Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Something deeply wrong with that family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

DarkCrawler posted:

Something deeply wrong with that family.

Its Evangelical Christians in general. It falls under the usual projection: They scream about pedophiles, premarital sex, etc and usually get caught doing exactly that. Good example is when the Child Marriage Law in Tennessee was being debated, banning child marriage, it was largely opposed by a lot of Evangelical groups. Hm. Wonder why....

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

CommieGIR posted:

Its Evangelical Christians in general. It falls under the usual projection: They scream about pedophiles, premarital sex, etc and usually get caught doing exactly that. Good example is when the Child Marriage Law in Tennessee was being debated, banning child marriage, it was largely opposed by a lot of Evangelical groups. Hm. Wonder why....

They also lack the capacity for empathy and shame. Once they label themselves as "of God" and make a show of attending church and being Christian, it absolves them of any terrible behavior. Not only because "god forgives them" but also because, in their mind, it automatically makes them a good person. It's crazy to me how many evangelicals excuse the naked greed, lying and overall grift of the people running their megachurches.

I suppose it's rather convenient to convince yourself that all you have to do is attend church and proclaim faith in order to feel good about the horrible poo poo you get up to. It's basically "I can't be bad. I believe in God"

Hardcore religious people of any stripe creep me the gently caress out.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

CommieGIR posted:

It's..it's almost like...idk, religion is used as a means to oppress and abuse. Can't be that simple, though...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

It's..it's almost like...idk, religion is used as a means to oppress and abuse. Can't be that simple, though...

I dunno if we should go full Dawkins about religion, there is a lot of progressive religious people and congregations who oppose this poo poo, the Evangelicals/Fundies are JUST more vocal. And I say that as an avowed athiest.

Most certainly gently caress Fundies and Evangelicals.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Sep 22, 2021

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

On the flip side of the coin, there are churches out there that are good communities that help each other out and care for one another. On a purely local level, you get some good people who behave well to one another.

Of course, that also presupposes that you're one of the "acceptable" people. The same people that happily welcome me turn around and talk about how Muslims can't be American because reasons.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

CommieGIR posted:

Apparently, it was because passing a law banning child marriage would interfere with them trying to overturn the law legalizing same-sex marriage, so it was basically a BOGO for these creeps.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Takoluka posted:

Apparently, it was because passing a law banning child marriage would interfere with them trying to overturn the law legalizing same-sex marriage, so it was basically a BOGO for these creeps.

Its not the first Child Marriage law they've fought against either, and these are the same groups that push stuff like Purity Vows and other creepy stuff on their female kids.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

CommieGIR posted:

Its not the first Child Marriage law they've fought against either, and these are the same groups that push stuff like Purity Vows and other creepy stuff on their female kids.

I imagine the Venn diagram of these people and the ones who claim that having a daughter is the ultimate cuck is basically a circle.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Yes and... it is among the the means to oppress and abuse. It's difficult to untwine at this point in America because the retrenchment of the southern conservatives into the church after desegregation. The culture is built on oppression and abuse. It had a leg cut out of from under it via the struggle for civil rights and desegregation, but the dudes holding "race mixing is communism" didnt just change their minds and admit defeat after Brown v Board, the whole project metastasized into the church as it was a place it was still culturally acceptable to segregate.

The larger parallel between systems of oppression is power, fear, and shame. So much of the sexual abuse was perpetuated because of the veil of shame around it. It was worse for a victim to come out against an abuser because they had cultural power and respect and the victim had none.

Proust Malone fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Sep 22, 2021

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Dawkins "burn all religion" type. It's just the GOP especially is using it solely as a weapon and it's loving gross.

You can't be holy and torture. Can't be righteous and malicious. Etc etc.

I grew up in a southern baptist home and as a kid, I earnestly took the kindness aspects to heart. Be kind, be compassionate, be decent. Now, all those things are viewed by "religious" conservatives as "weakness". It's sick.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

So much of American Christianity is just a really low effort way of feeling like you’re better than other people. Endless forgiveness for anything you do, and endless condemnation for everyone else.

