Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

a shameful boehner posted:

So uhhhhh my experimental Arbalest/Highwayman/Houndmaster/Abomination party didnt go so well :stonk:

Were you transforming the Abomination every fight? Because that's super not necessary, his human form is extremely good from the second or third rows. AR/HW/AB/HM sounds like a solid team, AB and HM can keep everything stunned while the AR and HW murder the biggest threats from back to front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Honestly, with those characters I might try putting the highwayman in front, i preferred having hound's rush as an option for my HMs, even though it's not the best. I know the melee skills (especially duelist's advance) have been buffed, but maybe wicked slice is still not good enough for a front row dude. Maybe even the abom in third if you want blackjack on the hound master.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Yeah, seems legit to me too. I will on occasion leave the abomination in 1st rank, let him tank hits and self-heal, but only if I literally cannot find any other option. He's so much better in 2nd rank, horking blight and chaining fools left and right

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Cool, thanks for the tips. I'm still learning the ins and outs of party positioning.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

FreeKillB posted:

Honestly, with those characters I might try putting the highwayman in front, i preferred having hound's rush as an option for my HMs, even though it's not the best. I know the melee skills (especially duelist's advance) have been buffed, but maybe wicked slice is still not good enough for a front row dude. Maybe even the abom in third if you want blackjack on the hound master.

Duelist's advance, PBS, over and over and over. That's all I need to know about the highwayman. I like to keep my Highwayman in the 2nd slot, that way his first action sets up his riposte ability. Although I suggest a set of surgical gloves for that particular approach, as the Riposte ability doesn't have good accuracy.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Apr 1, 2016

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Surgical gloves? I don't think I've ever seen those show up. Are they rare, or did I just beat the odds in the wrong direction?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Rangpur posted:

Surgical gloves? I don't think I've ever seen those show up. Are they rare, or did I just beat the odds in the wrong direction?

Uncommon.

Notbuckethead
Jan 27, 2009

Quack.:smug:
I've been playing this game for a while but I'm having massive difficulty surviving any mission at the veteran level. Fully upgraded lvl3s are getting torn down way easier than I'd expect. I don't think my team comps are terrible but neither are my trinket choices. The difference between apprentice and vet seems really big.

Any advice on getting through vet missions?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

It's hard to help without knowing what specifically is giving you trouble, but I can give some general advice. The game gets significantly harder each time you move up to a new tier of dungeon, mainly by punishing your mistakes more severely. At Veteran level you need to be able to control the fight, and deny actions to the enemies that pose the greatest threat.

Let's take an example fight in the Ruins: Cult Brawler / Bone Soldier / Cult Acolyte / Bone Courtier

Your first priority is getting rid of the stress dealers, the Acolyte and the Courtier, because stress is harder to heal than health and costs you precious gold if you can't keep it under control. Of the two, the Acolyte is the priority because at Veteran, Stressful Incantation also marks the target, which will let the Brawler tear them a new rear end in a top hat. So, on your first turn, you want to deny the Acolyte and the Courtier their actions if at all possible. If you have a Plague Doc, that's easy, just stun bomb the back rows. Otherwise you need a stun that at least reaches the third row, and a good way to kill the last row, or vice-versa. Anyone who can't reach the back rows should do whatever they can to deny turns to the front rows, either through stuns or other means. Doing non-lethal damage is your lowest priority, ALWAYS take the action that will mean less actions from your foes.

If you get to surprise them or if you get lucky with your turn order, then the Acolyte and Courtier should be either dead or stunned by the end of the first turn, and completely gone by the end of the second. If the Acolyte went first and marked someone, you have the additional priority of stunning (or shuffling to the back, or killing) the Brawler before he can rip your marked person open. The Brawler on his own is probably the lowest threat, because he doesn't hit too hard and his bleeds don't last long. The Soldier is actually the better target of the two because he can do more raw damage and is easier to kill if you have a Crusader or bonuses against unholy. Once the Acolyte and Courtier are gone, you can kill the Soldier and lock down the Brawler for a turn or two to heal back the worst of the damage you took. Don't heal while enemies can still pose a threat... a Vestal can deny an enemy their turn with her stun or by finishing off a wounded target, whereas if she heals with that turn there's a good chance the target will do more damage afterwards.

