Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

madmac posted:

Well sorta.

https://steamdb.info/app/364360/dlc/

The two empire wizards took two slots, which means at this point there's only enough left to cover the other remaining FLC, ( Second Promo DLC+Bretts+New Vamp Lord+Old Friend=4) If we get anymore paid DLC (I'm sure we'll get at least one or two) they'll have to add them to Steam first.

As the other guy said though CA has also stated the next two games will have four races each so we'll probably not get anymore major races as DLC.

It's a pretty straight forward split except for Tomb Kings and maybe Skaven, since they are south of the Old World and could technically be slotted for either expansion. I'd bet on Skaven for game 2 just because they give Lizardmen a rival power, though.

Ah ok, I hadn't heard that about the 4 races per expansion. That gives me hope that they'll eventually flesh out Kislev, Estalia, Tilea, the Border Princes etc and sell us dlc to play as them. Or they'll just give us more packs like the King and the Warlord with alternate leaders and starts for existing factions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Korgan posted:

Ah ok, I hadn't heard that about the 4 races per expansion. That gives me hope that they'll eventually flesh out Kislev, Estalia, Tilea, the Border Princes etc and sell us dlc to play as them. Or they'll just give us more packs like the King and the Warlord with alternate leaders and starts for existing factions.

Don't hold out hope for those factions. They're aiming to include every army that had a book in WHFB. Kislev, Estalia, Tilea, and the Border Princes do not, nor do Chaos Dwarfs for that matter.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

We'll almost certainly get an update with unique mercs from those locations though. Not making that is just leaving money on the table.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Vlex posted:

Don't hold out hope for those factions. They're aiming to include every army that had a book in WHFB. Kislev, Estalia, Tilea, and the Border Princes do not, nor do Chaos Dwarfs for that matter.

I want to believe. :negative:

However, Chaos Dwarfs were mentioned by name in that dataleak from way back so we're probably getting them.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Vlex posted:

They almost certainly will have the chaos dwarfs at some point

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Chaos Dwarves were in the datamine, they're almost guaranteed to be added at some point.

The other minor human factions are a lot less likely, but CA isn't outright saying no to doing them eventually.

quote:

We touched on this during a talk with lead designer Rich Aldridge during our visit, and asked whether CA are looking at the past or minor factions that didn't get full support in Warhammer eighth edition.

"We want to bring the major races to the game as soon as possible for everyone to enjoy and play," he said, reiterating CA's commitment to the core 15. "The other more minor, more subtle races around the edges - absolutely, they're of interest to us, and they're something that we know have to exist in our world in some capacity." That's not a promise to make those races fully playable, of course, because minor human factions like Estalia, Tilea, Kislev and the Border Princes exist in the game already, using Empire-derived units and dialogue.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

does anyone have suggestions for skrisnik's campaign? general effectivness of units? short term goals? I've just been sending the big spider right at the middle of the dwarfy line and flooding in after it, but i feel like some of my units arent pulling their weight

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Zyla posted:

does anyone have suggestions for skrisnik's campaign? general effectivness of units? short term goals? I've just been sending the big spider right at the middle of the dwarfy line and flooding in after it, but i feel like some of my units arent pulling their weight

Skulkers. You can start building them by like turn 3 and they're incredibly strong against Dwarves once you start dumping points in Skarsnik's redline to get their attack bonus up. They're dirt cheap and AP and also stealthy (So they don't get shot with artillery on approach because they're invisible) and you can even throw in poison on top with Dripping Tips.

Eventually you want to mix in squigs as pseudo-cav units that also munch Dwarves but Skulkers and the giant spider are really the backbone of your armies with Skarsnik.

For short term goals I would just say don't be afraid to trade capitals with Karak Norn, upgrading from a minor settlement to a walled city is a trade in your favor and the first step towards crushing them.

Also take your starting Gobbo Big Boss and use him to damage walls or do other easy missions every turn, he'll level up insanely fast and then you can kit him out as a useful melee hero to back up Skarsnik in tough fights.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I hope one of the tradeoffs with Bretonnia is that their units are incredibly expensive while their economy is poo poo. It would be in keeping with the brutal serfdom/aloof nobility/secretly a buffer state whose religion is really a recruitment tool for a nihilistic Elven goddess. Speaking of the latter, I wonder if the Wood Elves will get relationship penalties or buffs with the Bretonnians.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Well, Orion is explicitly awake, and on game start there are no Chaos agents around Athel Loren, so I'm gonna go ahead and guess the Welfs and the Brets are gonna have some problems given his usual default when there's no Chaos around is to go apeshit on as many Brettonian peasants as he can find.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

What do I care about vanguard deployment? Especially as Vlad "No ranged" The Dad

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Dec 4, 2016

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Psycho Landlord posted:

Well, Orion is explicitly awake, and on game start there are no Chaos agents around Athel Loren, so I'm gonna go ahead and guess the Welfs and the Brets are gonna have some problems given his usual default when there's no Chaos around is to go apeshit on as many Brettonian peasants as he can find.
Could do something like the Imperial distrust/Underdog split that can change the early diplomacy game for Empire. Some Bret factions could get bonuses and others penalties or start out at war, etc.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

Aurubin posted:

The trait system is kinda annoying in this game, at least when your Legendary Lord develops into an unjust, crazed kleptocrat. The tried and true strategy of having them rush a doomstack alone in their underwear doesn't work like it did in previous games.