Also Evangelical Christianity really primes the pump on magical thinking. Which is why we have this wonderful post-truth society. Anybody watched the school scene from Interstellar since November ‘16? It hits a lot differently now.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

This must be the COVID version of "Global Warming Might Be Happening but it's not man's fault"

https://www.breitbart.com/entertainment/2021/09/10/nolte-howard-stern-proves-democrats-want-unvaccinated-trump-voters-dead/

I can hear the squeaky Cult Logic Gears spinning while reading this.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Doctor Butts posted:

This must be the COVID version of "Global Warming Might Be Happening but it's not man's fault"

https://www.breitbart.com/entertainment/2021/09/10/nolte-howard-stern-proves-democrats-want-unvaccinated-trump-voters-dead/

I can hear the squeaky Cult Logic Gears spinning while reading this.

I mean....Kushner didn't want to combat COVID because they thought it would kill more Blue state voters.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

CommieGIR posted:

I mean....Kushner didn't want to combat COVID because they thought it would kill more Blue state voters.
Which is funny to me looking at where we’re at now, where the virus is spreading uncontrolled in the south in the reddest states

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

it's really funny how its always, always, always projection. The talk radio crowd are always paranoically envisioning exactly these sorts of scenarios with the evil leftist governments conspiring to kill them off. Because, apparently, that's exactly what they would do.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

it's really funny how its always, always, always projection. The talk radio crowd are always paranoically envisioning exactly these sorts of scenarios with the evil leftist governments conspiring to kill them off. Because, apparently, that's exactly what they would do.
Every Accusation Is A Confession.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

FlamingLiberal posted:

Which is funny to me looking at where we’re at now, where the virus is spreading uncontrolled in the south in the reddest states

Which was so predictable since anti-vaccine sentiment has been a huge Right Wing thing for ages, even moreso than crunchy left-wing groups.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

What’s funny is a lot of your bog standard conservative types used to sneer at anti-vaxxers because it was dumb poo poo for people from Commiefornia. A few short years of Orange False God and they are ardent believers in vaccine conspiracy theories.

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

Breitbart posted:

If I wanted to use reverse psychology to convince people not to get a life-saving vaccination, I would do exactly what Stern and the left are doing… I would bully and taunt and mock and ridicule you for not getting vaccinated, knowing the human response would be, Hey, gently caress you, I’m never getting vaccinated!

...No one wants to cave to a piece of poo poo like that, or a scumbag like Fauci, or any of the scumbags at CNNLOL, so we don’t. And what’s the result? They’re all vaccinated, and we’re not! And when you look at the numbers, the only numbers that matter, which is who’s dying, it’s overwhelmingly the unvaccinated who are dying, and they have just manipulated millions of their political enemies into the unvaccinated camp.

...Could it be…? Could it possibly be that the left has manipulated huge swathes of Trump voters into believing they are owning the left by not taking the life-saving Trump Vaccine?

I could be wrong.

Maybe the left isn’t that evil and sly.

What the absolute gently caress? There aren't enough :psyboom: in all of time and space to come even remotely close to explaining whatever the gently caress I'd call this line of thinking if I knew more about human psychology.

Liberal: "Hey buddy, put this on and pull the string in 45 seconds after you jump."

Conservative: "How dare you tell me what to do!" *leaves parachute in plane*

tek79 fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Sep 22, 2021

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

tek79 posted:

What the absolute gently caress? There aren't enough :psyboom: in all of time and space to come even remotely close to explaining whatever the gently caress I'd call this line of thinking if I knew more about human psychology.

Liberal: "Hey buddy, put this on and pull the string in 45 seconds after you jump."

Conservative: "How dare you tell me what to do!" *leaves parachute in plane*

Conservative, 200 feet from the ground: "That evil liberal tricked me into doing this by telling me not to!"

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008
I've been saying for years that conservatism is just thinly-veiled spite disguising itself as a political ideology, and then Breitbart just loving posts it

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007
Hmm. The reference to Howard Stern makes me wonder if he's being clever. Like the Howard Stern gambit was to be so provocative that his most dedicated listeners weren't fans but rather were hate-listening, but so what, they still generate advertising revenue. (I'm not sure the extent to which this was actually true, I just hazily remember it from Private Parts.)

This guy is doing the same thing, putting out some superficially dumb yet immensely provocative copy which gets good clickthrough from both the right and the left. From a purely cynical, mercenary standpoint it's A++ propaganda.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

This is what I can't stand. The worse something is, the more engagement it gets. It's yet another race to the bottom.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

indiscriminately posted:

This guy is doing the same thing, putting out some superficially dumb yet immensely provocative copy which gets good clickthrough from both the right and the left. From a purely cynical, mercenary standpoint it's A++ propaganda.

