Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beeez
May 28, 2012

Raxivace posted:

Owen is only in like 15 minutes of Star Wars.

Okay?

Waffles Inc. posted:

I totally hear you on this, but why would it be bad for her to resemble Luke too much?

She's already very similar to Luke, I just don't see how making her even more similar to him is going to make her more interesting, which is what you said. I'm not saying it'd be "bad", per se, I just don't know how it would've been more interesting.

Out of all the stuff from the conceptual/development phase, I really wish they had gone with the idea of having more Jedi than just Luke in it. I think the idea of more Jedi than Luke existing at this point would've been really cool, would've made the development of some of these characters seem less regressive, and would've opened up a lot of possibilities for future action scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Beeez posted:

I disagree, I think her reluctance is one of the big things that differentiates her from Luke in the OT. Having an older male figure holding her back would be too similar to the dynamic between Luke and Owen.

I think what would differentiate him from Owen is that he was an ex-Republican Pilot himself, so their would obviously be a bit of political and generational strife between the two characters. If Rey wanted to run off and fight "the good fight" it would be interesting to finally see whether ex-rebels from the OT denounced or glorified the war, especially if what they won and faught for were lovely junkyard jobs on desert planets. Or it could have had Rey have second thoughts about what her life would have been like under the GREAT Empire.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

homullus posted:

A heroic superweapon is still a weapon designed to kill as many people as possible. Wars not make one great.

The specific design was of a sperm with an armored head designed to penetrate the shell of a Death Star; it literally boasted no military capabilities beyond "it can crash land and bunker bust a hollow planet". Both in symbolism and face utility it was a tool for protecting life; the ironic Life Missile for the ironic Death Star.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Waffles Inc. posted:

A never-ending desire to return to Jakku that simply ceases at some point for reasons we're never shown is not a very interesting force to propel the protagonist's journey the way it's used in TFA.

Rey is given many different reasons to leave Jakku for good. She rejects them constantly, even Maz's plea after telling her straight up "I can see it in your eyes, you know your family is never coming back, but there is someone waiting for you in the future". She is possibly open to this plea until Maz brings up the lightsaber, then Rey immediately reacts badly ("I'll never touch that thing again. I don't want anything to do with this!").

After that -
Rey reads Kylo's mind, battles with him, draws Luke's lightsaber during that battle, uses the Force to defeat Kylo (+Chewiebolt)
Han Solo dies

If you want to say Luke is only the next father figure Rey is reaching for, then you might believe Han Solo's death is the deciding factor in her changing from wanting to return to Jakku to wanting to explore the myths and legends of the galaxy. If you think that after reading Kylo's mind, her opinion on the Force has changed, and she is now seeking help/training then the fight with Kylo and possibly a desire to protect Finn (to gain power) is the motivating factor. Maybe she finds her journey to find Luke inescapable - she has his lightsaber, she knows where he is, she wants him to take it out of her life so that she CAN return to Jakku. Bear in mind her expression when she is trying to give Luke the saber.

It's probably some combination of these things. Or maybe she just wanted to wear her fresh new travel duds.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Alternatively, she might have come to terms with the fact that she can't just hoard relics and ride out the war; if the First Order are ready to blow up three planets simultaneously on a whim (and charge up for three more) there's no guarantee that they wont go "considering the last two revolutions, we should wipe out the garbage outer rim desert planets.". Even her most familiar and lowly living is not safe under the First Order.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

turtlecrunch posted:

Maybe she finds her journey to find Luke inescapable - she has his lightsaber, she knows where he is, she wants him to take it out of her life so that she CAN return to Jakku. Bear in mind her expression when she is trying to give Luke the saber.

I can buy this

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

MonsieurChoc posted:

gently caress it, let's talk about TFA. And anime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is7A_htB54g

So, as I was watching The Force Awakens, I was struck by similarities to an old anime series from 1993: Victory Gundam. Not due to similarities of plot or characters, but of factions.

