Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

dpkg chopra posted:

I have an interview coming up with a German company opening a US office and both interviewers are German. I've scoped out their LinkedIn profiles and none of them have worked in US companies.

Not sure if I should adapt my interview style at all, anyone have experience interviewing with German senior management?

Edit: just to be clear, I understand that it will essentially be the same as any interview, and you adapt based on the person before you, just looking for some generalized tips.

Don't be rattled if they cut you off or abruptly change the subject. Try to stay on point more than you'd usually do and be more aware if it's not the right time for banter or chit chat. In my experience German companies have a higher focus on efficiency. If you can organically make fun of the French it probably wouldn't hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Covok posted:

Weird thought, but should my resume mention that I am an Eagle Scout? I know it sounds silly, but that used to matter to some people. I doubt it matters anymore, but I used to have it on my resume and I am curious if anyone cares about that stuff anymore.

You're an eagle scout accountant with low self esteem? Covok, I need you to take some risks. Take up a challenging social thing or...even better...do some crimes.

I need you to get super jacked, grow a beard, and either:

A) Take up street racing.
Buy a Mustang, add turbochargers, but keep the exhaust quiet until past 1/3rd throttle. Meet up with 20-30 dudes behind the airport at 1AM on a Tuesday night and drag race for $1000 per run until the cops come. When they come, just take off. Middle of the pack so you dont get stopped. Don't stop for them, just run, they chant case everyone and you're the furthest away.

B) Become a champion Bachata or Zouk dancer.
You must take up a sensual latin dance and become recognized as the best at it. Even if only locally. You don't need to win state championships, just enough that every woman in the club recognizes that you, Covok, are the dance partner everyone wants to have. You're sensual, but friendly. You could use it to sleep around but you don't...mostly. The reputation you build as an empathetic but passionate partner leads to every woman wanting you.

Only then can you unlock the one true job: Makin figgies and suckin tiddies.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Lockback posted:

Don't be rattled if they cut you off or abruptly change the subject. Try to stay on point more than you'd usually do and be more aware if it's not the right time for banter or chit chat. In my experience German companies have a higher focus on efficiency. If you can organically make fun of the French it probably wouldn't hurt.

Thanks for this! Will probably avoid the joke, there's no way I'll land that correctly, lol.

Maybe I'll ask them if they have any tips about living in a fascist hellscape.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I’d probably wear a tie for starters. Management Germans love ties.

Is this for IC or management? Most of the German companies I have worked with don’t believe in working managers; the manager isn’t really expected to know anything about their area other than How To Manage, and then the ICs know/do everything.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Lockback posted:

Germans being efficient is the most absurd bullshit in the world. Germans are in to Precision, not Efficiency.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I’d probably wear a tie for starters. Management Germans love ties.

Is this for IC or management? Most of the German companies I have worked with don’t believe in working managers; the manager isn’t really expected to know anything about their area other than How To Manage, and then the ICs know/do everything.

The role is Data Protection Manager, but the actual people management responsibilities are very low, so technically an IC.

Thanks for the tie recommendation, it's been a while since I've interviewed anywhere where that's required.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

dpkg chopra posted:

The role is Data Protection Manager, but the actual people management responsibilities are very low, so technically an IC.

Thanks for the tie recommendation, it's been a while since I've interviewed anywhere where that's required.

It's weird, Germans are either very casual or wearing ties in my experience. There's not much of a middle ground of like, separates without a tie or anything like that. You probably want to get a read on the company culture as this sounds much more tech based than my German experience, which is with industrials.

Since you will have "manager" in your title and it's a German company, if they're at all formal or traditional seeming I would dress the part.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
For what it's worth, one of the people interviewing is just wearing a shirt and sweater in his LinkedIn profile.

The company itself is a big logistics company that's been around for like 40 years.

I think I'll split the difference and wear a suit with no tie.

Edit: on further reflection, I will wear the tie.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I generally do not think it will hurt you with Business Germans.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Wear the suit and don't overthink it. I work in tech and received some minor flack for wearing a suit in interviews. I waived it off as "well you never know, I probably wouldn't wear this July!" but also didn't apologize or disown it. Both times the process ended in an offer so obviously it was not a deal breaker.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
When I get flack for wearing a suit I tell them it was a test and they passed :shrug:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
cut out the back of the suit and lightly sew it. If they give you flack, grab the front and rip it off in one smooth motion revealing a tie-dyed tank top or a "Big Johnson" novelty graphic Tee. It's really the only solution that covers all bases.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Trip report: I wore a suit and tie, they did not, but I don't think they cared either way.

