Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

bewbies posted:

hahaha he sure did!

Bertuzzi-d.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Thufir posted:

- Attempt to call a puck over glass penalty even though we're not in the NHL.

Did a ref seriously try to call a delay of game for this? :lol:

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Dangerllama posted:

Did a ref seriously try to call a delay of game for this? :lol:

Yeah, the opposing goalie came out to play a puck and put it over the glass.The nearest ref put his arm up and called delay of game. He was right in front of their bench so they immediately started giving him poo poo about it and the 2nd ref came over and straightened him out.

e: Then my team's captain said "if you want to call something, how about calling one of the hooks I keep getting?" and the ref put him in the box for "abuse of an official" or whatever.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Thufir posted:

Yeah, the opposing goalie came out to play a puck and put it over the glass.The nearest ref put his arm up and called delay of game. He was right in front of their bench so they immediately started giving him poo poo about it and the 2nd ref came over and straightened him out.

Under USA Hockey the puck over glass rule applies to goalies. Skaters have to put it over the glass deliberately to get a penalty, but it's automatic for goalies.

(Don't ask me why, I think it's stupid too.)

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

e: What lynx said.

Shittiest ref-doesn't-know-the-rules call I ever had was when I kept getting called offsides for taking the puck into the zone backwards. Ref called me like three times. I just kept looking at him like :psyduck:

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Huh, so I guess the other ref / everyone else was wrong :psyduck:

Though we don't have USA Hockey refs, so who knows.

If anyone's curious it's rule 610:

"d) A minor penalty shall be assessed to a goalkeeper who shoots
the puck directly (non-deflected) outside of the playing area,
except when the puck inadvertently leaves the playing area
in a location that is not protected by glass or screen."

Thufir fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Sep 19, 2013

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I overheard a phone call today confirming that the Stanley cup will be in our office in a few weeks for the day. We are going to have a few hours to take photos with it and what not. This will be my second time seeing and touching the cup. I will never turn pro or have a chance to win it so touchy touch touch touch.

First week on the job and the perks are already starting to present themselves.

shdwdmg
May 16, 2008

Verman posted:

I overheard a phone call today confirming that the Stanley cup will be in our office in a few weeks for the day. We are going to have a few hours to take photos with it and what not. This will be my second time seeing and touching the cup. I will never turn pro or have a chance to win it so touchy touch touch touch.

First week on the job and the perks are already starting to present themselves.

Nice job! Must be one hell of a job!

Has anyone been to the HoH and done the cup and such there?

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

xzzy posted:

Isn't the sneaky way to go about it to ring the puck towards a ref?

"Sorry about that man I was trying to get it to a teammate who was thirty feet behind you."

we aren't stupid, you know.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...
Of course I should talk to the league about my issues with officiating. Do you really think that I posted here instead, hoping and praying that one of you would find out what league I play in and contact them for me?

No, I don't expect NHL refs. But I do expect that in a no-check league, if a referee watches an opponent skate directly towards me, and then knocks me over by putting a shoulder into my sternum, that he should know that's a penalty and that he should call that penalty. That is not unreasonable in any way.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Good on you when you talk to the league. It's important that the folks in charge hear it when the refs are doing a poo poo job. Hopefully enough complaints and the the ref in question won't be asked to officiate any more games. I'm just trying to wrap my head around what positive outcome you thought yelling at the ref or laying out the other guy would accomplish.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Topoisomerase posted:

we aren't stupid, you know.

I'm shocked to hear this stunning revelation!

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

xzzy posted:

I'm shocked to hear this stunning revelation!

How many refs are there in your stick and pucks?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I would love to hear any success stories of taking to your league about anything, officiating or not. My leagues can't figure out fees and scheduling. I cannot imagine them figuring out a dispute with an official.

And when I officiated i think the league came to me once about an issue, and it was actually about a coach and not my officiating.

I'm not saying anyone here is wrong but there are two sides to every incident and officials only have 2 eyes. I've missed things in front of me because I was focused down ice and vice versa. I've also made bad judgments and flat out missed things too.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
My most recent game saw a teammate have a stick broken over him on a boarding. As play resumed the refs said someone from the other team had to get in the box. Best part was the exchange:

Ref: "You gotta put number 4 in the box."
Center: "What for?"
Ref (Sarcastically): "Because I'm the boss."

