Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I should probably post the pics I took of the ribs I made last week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

BraveUlysses posted:

hooo boy next time i see a pork shoulder at the store for a the right price this is what i'm trying, pork shoulder burnt ends

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5oj5-k3IRg

I don't really get the point of this versus just doing a shoulder the regular way. I've done belly like this and it was really good.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I did a couple of small bits of brisket yesterday, one of the joys of working from home. Wasn't as juicy as I was hoping but it was supermarket meat so you get what you pay for. Pretty happy with the smoke ring though

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Stringent posted:

I don't really get the point of this versus just doing a shoulder the regular way. I've done belly like this and it was really good.

I do it with Belly too but I can see someone doing it with a Butt/Shoulder because it is cheaper. But the best part of doing Belly is the fat that renders down and you lose a lot of that with a Butt/Shoulder.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I've never done anything with pork belly before, but they had some nice looking cuts at Costco the other day that is making me want to rectify that.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

There's a restaurant around here that has a really amazing deconstructed Pork Belly Bao dish here where instead of stuffing the bun, they serve you a big chunk of belly, a whole bun, and some toppings like scallions, pickled onion, and cilantro.

I copied that idea for a potluck a few months ago and did five-spice rubbed pork belly burnt ends with an asian-y bbq sauce, served with steamed bao. It was super easy and the results were awesome. Would definitely recommend for a change-up from the traditional bbq stuff.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Enos Cabell posted:

I've never done anything with pork belly before, but they had some nice looking cuts at Costco the other day that is making me want to rectify that.

Order some pink salt (curing salt, prague powder) and make some loving bacon! It's super easy, apply rub, bag it, flip it once a day for about 7 days and then washing rub off, let it sit in the fridge again over night and then smoke.

Or google pork belly burnt ends. So good. I've never made them but i've had them and they're great.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

atothesquiz posted:

Order some pink salt (curing salt, prague powder) and make some loving bacon! It's super easy, apply rub, bag it, flip it once a day for about 7 days and then washing rub off, let it sit in the fridge again over night and then smoke.

Or google pork belly burnt ends. So good. I've never made them but i've had them and they're great.

Fair warning, uh, home made bacon (at least in my attempts) has been REALLY DIFFICULT to dial in the correct salt level to end up with an edible end product. So serious YMMV caveats on the makin bacon front.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Gwaihir posted:

Fair warning, uh, home made bacon (at least in my attempts) has been REALLY DIFFICULT to dial in the correct salt level to end up with an edible end product. So serious YMMV caveats on the makin bacon front.

Just soak it in cold water if you end up with too much salt (prior to cooking/smoking it to 150). Cut off and cook tiny pieces until its as low as youd like. And next time use an EQ method.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

atothesquiz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL82hlORY-k

I’ve made this two or three times and it rules hard.

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do

Gwaihir posted:

Trial and error, and it won't take long for you to come up with a recipe that works for you. Once you get good homemade bacon it is hard to go back to store bought.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I bought some pork belly today! Going to smoke on the weber kettle. I can't be bothered getting the WSM set up for a little smoke like this.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

BraveUlysses posted:

hooo boy next time i see a pork shoulder at the store for a the right price this is what i'm trying, pork shoulder burnt ends

That video was really well done, and the end result looks drat tasty. Not a bad idea!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I. M. Gei posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL82hlORY-k

I’ve made this two or three times and it rules hard.

Ok I'm convinced.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Gwaihir posted:

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Just soak it in cold water if you end up with too much salt (prior to cooking/smoking it to 150). Cut off and cook tiny pieces until its as low as youd like. And next time use an EQ method.

This. Always tastetest before smoking, soak if too salty. Just note that it'll taste much different after smoked too.

I'd argue the biggest deterrent isn't the actual production of the bacon but the slicing of the bacon. If I didn't have a commercial deli slicer, I'd only make 5lb of it at a time and only on a whim. It's just too hard to get good even slices of a normal (bacon) thickness. Dont get me wrong, thick slabs are great for BLTs but not ideal for breakfast.

Novelty of it is fun though, and delicious.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

atothesquiz posted:

I'd argue the biggest deterrent isn't the actual production of the bacon but the slicing of the bacon. If I didn't have a commercial deli slicer, I'd only make 5lb of it at a time and only on a whim. It's just too hard to get good even slices of a normal (bacon) thickness. Dont get me wrong, thick slabs are great for BLTs but not ideal for breakfast.

This is true. Even if you have a very good knife, and chill the bacon down well beforehand, slicing evenly is a pain in the rear end, and you have to keep re-chilling it because that fat warms up so quickly.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I should post my Jamaican jerk bacon recipe once I finalize all of the ingredient amounts...... and I guess once I do whatever safety testing you’re supposed to do to bacon recipes to verify that they’re safe, even though mine has never made anybody sick.

atothesquiz posted:

Novelty of it is fun though, and delicious.

What deli slicer do you have? We got one on Amazon awhile back that ended up being Chinese garbage.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

I. M. Gei posted:

I should post my Jamaican jerk bacon recipe once I finalize all of the ingredient amounts...... and I guess once I do whatever safety testing you’re supposed to do to bacon recipes to verify that they’re safe, even though mine has never made anybody sick.

What deli slicer do you have? We got one on Amazon awhile back that ended up being Chinese garbage.

Amazon scares me of late, with the minefield of poo poo products, but they seem to have no issues allowing it to get worse and worse.
Would love to get a deli slicer of our own someday.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Y'all need better/sharper knives. I've also never had a problem with salt while curing stuff. The calculator on amazingribs is pretty good.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Y'all need better/sharper knives. I've also never had a problem with salt while curing stuff. The calculator on amazingribs is pretty good.

