Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Can't have disk eject issues if you never use discs *thinking man meme*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Or just discharge the static electricity from your PS4 every so often with a tender, loving embrace.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I dont know what Space PS4 you guys have but my PS4 was so goddamn loud in Rest Mode theres no point using it.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

WaltherFeng posted:

I dont know what Space PS4 you guys have but my PS4 was so goddamn loud in Rest Mode theres no point using it.

mine makes literally zero noise, the only indication that it isn't fully powered off is that the orange light pulses

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I might have to test it again but last time I downloaded a game in rest mode I had to turn it off so I could sleep

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

BisterdDave posted:

Suspend mode ran up my Witcher 3 in-game playtime clock by ~30 hours, haven't used it since.

By the time I got round to the DLC my witcher playtime was at 900 hours. It was the only game I had for 2 months, I bought my PS4 for it, and I lived alone. Rest mode was amazing but i'm annoyed it hosed up my counter.
It was the longest i'd ever spent playing one game (but not that long) and i'd have liked to know just how long it was.

I got spiderman in the sale and i think I might be really bad at it. I dont know how the game expects me to play it, there's just tons of poo poo happening all the time and being in the wrong place at the wrong time seemingly means you get hit and theres fuckall you can do about it. The number of times i've dodged an attack shown by my spidey sense straight into a rocket i'd already dodged is insane.
I'm playing on friendly difficulty and i'm dying every other encounter I have. I'm about 40% into the story now according to my save.

I also loving hate that the only way to heal is by fighting - and maybe after killing 5 dudes you can regenerate half of your life bar. I'd like it if I 'got' the combat system, but getting into a fight is just a chaotic scramble which i dont feel like I have a whole lot of agency over.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

WaltherFeng posted:

I might have to test it again but last time I downloaded a game in rest mode I had to turn it off so I could sleep

Sometimes if its real hot it will blow air for 2-3 mins after entering rest but it stops eventually

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

cubicle gangster posted:

By the time I got round to the DLC my witcher playtime was at 900 hours. It was the only game I had for 2 months, I bought my PS4 for it, and I lived alone. Rest mode was amazing but i'm annoyed it hosed up my counter.
It was the longest i'd ever spent playing one game (but not that long) and i'd have liked to know just how long it was.

I got spiderman in the sale and i think I might be really bad at it. I dont know how the game expects me to play it, there's just tons of poo poo happening all the time and being in the wrong place at the wrong time seemingly means you get hit and theres fuckall you can do about it. The number of times i've dodged an attack shown by my spidey sense straight into a rocket i'd already dodged is insane.
I'm playing on friendly difficulty and i'm dying every other encounter I have. I'm about 40% into the story now according to my save.

I also loving hate that the only way to heal is by fighting - and maybe after killing 5 dudes you can regenerate half of your life bar. I'd like it if I 'got' the combat system, but getting into a fight is just a chaotic scramble which i dont feel like I have a whole lot of agency over.

If you're feeling overwhelmed at times I suggest using lots of webs to take guys out of the fight temporarily or permanently, environmental attacks (L1+R1), and staying on the periphery and in the air a lot more. Familiarize yourself with how many crowd control options you have because as more enemy types come along and the game gets harder it will be tough to be smack in the middle of a pack of enemies and avoid all damage even if you dodge at the right time and in the right direction.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jun 14, 2019

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

VideoGames posted:

I remember that time, oh so many years ago, leaving a NES on overnight so I could complete Super Mario Brothers 2. If only suspend had existed....

I do too, only it was like 3 years ago and gently caress hell if I was going to restart Adventure Island on a new play session, game is brutal.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

You know, because of my skepticism of big show-off launch titles, I was worried I wouldn't enjoy Zero Dawn, but it's so incredibly good. Even the collectathon is fun. The vantage datapoints are surprisingly moving, and the way they treat the resigned desperation of an extinct civilization is very well done.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

cubicle gangster posted:

Use the starting suit power that makes you recharge your energy or whatever it's called, it's extremely useful

Also you don't have to beat everyone up - crowd control is way more important. Use your gadgets liberally, don't try to hoard them for some theoretical harder enemy. Webbing dudes to the ground/walls/whatever is usually much faster than punching them. I usually start fights by throwing a web bomb so it webs a couple dudes to the walls and then pick off anyone with launchers/rifles with the impact web before attempting to melee anyone. Web em up and them swing them into a wall, they'll stick. If you dive right in to the middle of a group you're gonna have a bad time.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I just save and quit my games like I have been my whole life. I save a whopping sixty seconds of time if I just suspend a game.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm remembering leaving my PS2 on overnight during those loving superbosses in FFXII with like fifty healthbars.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

cubicle gangster posted:

Lots of good advice so far but if you're an Arkham veteran, playing it like Arkham where you just stand in a group of guys and hope the counter button will save you will get you killed quick; that's what happened to me when I started the game. Swing around and use your web shooters! Spider-man stays on the move.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Mr E posted:

I saw someone trying to sell their launch model 360 that somehow didn't red ring the other day.

