Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
Oooh, very cool stash, kudos to you-dos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

skooma512 posted:

Which some guy in the hall took as an invitation to look inside, comment on my stuff, and I think I heard " come back later when he's gone". I could hear it clearly since the window was open. He was talking with the building manager's son in his apartment through the door I think, otherwise shooting the poo poo.

Well then go to the manager's office, and start going on a rant about gun control while casually mentioning your stock of shotguns and booby traps and your big pitt bull that you keep in a cage to be extra aggressive.

On a separate note, does anyone here have OCD or ADHD, or just a history of poor impulse control? What do you do to strengthen your cerebral cortex, "thinking slow", or concentration besides medications?

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags

America Inc. posted:

On a separate note, does anyone here have OCD or ADHD, or just a history of poor impulse control? What do you do to strengthen your cerebral cortex, "thinking slow", or concentration besides medications?
I had OCD symptoms for most of my life and am fairly ADHDish. Had a combo of being extremely constrained in many ways but extremely impulsive in other ways. The big problem area seems to be the prefrontal cortex for me- guanfacine helps with executive functioning and concentration for me as well as anxiety. Meditation helped a lot, therapy helped- in my case early psychological trauma and hiding what I'm like as a person ultimately were the biggest contributor to OCD symptoms.

I feel like cognitive stuff can also be helped just by taxing the brain in new and different ways every day too. I had a job in which I did some physical work like assembly, some engineering/programming, some IT, and some soft skills stuff like sales, and if I didn't have such a high level of stress at the time it would have been very healthy for me.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I have very bad ADHD and am not a medication candidate. What has allowed me to survive this way has been a careful balancing act, that I do not always keep in good order, between indulging and fighting against the ADHD.

Some things that are going with the ADHD rather than fighting them: sleep when tired. Organize as many things to be visible as possible (e.g. I use hanging shoe organizers for lots of small stuff that people put in drawers; if I put them in drawers I will 100% forget about them and just buy more). Write things down as soon as I think of them.

Fighting against the ADHD: checklists and outlines for everything (this is the single most important IMO). Keep some really strict habits like doing laundry the same day of the week no matter how little laundry I have. Alarms, alarms everywhere, egg timers in particular are an absolute loving godsend 100% better than an app.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

never ever ever, under any circumstances, tell yourself that future you is gonna do everything. once i accepted future me is a lazy, disgusting bastard who is capable of nothing good i started getting better at certain tasks

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

cash crab posted:

never ever ever, under any circumstances, tell yourself that future you is gonna do everything. once i accepted future me is a lazy, disgusting bastard who is capable of nothing good i started getting better at certain tasks

This is true, and also powerful post/av combo.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Long story short, I kept a migrant woman and her ~7 year old daughter from being mauled by one of the neighbors' monster dogs* that are unleashed and roam the neighborhood in packs chasing joggers and mauling livestock, I was taken aside and told in no uncertain terms that even STANDING by a migrant (i'm in south texas we've got 500 a day crossing locally), is enough for border patrol to detain, arrest, and charge you for 15 years in maximum security for felony alien smuggling. Mom said this as if the feds were completely in the right and she'd testify against me. "It will ruin your life forever!" and she wouldn't hesitate to help them since " biden is not allowing migrants to be charged with felony level crimes for entering, they will take it out on any citizen they can!"

this was said to me in the same terms that the border patrol was simply acting as any right-thinking frustrated neckstomper would. Worst thing is she's probably more correct than wrong (about the feds loving people up and getting away with it). i told her if that was true the border patrol were out of control and this was a police state and she almost had a crack ping but then fox news told her migrant tactical burglar-rapists with islamic hamas terrorists who were hiding among them (according to mom/tv because they look the same) were flooding across the border and she was back to her dementia fascist self.

Mom and dad also threatened me with turning me into the cops or legally killing me under texas law at various points of my...well since age 13 or so nonstop. Turns out you absolutely can make a teenager do whatever you say, you just have to terrify the poo poo out of them so much they're fetal with fear lol.

