanded key resources. The descendants of the Maya are obviously incapable of operating a great civilization, indeed, without white rule, could not even have cities, or political units larger than tiny tribes with poorly defined territories. They wound up running naked through the jungle with pointy sticks to the extent that they had any jungle.

Oh man, that's some old-school racism.

I hope he brings up the Three Races of Noah next :allears:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Didn't the epitome of civilization Romans at the time think all the (traditionally what we'd consider) white people to the north of them were basically barbaric savages who needed their rule to function civilly too?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Yes, and the Romans were equally full of poo poo about us, too.

In fact considering the horrific atrocities routinely perpetrated by Roman armies, I'd say they were the real barbarians. :v:

some FUCKING LIAR
Sep 19, 2002

Fallen Rib

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Didn't the epitome of civilization Romans at the time think all the (traditionally what we'd consider) white people to the north of them were basically barbaric savages who needed their rule to function civilly too?

Yes, and the main original source on that subject, Tacitus' Germania contains the same kind of noble savage bullshit that white Americans would later say about Native Americans, to an uncanny degree. It's a fun read. Also fun is A Most Dangerous Book: Tacitus's Germania from the Roman Empire to the Third Reich https://www.amazon.com/dp/0393342921/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_GSAVxbRPTZH53

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

some loving LIAR posted:

Yes, and the main original source on that subject, Tacitus' Germania contains the same kind of noble savage bullshit that white Americans would later say about Native Americans, to an uncanny degree. It's a fun read. Also fun is A Most Dangerous Book: Tacitus's Germania from the Roman Empire to the Third Reich https://www.amazon.com/dp/0393342921/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_GSAVxbRPTZH53

Customers who bought this item also bought https://www.amazon.com/Becoming-Barbarian-Jack-Donovan/dp/0985452358/ref=pd_sim_14_7?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=Y8C1R2NV0FDQQ0NTSMHH

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
If I had a lot of free time, I'd dig up Roman writings about other cultures - like, say, Carthage and Egypt - and compile a list of quotes contrasting those to their writings about the German barbarians.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

pookel posted:

If I had a lot of free time, I'd dig up Roman writings about other cultures - like, say, Carthage and Egypt - and compile a list of quotes contrasting those to their writings about the German barbarians.

No you see clearly in the past all the great civilizations were run by genetically pure smart people and the unwashed idiot masses eventually out-bred and overwhelmed them

Just like in idiocracy

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

No you see clearly in the past all the great civilizations were run by genetically pure smart people and the unwashed idiot masses eventually out-bred and overwhelmed them

Just like in idiocracy

*puts on fedora and says goonishly* you mean that documentary about the USA in 2016?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
A wild on-topic news item appears! Two! From The Baffler:

* Elon Musk and the implications of what he means by the simulation hypothesis. Fails to go as far as Roko's basilisk, but oh well.

* Peter Thiel, because he's never not on topic here.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

divabot posted:

A wild on-topic news item appears! Two! From The Baffler:

* Elon Musk and the implications of what he means by the simulation hypothesis. Fails to go as far as Roko's basilisk, but oh well.

* Peter Thiel, because he's never not on topic here.

What's funny is that the Right-Wing Media thread completely bought Peter Thiel's morality spiel.

some FUCKING LIAR
Sep 19, 2002

Fallen Rib

Sure, but can the people who bought this actually read?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Leslie Jones got doxxed and hacked, because furious internet pantshitters cannot let Ghostbusters go, even after it flopped

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Leslie Jones got doxxed and hacked, because furious internet pantshitters cannot let Ghostbusters go, even after it flopped

I think it's also about the part she played in Milo's banning from twitter, but either way they are gross and I hope Clinton's speech on the alt-right tomorrow sends them into a pantsshitting fury.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Scott better hope no one asks him his opinion about it, because the ensuing handwringing might actually break his wrists

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

divabot posted:

Bill Nye's takedown of the simulation hypothesis is masterful. "Even if it's possible to prove and, given a proof, even if it's possible to know what's going on outside, what prevents that from being another simulation layer? There's never going to be a reality that can't be simulated with a sufficiently sophisticated simulator." The simulation hypothesis is fundamentally worthless, because it can never be disproven. And these rich fuckers are falling for it.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Somfin posted:

Bill Nye's takedown of the simulation hypothesis is masterful. "Even if it's possible to prove and, given a proof, even if it's possible to know what's going on outside, what prevents that from being another simulation layer? There's never going to be a reality that can't be simulated with a sufficiently sophisticated simulator." The simulation hypothesis is fundamentally worthless, because it can never be disproven. And these rich fuckers are falling for it.