Now, the Gundam series has always been kind of Japan's answer to Star Wars: a huge sprawling series of sci-fi stories, with a huge expanded universe, toys, spin-offs and crazy fans. Yoshiyuki Tomino, the creator of Gundam, was born a mere three years before George Lucas, and they both grew up watching similar stuff. They both ended up making stories about fighting Space Fascism in the late 70s (Gundam came out in 79, Star Wars in 77), and both had beam/light sabers and psychic teenagers and were critical of imperialism (George of the Vietnam War, Tomino of the old Imperial Japan). Some have accused Gundam F91 (the movie created right before Victory) of being a "Star Wars Ripoff", with a bad guy with a metal mask who's the father of the main heroine and a similar sounding soundtrack (the Cosmo Baylon theme sounds a bit like the Imperial March, but then again they both sound similar to Mars Bringer of War), but I always felt it was more a case of both men drawing from similar inspirations.

Victory and The Force Awakens were made in almost opposite circumstances: both franchises had recently been bought by a new owner, more focused on commercial gains. Disney in Star Wars's case, and Bandai (a toy company) in Gundam's case. Except where TFA is the new beginning made by an hopeful newcomer, Victory is the last series made by a bitter creator who feels he has lost control ove rhis creation. And this shows in the final products: TFA is overall fairly optimistic, with the heroes winning a hard-won victory and finding Luke, while Victory Gundam is probably one the bleakest entries in the Gundam franchise (a series that begun by telling us a war had wiped out half the human population in the Earth Sphere). And yet, both end up with similar political set-ups. Both take place 30 years after the previous entry in the franchise, both have a new opponent that the Republic/Federation is unwilling to fight, with a third faction (the Resistance/League Militaire) taking it's place to fight, with hidden support from the Republic/Federation. Both also have a pretty huge theme of the old generation vs the new generation.

The First Order is almost entirely made up of young people, more fanatic than before. Likewise, Zanscare (the villains in Victory Gundam) are also mostly made up of younger people (with a few older commanders in the background), fanatics willing to commit atrocities in the name of their nebulous causes. Both have crucial exceptions: Supreme Leader Snoke is a crumbling corpse, while Zanscare is eventually revealed to being led from the Shadow by an old man from Jupiter, cynically manipulating the population's devotion to their younger Queen for his own designs. Likewise, both the Resistance and the League Militaire are led by old people still fighting the same old wars, while serving the role of mentors to the new generation caught in the conflict by circumstances rather than choice. One of the best scenes in the series is when the old men sacrifice themselves in the last episode (here). Tomino has always had a theme running through his series of the old generation using and throwing away the new one, using them in their pointless wars and destroying the hope of a better future. In this scene the trend is reversed and maybe a new future will emerge (it doesn't, there are new wars after this). Similarly, the old guard shown in the Resistance (Admiral Ackbar, General Leia, etc.) will need to make way for Finn and Rey's generation eventually, or risk just repeating the same cycle ad vitam aeternam.

Anyway, the similarities between the Resistance and the League Militaire have been stuck in my head ever since watching the movie. I don't think it's super meaningful or anything, but I do find that kind of stuff interesting.
This is a good post, I see no reason to dismiss it. Gundam and Star Wars have always given and taken from each other, from the lightsabers to jedi reflexes and the speeder bike chase.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Rey's motivations are kinda lame because all the people working on TFA are such huge Star Wars Fans that they didn't think they needed to write good reasons for her to not fly around the galaxy with Han Solo and Chewbacca, the Greatest People Ever of All Time (actually a space trucker and his talking dog).

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

That's because the fight scene in Episode 3 (though it features Sheev hamming it up) isn't a comedy scene. It's a scene of a little puppy getting kicked around by a cackling, Joker-like character.

You need to look at the context. The entire ending of Episode 2 is about getting high on power and violence. Anakin and Padme are getting all hot & bothered slaughtering brown aliens. Anakin says "they're retreating! Shoot them in the back!", and Obiwan's like "great job, Anakin!" Everyone just gets caught up in this wave of evil, and that all of that builds up to Yoda pulling out his sword.

