Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Zoro posted:

Unless I'm mistaken, wasn't John Kelly not allowed to reject the offer because he was a general in the army? Thus, the offer was an order from the Commander in Chief and therefore cannot be ignored?

You're thinking of McMaster, the current NSA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Zoro posted:

Unless I'm mistaken, wasn't John Kelly not allowed to reject the offer because he was a general in the army? Thus, the offer was an order from the Commander in Chief and therefore cannot be ignored?
Can the CoC order someone in the military to take on a civilian job? That's weird.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

squirrelzipper posted:

Man I hope you're right because imho Kelly is the man who's going to get poo poo done in the current administration. It would be awesome if he got fired, otherwise I think he'll get poo poo done.

I do not mean to worry you with what I'm about to say, but Kelly really isn't the person to worry about that. Kelly's job is just babysitting the president. He might be responsible for why the trans ban actually went into effect since he organizes stuff in the White House and may have done the legwork. But, the real person to worry about is Jeff Sessions, Betsy Devoys, and everyone else appointed to an administration head. It hasn't been reported on a lot, but they're actually doing a very effective job of dismantling their own institutions and setting us back decades. The political comic of Trump's appointees being suicide bombers being sent into those federal agencies come to mind as it is an apt metaphor for his picks.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Chadderbox posted:

You're thinking of McMaster, the current NSA.

My mistake.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Kilroy posted:

Can the CoC order someone in the military to take on a civilian job? That's weird.

I think so, but Kelly was a civ appointment. He could quit. I think it's McMaster who's on duty and would have to have an uncomfortable discussion to get out.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Lightning Lord posted:

Kale I don't think you're a secret Falangist, just an idiot with foot in mouth disease and can't be wrong syndrome but please just stop posting for a bit. There's a plethora of reasons why you should comply, and one of them is you're making the thread about yourself and it is hell on Earth

For what it's worth I am sorry about that whole pages of useless posts thing and since I see no other way in which that stops that doesn't involve completely removing myself from the thread as an active presence for a while regardless of where the discussion is at I have to agree with that advice.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Zoro posted:

I do not mean to worry you with what I'm about to say, but Kelly really isn't the person to worry about that. Kelly's job is just babysitting the president. He might be responsible for why the trans ban actually went into effect since he organizes stuff in the White House and may have done the legwork. But, the real person to worry about is Jeff Sessions, Betsy Devoys, and everyone else appointed to an administration head. It hasn't been reported on a lot, but they're actually doing a very effective job of dismantling their own institutions and setting us back decades. The political comic of Trump's appointees being suicide bombers being sent into those federal agencies come to mind as it is an apt metaphor for his picks.

Yeah no, you're 100% right. Sessions and DeVos and tillerson are basically disassembling the state. I'm not an American and I'm still terrified by what their doing.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Koalas March posted:

thank you for being terrible Kale, this derail brought some much needed levity

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Zoro posted:

I mean, when you say "setting us back decades" I'm thinking "undoing all the work of Bill Clinton and Barack Obama to fix the poo poo Reagan broke" and while that's too bad, it's also a statement of how ineffectual and contrary to their own (claimed) principles they were. Bill Clinton never really a had strong mandate, but Obama sure as hell did and he squandered it - let's never elect anyone who will fail in that way again, okay? poo poo isn't as hard to fix as you think, we just need people in office that are willing to do it, rather than hem and haw about conserving that precious political capital.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

How and why did a random poster (kale) blow up overnight

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

shrike82 posted:

How and why did a random poster (kale) blow up overnight
piss tape, he's the bed

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Kale posted:

So which is it am I a full blown racist now or just somebody that was being insensitive as to a perspective on race relations. Where are we landing this?

You're someone who doesn't know when to cut his losses and shut the gently caress up.

Kale posted:

since I see no other way in which that stops that doesn't involve completely removing myself from the thread as an active presence for a while

Please do.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Kale posted:

For what it's worth I am sorry about that whole pages of useless posts thing and since I see no other way in which that stops that doesn't involve completely removing myself from the thread as an active presence for a while regardless of where the discussion is at I have to agree with that advice.

Promises promises.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Kilroy posted:

I mean, when you say "setting us back decades" I'm thinking "undoing all the work of Bill Clinton and Barack Obama to fix the poo poo Reagan broke" and while that's too bad, it's also a statement of how ineffectual and contrary to their own (claimed) principles they were. Bill Clinton never really a had strong mandate, but Obama sure as hell did and he squandered it - let's never elect anyone who will fail in that way again, okay? poo poo isn't as hard to fix as you think, we just need people in office that are willing to do it, rather than hem and haw about conserving that precious political capital.

No, actually, it's quite a bit worse than that.

Is Anyone Home at Ben Carson's HUD?

Why The Scariest Nuclear Threat May Be Coming From Inside The White House

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Sep 2, 2017

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

Who needs a list there is only one poster who is the worst!

What the..? Where the hell did this come from? Do I even know you?