I looked but could not find the Robin Hanson quote on how poor people's lives weren't very interesting, so you wouldn't need to simulate them in as high fidelity.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

divabot posted:

I looked but could not find the Robin Hanson quote on how poor people's lives weren't very interesting, so you wouldn't need to simulate them in as high fidelity.

That is the single most stupid thing I've read all week and I read a thread in which people shitpost about Donald Trump.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

MC Nietzche posted:

Clinton's speech on the alt-right

What is this and where can I watch it haha

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

McGlockenshire posted:

That is the single most stupid thing I've read all week and I read a thread in which people shitpost about Donald Trump.

And yet somehow still less of a monstrous thing to say than Eliezer's "NPC" comment

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Somfin posted:

There was some moderately interesting science a while back looking for the tiny little rounding errors that would be present in spacetime if it were being run on a machine that itself followed the same rules as our universe (which is a reasonable assumption but obviously not a given) and while they didn't find any they at least approached it rather objectively from an actual science standpoint instead of a dumb tech nerd standpoint

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

McGlockenshire posted:

What if in The Matrix the machines were only simulating a tiny handful of reasonably content but bored white middle class people and all the pain and suffering in the world was made up to make it feel ~real~ :aaaaa:

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

What is this and where can I watch it haha

Coming tomorrow. I'll post a link to the live stream if there is one.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

divabot posted:

One of my favorite punching bags, Orion's Arm, actually included this as part of their lovely universe, where in "virches" (basically people literally living as data inside computers with no physical existence), you have to buy CPU cycles to think and act and simulate yourself with, because capitalism must exist in a world with superabundance and AIs that are one step away from literally being YHWH because the project was proto-NRx years before the movement itself even existed.

Note that they actually provided an escape hatch from dog-eat-dog capitalism or feudalism (the setting seems fond of both, as well as slave economies in the form of "domestics" and similar sapient chattel), in the "Utopia Sphere" where there is no competition or money...but also absolutely zero agency because your AI "benefactors" there exert even more total control than usual and you're little more than a pet allowed to think, do, have, and use only the things that they want you to. Your local habitat's controller decides your society should be "prims" so it can be amused by the quaint Stone Age lifestyle forced on you and you want textiles and permanent houses and medicine? Tough luck, monkey. He'll literally remove those troubling thoughts from your brain.

Woolie Wool has a new favorite as of 23:53 on Aug 24, 2016

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)

Silver2195 posted:

To be fair, the prosecutor has to convince 12 people beyond a reasonable doubt. The standard of proof necessary to be uncomfortable with seeing a movie someone made is rather lower.

"He probably did it" and "he should have been convicted" are two different things.

This, plus prosecutors can fail to present relevant evidence for various reasons (e.g., some of it may be inadmissible).

There's an interesting debate lurking beneath the surface. In some jurisdictions (France comes to mind) the "presumption of innocence" is so strong that it's not permissible for journalists to refer to an accused criminal as a criminal: the tarring of the accused's reputation is considered to be a harm associated with bringing charges in the first place. Here, people seem to distinguish between "guilt before the law" and "guilt in the court of public opinion". Either one can differ from factual guilt. You're right that there's no conflict between "when a girl claims she was raped, you should pretty much take her word for it" and "accused rapists are, before the law, innocent until proven guilty."

Also whoa, Vox Day is a legit racist shitbag? Huh, I only remember his blog for his terrible and wrong opinions about evolution (read any of them, they are Dunning-Kruger made manifest).

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Aschlafly posted:

Also whoa, Vox Day is a legit racist shitbag? Huh, I only remember his blog for his terrible and wrong opinions about evolution (read any of them, they are Dunning-Kruger made manifest).

He literally comes up with new forms of scientific racism. This bit about the Denisovan influence on society. It's just science you know, even though we've only known Denisovans even existed for six years.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

And yet somehow still less of a monstrous thing to say than Eliezer's "NPC" comment

You'd almost think they were much the same thing.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Aschlafly posted:

This, plus prosecutors can fail to present relevant evidence for various reasons (e.g., some of it may be inadmissible).