Those are the basics of target priority. Kill stress dealers and buffers/debuffers first, focus on denying enemy actions through stuns and lethal attacks rather than just doing damage, and don't bother with healing until your team is safe. On average you should be ending each fight only a few points worse for wear than you started... once you get more experienced, you should be ending most fights in better shape than you started. This is important because there will always be fights that get away from you and gently caress someone up hard, and the better shape you are to begin with, the less likely it is that those bad fights will cost you a character or the mission.

If there are specific enemies or fights you're having trouble with, let us know. The big thing Veteran does is introduce a new set of enemies, and most of them are really nasty until you learn how they work.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Cool, thanks for the tips. I'm still learning the ins and outs of party positioning.

Yeah, me too. I'm a slow type, but I feel like I'm getting the hang of it at last.

As said, you can easily complete a quest without transforming, so you may want to abstain from it. However, if your party stress level is not critical and you're losing a fight, he can definitely turn it around. Rake and Rage with upgraded weapons are brutal

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I still can't get over how well the Abomination works. I really like that he's actually perfectly fine in human mode but that he gives you a nice, meaningful decision about when to go full wolf-goat on guys.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I killed my first Necromancer's Apprentice last night using an AR/HW/AB/MA :haw:

Man-at-Arms is pretty sweet, with a couple trinkets I got mine up to ~13 dodge, then used Bolster. The Arbalest's bandage ability was the only thing keeping the group alive. I transformed the Abom and immediately critted for 17 on two of the summoned skeletons.

It looks like the dungeons "level up" over time, do the heroes you recruit from the wagon eventually start at a higher level as well? Otherwise, how do you deal with eventual attrition of your best party when all the dungeons are maxed and your low-levels can't compete in them? Or is the expectation that you'd always have at least a few higher level characters to shepherd them along?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

It looks like the dungeons "level up" over time, do the heroes you recruit from the wagon eventually start at a higher level as well? Otherwise, how do you deal with eventual attrition of your best party when all the dungeons are maxed and your low-levels can't compete in them? Or is the expectation that you'd always have at least a few higher level characters to shepherd them along?

Dungeons don't really level up, the meter just represents how far you are towards unlocking the next boss. Apprentice-level dungeons will always be the same difficulty in a given dungeon, no matter what the number on that little meter is. At least, apprentice level dungeons will always be randomly generated in the same way. The RNG can absolutely draw you a monster of a dungeon if it feels like it.

And yes, you can upgrade the wagon to bring higher-level heroes, and it's a good idea to do so. I don't have a particular strategy for what to upgrade first, but I feel like the blacksmith, the guild, the wagon, and the sanitarium are the most important, in that order.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Dungeon generation is roughly proportional to your roster. So if most of your crew is Veteran, most of the dungeons will be Veteran. Post-endgame my dungeons are like 8 Champion, 2 Veteran, 1 Apprentice. The exception is that there is always one short Apprentice dungeon available to send a fresh group off the stagecoach through.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
ah, got it. I noticed that the number of apprentice dungeons I had to select was diminishing and was worried I might be loving myself out of leveling up a new crew after the fresh Leper I pulled bit it on Death's Door after resisting 7 times in a row.

Also holy poo poo those pig zombies in the Weald that use that Vomit attack. My Witch Doctor (natch) has more diseases than the CDC. After that run I immediately dumped a bunch of resources into getting two slots in the Medical Ward. :saddowns:

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

A.o.D. posted:

Duelist's advance, PBS, over and over and over. That's all I need to know about the highwayman. I like to keep my Highwayman in the 2nd slot, that way his first action sets up his riposte ability. Although I suggest a set of surgical gloves for that particular approach, as the Riposte ability doesn't have good accuracy.
I love PBS but I feel it has been eclipsed in usefulness now that Wicked Slice is buffed. If you're using some setup like Surgical Gloves and Sharpening Sheath you can buff with Unparalleled Finesse and have an absurd melee crit rate from which PBS does not benefit. DA early in the fight to hit the back row and use WS to fish for buffed melee crits, which will be competitive.