I've said this before, but Yoda is effectively the protagonist of Episode 2, as the entire film is about his corruption. He's the one dude who should have known better.

The film literally ends with Yoda saying "I see everything clearly now: we need to start a war against Count Dooku!" It's comedy.

I found it more interesting since Sheev has already used the legal and military apparatus of the Republic to completely neuter the Jedi through Order 66 and having the Clone Troopers storm the temple, and then, against Yoda, he's literally throwing the Republic at him and shielding himself with it, almost like some sort of crazy videogame boss.

Of course Yoda does well by responding in key, but that's probably the first time the Jedi actually tried to take down the Chancellor by using the systems of the Republic as opposed to a direct show of force, and by that point it was too little and too late.

In all honesty the Yoda vs Sheev fight is probably my favorite fight in any of the films

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Hey he's a smuggler, which explains why he has no qualms with murdering people.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I just rewatched rots and yodas fight ends with him getting pooped out of the senate.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

People didn't think Yoda used a lightsaber because the idea of a tiny green goblin using one is stupid. Episode II came out and confirmed that for everyone.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Chucat posted:

I found it more interesting since Sheev has already used the legal and military apparatus of the Republic to completely neuter the Jedi through Order 66 and having the Clone Troopers storm the temple, and then, against Yoda, he's literally throwing the Republic at him and shielding himself with it, almost like some sort of crazy videogame boss.

Of course Yoda does well by responding in key, but that's probably the first time the Jedi actually tried to take down the Chancellor by using the systems of the Republic as opposed to a direct show of force, and by that point it was too little and too late.

In all honesty the Yoda vs Sheev fight is probably my favorite fight in any of the films

It's great, but the best part is when Palpatine is the only person to ever verbalize the fact that Yoda is green.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

SHISHKABOB posted:

I just rewatched rots and yodas fight ends with him getting pooped out of the senate.

Yoda (an enemy of the state!) tries to illegally depose a 100% honest ruler who has achieved absolute power while working completely within the systems of the Republic. Of course the Senate is going to literally rise to his defense and proceed to crush Yoda, eat him up and poo poo him out.

The brief cut between them rising up through the floor of the Senate House and Palpatine having a commanding position in the fight is just how much time the Senate needed to deliberate on what was unfolding before them.

Chucat fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 27, 2016

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Beeez posted:

It's great, but the best part is when Palpatine is the only person to ever verbalize the fact that Yoda is green.

I think the line in the film is "my little green friend" but if I recall correctly there's an earlier scene in the novel before Palp's big reveal where he, Yoda, and Mace are sitting around talking and Palpatine is thinking how glorious it's going to be when "the little green freak" gets what's coming to him soon

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Sheev, to Yoda: I have waited a long time for this moment, my little green friend.

Quigon, to Watto: Patience, my blue friend.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Waffles Inc. posted:

It would've given her some sort of driving force to do the things she does in the movie. Right now, the only reason she does things is that she's the good guy and thus is involved in the story. If she desires to get off the planet from the get go there's a reason to think she would want to be involved in all of the goings-on.

A never-ending desire to return to Jakku that simply ceases at some point for reasons we're never shown is not a very interesting force to propel the protagonist's journey the way it's used in TFA.

Anywho yeah I agree with Neuroliminal that it doesn't ultimately matter and "what if" speculation is pretty dumb

I totally hear you on this, but why would it be bad for her to resemble Luke too much?