There's an interesting debate lurking beneath the surface. In some jurisdictions (France comes to mind) the "presumption of innocence" is so strong that it's not permissible for journalists to refer to an accused criminal as a criminal: the tarring of the accused's reputation is considered to be a harm associated with bringing charges in the first place. Here, people seem to distinguish between "guilt before the law" and "guilt in the court of public opinion". Either one can differ from factual guilt. You're right that there's no conflict between "when a girl claims she was raped, you should pretty much take her word for it" and "accused rapists are, before the law, innocent until proven guilty."

Vox Day is not just a rape apologist, he is an ardent rape supporter. He's a garbage creature and should die in a ditch.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Since we're on Vox Day, from this RationalWiki summation of the Puppies bullshit on his RW entry:

RationalWiki posted:

Starting in 2013, science fiction writers Larry Correia[wp] and later, Brad Torgersen[wp], have sought to nominate right-wing writers in a coordinated slate for the Hugos, using the handle "Sad Puppies" for their campaign. Their first year slate was ineffective; their second slate managed to get a couple of its nominations shortlisted. The stated goal of "Sad Puppies" was to make the Hugo Awards safe for old-time pulp fiction and space opera, and repel perceived inroads of the value system of literary fiction.[52] Their own declarations also suggested, however, a degree of annoyance with science fiction that addressed race and gender issues.[53] At one point, Torgersen literally said he was upset he could no longer judge a science fiction book by its cover.
Torgersen's statement is hilarious when you take into account that "classic" sci-fi novel covers were imposed on books by the publishing companies and often wildly inappropriate to the books, hated by the authors, and generally atrocious besides.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Small Frozen Thing posted:

Vox Day is not just a rape apologist, he is an ardent rape supporter. He's a garbage creature and should die in a ditch.

I personally think he should die in front of a wall

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

I personally think he should die in front of a wall

Dig a ditch in front of the wall, satisfy both sides?

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Antivehicular posted:

Dig a ditch in front of the wall, satisfy both sides?

That would work as long as it still ironically references Stalinism

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)

divabot posted:

He literally comes up with new forms of scientific racism. This bit about the Denisovan influence on society. It's just science you know, even though we've only known Denisovans even existed for six years.

It's almost as though he has no conception of the fact that "species" boundaries are often fluid and blurry, or the fact that intelligence is due to a large number of loci of weak effect, or the limited effect "race" has on the average person's genome (a lot of genetic variation is very poorly explained by geography), or the fact that there's no reason to expect selection for intelligence to be wildly different in strength among different environments, or gently caress me why does anyone take these blowhards' opinions on biology seriously?

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Aschlafly posted:

It's almost as though he has no conception of the fact that "species" boundaries are often fluid and blurry, or the fact that intelligence is due to a large number of loci of weak effect, or the limited effect "race" has on the average person's genome (a lot of genetic variation is very poorly explained by geography), or the fact that there's no reason to expect selection for intelligence to be wildly different in strength among different environments, or gently caress me why does anyone take these blowhards' opinions on biology seriously?

Yeah, you shouldn't but people do because they are indeed white

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Yeah, you shouldn't but people do because they are indeed white

I really get the feeling that the majority of people who "believe" this stuff (and don't make it up themselves) are the kind of semi-smart science adjacent people who like to think they're good at sciencey things because they read Wired or occasionally look up the word "brain" on wikipedia to see what exciting new edits have been made. Of course it also helps if you have Bad Opinions that these seemingly validate too.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Woolie Wool posted:

Since we're on Vox Day, from this RationalWiki summation of the Puppies bullshit on his RW entry:

Torgersen's statement is hilarious when you take into account that "classic" sci-fi novel covers were imposed on books by the publishing companies and often wildly inappropriate to the books, hated by the authors, and generally atrocious besides.

loving yes. I posted the rant here. That statement made it blindingly obvious Torgersen hadn't bought a book any time in the seventies or early eighties, or a second-hand one from the sixties.

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx
For this interested Hillary's speech on the alt right should be live streamed here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHAlX9a_dfA

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I dunno, I don't feel like @DinduNuffin88420 needed the attention

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010
On the topic of simulation hypothesis: I met a Rationalist who said he tried his best to spend his life around influencers and great men. If outsiders are simulating this world to observe it, at some point they might turn off the boring parts of the simulation to save processing power, so he wanted to be in the interesting part.