I might still take PBS for moving back but I'd rather take someone who can push the Highwayman back like a Grave Robber or Man-at-Arms and just use Wicked Slice once the back is down. WS isn't bound to attacking slot 1 either, and can be launched from the 3rd slot, so it seems more versatile to me.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Nakar posted:

I love PBS but I feel it has been eclipsed in usefulness now that Wicked Slice is buffed. If you're using some setup like Surgical Gloves and Sharpening Sheath you can buff with Unparalleled Finesse and have an absurd melee crit rate from which PBS does not benefit. DA early in the fight to hit the back row and use WS to fish for buffed melee crits, which will be competitive.

I might still take PBS for moving back but I'd rather take someone who can push the Highwayman back like a Grave Robber or Man-at-Arms and just use Wicked Slice once the back is down. WS isn't bound to attacking slot 1 either, and can be launched from the 3rd slot, so it seems more versatile to me.

If you're just sticking to the third row, of course wicked slice is better, but Duelist's advance+ riposte is a significant part of my Highwayman strategy, and if you can get multiple riposte activations, the damage per turn and overall number of crits (but not the actual crit rate) are a bit higher. The big downside is that it makes the highwayman one your tanks. +dodge is pretty important if you want to use riposte.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

ah, got it. I noticed that the number of apprentice dungeons I had to select was diminishing and was worried I might be loving myself out of leveling up a new crew after the fresh Leper I pulled bit it on Death's Door after resisting 7 times in a row.

Also holy poo poo those pig zombies in the Weald that use that Vomit attack. My Witch Doctor (natch) has more diseases than the CDC. After that run I immediately dumped a bunch of resources into getting two slots in the Medical Ward. :saddowns:

a little late to help but the Plague Doctor has a ton of camp skills based around removing diseases for free, both from herself and the rest of the party

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

paranoid randroid posted:

a little late to help but the Plague Doctor has a ton of camp skills based around removing diseases for free, both from herself and the rest of the party

Grave Robbers as well.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
damnit

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Hey, it's your first playthrough, don't worry about getting things at 100% efficiency immediately. I put a lot of early resources into the Tavern and around the time I had it ~1 upgrade level from full I started realizing that I didn't want to use it because of the trinket loss capabilities.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

A.o.D. posted:

If you're just sticking to the third row, of course wicked slice is better, but Duelist's advance+ riposte is a significant part of my Highwayman strategy, and if you can get multiple riposte activations, the damage per turn and overall number of crits (but not the actual crit rate) are a bit higher. The big downside is that it makes the highwayman one your tanks. +dodge is pretty important if you want to use riposte.
You can DA from anywhere but the first slot though, and DA is only a Forward 1. You could easily start the Highwayman off in slot 3 and DA twice and by that point you should have the back row dealt with. You only need PBS if the Highwayman is either starting in slot 1, which I don't see as being as useful anymore as opening with DA to set the riposte and then PBSing turn 2, or if he's going to DA right away and then has no means of DAing again unless he uses PBS to push himself back.

It's definitely a good idea to DA on the first turn and possibly the first two turns depending on how quickly the back gets killed off, but there are multiple ways to ensure that happens without PBS. I'd rather use something for filler or front row damage that benefits from the Highwayman's assorted melee buffs, and Wicked Slice is considerably stronger than DA against the first two enemy slots and much more likely to crit than PBS (7% vs. 2% base, 5% from Surgeon's Gloves, possibly 4% from Sharpening Sheath, so anywhere from 5%-14% higher odds). And Unparalleled Finesse already gives Dodge and Speed and affects DA and WS, making it the clear choice over Clean Guns if abusing the riposte.