I miss the good old times, when gaming journalists were still trying to tell us that those were just isolated incidents and that there's nothing to worry about.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 14, 2019

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Lambert posted:

I miss the good old times, when gaming journalists were still trying to tell us that those were just isolated incidents and that there's nothing to worry about.

I was privy to some numbers because I was a GameStop manager at the time and hooooly poo poo those things were a loving mess. GameStop even officially stopped selling extended warranties on them for almost a year. I couldn't believe anyone on earth was acting like that wasn't a widespread problem.

Then right after that the DS Lite came out and there were "widespread" reports of a strange yellow-ish spot on the touchscreen if you held it at certain angles because literally every single person on earth that plays or/and writes about video games was too stupid to realize that, yes, if you make a concerted effort to hold something in just such a way that there is some glare on it, then there will be some glare on it.

Will literally put a gun in my mouth before I ever work in retail again.

I have to write a memoir about that or something, I worked at GameStop for just under ten years and still don't know how I didn't kill myself.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Its a stupid pet peeve of mine that games never just tell you when and how the in game timer works.

Like for a Jrpg I will make a point to go in to the party menu, then go to dashboard, wait, then go back and see if the timers changed.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/JackControllers/status/1139317730631409666

well okay then

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

After like 6 months probably

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Neo Rasa posted:

I have to write a memoir about that or something, I worked at GameStop for just under ten years and still don't know how I didn't kill myself.

This stuff is always fascinating to me, I'll buy your memoir!

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

lmao nice one phil mate.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
But still only America.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

You could probably just make an NA account and download it to play on your Euro-region machine if you really want to. You can do that sort of thing with the multitude of JP-exclusive PS4 MMO games although you might suffer a greater ping in doing so (and may have to play the game on that account because sometimes JP F2P/MMO games won't accept a foreign account).

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I will trade my American liberty to play PSO2 to anyone for a single pastry from your local cuisine.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

veni veni veni posted:

On the flip side the story is pretty mediocre and there is too much backtracking on the relatively small map (There is a second map I haven't opened up yet)

Edit: It also really trickles out the content. I feel like I am what should be almost half way through the game and I've only seen the 2 zombie types that are there at the start, and getting to the point where you can buy anything cool at the camp takes forever.

You aren't even a third of the way through the game if you haven't unlocked the second map.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

My only gaming experience has been N64, gameboys, Gamecube 360 and PS4 so I probably have a skewed idea of leaving stuff on since I did that multiple times playing Melee on the Gamecube.

Nowadays, things are so complicated that I just pull the battery of my phone and my laptop when I'm not using them and dissasemble my PS4 when I'm not playing anything. But I don't have any pets or kids so that probably isn't feasible for most of the other people in here.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I don't care about Death Stranding. A hyped up garbage game from an overrated game developer that has been in development for far too long. A wannabe dime a dozen Japanese director wishing to make it big in the entertainment scene. I don't have the time nor patience for this over infatuated game. It's probably another MGS4 of cutscenes and 15 minutes of gameplay. No thanks

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sir this is a Wendy’s

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

a.lo posted:

I don't care about Death Stranding. A hyped up garbage game from an overrated game developer that has been in development for far too long. A wannabe dime a dozen Japanese director wishing to make it big in the entertainment scene. I don't have the time nor patience for this over infatuated game. It's probably another MGS4 of cutscenes and 15 minutes of gameplay. No thanks

uh cool i guess

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I would like to see the other 11 Hideo Kojimas please. I have a dime.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

a.lo posted:

I don't care about Death Stranding.

You clearly do. The passion is palpable.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

a.lo posted:

It's probably another MGS4 of cutscenes and 15 minutes of gameplay. No thanks

this game you made in your head sounds like it owns

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

PantsBandit posted:

I would like to see the other 11 Hideo Kojimas please. I have a dime.

https://kotaku.com/deadly-standing-is-the-next-masterpiece-from-genius-dev-1827151663

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Death Stranding is an asset flip of digitized Reedus from a project that failed so bad its demo is illegal to distribute.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

"Failed" is a rather disingenuous phrasing of the Silent Hills situation, it's really more like the creator got unpersoned by the studio

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Escobarbarian posted:

Sir this is a Wendy’s

:golfclap:

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

a.lo posted:

what else don't you care about i have to update the spreadsheet

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Three years is far too long???

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
That whole post is gold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

It's never going to stop being funny seeing a meltdown.