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Mr Interweb posted:

This is a trick that makes you see your own profile when you click the link. I don't know how it works, but, when I clicked it, I saw my own profile so I assume that's what's going on.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

haha

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Mr Interweb posted:

Check the link :v:

it just links to your own profile no matter who you are

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Zoro posted:

These three articles need to be posted again for folks who haven't read them.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Oh :lol:

I figured that might have been a possibility. On the other hand, I'm sure I have a lot of enemies too, so you can never be too sure :v:

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
jesus christ. 500 new posts and all that happened was kale's weekly meltdown.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

botany posted:

jesus christ. 500 new posts and all that happened was kale's weekly meltdown.
not true, someone just actually got caught by the profile trick :3:

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
What's a kale and why do we care?

n3wt
Dec 22, 2005

Boon posted:

What's a kale and why do we care?

It's bitter and needs roasting?
Apologies for the terrible word play.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/NumbersMuncher/status/903665287551221761

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

n3wt posted:

It's bitter and needs roasting?

noice one

n3wt
Dec 22, 2005

https://mobile.twitter.com/Sedna_51/status/903669621605191680

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Erostratus posted:

The President of the United States is literally a senile old man who prints out all his emails and screenshots from the internet.
I can't stand people who unnecessarily print out email. I used to have a manager whose .sig literally stated, "'Be green! Think twice before printing out this email message!" Yet she had a stack of her own emails printed out and on her desk.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Kilroy posted:

I think what they were referring to is more of a tradition in the military that any service member of any rank can and should jump at any order the president gives them. They are loyal to the office, although not necessarily always the man.. A lot of them didn't much care for Obama but they'd still stop a bullet for him for their nation.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

https://twitter.com/dwsNY/status/903785437298401281

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I'm about 40 pages behind but I was reading the stuff on Stephen Miller and has anyone ever posted the letter he wrote to his high school as a 16 year old in 2002? Its a doozy that shows the man has not changed or grown one iota from being a young dumb conservative/libertarian in the way we usually do once we get to college and/or experience the real world a bit:

http://www.surfsantamonica.com/ssm_site/the_lookout/letters/Letters-2002/MARCH_2002/03_27_2002_Political_Correctness_Out_of_Control.htm

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Dear Kale,

Sometimes the best course of action is to shut the gently caress up, even if you strongly believe you are right and that everyone is just dogpiling you.

Hope this helps,
A Concerned D&D Poster

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

enraged_camel posted:

Dear Kale,

Sometimes the best course of action is to shut the gently caress up, even if you strongly believe you are right and that everyone is just dogpiling you.

Hope this helps,
A Concerned D&D Poster

He already said so, and you're just adding to the white noise

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER

jojoinnit posted:

I'm about 40 pages behind but I was reading the stuff on Stephen Miller and has anyone ever posted the letter he wrote to his high school as a 16 year old in 2002? Its a doozy that shows the man has not changed or grown one iota from being a young dumb conservative/libertarian in the way we usually do once we get to college and/or experience the real world a bit:

http://www.surfsantamonica.com/ssm_site/the_lookout/letters/Letters-2002/MARCH_2002/03_27_2002_Political_Correctness_Out_of_Control.htm

This guy needed to be bullied more. Bullying works.

Also, we have people making decisions about Afghanistan and the Middle East who were 16 when it all kicked off. I mean, I was only 18, but that still unnerves me.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

Is that what a trump rally sounds like?

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Blurred posted:

This guy needed to be bullied more. Bullying works.

Also, we have people making decisions about Afghanistan and the Middle East who were 16 when it all kicked off. I mean, I was only 18, but that still unnerves me.

We have been edging towards forever wars for a while now it feels like. Hypercapitalism has made it too lucrative to keep machines of war going in a perpetual death cycle.

Hopefully when we have the backlash from Trump we can actually stop wasting so many lives and so much money on bullshit thousands of miles from home.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Kale posted:

Yeah I think I get it now and I accept that completely. ...
I'm still not happy it took so long for me to get an explanation on why my post didn't play well with some in a way that makes sense to me. ... They never ultimately came out in good faith in the long run to explain the nature of their grievance in a way that I could appreciate so much as yelled and tried to make memes about why I'm a horrible human being. Herd behavior basically.

Well not that it's happened once and you've learned your lesson, that should be that I guess.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3821460&pagenumber=2235&perpage=40#post475273698

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

RasperFat posted:

We have been edging towards forever wars for a while now it feels like. Hypercapitalism has made it too lucrative to keep machines of war going in a perpetual death cycle.

Hopefully when we have the backlash from Trump we can actually stop wasting so many lives and so much money on bullshit thousands of miles from home.

Edging towards forever wars? Dude, the Russians have been fighting the Chechens since motherfuckin' 1785.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
my rear end expands rapidly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

the old ceremony posted:

my rear end expands rapidly

An innovative solution to the Chechen-Russian conflict, certainly.

• Locked thread