Can't recommend this mod enough http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=692561622

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009
Every-time I start thinking "man grail knights just arnt worth the cost, Im going to stop bringing them" a game like this happens :stare:

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/178286345942988419/C755A4AA470737CD0F7020451D84F5D318AA5825/

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Zasze posted:

Every-time I start thinking "man grail knights just arnt worth the cost, Im going to stop bringing them" a game like this happens :stare:

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/178286345942988419/C755A4AA470737CD0F7020451D84F5D318AA5825/

Not enough minotaurs, they were never going to win :colbert:

I don't even play MP

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Zasze posted:

I like the one unit of bowmen which only got 15 kills compared to the others on like 70-80. Slackers.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Baron Porkface posted:

What do I care about vanguard deployment? Especially as Vlad "No ranged" The Dad

it allows you to place units right bellow the nose of the enemy, negating a lot of the ranged potential of the enemy. You can also spawn people on their rear.

It's specially deadly with things like Skulkers and wolf riders because they can tear things up in a real nasty way.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Baron Porkface posted:

... When your entire stack is melee Vanguard deployment is awesome? It basically halves the volleys you have to take on the way in.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Aurubin posted:

I hope one of the tradeoffs with Bretonnia is that their units are incredibly expensive while their economy is poo poo. It would be in keeping with the brutal serfdom/aloof nobility/secretly a buffer state whose religion is really a recruitment tool for a nihilistic Elven goddess. Speaking of the latter, I wonder if the Wood Elves will get relationship penalties or buffs with the Bretonnians.

One cute mechanic Bretonnia had on the tabletop game was letting your opponent take the first turn so your Knights could pray to the Lady, in order to get some extra Ward saves. It'd be fun if that made an appearance somehow in Total War.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Yeah, you literally always got to go first against Brets because the Blessing of the Lady was so good. The Knights could lose it for poo poo like panicking, fleeing from combat, or refusing challenges.

Brets are awesome, hah

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Myyyyy goodness am I bad at this game. I tried playing as the dwarfs last night and ended up getting stomped by the green skins, much to my chagrin. I was progressing well enough through the campaign (I had just seized my fourth city by turn 20 something I think), but shortly thereafter Grimgor and a goblin stack appeared out of nowhere and began besieging my cities and I didn't have the dwarfpower to stop him with what I had.

Is that a situation where I should just let him do his thing and hope he gets bored with sacking my pitiful cities, or is a better player able to fight him off? Before he arrived I was fooling myself into thinking that I was playing well, since I was able to take cities and knock out the odd orc army without much difficulty.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Just build walls on everything as the Dwarfs and you should be fine, you'll beat most of the stuff they send at you and if they do send a doomstack at you so will you cripple it at the very least since your siege defense is stupid good.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Also, be careful how quickly you expand. Sometimes it's better to sack/raze and come back later to colonize if there is an enemy army nearby.

Note that if you are in pillars of grugni you can underway to your other cities in 1 turn. I sometimes have a small token force relying primarily on the adjacent garrison to fight off invading greens kids.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
As the dwarfs it's probably safest not to expand too quickly. Take your starting province in its entirety then either wait for Grimgor's army to show up or specifically seek him out yourself if you're feeling super-confident about your chances. If he has a Waaagh army in tow, you'll probably need to make use of garrison troops as well as your army to beat him (not necessarily, but probably).

Once you smash Grimgor's army you've got far more leeway, but until that point he does like beelining straight for you.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

My games vs. Jacks Angry Biome:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/racibi8cipcmkov/Nano%20vs.%20biome.zip?dl=0

Game 1: VC(Nano) vs. Dwarfs(biome) My first time playing this matchup in the tournament, seems incredibly Dwarf-sided because Vamps gotta waste 3100 gold on chaff infantry that will do less than nothing vs. dwarf armor. I don't play well enough to carry it at any rate. He takes
Game 2:Chaos(Nano) vs. Greenskins(biome) He takes less cav than usual so my dragon ogres plus lord and manticore win that fight then come back get to hero snipe to their hearts content in the semi-even inf engagement in the middle. I take
Game 3: He forfeits due to real life issues. Game me.