Made a few of us chuckle.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

The idea of talking to the league is that if anyone one ref gets enough complaints, they'll take action. All I'm saying is, focus on things that have at least the possibility of creating a better outcome. Guys that scream at the refs about missed calls wind up looking like the douche at the airline ticket counter yelling at the desk jockey because their flight is delayed.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

So what you're saying is bring your phone to the bench so when someone starts unloading on the ref, you can film it and upload it to youtube for everyone to laugh at.

As soon as they're done laughing at you for bringing a phone to the bench.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Have any of you had any luck approaching businesses about sponsoring your team? I was thinking of asking a bar I go to a lot and also maybe some local breweries. Basically we just want someone to buy us jerseys.

My talking points:

- We'll wear the jerseys at least 2 years, but probably forever because we're lazy.
- Business name becomes our team name
- They can put a graphic on our league page (like this: http://www.sportability.com/spx/leagues/Team.asp?LgID=22369&TmID=205087)
- List of other businesses that have sponsored teams (three breweries have teams where I play).
- They can get a jersey to put up in their bar / taproom.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

I'm trying to wrap my head around why you thought that between getting checked and getting angry, I stopped and made a list of the pros and cons of getting angry and then, considering all the data, came to logical conclusion that it was my best course of action. Especially given that I said I thought what I did was dumb and didn't wish to hurt anybody.

I guess it's hard for you to understand, but humans are not controlled by microchips. We have brains that make these things called emotions. They're powerful and they might not always lead us to the smartest course of action. You may think it's a weakness and I imagine when the Great War is upon us, it will be one of the things you try to eradicate from this world. But, for now, you will just have to accept it as reality, confusing though it may be to your circuits.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Yeah. I heard that a lot on my old team too. Guy gets cross checked or roughed up on the boards. No call. So he takes a number and either winds up starting a fist fight or just straight up wrecks the other guy into the boards. When asked, "Why are you such a goddamned hothead?" they usually respond "Because he hurt my feels and the ref didn't call it!"

Don't back down when feels are on the line, man.

Seriously though, having emotions and being able to control them are two entirely different things.

edit: Alright, I'm going to back off of this, and I'm sorry for being such a dick. This is kind of a personal thing for me right now. I just quit a team I've been on for 12 years because of most of the guys' attitudes towards physical play. It got to where we'd constantly be a man down because some guy was checking some other guy because "gently caress that guy!" Most games would invariably get out of hand, and there were times I'd be honest-to-god nervous to be on the ice because of the fear of retaliation. This kind of attitude pretty much killed any enjoyment I had playing beer league, and letting my captain know why I was quitting the team was one of the toughest conversations I've had in a long time.

I know sometimes our emotions get the best of us, but I've just seen this kind of thing escalate too often.

Lo siento.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Sep 20, 2013

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

coldwind posted:

I'm trying to wrap my head around why you thought that between getting checked and getting angry, I stopped and made a list of the pros and cons of getting angry and then, considering all the data, came to logical conclusion that it was my best course of action. Especially given that I said I thought what I did was dumb and didn't wish to hurt anybody.

I guess it's hard for you to understand, but humans are not controlled by microchips. We have brains that make these things called emotions. They're powerful and they might not always lead us to the smartest course of action. You may think it's a weakness and I imagine when the Great War is upon us, it will be one of the things you try to eradicate from this world. But, for now, you will just have to accept it as reality, confusing though it may be to your circuits.

Being able to control your emotions means you're an adult, it doesn't mean you're a robot. Acting like a baby and throwing a tantrum is not being an adult.

I had a little napolean complex dude straight up take a swing at me a few games ago. Did I flip out and beat the poo poo out of him? No.. Could I have? probably. I let his mortified teammates pull him away and let the refs give him a game misconduct and toss him.
Was I mad that he had he tried to punch me (he actually did clip my cage) yes, of course I was, but standing there staring him down like his punch meant nothing was much more gratifying as was my team ringing them up on the ensuing power play.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
I have found that the best course of action with guys like that is to just ignore them because they clearly just want attention. In my game last night, a player on the other team was trying to knee people and slash their wrists all game. Just skate away and don't say anything and they have no idea what to do with themselves. Maybe throw a short chirp their way if they are being persistent.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS
I'm better than you because I don't get mad when people do mean things (I have no balls)

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

kill me now posted:

Being able to control your emotions means you're an adult, it doesn't mean you're a robot. Acting like a baby and throwing a tantrum is not being an adult.

