Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Truly, Lu Bu has Fate/Extella's best side story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
Apparently Koei went insane and almost everything they have on Steam is discounted, including the most recent Nobunaga's Ambitions (41$) and ROTK 13 (30$). Also the DLC for DW Empires 8, which has never gone on sale ever.

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009
But ROTK13v2 will be out soon, right? And as evidence by Sphere of Influence->Souzou, there's no upgrade discount effect.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Maleketh posted:

Truly, Lu Bu has Fate/Extella's best side story.

Though Medusa's left-field NTR ending has its merits.

Liz's side-story overplays its hand a little early, though it is somewhat impressive that the game found yet another way to poo poo on her and remind us why she deserves to be poo poo on. I mean, seriously, when the guy famous for getting cursed by every single member of the Hindu pantheon is faring better than you are, it's time to seriously re-evaluate your life choices.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

Liz's side-story overplays its hand a little early, though it is somewhat impressive that the game found yet another way to poo poo on her and remind us why she deserves to be poo poo on. I mean, seriously, when the guy famous for getting cursed by every single member of the Hindu pantheon is faring better than you are, it's time to seriously re-evaluate your life choices.

Given that her life choices involved torturing and murdering dozens of peasant girls, they probably need to be reevaluated anyway.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Maleketh posted:

Given that her life choices involved torturing and murdering dozens of peasant girls, they probably need to be reevaluated anyway.

Counterpoint - Gilgamesh and his basement full of mutilated kids.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Nullkigan posted:

But ROTK13v2 will be out soon, right? And as evidence by Sphere of Influence->Souzou, there's no upgrade discount effect.

Yeah, I forgot that was happening. I pulled the trigger on SoI 2.0 but I didn't get ROTK13 yet.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

Counterpoint - Gilgamesh and his basement full of mutilated kids.

That's only what? A dozen or so kids? He's positively a saint compared to Liz.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
I think it was this thread that spoke of Arslan highly enough for me to put it on my Steam wishlist; worth picking up at half-off? I know literally nothing about the anime(?) it is based on. I'm currently assuming it's a funky transliteration of Aslan, and it is in fact a Narnia Warriors game. (:v:)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I might be a minority, but I think it's one of the more boring IP adaptations Koei has done in recent years. It feels like DW5 with a card inventory gimmick that doesn't really change things as far as movesets go.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Ghost of Starman posted:

I think it was this thread that spoke of Arslan highly enough for me to put it on my Steam wishlist; worth picking up at half-off? I know literally nothing about the anime(?) it is based on. I'm currently assuming it's a funky transliteration of Aslan, and it is in fact a Narnia Warriors game. (:v:)

It's solidly average; if you like Musou games, half price is probably reasonable.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Ghost of Starman posted:

It was alright, as someone who's never seen the anime or manga. I will say this though: the game ends just as it's picking up. It's really weird. It feels like the story is finally going into the second act and it just... stops. The story mode feels like half a story.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Hell if you like musou games it is a decent pickup. The big complaint I think is that it doesn't have much of a post game. I also found it didn't run too well on PC.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
And people generally sounded pretty positive toward Toukiden? I've never played a Monster Hunter game, but I've always been intrigued...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Toukiden is my favourite MonHun style game though be aware that if you're thinking of the PC version it can be a crap shoot as to how well it runs for you.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Given that KT's ports do seem to be improving I'm hoping Toukiden 2's is good.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I straight up can't play their latest game so meh

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Berserk Warriors is coming out in 2 weeks right? I'm hype as gently caress.

Same, I know they'll probably wait until the last minute to put the Steam listing up but I can't help but check occasionally. :v:

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

Sakurazuka posted:

Toukiden is my favourite MonHun style game

Same, it's just the perfect balance between monhun and god eater

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I enjoyed the story and characters of Toukiden as well, and I agree on its gameplay having the right mix of being streamlined and still having enough fiddly bits and variety to keep it interesting. It's a shame the port just flat out doesn't work for so many.

Spear, bow, and club were my favorite weapons.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

I enjoyed the relaxed gun gameplay and the way items are handled in Toukiden, I just wish the monsters weren't textured like poop. Hopefully 2 is a little more lively.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Internet Friend posted:

I enjoyed the relaxed gun gameplay and the way items are handled in Toukiden, I just wish the monsters weren't textured like poop. Hopefully 2 is a little more lively.