She's torn between leaving and remaining on Jakku. I'm rehashing a post I made yesterday here, but I don't see how this isn't clear. We see her gazing dreamily, while wearing a pilot's helmet, at a spaceship blasting off. We see her recognize herself in the face of an aged woman cleaning scrap across from her. Her daily marks on the AT-AT's interior evidence a prisoner's mentality. When she initially leaves with Finn it's because (as is stated in the script) she's been identified with him and BB8 by the Tie Fighters. When she accompanies them to Takodama she's clearly happy. Maz makes clear that on some level Rey already realizes that there's no reason left for her to remain on Jakku beyond fruitless guilt.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Chucat posted:

Yoda (an enemy of the state!) tries to illegally depose a 100% honest ruler who has achieved absolute power while working completely within the systems of the Republic. Of course the Senate is going to literally rise to his defense and proceed to crush Yoda, eat him up and poo poo him out.

He hired people to starve a planet into declaring a vote of no confidence against his political opponent.

You could say "well the senate wouldn't know who sidious is", but he literally fights with and shoots lightning at the Jedi head master despite having no Jedi training, in an area already established to have cameras. It wouldn't take a genius to connect the dots.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Neurolimal posted:

He hired people to starve a planet into declaring a vote of no confidence against his political opponent.

You could say "well the senate wouldn't know who sidious is", but he literally fights with and shoots lightning at the Jedi head master despite having no Jedi training, in an area already established to have cameras. It wouldn't take a genius to connect the dots.

She declared a vote of no confidence because the previous chancellor was in thrall to bureaucrats, the senators didn't give a poo poo about the war, they gave a poo poo about wanting a chancellor who wouldn't get bossed around and who would also get poo poo done.

Also they wouldn't be terrified of Sidious for being a Sith Lord, they'd probably think "Thank god this guy is able to defend himself against those loving insane Jedi."

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx

MonsieurChoc posted:

gently caress it, let's talk about TFA. And anime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is7A_htB54g

So, as I was watching The Force Awakens, I was struck by similarities to an old anime series from 1993: Victory Gundam. Not due to similarities of plot or characters, but of factions.

Now, the Gundam series has always been kind of Japan's answer to Star Wars: a huge sprawling series of sci-fi stories, with a huge expanded universe, toys, spin-offs and crazy fans. Yoshiyuki Tomino, the creator of Gundam, was born a mere three years before George Lucas, and they both grew up watching similar stuff. They both ended up making stories about fighting Space Fascism in the late 70s (Gundam came out in 79, Star Wars in 77), and both had beam/light sabers and psychic teenagers and were critical of imperialism (George of the Vietnam War, Tomino of the old Imperial Japan). Some have accused Gundam F91 (the movie created right before Victory) of being a "Star Wars Ripoff", with a bad guy with a metal mask who's the father of the main heroine and a similar sounding soundtrack (the Cosmo Baylon theme sounds a bit like the Imperial March, but then again they both sound similar to Mars Bringer of War), but I always felt it was more a case of both men drawing from similar inspirations.

Victory and The Force Awakens were made in almost opposite circumstances: both franchises had recently been bought by a new owner, more focused on commercial gains. Disney in Star Wars's case, and Bandai (a toy company) in Gundam's case. Except where TFA is the new beginning made by an hopeful newcomer, Victory is the last series made by a bitter creator who feels he has lost control ove rhis creation. And this shows in the final products: TFA is overall fairly optimistic, with the heroes winning a hard-won victory and finding Luke, while Victory Gundam is probably one the bleakest entries in the Gundam franchise (a series that begun by telling us a war had wiped out half the human population in the Earth Sphere). And yet, both end up with similar political set-ups. Both take place 30 years after the previous entry in the franchise, both have a new opponent that the Republic/Federation is unwilling to fight, with a third faction (the Resistance/League Militaire) taking it's place to fight, with hidden support from the Republic/Federation. Both also have a pretty huge theme of the old generation vs the new generation.