I had a little napolean complex dude straight up take a swing at me a few games ago. Did I flip out and beat the poo poo out of him? No.. Could I have? probably. I let his mortified teammates pull him away and let the refs give him a game misconduct and toss him.
Was I mad that he had he tried to punch me (he actually did clip my cage) yes, of course I was, but standing there staring him down like his punch meant nothing was much more gratifying as was my team ringing them up on the ensuing power play.
We have all had moments where we've lost our cools or let our emotions get the best of us. I'm sure they've happened to you, too. Admitting that they sometimes happen is a perfectly mature thing to do. We shouldn't pretend it never happens and that everybody should be in control of their emotions at all times, or that people who occasionally lose their cool are somehow worse people. That's naive. That's robotically naive.

It's really funny you told that story to show how much of an adult you were, because it was full of things that weren't really all that mature. Why did you mention he was little and had a Napoleon complex? How was that relevant? Or did you just want to belittle him while you told us the story? Then you stared him down in an obvious attempt to intimidate him. That's kinda childish. Like, teenage childish. Just skating away would have been a far more adult response. And the smug satisfaction you got over the revenge you gleaned? That's not a very mature response.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Just sock the motherfucker in his cage. You won't see him for 3 months due to the concussion.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That got dumb in a hurry, we should go back to joking about abusing refs.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

The only good ref is a boarded ref. No zebras no masters.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

coldwind posted:

We shouldn't pretend it never happens and that everybody should be in control of their emotions at all times, or that people who occasionally lose their cool are somehow worse people. That's naive. That's robotically naive.

The difference being is that acting on those emotions is the wrong you committed. Yes, I get upset at the guy who hooks my arm to bleeding, cross checks me from behind, slew foots me - but I don't act on it like a child.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

19 o'clock posted:

The difference being is that acting on those emotions is the wrong you committed.
Um, yeah, I already said that what I did was stupid. That was part of my first post. Was the point of that whole sanctimonious post to tell me I shouldn't have done that when I already admitted I shouldn't have done that?

19 o'clock posted:

Yes, I get upset at the guy who hooks my arm to bleeding, cross checks me from behind, slew foots me - but I don't act on it like a child.
If you're seriously going to tell me that you've never in your life acted on an emotion in an irrational manner, like yelling at a boss or a friend or a partner or a child that was aggravating you, or kicking or pounding on or yelling at an inanimate object when something didn't go your way, then I'm going to go ahead and call bullshit.

xzzy posted:

That got dumb in a hurry, we should go back to joking about abusing refs.
Who was joking? I've got a game tonight, I hope I see that same ref, I'm gonna hipcheck him. It's gonna be great because he won't expect it at all.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, gently caress those "zebras," huh? :black101:

Note how I used a clever derogatory term.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

xzzy posted:

Yeah, gently caress those "zebras," huh? :black101:

Note how I used a clever derogatory term.

Wait that's a derogatory term? I thought it was just descriptive.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
"SAS Hockey Player Thread: You are all robots if you don't lose your poo poo in a game."

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

19 o'clock posted:

The difference being is that acting on those emotions is the wrong you committed. Yes, I get upset at the guy who hooks my arm to bleeding, cross checks me from behind, slew foots me - but I don't act on it like a child.

This was just posted in a thread about playing ice hockey.

loving bro hug
Mar 7, 2006

I Love The Colorado Avalanche More Than I Love Landeskog's Balls In My Mouth
AND I LOVE LANDESKOG'S BALLS IN MY MOUTH A WHOLE LOT
PS Sakic > Yzerman

bewbies posted:

This was just posted in a thread about playing ice hockey.

There's no place for being rational in this game!!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Whole lotta try hards in this thread right now.

But seriously, lemme know when your league does anything when you complain, especially with officials. Having played with league directors they're almost always laughing about you and talking poo poo about you to the officials and others, making sure everyone knows about your reputation. To them it's not very likely you'll leave your team and be able to play elsewhere. And if so, meh, there are other players to fill your vacancy.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yes, everyone please get mad and leave their team, make room for me. :smith:

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

loving bro hug posted:

There's no place for being rational in this game!!

It's like crying in baseball. You don't have it.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

SAS Hockey Player Thread: I've lost my poo poo, but never in a hockey game. That makes me better than you.

SAS Hockey Player Thread: Making fun of people's height on the internet is the pinnacle of maturity.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
Hey man I'm not perfect but I sure expect the officials who are in charge of my beer league hockey games to never miss a call or have judgment different from mine!! :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Topoisomerase posted:

Hey man I'm not perfect but I sure expect the officials who are in charge of my beer league hockey games to never miss a call or have judgment different from mine!! :haw:

Perfect.

As the resident (??) SAS Hockey Giant I reserve the right to call anyone 6'4" and under "short."