I can't believe i'm at the stage of the Vonnegut story where going outside for a walk is defacto criminal behavior and worst of all touching grass outside my door is more traumatizing and damaging to my mental health than the internet

*As in no one fences their dogs around here so they form prison gangs that roam the neighborhood killing the animals exurbanites dabbling in FFA livestock raise until one or more of the dogs gets shot by another neighbor at which point there is screaming and shouting and I'm amazed no human beings have been shot over it yet.

Ronwayne has issued a correction as of 21:12 on Dec 22, 2023

MLK Ultra
Mar 9, 2021

meh.

had a nice day today.

MLK Ultra has issued a correction as of 07:43 on Dec 25, 2023

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

One of those things that I realized really strongly about my own ADHD and that I've managed to not only focus on but make significant progress on is excessive purchases. Specifically, buying things I already own because I forget that I own them. If I start running low on something, I'll buy a backup, put it in a drawer, then half a week later I end up buying more. The change to trying to keep as much stuff visible and accessible as possible has been an extremely good game changer for me: I spend a lot less time hunting for stuff, I spend a lot less money purchasing toothpaste and dental floss and such. My room looks messier but in practice its far less anxiety inducing and far easier for me to live in.

ANYWAY

I'm at my parents place, my mom has joked about having ADHD before, and the kitchen cabinet for baking supply has 8 containers of baking soda that have been opened and used like...2 or 3 times.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Merry Christmas goons, hope you're doing well. I've been mostly feeling good the past week but my sleep issues have ramped up massively the last few days, been repeatedly waking up feeling disoriented. I've got a sleep study in two weeks so hopefully I can get some relief soon

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
Merry Christmas, mental health thread!

Everybody that posts here from the regulars to the drive by freakouts are precious angel babies and I want us all to find peace and happiness

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

You too. May we :sickos: because things are actually funny in the coming year and not because they are traumatizing.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Merry Christmas! 🎄🎅

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

i once asked my therapist "do you look forward to taking a long break in december every year and coming back to christmas-induced psychological chaos" and they laughed and said yes

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
caught my mom stealing my meds on Christmas and when i confronted her on it she proved i was just being noid by assaulting me and screaming at me frim infront of my place for 10 minutes them flooring it and ruining the one day i was gonna slpend with my brother in like 3 months by making suicide threats over the phone
i just have one brother left and my mom loves to make the ol suicide threats wbem her backws against the wall so he will prolly do whatever to get her to stop
why is everyone so mean lol :( idek what to do anymore i already didn't but i cant think any more at all i just wanna sleep :(

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

FirstnameLastname posted:

caught my mom stealing my meds on Christmas and when i confronted her on it she proved i was just being noid by assaulting me and screaming at me frim infront of my place for 10 minutes them flooring it and ruining the one day i was gonna slpend with my brother in like 3 months by making suicide threats over the phone
i just have one brother left and my mom loves to make the ol suicide threats wbem her backws against the wall so he will prolly do whatever to get her to stop
why is everyone so mean lol :( idek what to do anymore i already didn't but i cant think any more at all i just wanna sleep :(

:smith: aw buddy

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

fuckin' hell, friend, that's a rough christmas. we just go full new england feelings vault for the holidays and no one says poo poo about nothing and we all go home none the worse for the wear even though one sibling stole the other's husband and we all pretend that's a normal thing that happens, but i couldn't imagine what they must have been like