Yeah, I hope Toukiden 2 on the PC isn't a Vita port too.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Airspace posted:

Apparently Koei went insane and almost everything they have on Steam is discounted, including the most recent Nobunaga's Ambitions (41$) and ROTK 13 (30$). Also the DLC for DW Empires 8, which has never gone on sale ever.

Thank you for mentioning this, by the way. Picked up bits and pieces for 8 Complete and 8 Empires.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Feb 10, 2017

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

I picked up 8 Xtreme legends (on PC), I haven't played one since 5, but I put a ton of hours into 5. I have a soft spot for this series, anything I should know before wasting my time?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Sneaky Wombat posted:

I picked up 8 Xtreme legends (on PC), I haven't played one since 5, but I put a ton of hours into 5. I have a soft spot for this series, anything I should know before wasting my time?

Ambition mode is kind of the core game now. It's the best way to level up folks and get new weapons. The biggest new feature is that every character can equip two weapons now (but they all have a preferred weapon type with longer combos)

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

nah man, story mode is way more fun and should last you a good 60 hours at least. ambition mode is just repetitive maps without any challenge forever.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ambition mode also sucks to start out with a new character because everything takes ages to kill.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Picked up DW 8 Empires, any must have dlcs?

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Feb 11, 2017

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Do the Nobunaga's Ambition games have debates and duels and poo poo? That'd be fun.

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009
Sphere of Influence doesn't, not sure about Souzou.

SOI is incredibly dull and light from a mechanics perspective. There's no combat related buildings either (like the drums, warhorns and supply dumps from other games), just towers if a location is 'fortified'. All units are identical except in terms of size (hp/men) and leader skills; leader stats have a very very small effect and giving units horses / muskets just unlocks some skills regardless of who is leading - it's supposed to increase damage and speed as well, but it's barely noticeable except for that one time you get hit by Tadakatsu Honda using the cavalry charge skill.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Angry Lobster posted:

Picked up DW 8 Empires, any must have dlcs?
Not really - all costume packs and edit parts, and misc background cosmetic stuff.

EDIT: Apparently there's a 2 standalone scenarios packs it looks like, which I never noticed before. Those look to be the only gameplay content.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 11, 2017

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005
I enjoyed my first few hours of SOI but once you get past that it just became "wait for my doom cities to replenish, then invade the next guy" and I looked at the size of the map and decided to stop there. Does the expanded version fix that? Looking at the features it seems to be adding a longer start to the game so you take longer to get to that point, but not much to fix the mid-game steamroll.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
What exactly is the difference between 8XL and the 'complete edition'? The descriptions seem incredibly dodgy on what that entails. The name would suggest that it includes the original dynasty warriors 8, but....

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Drakenel posted:

What exactly is the difference between 8XL and the 'complete edition'? The descriptions seem incredibly dodgy on what that entails. The name would suggest that it includes the original dynasty warriors 8, but....

Dumb marketing name for "DW8 + DW8XL"?

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Jack Trades posted:

Dumb marketing name for "DW8 + DW8XL"?

Looking at the store page seems devoid of mentioning that. Well, I suppose I've done worse for 20$

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Drakenel posted:

Xtreme Legends has always been the title expansion for whatever Warriors game there is, as far back as Dynasty Warriors 3. 8XL was made as the expansion for Dynasty Warriors 8 on the PS3. 8XL Complete Edition was made as a definitive release for the PS4 and Vita, because those consoles didn't have a Dynasty Warriors 8 to expand upon.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I've finished the main story of Fate Extella and quite liked it. The final segment was cool and I'm glad the three moms have adopted a child and brought peace to the land. I've definitely warmed up to the game a lot mechanically, and while it's still a pretty shallow game, it keeps a very rapid pace which does a good job of masking that. I haven't spent much time with the other characters yet, but I am initially disappointed with Jeanne because she feels so slow, but then everyone is slow compared to Nero.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Maaaan, I really really like DW8E but boy do I wish it had goofy English voice acting from DW8.
It seriously adds so much to the characters and overall experience.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Jack Trades posted:

Maaaan, I really really like DW8E but boy do I wish it had goofy English voice acting from DW8.
It seriously adds so much to the characters and overall experience.

Personally I'd like to see a return to "you flaming idiots!" Level of goofy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Ascension is pretty much a straight upgrade, I'm not missing anything Xtreme Legends-style right? I picked it up on sale since I haven't played any of the Nobunaga's Ascension games. Hopefully it's a good port.