Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

ekeog posted:

I interpreted that as a "Pan is back and he's helping" kinda deal, personally

I interpreted it as that was Sloane and Hurley's plan all along. I mean, they had the Gaia Sash, so a quick, uh, species change and then a year and a bit of recuperation sounds about right, I guess? But also out-of-story I think this was Griffin trying to walk back his Dead Lesbians ending there. Like I never felt like they were dead bc I had already gotten the impression they'd transformed into intertwining trees, not died, but showing that they can still be an active force in the immediate surrounding area is nice, because mythologically, like, the whole treensformation is absolutely a metaphor for death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

butt hort posted:

If you were watching, you'd know that the game glitched and didn't give him the option to even spectate. He had to leave and rejoin the match in order to spectate everyone else.

You guys sure as hell are allowed to dislike Russ, but blaming him for technical issues beyond his control and expecting him cover every interesting moment is just dumb and old tbh. It seems the only solution you'd would be happy with is having everyone streaming at the exact same time so you can not miss out on any action, but that's hardly feasible or interesting to dig through for all the juicy bits. Plus the UI for spectating private games looks like hell to manage.

There were a couple times during the stream where Russ would call somebody a "loving idiot" in a tone that was just way outside the friendly ribbing and banter of the rest of the group so maybe it's just his attitude more than his technical prowess that's starting to grate on me.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

PetraCore posted:

I interpreted it as that was Sloane and Hurley's plan all along. I mean, they had the Gaia Sash, so a quick, uh, species change and then a year and a bit of recuperation sounds about right, I guess? But also out-of-story I think this was Griffin trying to walk back his Dead Lesbians ending there. Like I never felt like they were dead bc I had already gotten the impression they'd transformed into intertwining trees, not died, but showing that they can still be an active force in the immediate surrounding area is nice, because mythologically, like, the whole treensformation is absolutely a metaphor for death.

Also remember when Cam was explaining what it takes to become a lich during the Suffering Game arc? His comments led to Griffin explicitly referencing Hurley's sacrifice as the sort of passionate act that can turn a human into a lich. So at the very least it makes sense that she's still around.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Cicadalek posted:

I'm likin' all the epic callbacks but man I hope a new campaign means Griffin won't be splitting up the THB so much. There's less goofs than before and thats fine, but I feel like since the stolen century and before there's been a tendency for Griffin to take the players aside one by one to engage in Character Development, and that leads to less really funny moments because the other guys dont want to blab over it. But then when the gang is in the same room you get those good good jokes that i crave, like the "and then Merle goes over to Angus" nonsense near the end.

That bit towards the end was the hardest I've laughed at TAZ in a while. I love how when Griffin hands them the reins they will absolutely get right into goofs. Pretty good episode for the whiplash of emotions I felt the whole way through.

That final music was dope as hell.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

PetraCore posted:

But also out-of-story I think this was Griffin trying to walk back his Dead Lesbians ending there. Like I never felt like they were dead bc I had already gotten the impression they'd transformed into intertwining trees, not died, but showing that they can still be an active force in the immediate surrounding area is nice, because mythologically, like, the whole treensformation is absolutely a metaphor for death.

I think you hit the nail on the head here (and I'm fine with it, I think it worked great narratively).

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

So, inversely, are Joaakuins a delicious food from Taako's universe?

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.
Noelle :negative:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Cicadalek posted:

I'm likin' all the epic callbacks but man I hope a new campaign means Griffin won't be splitting up the THB so much. There's less goofs than before and thats fine, but I feel like since the stolen century and before there's been a tendency for Griffin to take the players aside one by one to engage in Character Development, and that leads to less really funny moments because the other guys dont want to blab over it. But then when the gang is in the same room you get those good good jokes that i crave, like the "and then Merle goes over to Angus" nonsense near the end.

