Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Daaaaaa dun. Daaaaaa dun. Daaaaa dun dada, daaaaaaa dun dada, DUN DUN DUN DA!

:drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

A question for Timby and the other GB mavens: did the original script have a theme/s (or at least a clearer or more obvious theme) and characters arcs? I know that Ivo Shandor was written into the script and was going to be played by Paul Reubens.

No, Reubens was the original pick for Gozer, when Gozer was originally depicted as just a dude in a suit: Think the G-Man from Half-Life as sort of an analogue. That was changed when Reitman pointed out that the movie already had a dude in a suit as a villain.

To my knowledge, the Ghost Smashers script in its entirety has never surfaced.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It has no central theme. It has no moral or message. It is the perfect entertainment device. And it will not stop until the busting makes you feel good.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

To say Ghostbusters has no theme is preposterous. To put it another way, to say that Seinfeld is a show about "nothing" is another way to say the show is about narcissists. That's the same theme as the hosed up Seinfeld spiritual sequels, Curb Your Enthusiasm and Always Sunny.

There are plenty of things that Seinfeld was about: most typically narcissism, isolation (specifically the isolation caused by breaking or questioning social conventions), materialism (often by characters obsessing over one tiny detail), adolescence (or the refusal to mature), etc etc.. But it also wasn't a typical sitcom where the characters would end each episode with a fake sentimental resolution where they all hug and make up and find an end to the episode's tension and reinstate the status quo, instead it had the infamous "no hugging, no learning" rule where the characters never resolved anything and never learned their lessons. Seinfeld had thematic concepts but it never made thematic statements which is probably why people were so ready to jump on the "It's a show about nothing!" bandwagon.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

There are plenty of things that Seinfeld was about: most typically narcissism, isolation (specifically the isolation caused by breaking or questioning social conventions), materialism (often by characters obsessing over one tiny detail), adolescence (or the refusal to mature), etc etc.. But it also wasn't a typical sitcom where the characters would end each episode with a fake sentimental resolution where they all hug and make up and find an end to the episode's tension and reinstate the status quo, instead it had the infamous "no hugging, no learning" rule where the characters never resolved anything and never learned their lessons. Seinfeld had thematic concepts but it never made thematic statements which is probably why people were so ready to jump on the "It's a show about nothing!" bandwagon.

Also because of that being the thing they call the show over and over within it

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Seinfeld had thematic concepts but it never made thematic statements which is probably why people were so ready to jump on the "It's a show about nothing!" bandwagon.

corn in the bible posted:

Right, but knowing these two things, you can easily pick up on the other thing. That's what a theme is.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Instead of trying to find the theme to Ghostbusters, what is the theme of other movies if GB is the only movie wiithout a theme?

What is the theme of A Hard Day's Night or Help!? They're all films about a quartet of people who have an adventure but you can hardly say that getting to the concert is a theme, either.

Eastern Religion vs. Colonialism? The end of the film is the plucky Brits and their converted fan turning the tables on their rivals to make them attack one another. Ultimately, their experience will in reality make them messengers and pundits of the philosophies they have fought against.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Seinfeld himself is apparently pretty annoyed that that phrase caught on as much as it did, according to this Reddit AMA:

Jerry Seinfeld posted:

The pitch for the show, the real pitch, when Larry and I went to NBC in 1988, was we want to show how a comedian gets his material. The show about nothing was just a joke in an episode many years later, and Larry and I to this day are surprised that it caught on as a way that people describe the show, because to us it's the opposite of that.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

JediTalentAgent posted:

Instead of trying to find the theme to Ghostbusters, what is the theme of other movies if GB is the only movie wiithout a theme?

What is the theme of A Hard Day's Night or Help!? They're all films about a quartet of people who have an adventure but you can hardly say that getting to the concert is a theme, either.

Eastern Religion vs. Colonialism? The end of the film is the plucky Brits and their converted fan turning the tables on their rivals to make them attack one another. Ultimately, their experience will in reality make them messengers and pundits of the philosophies they have fought against.

Exactly.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

JediTalentAgent posted:

What is the theme of A Hard Day's Night

One of the major themes playing throughout the film is the tension between the benefits and drawbacks of fame. Their fame gives them freedom but also imprisons them and they can never find a happy medium between the two extremes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I actually like the "garage band" interpretation, it sticks pretty well. If we carry that over into the second film, it works especially well, because fame is fleeting and they always forget your name.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

precision posted:

I actually like the "garage band" interpretation, it sticks pretty well. If we carry that over into the second film, it works especially well, because fame is fleeting and they always forget your name.