The First Order is almost entirely made up of young people, more fanatic than before. Likewise, Zanscare (the villains in Victory Gundam) are also mostly made up of younger people (with a few older commanders in the background), fanatics willing to commit atrocities in the name of their nebulous causes. Both have crucial exceptions: Supreme Leader Snoke is a crumbling corpse, while Zanscare is eventually revealed to being led from the Shadow by an old man from Jupiter, cynically manipulating the population's devotion to their younger Queen for his own designs. Likewise, both the Resistance and the League Militaire are led by old people still fighting the same old wars, while serving the role of mentors to the new generation caught in the conflict by circumstances rather than choice. One of the best scenes in the series is when the old men sacrifice themselves in the last episode (here). Tomino has always had a theme running through his series of the old generation using and throwing away the new one, using them in their pointless wars and destroying the hope of a better future. In this scene the trend is reversed and maybe a new future will emerge (it doesn't, there are new wars after this). Similarly, the old guard shown in the Resistance (Admiral Ackbar, General Leia, etc.) will need to make way for Finn and Rey's generation eventually, or risk just repeating the same cycle ad vitam aeternam.

Anyway, the similarities between the Resistance and the League Militaire have been stuck in my head ever since watching the movie. I don't think it's super meaningful or anything, but I do find that kind of stuff interesting.

Gonna second that this post rules. Gundam is the poo poo and I got into it shortly after seeing TFA, so it was kinda neat to make comparisons. (Though I really don't like Victory. Zeta is my jam.)

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Chucat posted:

She declared a vote of no confidence because the previous chancellor was in thrall to bureaucrats, the senators didn't give a poo poo about the war, they gave a poo poo about wanting a chancellor who wouldn't get bossed around and who would also get poo poo done.

Also they wouldn't be terrified of Sidious for being a Sith Lord, they'd probably think "Thank god this guy is able to defend himself against those loving insane Jedi."

The point is that the Jedi know Sidious orchestrated the planet invasion, the cameras would reveal that Palpatine is a sith lord, and the dumb Rule of Two thing means that he must be Sidious because Dooku died like a day ago. Thus meaning that he sicced the trade federation on a senator to persuade her into voting him in.

It's like accusing a senator of using the mafia to remove any political threats, then the senator pulls out a tommygun and gets into a gunfight with security. If he wins I'm not going to think "thank god he can defend himself against such baseless accusations!"

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
He gets into a gunfight with security because they think he's a Space-Muslim and that means they have to commit a coup to stop him bringing about sharia law [despite the fact that they have incredibly shaky grounds for him being a Space-Muslim and that they have no proof he's done anything wrong except 'be a Space-Muslim'].

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

If only Jar-Jar Binks didn't ask for a vote for Space Fascism. Thanks Jar-Jar. Thar-Thar.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Extremely important fact:

It is never actually revealed - at any point in the films - that Sheev Palpatine and Darth Sidious are the same person.

People might object that of course they're the same person; they're played by the same actor, and so-on. But the fact is that this is purely subtextual. It is never shown, or even really stated. It's purely an assumption based on the casting - and plenty of films cast actors in dual roles.

Palpatine and Sidious remain entirely different characters for duration of all three prequel films. And then, at the end, Darth Sidious simply vanishes from the narrative.

Moreover: none of the protagonists actually see Darth Sidious, or become aware of his existence at any point. It's incredibly rare for anyone to interact with him at all. It's quite likely that Yoda goes to his grave believing Dooku was the Sith Lord behind the Seperatist movement. And is he wrong?

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 27, 2016

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

quote:

OBI-WAN: He was deceived by a lie. We all were. It appears that the Chancellor is behind everything, including the war. Palpatine is the Sith Lord we've been looking for. After the death of Count Dooku, Anakin became his new apprentice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsM-fpkK2aQ

quote:

YODA: I hear a new apprentice, you have. Emperor, or should I call you Darth Sidious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUbHibeDVHE

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jan 27, 2016

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

It is never actually revealed - at any point in the films - that Sheev Palpatine and Darth Sidious are the same person.

People might object that of course they're the same person; they're played by the same actor, and so-on. But the fact is that this is purely subtextual. It is never shown, or even really stated. It's purely an assumption based on the casting - and plenty of films cast actors in dual roles.