The new campaign won't have THB in it.

butt hort
May 6, 2007
i awake covered in snot dreamt i swallowed my teeth and tried to cough them up

timp posted:

There were a couple times during the stream where Russ would call somebody a "loving idiot" in a tone that was just way outside the friendly ribbing and banter of the rest of the group so maybe it's just his attitude more than his technical prowess that's starting to grate on me.

Fair! I just don't blame him at all for much of the technical stuff; although PUBG is crazy popular, it's also supremely janky especially within the private rooms.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Listening to past episodes, I'm surprised at how long Munch Squad has lasted. I think it's gotta be the longest-lived of their random bits, and it's got more legs than reading fast food press releases might seem to have.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
My gay heart grew three sizes this day

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
That episode got my so hype that I finally came to hunt down a TAZ SA thread. That's a special level of hype.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Waffleman_ posted:

Listening to past episodes, I'm surprised at how long Munch Squad has lasted. I think it's gotta be the longest-lived of their random bits, and it's got more legs than reading fast food press releases might seem to have.

I miss Haunted Doll Watch. :(

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.

Cicadalek posted:

THB won't go away but I think the plans the McElboys had for them is to be relegated to live show episodes, so Griffin and Co won't have to waste precious liveshow time introducing one-off characters and focus on the goofs

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Great taz episode, but what was happening with Joaquin at all? What was that?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
after all the stolen century stuff, the sdcc live show was a breath of fresh air. just full of goofs and spoofs. they play through(actual spoilers) the tomb of horrors. kinda.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
To clarify, I'm talking about Griffin splitting up player character segments in general rather than THB in particular. I'm totally ok with the gang starting up a new campaign/ characters.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Little Mac posted:

Great taz episode, but what was happening with Joaquin at all? What was that?

Griffin decided the best way for Taako to learn about tacos would be to contact Earth and learn the authentic recipe from a Floridian kid working at a food truck. The tacos were so good that they both got superpowers. Seems pretty straightforward.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

PetraCore posted:

I miss Haunted Doll Watch. :(

Blame Terry Gross for chomping their flavor. And her brother, Scary Gross.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Supercar Gautier posted:

Griffin decided the best way for Taako to learn about tacos would be to contact Earth and learn the authentic recipe from a Floridian kid working at a food truck. The tacos were so good that they both got superpowers. Seems pretty straightforward.

I think it ties into how Earth is the plane of... creativity or some poo poo? Creation? in the cosmology of this set of planes. Which is just a tongue-in-cheek reference to this all being not just fiction but roleplaying, but I think it's specifically why Taako had to contact THAT plane first to break the communication-dampening. The taco wasn't what gave Taako superpowers, probably, but the ritual of going through making them and then enjoying them at the same time as Joaquin with the specific intent of helping to break the bubble.

And then the collective energy backlash gave Taako and Joaquin superpowers, yes.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Somberbrero posted:

after all the stolen century stuff, the sdcc live show was a breath of fresh air. just full of goofs and spoofs. they play through(actual spoilers) the tomb of horrors. kinda.

How do they not die instantly?

Man, still super excited and happy about the latest TAZ episode, but I'm also excited to learn what they'll be playing next. I only started listening to TAZ recently (just after the end of the Suffering Game), so it'll be fun to get in on the next campaign from the ground floor.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

I think part of why the latest TAZ episodes have been so good is because it's ending though. I mean, TAZ is pretty consistently high-quality and to my specific tastes in fiction, but a good ending is just... really nice and satisfying.Wrapping up plot threads and having awesome action sequences and getting a feeling of closure. I'll miss the THB and the npcs I really like a lot, but I also prefer my stories to end instead of getting spun out past the point of emotional investment.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

SpacePig posted:

Blame Terry Gross for chomping their flavor. And her brother, Scary Gross.

I'm also surprised that Munch Squad's flavor hasn't been chomped. It seems like such an easy one to do, too.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm also surprised that Munch Squad's flavor hasn't been chomped. It seems like such an easy one to do, too.