Eh, I’ve high end knives that we have sharpened a few times a year. I am just not good at shaving meat consistently.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Hasselblad posted:

Eh, I’ve high end knives that we have sharpened a few times a year. I am just not good at shaving meat consistently.

Is the knife you're using longer than the bacon?

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

I. M. Gei posted:

Berkel. It's a commercial version, like what you'd see at a deli.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I've got nice knives and sharpen them on the regular with a KSPROF knife sharpening system. I can get thin slices but it's just time consuming and even still, i'm not getting the consistence that I want.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

^^^ Berkel, eh? I’ll have to keep that name in mind. Thanks.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Y'all need better/sharper knives.

All of our knives are old rear end Cutco knives that my dad thinks never need to be sharpened ever. I think they’re older than me, and they haven’t been sharpened once in all that time.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I've also never had a problem with salt while curing stuff. The calculator on amazingribs is pretty good.

Same. That AmazingRibs calculator is a lifesaver.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Pork belly burnt ends on the menu tonight!

Probably mac'n'cheese and cornbread on the side.

Canuckistan fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 28, 2020

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I. M. Gei posted:

All of our knives are old rear end Cutco knives that my dad thinks never need to be sharpened ever. I think they’re older than me, and they haven’t been sharpened once in all that time.

Spend 20 minutes and figure out how to ship them back. They'll come back totally redone.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Canuckistan posted:

Pork belly burnt ends on the menu tonight!

Probably mac'n'cheese and cornbread on the side.

:hfive:

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
you belly looks better than mine. Mine was very fatty, like in some places it was 3/4inch pure white with not a spec of meat fatty.

Mine have been in for two hours @ 250 and only at 160. I'm thinking I'll give them another 30 min and then braise them.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

atothesquiz posted:

I've got nice knives and sharpen them on the regular with a KSPROF knife sharpening system. I can get thin slices but it's just time consuming and even still, i'm not getting the consistence that I want.

That sounds like a lot of money for something that can't even cut bacon.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Canuckistan posted:

you belly looks better than mine. Mine was very fatty, like in some places it was 3/4inch pure white with not a spec of meat fatty.

Mine have been in for two hours @ 250 and only at 160. I'm thinking I'll give them another 30 min and then braise them.

Mine was pretty fatty too, I think the rub disguised it a bit. Maybe not 3/4 inch but definitely 1/2 inch layer of fat.

2hrs in now, gonna give em another hour before I do the caramelizing.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

atothesquiz posted:

Berkel. It's a commercial version, like what you'd see at a deli.

My pov as well. If there is a better tool for the job, I want that tool to use.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Tezcatlipoca posted:

That sounds like a lot of money for something that can't even cut bacon.

I will say the knife sharpener is a lot of money compare to just buying a wet stone but there is no way I could get the level of precision I can get with this system. Overall it's paid itself back of the couple years I've owned it. I routinely do my knives and then there is doing my family's knives and my in laws. Even at $5 a knife, I've easily used it more than 100 times.

The quality of the sharpening is unmatched and I can get through several knives in less than 30 minutes while watching TV.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Progress so far, only 10 min to go!

e: HOLY poo poo! SO GOOD

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 29, 2020

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Mine came out good too. Mmm. pork candy. I took some pics but won't bother posting since they're very much like yours.

Mine didn't glaze as nicely as I had hoped until I got the baster and sucked up two cups worth of fat. That let the remaining sauce really thicken up and get yummy.

Smoking on the kettle worked great. A half snake was good for 5-6 hours of heat, and once dialed in it stayed on temp with minimal futzing about.

For the mac'n'cheese, I bought some sodium citrate and used that for the cheese sauce. So easy now. Cheese + water + sodium citrate + seasonings.

Canuckistan fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Mar 29, 2020

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Gwaihir posted:

I've just said gently caress it and gone full on 2:1 sugar to salt. I portion it out small enough I don't have to worry about preservation and it freezes fine.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Stringent posted:

I've just said gently caress it and gone full on 2:1 sugar to salt. I portion it out small enough I don't have to worry about preservation and it freezes fine.

If you are using the pink salt, you're good otherwise. Been trying to do maple bacon like the kind Sams Club used to have, but I cannot get nearly the level of flavoring.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Jan posted:

Texas Crutching your meat is something that works for large cuts like brisket, where the meat-to-surface ratio is so high that the temperature stalls for a long enough time to dry out the outside. Ribs don't need crutching or 3-2-1 or whatever you want to call it. Save yourself the hassle, just do straight up 4-6 hours until they pass the bend test.

Our pellet smoker runs a bit hot so the number is usually closer to 3-4 hours, but it's amazing, simple and no need to faff around with wrapping meat.

Same. There's no reason whatsoever to wrap ribs, and I don't even bother with the bend test. At the end, I usually just check for my desired doneness/tenderness by poking the intercostal meat with a toothpick. That way the ribs look beautiful and delicious all the way up to slicing...

Ribs are the easiest goddamn thing to make, don't mess with unneeded techniques, marinades, sauces, or anything else. Just dry brine overnight, rub em up, and leave them on your cooker while you have a few beers. Crazy easy.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I smoked some ribs in my pizza oven the other day. It looks like there's a major difference raising the meat up under the flue. It actually smokes when I do that versus just slow-cooking it without any smoke flavor. I can work with this.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

BraveUlysses posted:

I did this and a pastrami yesterday and they were both some of the best smokes I've done. I still prefer brisket burnt ends but that pork was pretty drat tasty.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I am getting ready to make pastrami for the first time.

When it’s done, it will be used to make pastrami reubens, along with smoked cheese and homemade:
- Sauerkraut
- Thousand Island dressing
- Rye bread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Picked up a nice piece of wild caught salmon to try out this weekend, just hoping the weather cooperates.