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
:(

FirstnameLastname has issued a correction as of 08:32 on Dec 27, 2023

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags
I'm sorry fnln. When I told my mom that I was starting therapy earlier this year, I went through some similar stuff with her. And then again when I came out to her against my better judgement. Sometimes it's just about waiting it out until your body and brain feel like it's safe to start experiencing things normally again. I was just totally blank or super hyper for weeks after those times. I played guitar and watched aquarium videos on youtube a lot. Light exercise in nature was helpful. I'm hoping that you have a good 2024, you seem like a smart thoughtful person to me.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I've been having a lovely cold and need to bitch about it. Had a sore throat that cleared up a week ago but the lymph nodes in my neck are still all sore and swollen, and it's exacerbating tension headaches I've been having; plus I'm feeling pretty tired all the time. I feel like I need to just talk about to make myself feel better, but also have a strong internal bias against complaining so it's hard to get myself to do. It's this sort of weird catch 22 where either I don't think people care enough to listen to me or if I know they do then I feel like not complaining to them is being considerate

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

you are all cool and nice people and i hope everyone can have good thoughts/feelings this year :toot: :weed: :love:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
New year is a good time to work on myself. I don't like New Year's Resolutions, but another way to look at it is that November to December is such a horrible time to make self-improvement that January is the earliest I can expect to do anything. Family life between Thanksgiving and NYE is so busy, it's impossible to get doctor appointments as everyone's on vacation, etc. I really need to get my meds settled so I don't feel 10 out of 10 anxious literally all the time for no reason, and be able to focus on things for more than ten minutes.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I wasn't feeling up to going to a NYE party so I ended up cleaning up the house, finished washing some cookie sheets that had been sitting in my sink for like a week at exactly midnight. Happy new year cpsam

LifeLynx posted:

New year is a good time to work on myself. I don't like New Year's Resolutions, but another way to look at it is that November to December is such a horrible time to make self-improvement that January is the earliest I can expect to do anything. Family life between Thanksgiving and NYE is so busy, it's impossible to get doctor appointments as everyone's on vacation, etc. I really need to get my meds settled so I don't feel 10 out of 10 anxious literally all the time for no reason, and be able to focus on things for more than ten minutes.

Hey good luck with that! Yeah winter and holidays both suck to try getting anything done, but I hope you can get the medicine stuff sorted out quickly once everyone's off vacation at least

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

happy new year

an egg has issued a correction as of 13:24 on Jan 1, 2024

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Does anyone have trouble with hypochondria? I've done a better job about dealing with immediate panic but some part of my brain is convinced every new ache* is the beginning of some fatal disease. I know this is dumb but it just keeps happening. I'm in my early thirties, don't have any major diagnosed illnesses, and im only a little overweight so it's very likely overreactions. Plus I've got decent health insurance so i can get checked out, but I feel like I shouldn't go to the doctor every other month. I do have a sleep study in a few weeks so hopefully we can get that ruled out. But really I just need to break out of that sort of subconscious panic mode where everything has to be the worst possible option, even if I consciously know I should be patient

*mid-lower backs been increasingly stiff recently, I think I might just be bad posture but it's colliding with a bunch of other problems so it's freaking me out

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
Stash, I also tend to catastrophize potential health stuff. What winds me down is usually going through the following:

-I'm probably fine
-Acute/persistent/recurring problems might be a sign that something's actually wrong
-Write stuff down and bring it up during my GP visits later

Critically, once I write it down I try to put it out of my mind. The worst feeling for me is when I forgot to bring something up when I am at the doctor and then it flares up later, but nothing's been severe so far (knock on wood).

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

screaming into the void

an egg has issued a correction as of 12:31 on Jan 7, 2024

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

an egg posted:

screaming into the void

hello, this is the void, how's it going?

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I just went back and read my meltdown post. Holy poo poo I was hosed up. I remember the feeling of that, too; purestrain Lovecraftian insanity creeping up the hairs of your neck as reality itself dissolves and swirls around you in a psychedelic, drug-free disasterscape, and there's nothing you can do to stop it because it's all on a learned autopilot of reflex and unconscious habit where you have no control over yourself because that's just how it developed.

A perpetual motion machine of grand delusion and loss of control. I'm lucky. I can't believe I'm not homeless or dead right now.