Proton Packs are electric guitars. Winston is that one member of the group who comes in after they're formed. Peck is an PMRC guy wanting them to put their lyrics on albums and then blames them for a satanic craze hitting the populace. It's no coincidence that their debut in an upscale ballroom catapults them to stardom and why the remake has the new team making their debut on a literal rock concert stage.

Dear god...

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

You still haven't said what you think the theme of Ghostbusters is. Not even trying to be a dick, I'm just curious what you think.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Inescapable Duck posted:

Is that where the 'They just chuck the recycling in the street when you're not looking' urban legends/angry suburban white dad conspiracy theories come from?

It's not a conspiracy theory, corporations realised to qualify for tax breaks they simply had to ship recyclable materials back to their "factories", they were not required to use all the materials reclaimed which lead to a hilarious charade of companies trucking in materials, signing them in then shipping them straight back out to landfills.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Alan_Shore posted:

You still haven't said what you think the theme of Ghostbusters is. Not even trying to be a dick, I'm just curious what you think.

The themes obviously exist because they were carried over directly into the Ghostbusters music video (which features the literal theme song). Here are a few:

-Charlatanism / hucksterism.
-Advertisement, marketing and desire.
-Celebrity and artifice.
-Oppressive urbanity.
-Fraught gender dynamics (with tentative links to race and class conflict).
-Jokey psychosexual horror.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The sex stuff in Ghostbusters isn't something you see in many other non flat out horror movies, and is surprising for a film that started a franchise that got a lot of money out of children's cartoons. (then again, that wasn't exactly uncommon in the 80s)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Knowing about Aykroyd's personal beliefs I suspect that one of the themes of Ghostbusters might also be "Sometimes conspiracy theories are correct, don't let The Man hold you back from what you know is true" :tinfoil:

After all, Walter Peck and the Dean and the mayor and everyone else who stands in their way would have been 100% correct and justified in their actions except for the fact that there actually was an evil conspiracy to bring about an end to the world in this one specific case.

Edit: Peck was right in any case, Egon confirms in the "That's a big Twinkie!" scene that the containment grid isn't holding up too well.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Sep 10, 2017

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Timby posted:

No, Reubens was the original pick for Gozer, when Gozer was originally depicted as just a dude in a suit: Think the G-Man from Half-Life as sort of an analogue.

It's funny, I was originally going to reply with what you did, about Reubens apparently meant for Gozer, but according to the fan wiki (which might be incorrect, but when it comes to gb fans/nerds, maybe they're pedantic enough to have this correct) he was thought of as someone to play Shandor.

http://ghostbusters.wikia.com/wiki/Gozer

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Ghostbusters is just a remake of Meatballs.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Alan_Shore posted:

In addition to all the stuff SMG has pointed out, all of which is pretty evident, the slobs vs. snobs thing, ie. class warfare, literally covers a ton of ground in Ghostbusters.

If you know a little contemporary geography, late 70's-early 80's SoHo, below which the Ghostbusters can afford to buy a condemned firehouse, was utterly run down and the center of NYC's heroin problem. In '82, New York City, almost unfathomably, was set to be the next Detroit. To contrast, the upper West Side, where the Shandor building is located, has signified mega-wealth pretty much since Central Park was zoned.

Venkman and Spengler bitch about having to get real jobs, get chewed out for being tenured slobs and whatever, sucking off the teat of grant money. Winston will "believe whatever you say" as long as there's a paycheck in it. The scene where Tully bangs on the restaurant doors before being ignored by the patrons is particularly pointed, even if you don't know that specific restaurant is a byword for "very fancy restaurant", Tavern on the Green. It's that New York City's wealthiest and most elite are so inured to homelessness that it's not thought remarkable, it's just part of the local color.

So there's a lot of ugly undercurrent to it, it's just expressed in a very mild and humorous way because the "slobs" are middle class white guys that own shops in Greenwich Village, and the "snobs" are Big Government (the EPA, that drat Liberal mayor) that they're trying to get over on. As in, they're libertarians.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Sep 11, 2017

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Are you ready for the ghosts?
Are you ready for Gozer?
Are you ready for the Ecto-1,
the spooky fun,
and a whole lot of fooling around

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

How about a Ghostbusters movie from the ghosts' POV?

https://www.avclub.com/the-ghostbus...SocialMarketing

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Davros1 posted:

How about a Ghostbusters movie from the ghosts' POV?

https://www.avclub.com/the-ghostbus...SocialMarketing

On the one hand, I've hated almost every "from the monster's point of view" story ever. On the other hand, I doubt this will be serious.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Plus wasn't about every fourth ep of the animated series already a story "from the ghosts perspective".

