Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Onion Knight posted:

Pull out the drawers and reinstall them in a gradient.

Hah its not that obvious outside the camera but good idea.

wormil posted:

Looking good. I have a sack full of those exact same pulls that I scavenged from something, somewhere at sometime; I don't know where they came from but I think they are identical. Wait, how big is this thing? It looks perfect for a tool chest.

Its 27x27x17. I made a tablesaw dovetail jig for the drawers then the fronts are just veneered pieces left over from re-sawing. It would make a good tool chest. I already made a shittier one for myself.

The pulls were the least ugly option in the $1 range at Lowes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

blindjoe posted:

When you are saying belt sander, do you mean the table mounted kind, or the hand tool kind?
I think I burnt out my craftsman from the 70's, so need a new one. Any recommendations?
Id like a big one, but currently have no more bench space for one.

I have both, but when leveling cutting boards I use an old hand tool kind I inherited from my grandfather. I have a video of it in action here.

For my table mounted kind I mostly use that for light shaping. Typically to quickly get small things to fit flush that don't warrant actual planing.
I really wanna build a belt grinder/strip sander so I can start dabbling in knife making. Unsure if I should use John Heisz's plans or Matthias Wandels' plans.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Free Market Mambo posted:

That thing is sweet, I've been meaning to buy a hex bit adapter for my old yankee screwdriver.

Yesterday I just finished teaching a spoon carving course, and now there's big interest in a "make a stool from a tree" course for autumn. Looks like I get to hit things with axes and receive pay for it!

Cool beans. Hell, kids today don't even know that a yankee was as hi-tech as you could go back in the day before cordless

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

I'm sure you'd be happy with either. I have a set of John's plans and they are top notch and has a disc sander; however I like Matthias' because it has a dust collection port.

Edit; you actually linked to John's 2x72 grinder, yeah I would build it first.

wormil fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 19, 2016

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I built Matthias' strip sander instead of Heisz's belt grinder. They have pretty different uses. The strip sander is awesome for weird shapes and curves. Everything that a disc sander won't do, and a normal 6x48 belt grinder is way too imprecise to do.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I've built several of Matthias projects and they are well thought through. The 2x72 grinder is on my todo list however.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
In the area of wood treatment I am going to be mixing up a new concoction because the stuff I've used so far isn't cutting it. It would be okay if I had a place to put my outdoor furniture during winters but alas I don't. So they get snowed on, and the snow melts and rinse and repeat + loong wet autumns.

Both chairs I've made have black spots here and there now despite treatment. So i am making my own stuff now based on a commercial recipe using a high grade pine tar, raw linseed oil, tung oil and varnish.

A common and well liked treatment for decks and the like here is "Roslagsmahogny" which is a simple recipe of 1/3rd each of high grade pine tar, linseed oil and turpentine, this recipe is a spinoff on this. The proportions are more like
15% varnish (or resin, but I am planning to just use some epifanes which is phenolic resin + UV resistance)
15% tar
20% turpentine
50% oil (tung & linseed)

The pine tar will act as a preservative to prevent mold. Anyone done anything like this recipe? I think it's rather unlikely as pine tar usage like this seems to have been a local thing to scandinavia.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I'm looking to make a piece of outdoors furniture, and was thinking about a similar treatment mixture, but have never worked with tar before.

In other words, I can add next to nothing to this question , but am interested in its outcome.

Would you be using actual turpentine, or white spirits?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Actual turpentine is what is recommended. I wanted to buy this product, but not available in Finland and the never bothered answering about shipping to sweden:
http://www.dalfrid.com/mobeloljor.html

Also the reclining chairs in those pictures, I'd love to make something like that. I think it's a copy of the titanic deck chair, anyone know if you can get plans for chairs like that?

I also plan to use roslagsmahogny on my deck. Some people like the wood turning gray but I hate it.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
Has anyone here moved long distances with their woodworking tools? I don't have much, a jobsite table saw, a 13in planer, a compound miter saw.

Also an assortment of wood.

Is it worth bringing the wood or just give it away?

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

MickRaider posted:

If you live close to me I would just give it away (to me).

I guess it depends on what you have. Maybe try selling it on craiglist.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I've never heard those names for it but the pine tar finish is as old as the hills. Never tried it but I've had a quart of pine tar in my amazon cart forever so I'm curious how it turns out.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

MickRaider posted:

Has anyone here moved long distances with their woodworking tools? I don't have much, a jobsite table saw, a 13in planer, a compound miter saw.

Also an assortment of wood.