That's what I think, too. I think that there may be the tiniest modicum of thought put into this piece, essentially using the radical right's own language to attempt to get hesitant people to consider vaccinations when they otherwise would not read anything even close to this. I mean, I'm am pretty sure Nolte was vaccinated as soon as he could and he must recognize how much of a grift he is pulling.

It somewhat resembles human decency, so there's good reason to suspect it's not the case, but for those so far gone that they're reading Breitbart regularly, maybe it makes a bit of a difference, and maybe that person gets a vaccine that they wouldn't have, and maybe that person later isn't spreading it in an airport that your cousin with a young child had to be in.

It's dumb and stupid and childish, but what isn't on the right these days. If treating people like they are five helps get the population vaccinated, expect more pieces like this.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

So has Mike Lindell melted yet?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

ashpanash posted:

If treating people like they are five helps get the population vaccinated, expect more pieces like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DkQl0XigvM

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Well this is another thing that Fox will bring up every time they want to distract from something

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/cnns-chris-cuomo-accused-sexual-harassment-by-former-boss-says-he-apologized-2021-09-24/

CNN's Chris Cuomo accused of sexual harassment by former boss, says he apologized

quote:

NEW YORK, Sept 24 (Reuters) - A former ABC News executive accused CNN anchor Chris Cuomo of sexually harassing her, describing in an essay published on Friday in the New York Times how he grabbed her buttocks at a colleague's farewell party in 2005.

Shelley Ross had been Cuomo's boss when he worked at ABC, a role she had just left when Cuomo embraced her at the party in New York City, according to the essay.

"I can do this now that you're no longer my boss," Ross quotes Cuomo as telling her after he gripped her in a bear hug and moved one hand down to "firmly grab and squeeze the cheek of my buttock." Ross wrote that she pushed him away, and Cuomo then noticed her husband was behind her, watching.
Ross's essay reproduced an apologetic email from Cuomo sent within hours of the party in 2005 in which he wrote "i am ashamed...though my hearty greeting was a function of being glad to see you..."

Ross wrote in her essay that she does not want Cuomo fired, but asked instead that he "journalistically repent" by devoting airtime to reporting on sexual harassment in workplaces.

e: Found a Fox video on it and they specify that he did it when they were working together.
Lying already

OgNar fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 24, 2021

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I don’t think the “News” organization that paid $30M just to hush up O’Reilly’s victims really ought to pretending their poo poo doesn’t stink in this particular topic.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Hypocrisy is their bread and butter.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Pointing out right wing hypocrisy is a fool's game and a meaningless softball.

Also ew Cuomo wtf.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I will accept Cuomo's claim that it was a "hearty greeting" serving as "a function of being glad to see you" if we have confirmation that he did the same thing to his grandparents.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/DWTLaw/status/1441409548971958272?s=20

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Thanks for that recommend. I'm loving this.

And related to "china flu/china virus" I just keep asking conservatives who use the term, "why do you wanna help spread the China virus?"

Like, if they're idea is it's a bioweapon of china to hurt America, spreading it is helpful to china. So that's pretty bad, from a "patriot" stand point. So far, they get really bogged down by cognitive dissonance when I ask.

I've tried that a few times recently too. It absolutely breaks their brains in half.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Well they'd like to fight the virus with the various pastes and poisons that work, but Biden/Fauci is suppressing those so people have to get a 5G shot

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Well thats nice. But that just means Peter Thiel doesnt care/profit from destroying thedailybeast like he did from Gawker. (Or his giga dollar power level isnt enough to take on thedailybeast)

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Thing of it is, thy're not really patriots. They're just angry mean assholes who think that jamming a bunch of flags in their yards means something.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 4 minutes!

PhazonLink posted:

Well thats nice. But that just means Peter Thiel doesnt care/profit from destroying thedailybeast like he did from Gawker. (Or his giga dollar power level isnt enough to take on thedailybeast)

Dan Bongino is already a millionaire and not strapped for cash like Hogan was. That, and the Gawker lawsuit was over invasion of privacy, not defamation. It got tossed because literally nothing in the daily beast article was false.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Brother in law is so proud of his Tom MacDonald cds he just ordered even though he only heard of him less than two weeks ago.

He tells people that they need to “listen and wake up”.

Watching grifting help lead to radicalization is pretty insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

GodspeedSphere posted:

Good rec, I'm listening too.