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

remember when the cartoon did an episode based on citizen kane.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Groovelord Neato posted:

remember when the cartoon did an episode based on citizen kane.

yup. Spooks Illustrated, a sled called Rosebud & a giant possessed sphinx

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There was also the one where they time travelled and captured the Ghosts of Christmas Past, Present and Future.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Inescapable Duck posted:

There was also the one where they time travelled and captured the Ghosts of Christmas Past, Present and Future.

Which was the best, because it turned Scrooge into an even bigger dickhead.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I mentioned this about a year or so ago but McCarthy and maybe another member of the GB2016 cast did voice work for a still-unreleased animated movie called "B.O.O." Described on IMDB as "Dedicated to protecting humans from evil hauntings, the agents of B.O.O. have a secret weapon: they are ghosts themselves."

It still seems unreleased and it's a Dreamworks production with the director of the Emoji Movie listed as attached, but I wonder if this might be a case of it being a dead project that Sony/GCorps acquired and is maybe going to try salvage what they can and rework it into something else with a new director?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The only way to salvage anything mccarthys in is to toss it into a garbage fire.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
To be fair McCarthy isn't terrible: she is funny in a good role and I was impressed when she played it straight in St Vincent.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
You just can't build an entire production around McCarthy imo. She needs to be a part of a whole, not the entire reason for the movie existing. She's not funny enough to carry stuff on her own. Then again I feel the same way about basically every popular comedian currently working, and yet Kevin James continues to make tens of millions and get high ratings.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 5, 2017

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Basebf555 posted:

You just can't build an entire production around McCarthy imo. She needs to be a part of a whole, not the entire reason for the movie existing. She's not funny enough to carry stuff on her own. Then again I feel the same way about basically every popular comedian currently working, and yet Kevin James continues to make tens of millions and get high ratings.

To be completely fair to Kevin James, which I know is unpopular, the dude got big on a sitcom where by definition he had other people around doing stuff.

There's no defense for PUAL BLART but I think his milquetoast character is perfect for Untitled Schlubby Dad Sitcom Project or whatever it is he does most of the time. There's a place for people like that and I guess good for him on managing to find it...

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

To be completely fair to Kevin James, which I know is unpopular, the dude got big on a sitcom where by definition he had other people around doing stuff.

There's no defense for PUAL BLART but I think his milquetoast character is perfect for Untitled Schlubby Dad Sitcom Project or whatever it is he does most of the time. There's a place for people like that and I guess good for him on managing to find it...

Agreed, half the reason people watched King of Queens was for Jerry Stiller.

James is like Jerry Seinfeld, in that his stand-up is pretty impressive just from the standpoint of how clean it is. He manages to get laughs 100% purely through his delivery, the bits themselves aren't really anything unique or special. I just don't think he's talented enough to be making millions starring in movies, or that he should be able to just waltz into any network and star in a sitcom(which he can), but the market disagrees with me.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

Counterpoint: Spy is a really good movie.

But that was also a pretty different movie for her as she was playing the straightwoman.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Timeless Appeal posted:

Counterpoint: Spy is a really good movie.

But that was also a pretty different movie for her as she was playing the straightwoman.

I haven't seen that, but from what I read about it I think it actually works to prove my point. She's part of the team in that movie, kinda like Ghostbusters. A main player, but not the only thing the entire movie revolves around. Am I off-base on that?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

She starts as the assistant/desk jockey to a field agent. When that agent dies and they need an unknown face to continue, she volunteers and it is revealed that she actually trained to be an agent when she was younger. From there on it pretty much is a one woman show. Jason Statham plays another field agent, but he is an arrogant macho who actually makes things worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_6w6hBnXAg

It definitely has that same "improv 30 lines and we'll pick the 3 best ones" style of comedy.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Oct 5, 2017

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mierenneuker posted:

She starts as the assistant/desk jockey to a field agent. When that agent dies and they need an unknown face to continue, she volunteers and it is revealed that she actually trained to be an agent when she was younger. From there on it pretty much is a one woman show. Jason Statham plays another field agent, but he is an arrogant macho who actually makes things worse.

But much more of a reserved character? Sounds really interesting, I'll have to check it out.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

She starts of as more reserved character but is forced to come up with a rather vulgar, aggressive identity to get close to the antagonist (and to deal with Statham trying to mess up her undercover op). Does that sound like a typical McCarthy character? Well, it is.

I thought Spy was an enjoyable comedy, but if you don't like McCarthy this movie won't change that.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
While this is a very good replica I feel like whoever spent the time on this is not going to recoup their investment: https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cadillac-F...1%257Ciid%253A1

• Locked thread