I moved from Iowa to western Pennsylvania with all my stuff. You better believe I brought that wood, even the lovely maple bowl blanks that I still haven't touched, four years later.

e: And now this summer it looks like I'm moving back, guess what I fully intend to bring along! :v:

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Feb 19, 2016

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
You're going back to Iowa? After escaping?

kidding, I don't know anything about Iowa

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Bad Munki posted:

I moved from Iowa to western Pennsylvania with all my stuff. You better believe I brought that wood, even the lovely maple bowl blanks that I still haven't touched, four years later.

e: And now this summer it looks like I'm moving back, guess what I fully intend to bring along! :v:

a fully equipped Amish woodshop?

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

wormil posted:

You're going back to Iowa? After escaping?

kidding, I don't know anything about Iowa

:colbert: There's nothing wrong with Iowa. You just have to really like corn.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.
Some more dust collector chat. I made a pressure gauge to test the blower my father in-law got me.

The specified 400Pa of static pressure is not a lie. Converted to moon measurements it makes just shy of 2" water column of vacuum. 48mm.

Then for shits and giggles I tested the shop vac, which had no issues sucking the bucket dry, even with the highest point of the clear tube being over 2m up.
After getting a longer bit of wood it gave up at just under 240cm, or about 94". Which is pretty much the 23.5kPa Kärcher later gave as the factory spec.

However the Ebm blower my father in-law sourced, does have an explosion proof motor, so that is going to be the driver for the general air scrubber.
For now I'll use the shop vac to power the dust collection.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Got this fucker lifted in place, holy crap I don't want to do it again.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
You're going to have to take it down when, in two years, you come to loathe the look of unfinished drywall.

Ask me how I know.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Ah well at least this DC is in a small storage room and not my workshop where I painted the ceiling and walls. It's on the other side of the wall.

The plan is to have a 6" pipe come through the wall, into the cyclone I plan to build, then after it I'll have some yet undetermined design where I can direct the airflow outside or back via these big .5 micron filters I've bought.

sirr0bin
Aug 16, 2004
damn you! let the rabbits wear glasses!
Did you install it with vibration isolation pads or anything? That thing is a beast.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Nope I never gave that much thought to be honest, perhaps they could be fitted later if needed. I think the sound from the air stream might be worst though so I am thinking of a muffler so it doesn't make a lot of noise when venting outdoors.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
My desk is falling apart, and I think it might be cool at some point to make my own one. I know 0 about woodworking, is this something I could do a half decent job of as a complete beginner? Would it be more expensive than just buying one? My dad probably has a lot of tools, he used to be really into woodworking as has a tonne of those Fine Woodworking magazines from the OP.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

I know 0 about woodworking, is this something I could do a half decent job of as a complete beginner? Would it be more expensive than just buying one?

1) Depends on your expectations. Don't go into it thinking you'll make this on your first attempt. You'll be disappointed. I'm saying from experience.
2) Do you want a desk, or do you want the experience of building a desk? There's a reason we import cheap crap from China. Our time is valuable, so if you just want something that looks good, you'll never even break even on the time you'll put into this thing. On the other hand, if the thought of using your hands to manipulate wood does funny things to your boy/girl parts, woodworking is a lot of fun, so who cares how long it takes?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I like fiddling with cars and it feels good when I spend like 4 hours swearing at it and then finally its done and works so I figure I'd like this. I think it'd be cool to look at it and say I built that.

Also I'd like not having the hollow poo poo Ikea thing I'm using now that I've had since I was like 12. I'm not expecting to make art but I'd like to do it myself unless it's way more expensive. But making something decent yourself has to be cheaper than buying something decent right?

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Feb 21, 2016

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Yeah, its kind of hard to beat an Ikea gallant if you just want a flat surface on which to place things.

I'm all about woodworking as a hobby so I don't buy garbage, but the time investment is large and the initial outlay in equipment can be as well.

Are you wanting to work mainly with sheet goods or hardwoods? If hardwoods, do you want to work primarily with power tools or hand tools?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Thats exactly how little I know, I don't know. It would depend on how much my dad still has in usable condition, he has tools from anywhere between a few years ago all the way back to the 60s. I also expect I'll have to read up on it quite a bit and figure out what I'm capable of doing with the tools I've got and learn about design. I'm not worried about the time investment.

What I want is a solid block of some sort of timber that isn't a hollow box filled with weird chipboard shapes like this current ikea pos is. I'm asusming that means hardwood and what I have now is sheet goods.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 21, 2016

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

My desk is falling apart, and I think it might be cool at some point to make my own one. I know 0 about woodworking, is this something I could do a half decent job of as a complete beginner? Would it be more expensive than just buying one? My dad probably has a lot of tools, he used to be really into woodworking as has a tonne of those Fine Woodworking magazines from the OP.