I'm just less impressed with PBS's raw damage now due to its restrictiveness, something that doesn't trouble a melee Highwayman. That said, WS and DA are only two slots out of four, you're not often using Open Vein, so there's room for PBS. The only things it really competes with are Grapeshot (which sucks pretty hard), Pistol Shot (why use this over DA?), and Tracking Shot. TS might be underrated for a Riposte build, especially with an Antiquarian on deck, but that's still in the running for the last slot as opposed to PBS which makes a strong case for always being on the bar.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

There will always be a baby/journeyman level dungeon available even if you level your dungeons up to max, specifically to prevent that sort of thing happening.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
It actually does scale to your levels, if you have nothing but lv5/6 guys and a handful of lv0s you will not even be offered Veterans, but if you recruit some lv2/3 guys then next week there will probably be a Veteran or two generated. You can't change the missions that are already offered by changing your lineup, but the next week the game will look at your current roster to determine what it thinks you can handle. If a bunch of your guys get wiped in a Champion run then the next week it will notice the lower proportion of lv5/6 heroes and adjust mission offerings accordingly. That plus the guaranteed Apprentice should avoid being inconvenienced for more than maybe one week, if you get a bad or weird mission pull.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

TBH it's the selection of quest rewards that's got my jimmies rustled at the moment. I don't need a 3rd Diabolic Tambourine, game. I didn't even need the first one. But a Sharpening Sheath? God fordbid!

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
I can't believe I just lost 2 heroes to veteran Wilbur. I'm loving retarded. I had that in the bag and everything.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Rangpur posted:

TBH it's the selection of quest rewards that's got my jimmies rustled at the moment. I don't need a 3rd Diabolic Tambourine, game. I didn't even need the first one. But a Sharpening Sheath? God fordbid!

I just view bad trinket rewards as extra money. The rare ones will fetch a pretty penny after all.

Though judging by the streams I watched, the majority of players hoard every last trinket even though they never use half of them.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I will definitely put off a boss if the trinket reward is poo poo. Those early Very Rares are too valuable to not reroll for a Vial or Helm or whatever.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

ErKeL posted:

I can't believe I just lost 2 heroes to veteran Wilbur. I'm loving retarded. I had that in the bag and everything.

I hate to do this, but if you were not aware: once you kill the big man you can retreat and you'll still complete the quest.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Also in the category "loving hell why did I not see this before :aaa: " :

When in hamlet, next to the number of heirlooms you have, you can press the tiny rotator symbol to bring up an exchange function :aaaaa:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I believe that was added recently.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Tias posted:

When in hamlet, next to the number of heirlooms you have, you can press the tiny rotator symbol to bring up an exchange function :aaaaa:

You didn't see it before because it's new in the last patch.

Something that should be obvious but took me a while to realise: the debuff-clearing effect of herbs applies to debuffs from camp skills, eg the -2 speed on restring crossbow.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Tias posted:

If it makes you feel better, the reason you didn't see it before is probably because it's a new feature introduced in the last update.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Oh, good! I was really floored :eng99:

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Coolwhoami posted:

I hate to do this, but if you were not aware: once you kill the big man you can retreat and you'll still complete the quest.
Oh yes I was aware of this but I still figured I could finish him off but he was just laying down stuns like loving crazy. My whole crew pretty much had 120% stun buffs nailing them every round and still stunning them.

Took me ages just to get someone to resist a stun so I could retreat.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wafflecopper posted:

Something that should be obvious but took me a while to realise: the debuff-clearing effect of herbs applies to debuffs from camp skills, eg the -2 speed on restring crossbow.

so what you're saying is bring along some herb on a party that's going to drink with the hellion for extra fun times

Tias
May 25, 2008

Tollymain posted:

so what you're saying is bring along some herb on a party that's going to drink with the hellion for extra fun times

That's a given :getin:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Wafflecopper posted:

:vince: I did not think of that.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Tollymain posted:

it'll cost you 1000 gold but yes indeed you can destress in the dankest dungeon with no other drawback

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

ErKeL posted:

Oh yes I was aware of this but I still figured I could finish him off but he was just laying down stuns like loving crazy. My whole crew pretty much had 120% stun buffs nailing them every round and still stunning them.

Took me ages just to get someone to resist a stun so I could retreat.

I once killed the swine prince with only one party member remaining, and watched for the next 6 turns while wilbur chain stunned the dude, with the only free turns resulting in misses for me. Rip that party.