The fact that Sheev and Sidious share an actor is just another element of the prequels using visual storytelling over explicit dialogue.

Look at Dooku's face, just as he is about to be executed by Anakin. That's the look of the apprentice betrayed by his master.

I don't have any screenshots, but look at how wrinkly Sidious is in the holograms in TPM (and AotC). When Sheev's 'mask' drops during his fight with Mace Windu, the same wrinkly face emerges from Palpatine. The Sith Lord was coming from inside the Chancellor.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Seriously though, why didn't Obi-Wan either finish Anakin off or help him? I get that he's an irredeemable monster at that point but just standing there while someone is loving burning alive is cold, man.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

Seriously though, why didn't Obi-Wan either finish Anakin off or help him? I get that he's an irredeemable monster at that point but just standing there while someone is loving burning alive is cold, man.

Obi-Wan is a hero from a more civilized time.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Quite right (and, actually, I'd forgotten that Yoda accuses him of being Sidious), but I'm talking on a purely formal level.

It's like having a Superman movie where there's a minor character named Clark Kent, who happens to be played by the same actor. There isn't a single instance where Sidious changes into Chancellor clothes or says "oh yeah, I'm Sidious". They remain distinct characters - even when Chancellor Sheev Palpatine transforms into Emperor Sheev Palpatine. He does not transform into Emperor Sidious.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

You idiots! These are not them! You've captured their stunt doubles!

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Neurolimal posted:

We went over this earlier in the thread, but the security cameras seen earlier in the Jedi Temple don't show Palpatine's office, they show the Temple (duh). The recording is of Palpatine arriving at the Temple after Anakin's done killing everyone. He tells Anakin he's a good boy, hands him his lunch, and sends him off to school on Mustafar.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Neurolimal posted:

The point is that the Jedi know Sidious orchestrated the planet invasion, the cameras would reveal that Palpatine is a sith lord, and the dumb Rule of Two thing means that he must be Sidious because Dooku died like a day ago. Thus meaning that he sicced the trade federation on a senator to persuade her into voting him in.

It's like accusing a senator of using the mafia to remove any political threats, then the senator pulls out a tommygun and gets into a gunfight with security. If he wins I'm not going to think "thank god he can defend himself against such baseless accusations!"

I know it's mentioned in one of the novelizations, which are canon I suppose, but is the rule of two ever mentioned by the Sith in the movies? I think it is only mentioned by the Jedi Council in Phantom Menace who turns out to not know poo poo about the Sith at that point.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
This is correct, in the movies it's only mentionedoutright in Phantom Menace when they're talking about running into/defeating Darth Maul, though in Revenge of the Sith we see it implied when Palpatine drops information about Plagueis and he himself being a Sith to Anankin.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Yoda talks to the Sith who created the Rule of Two in the TV show. He's voiced by Mark Hamill. :buddy:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Palpatine and Sidious remain entirely different characters for duration of all three prequel films. And then, at the end, Darth Sidious simply vanishes from the narrative.

Moreover: none of the protagonists actually see Darth Sidious, or become aware of his existence at any point. It's incredibly rare for anyone to interact with him at all. It's quite likely that Yoda goes to his grave believing Dooku was the Sith Lord behind the Seperatist movement. And is he wrong?

Jesus.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

I really enjoyed the lame excuse when that got shut down.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

It is never actually revealed - at any point in the films - that Bigger Luke and Luke Prime are the same person.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
It's a funny inverse of the "what is the black goo???" reaction to Prometheus.

Dooku tells Obiwan that a man named Sidious is influencing senators, but there is basically no evidence that Sidious exists - let alone that Palpatine is Sidious. It's just something that everyone takes for granted based on two points:

1) Palpatine is Evil.

2) The Jedi Bible (Jible) says "always two there are."

That's it.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The dramatic reveal of the next film will be that Snoke is actually Biggest Luke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

No, Snoke is obvious Sidious, who we haven't seen yet in the flesh.

• Locked thread