:stare:

I should write about this somewhere. Or maybe become a neurologist/psych.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

Karach posted:

hello, this is the void, how's it going?
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

death by guilt nvm

an egg has issued a correction as of 04:07 on Jan 8, 2024

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

an egg posted:

e: in the past when i have gone into detail, the advice has always just been "sever", which... yes, i get that self-preservation is important, but people merrily severing from anyone who needs help is how we got into this loving mess as a society in the first place.

I do have to say, I don't know what the best thing for you to do is and it might even actually be "sever," but I think it says something good about you that you're at least trying your damndest to help people close to you. I do think when you're trying to help someone it's useful to be secure yourself, not just for your sake but also in order to calm things down rather than make them worse. But of course making that judgement as to what you can do is gonna be ultimately up to you.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Ugh. I've been completely undisciplined and done nothing except hygiene and cleaning. Went to my therapist and her two takes were

-"wow you look tired!"

-"do you think therapy is doing anything for you? Its been almost two years with no progress". and I told her that yeah, until my material circumstances change, I can't mentally get better. also therapy is keeping me from getting WORSE.

I'm going to have to amend all advice that says "love yourself" to "tolerate yourself at least half the time" because personal happiness is right out on the window and I need to be getting stuff accomplished before I age further.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

thank you, stash :h: as always, i am so sorry about the constant posting and deleting. i honestly don't know why some things i can write in my private journal and be happy while others i seem to need eyes on, even if only briefly - but it really does help.

as the song says, only love can break your heart. :(

ron, i so hope things improve for you soon. you seem like a kind person with a good grasp of reality and a determination to keep trying, even though there's so much poo poo piled on top of you. just having the presence of mind to keep going with therapy even when it doesn't produce concrete results is admirable. just to keep on going takes real strength.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I know this is small potatoes but its driving me nuts and my therapist hasn't been helping.

The people close to me in my life overestimate me. Massively and constantly. The extent is so far that I've gone from feeling like they're wrong, to feeling like they're pranking me, to feeling like there's some fictional version of me or a doppleganger or something that people are interacting with and basing their opinions of me on.

I don't think its merely that I have bad self esteem, though that's certainly a factor. I'm generally pretty good at estimating things like how fast I can write, how much weight I can lift, how many people I can cook for. But then my loved ones - not just family but also friends I've made relatively recently - seem upset and disappointed that I didn't do like 2x as much as I did. And I hate disappointing people! It feels way worse than just failing. So now even succeeding feels like poo poo.

People who have only known me for a few weeks or months seem to treat me like I'm a normal loving person but it feels like there's a point at like 6 months where people start treating me like I'm super human. Spending time with my parents over Christmas felt profoundly isolating because I can't talk with them about basically anything going on in my life because they'll propose solutions that make all of my problems worse. My problems in life are that I'm tired and stretched thin and struggling to keep up, not that I'm bored and lonely and itching for new horizons to conquer.

And as mentioned my therapist is not helping. I bring this stuff up and he thinks that I'm just underselling myself and at this point delusional about my shortcomings. IDK man! The relationship between how much I can lift and my physical capabilities feels pretty loving objective!

The end result of this is that I feel like people love me, but the "me" that they love is, well, not me. I feel like I'm the counterfeit version of some other Tulip that people keep mistaking me for or some poo poo, like I'm a ghost haunting my own life somehow.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

an egg posted:

thank you, stash :h: as always, i am so sorry about the constant posting and deleting. i honestly don't know why some things i can write in my private journal and be happy while others i seem to need eyes on, even if only briefly - but it really does help.

as the song says, only love can break your heart. :(

ron, i so hope things improve for you soon. you seem like a kind person with a good grasp of reality and a determination to keep trying, even though there's so much poo poo piled on top of you. just having the presence of mind to keep going with therapy even when it doesn't produce concrete results is admirable. just to keep on going takes real strength.

Thanks. I admit part of it is fueled by seeing what lies below my current situation for poor folks who are struggling even more. I'm terrified to stop this treadmill purgatory of just going to doctors and therapists and keeping myself clean and not much else because I don't know what would happen but it would probably be worse.