It's probably because a lot of the featured players on Munch Squad advertising dollars with the heads of every major broadcasting company.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

PetraCore posted:

I think it ties into how Earth is the plane of... creativity or some poo poo? Creation? in the cosmology of this set of planes. Which is just a tongue-in-cheek reference to this all being not just fiction but roleplaying, but I think it's specifically why Taako had to contact THAT plane first to break the communication-dampening. The taco wasn't what gave Taako superpowers, probably, but the ritual of going through making them and then enjoying them at the same time as Joaquin with the specific intent of helping to break the bubble.
Remember that Bond is a powerful magical force in this universe, and Taako and Joaquin forming a bond was significant magically.

drat, I was so happy when Hurley and Sloane came back. "You've never seen a dryad. Now you've seen two." Sob.
Taako's revealing to Kravitz he wasn't pretty any more, and then playing it off as a test, was pretty great too.
"Taako's fine out here."

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

It didn't occur to me until right before Taako said it that it would be ridiculous for Kravitz to have any problem with his new face. Why would a skeletal apparition using magic to appear living mind his boyfriend using magic to make himself appear slightly prettier?

Ariong fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Aug 2, 2017

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Taako believes that being pretty is the best thing about him. See Wonderland.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea it wasn't really any genuine risk, but Taako is vain still and felt it was important to get out.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Taako believes that being pretty is the best thing about him. See Wonderland.

Yeah I understand why Taako was worried about it, but I never made the connection that him and Kravitz are in a similar situation until now.

EDIT: I don't understand how people are dogpiling on Russ for the latest Awful Squad after Pat got dropped from the server, accidentally joined some other server, force quit his game to exit out of it, restarted it, and joined another random server.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Aug 2, 2017

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Oh man, I got those good good ASMR crinkle tinkles (frisson??) with the musical callbacks, especially Discovery and Recovery. HELL YEAH IT'S ALL THE WARRIORS

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Wrong thread

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I'm not really irritated by Russ in Awful Squad, but I do think it's curious that he's more or less become the designated cameraman, since if I remember right, early streams had Pat and Nick doing trading it off off.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Russ is literally the sole reason I stopped watching awful squad. He's so insufferable.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Remember that Bond is a powerful magical force in this universe, and Taako and Joaquin forming a bond was significant magically.

drat, I was so happy when Hurley and Sloane came back. "You've never seen a dryad. Now you've seen two." Sob.
Taako's revealing to Kravitz he wasn't pretty any more, and then playing it off as a test, was pretty great too.
"Taako's fine out here."

I love my vain gay chef.

I thought it'd take more to convince Lucretia to cut it the gently caress out, but it didn't. I will say that as terrible as her memory thing was I don't think it, or splitting up the Light of Creation, was in vain. The decade and a bit was important. Both because it weakened the Hunger and caused some, uh, significant policy/planning changes within it, and because it allowed the IPRE to build strong bonds with people in this planar system. And bonds are important!

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Aug 2, 2017

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i don't care if it's been talked about, Nick Robinson describing his old practice of "drinking Pringles" by pouring warm water into a full container is maybe the worst thing I've ever heard

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

gently caress. I had forgotten about that, and was happier for it.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

what the gently caress, when was that discussed?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

kidcoelacanth posted:

All these dead characters returning and not Boyland gently caress this garbage show t:mad:

psyche it owned

You still got one of my favorite line deliveries of the entire show, so there's that.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Quest For Glory II posted:

i don't care if it's been talked about, Nick Robinson describing his old practice of "drinking Pringles" by pouring warm water into a full container is maybe the worst thing I've ever heard

Oh god why, why have you done this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

This episode v was basically the Gamemaster Anthony "bring it in guys!" post in the best way.

The reveal midway through had me yelling, holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/Oda_CM/status/892536577183760384

So many wonderful callbacks like Upsy and the army of Tom Bodetts