It's not auto rebuilding, it's a different craft. If your old desk is worth keeping, you might be able to refurb it, having all (or most) of the cut pieces available; and gain a valuable lesson in your own skill level. Some fellows are born woodworkers, you might be one.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Thats exactly how little I know, I don't know. It would depend on how much my dad still has in usable condition, he has tools from anywhere between a few years ago all the way back to the 60s. I also expect I'll have to read up on it quite a bit and figure out what I'm capable of doing with the tools I've got and learn about design. I'm not worried about the time investment.

What I want is a solid block of some sort of timber that isn't a hollow box filled with weird chipboard shapes like this current ikea pos is. I'm asusming that means hardwood and what I have now is sheet goods.

Ah, well that clears that up. Often times you can combine 3/4" hardwood plywood with solid lumber. Like if you want upper shelving over it, hardwood plywood is the way to go imo.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Hardwood is a lot more expensive than sheet material, note. You can expect to spend hundreds of dollars just on materials for a decent-sized desk if you want to build it from hardwood.

On the other hand, you could build a really sturdy frame from pine or douglas fir (which are cheap but soft and knotty) and then cover over the frame with sheet material like a maple veneered plywood. That's honestly the route I would take if I wanted to build a desk; I'm not a novice but I'm definitely not a master craftsman either. It simplifies the task significantly when you don't have to worry about stuff like making a good flat surface or jointing boards together

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Yeah refurbing this thing would basically mean rebuilding it, although I'm not against building this exact desk from actually good materials + changes to stuff that annoys me about it. This entire desk is basically chipboard with fake covering to make it look like timber.

After thinking about it though, I definitely do want the experience of making my own desk. If I can manage it, I think a nice bit of solid polished timber with plywood shelving would be awesome but it depends on cost and my ability to do it as babbies first proper woodworking project.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

What you have now is MDF covered with a thin laminate.

You can make something quite nice out of sheet goods. In fact, if it's a beginning project and you don't have a large number of specialized tools (or at least one *really good* table saw) you're going to be able to produce something of better quality out of sheet goods. Just searching "Plywood Desk" on google should give you plenty of ideas. For a first project, I'd recommend going with 3/4" plywood and pocket hole construction. All you'll really need is a circular (or ideally track) saw and something like a Kreg Jig.

e: If you want to get fancy, you could do something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w5hIjwMAM0

Hubis fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Feb 21, 2016

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
^^That's a great suggestion for a first project/desk.

On the topic of desks, mine is 99% complete, just waiting on a couple more knobs and hinges which should be coming this week. It's taken about 4 months to build this with 3 years of furniture building experience as a hobby. I'll post some more photos once I move it out of my garage and into a better space.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

babbies first proper woodworking project.

I recommend looking up Steve Ramsey on YouTube, he does a lot of beginner projects and limited tools projects and doesn't overcomplicate anything. He's built a desk in the past so you'll have an idea of what's involved.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Mathias Wandel also has some nice really simple table builds up on YouTube which you could use as a starting point for building your own desk.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
It's weird,the ikea desk is ~5cm deep and the inside is full of some straight bits of chipboard and literal cardboard. It's really quite terrible.

Something similar to that video looks pretty easily doable for me actually, and it looks pretty hard to gently caress up. My dad has a tonne of tools from his building business and he inherited a bunch of professional and hobby level tools from both of my Grandfathers, I'm actually really keen to talk to him about it in the morning.

I'll check out those channels when I wake up.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 21, 2016

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.
That's a torsion box, it's pretty much the cheapest way to make a large, stable surface.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Paul Sellers recommended these ones from Lee Valley a few years ago: http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.aspx?p=49980&cat=1,41659

Update; I took your advise on a vise and bought what I believe is the same one except sold by Woodcraft, the Eclipse 10". Amazon had an open box for $80 so I pulled the trigger (or clicked the mouse button) on it. Lee Valley says theirs are manufactured in Europe, I don't see any information about where the Eclipse is made but it looks identical.

This is looking awesome!

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I think my next tool project will be a proper bench, but I can't justify the time to make a solid wood woodworking bench right now.

I'm probably going to resurface my existing assembly table with a massive stack of MDF like Cosman does in this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtyrGlVWiTA

Then add bench dogs etc to it. Anyone ever tried something like that ? Seems good enough in his video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Never had a MDF bench top but I sold a bunch of beech dog hole inserts to a guy who did, so not very durable I'd guess.