Tulip

I don't know you personally and I can only offer advice/insight per my own experiences so please correct me if I"m wrong: it sounds like you're very exhausted and want to turn down the pace of life but are afraid of other people's expectations for you affecting how much they like you. I was in a similar situation. The better times where when I took them aside and explained I needed to slow down and I had some limitations. The worst parts were when I had total breakdowns, stopped doing anything and...collapsed their expectations for me. My life is largely a series of making good first impressions and then burning through them.

I can only recommend letting them and yourself down slowly instead of instantly and catastrophically.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

You've largely got it right Ron. I've definitely crashed and burned several times before - I have a bad habit of overcommitting - and I'm trying to make sure that I set my priorities and time use in an accurate, meaningful way.

I'm mostly just complaining about how I want to bounce ideas off of my friends and family, I want their input into how I should prioritize things, and I want to share my life with them, and I feel like they just flat out do not see me. The people who have known me for decades and come to me for help and express so much love and affection for me suddenly feel like chat bots when I need advice.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Yeah, I often overcommited out of a desire to people please, but as time has gone on I've moved to "i'll see what I can do" and then occasionally even doing it so people can't even be certain I'm just saying 'no'.

Also sometimes I just need to do nothing all day just to show I can and I suspect many other people feel that way at least sometimes. Its hard to decide what order you need to do things in if trying to do all the things has left you too tired to think about them.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Tulip posted:

You've largely got it right Ron. I've definitely crashed and burned several times before - I have a bad habit of overcommitting - and I'm trying to make sure that I set my priorities and time use in an accurate, meaningful way.

I'm mostly just complaining about how I want to bounce ideas off of my friends and family, I want their input into how I should prioritize things, and I want to share my life with them, and I feel like they just flat out do not see me. The people who have known me for decades and come to me for help and express so much love and affection for me suddenly feel like chat bots when I need advice.

people aren't monsters, but if you do turn yourself into a human robot to please they will lean on you. if by being your friends you mean you do things for them, that's not an intimate relationship, that's you as a service

and i don't mean you need to keep a tally, but doing things ceaselessly is a great way to receive praise and self-accomplishment without building intimacy. or rather, if you are keeping a tally remember that you've already been rewarded; if you want to cash it for emotional labor, you already spent it on affirmation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helluva
Feb 7, 2011

I'm an ex-athlete, ex-military bi-polar. I remember when I was a teenager running had me so HIGH that I was like an orgy hypeman of the Athletics team. Long distance, sprinting, hurdles, long jump ie. I did all the track & field I could.

In college, I studied linguistics so life got a little slow, but it exploded in my face after military service. I've been addicted to cannabis since I was 14 and god only knows I don't want to bore you with the rest of my pathology. I did military intelligence at the service and am a defense contractor now. I've worked with government missions as an interpreter and met very interesting people along the way. No one ever told me I was weird except for my haircut. I do underground publishing as a side gig.

I was sexually assaulted when I was 7, and I've worked through it like a king. Joined support groups, and saw many women relate with me. I forgave my assailant because being stupid was not his fault. Up until this point, I was pretty functional, if you consider self-medication being functional that is.

Then one day I met this gal on Tinder. She was a videographer, artist, and philosopher. Recited poetry like a songbird.

One day she warned me about the elephant in the room. It was that she was a sex worker. If she told me three months earlier I would have only asked her for a check-up. I got hospitalized the day after. Now I'm on mood stabilizers, atypical anti-psychotics for night, some for day. Serotonin disinhibitors to sleep, Lorazepam for anger attacks for 4 years. I still want to pimp-slap her so hard to this day.

But today I forgive you my dear. I'm going back to running. Life is too precious to stay mad at stupid people.

(The issue was that she didn't tell me she was a sex worker earlier.)

Helluva has issued a correction as of 15:39 on Jan 8, 2024