Overall: 2-1 me

SSJ naruto forfeited the match to me too, and maybe dropped out of the tournament, meaning that I have 2 more matches left vs. ChickenWing and Randark man. If there's no dropping out my record is 12-6. If both drop out, my record is 7-5.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Thanks for the tips, all! I will put them to use later tonight, is determined to become at least an average Total War player. I've been out of the series for years now and it is taking a while to shake all of the cob-webs off

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Thanks for the tips, all! I will put them to use later tonight, is determined to become at least an average Total War player. I've been out of the series for years now and it is taking a while to shake all of the cob-webs off

In addition to what others said, it's been my experience that the force estimator tends to underestimate walls and tends to overestimate Greenskin units. Point being that even if the game is telling you a battle is stacked against you, it's often worth fighting instead of autoresolving, especially if you're defending walls.

I don't know why you guys were complaining about the Clan Angrund campaign on Very Hard. It's super easy if you somehow luck into confederating Karak Norn, kill Snarsnik (who mysteriously doesn't have a single unit), and confederate the Dwarf Empire which includes several settlements and Thorgrim with a Legendary weapon by turn 25 or so.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
I don't think force calculator factors in army morale either. You could be grossly ourltnumbered but if your army has high morale and theirs doesn't you can end up winning a 'hopeless' battle simply by forcing them to rout.

However, it does factor in units that are fearless. They will inflict more damage in auto resolve but also suffer more casualties.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

If the waywatchers don't deried their opponents as "lumbahfoots" while peppering them to death I swear to god I will go full TWCenter on CA. :colbert:

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Lightning strike and quarrelers are key for me in dealing with the first Grimgor Waagh.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Gonkish posted:

If the waywatchers don't deried their opponents as "lumbahfoots" while peppering them to death I swear to god I will go full TWCenter on CA. :colbert:

haha I love memes

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
https://www.facebook.com/TotalWar/videos/1258885480853316/
Check out that war paint.

EDIT: Also, I seem to be having trouble getting this thing to embed properly, I tried the video tag and that didn't work, any idea what I need to do?

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Stephen9001 fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Dec 5, 2016

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

sassassin posted:

haha I love memes

:same:

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Those Wardancers look great. I always ran a big unit of them with a Wardancer Lord too, so I'm pretty pumped. Asrai Spears didn't exist in sixth, so that's a neat little addition.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

What are Asrai spears, like mechanically. Are they armor piercing weapons, effective on the charge?

On a side note I've always been kind of bothered how spears are treated in Total War (and a lot of strategy games in general) as basically defensive weapons good against cavalry but ill suited for offensive work and engaging other infantry units. In reality spears were excellent offensive weapons, particularly if wielded by disciplined infantry (or articulated as milhis spergs sometimes say when it comes to a military formation that is capable of effective offensive action whilst maintaining order and formation). Compared to swords (the longer types at least) which needed more room to be wielded, spears were more conducive to fighting and attacking in formation which throughout history generally made it the primary weapon and relegated swords to a sidearm, a back-up weapon. There are many examples of hoplites, pikemen (Macedonian phalangites and the pikemen of the later medieval era) being devastating on the charge, and in the case of hoplite warfare charging (in formation) was basically the most important thing they did.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I think they mentioned asrai spears being armour-piercing and anti-large in the battle walkthrough video. So I guess a bit similar to halberds? But probably with higher charge bonus for wardancers at least.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.
I hadn't fought or played an Empire faction since the introduction of Flagellants, holy poo poo these guys.

I didn't think too much of them until early in a game until I decided to bring Nuln and it's sweet cannon technology into the fold. I attack and the AI filled the walls with flagellants and backed them with a mortar and xbows.

I had to reload and try the battle again because of those unbreakable fuckers. Between the walls and the unit that held the gate my army just kinda stalled and got picked apart by mortar fire, towers, and enemy arrows.

They seem way better than Zombies for trapping the front line of an enemy army, not sure how survivable they are in late game but earlier on they're pretty awesome.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
They absolutely melt under any ranged fire at all, but if the enemy doesn't have ranged troops or otherwise can't bring them to bear effectively then flagellants are pound for pound better than other infantry at their price point I think. The fact that they get combat boosts if they're losing a fight makes them last much longer than you might think, and being unbreakable helps a lot too.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
flagellants are really great for fighting against VC, pretty good against Beastmen and Chaos, which is kind of the point lore-wise I guess. They can be good against other factions too, especially in siege defenses, but as other people have said, they get shredded by ranged units. They're a little sturdier if you put them in Volkmar or an Arch Lector's army since you can pick up more bonuses in their red trees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Patch notes and a wood elves lore vide were posted in CA's forums.

Here's the patch notes:

http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Total_War_WARHAMMER_Update_5

Lot's of interesting changes.

• Locked thread