Other than that, the interview was a mixed bag. Like Kyoon Griffey Jr. said, the interviewers were fairly abrupt but in general the atmosphere was friendly. I think I displayed good subject knowledge and rapport, but there was definitely a gap between their expectations for the role and what I had understood from the job description.

They wanted someone that would manage all processes and people for all of NA and LATAM, and I had understood the role to be that of an IC with some minimal management tasks.

In my defense, the salary range for the position is a lot more in-line with my expectation, than theirs. For what they expect, they should be offering twice as much if they want someone that competitive.

To top it off, just got told I wasn't selected for a position where I was really strong candidate.

Spectacular start to the week.

Nevertheless, thanks for all the help!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Oh yeah, a German company moving to the US might have some pretty out of whack salary expectations because by and large white collar salaries are lower in Europe, and in Logistics salaries tend to be low as well.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Any hiring process where one side is crossing a border for the first time is all kinds of entertaining. There are so many things that are assumed baseline in one place which are totally different elsewhere.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

Any hiring process where one side is crossing a border for the first time is all kinds of entertaining. There are so many things that are assumed baseline in one place which are totally different elsewhere.

we've been going through that as we re-establish some Europe presence, and it's only been like... six years since we previously closed our European office?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
GDPR came into force in those six years, so I can see why you have problems. I bet your recruiters also had problems getting prosepctive hires to understand how good your PTO and healthcare packages are but also lots of people trying not to giggle when they hear what the salary range is.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

GDPR came into force in those six years, so I can see why you have problems. I bet your recruiters also had problems getting prosepctive hires to understand how good your PTO and healthcare packages are but also lots of people trying not to giggle when they hear what the salary range is.

Just in general people have a really tough time understanding that their cultural isn't "default".

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'm talking pure regulatory baseline stuff. The culture is a whole different kettle of fish.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Just feel like ranting a bit, feel free to ignore this.

Big gently caress you to the guy, let's call him Dick, who interviewed me last week, made it clear he didn't want to be there, rushed my interview and told me "you did great, I'm gonna pass on my recommendation, but I'm not a decision maker in this process", and today the hiring manager calls me to tell me that they won't moving on with me because "Dick decided to go with another candidate".

Great stuff.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I just had another interview. I think it went really well. The job seems something that I have a lot of experience with in the past. The only difference just scaling it up from a few multistate physical brick & mortar business to a national digital firm. A matter of scale, but I'm used to such scale from my time at the Big 4.

Right after the interview, I wanted to send this email to thank the interviewer. How does this look?\

quote:

[Person Name]

I'd like to thank you and [interviewer] for the interview today. It was wonderful discussing the position, the company, and the recent developments in the office with [interviewer]. It was a very enjoyable discussion.

Over the years, I'm used to adapting to new situations when the needs and circumstances arise. My current employer, [company name], has actually gone through two acquisitions during my tenure as senior accountant/office liaison. Originally, the office was owned by [first company], which was a multi-state tax preparation company. I was brought in to replace a retiring senior accountant and to take over his book of individual and business clients. Not long after, [first company] was acquired by [second company], a national financial firm. There was a transition period where numerous software and technical processes changed. I found myself leading the charge on implementing the changes in the office due to my familiarity with software and computers. Last year, [second company] was acquired by [third company]. We have been going through another transition that is just about reaching its end. During this period, I once again found myself leading the charge on implementing the expected changes to our workflow. For example, I wrote the instruction manual on our new accounts receivable and billing software for our office administrator to use as guidance. As another example, I wrote the guide on how we can implement the new safety and security features our new parent company wished to implement, as we swapped away from our old encryption and security software and measures.

I feel this experience leading transitions during these mergers and acquisitions can be a valuable resource for your company at this time. From our discussion, it seems that you are currently still implementing some of the changes from the merger. These prior experiences have taught me how to adapt to new office and software systems as well as how to train existing and new staff members to implement them effectively.

Once again, I'd like to thank you for your time today.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

didn't you already tell them all this poo poo in the interview? keep it short and sweet. if I got that wall o text from a candidate the only way it could influence me is negatively.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

didn't you already tell them all this poo poo in the interview? keep it short and sweet. if I got that wall o text from a candidate the only way it could influence me is negatively.

Actually, none of that was brought up in the interview. The interview was set to thirty minutes, but she ended up running long without realizing it. She was surprised we had hit the time limit so quickly. She was in California so she had to get back to her job. We had done some back and forth throughout the interview and I made sure to mention as many things as I could when they became relevant. But, while I did mention experience leading changes in software, we ran short on time and this didn't get brought up. She said it was okay to go a little late because she realized she didn't even get to the part where she asked me questions. So, that gave me 15 minutes, but I didn't get a chance to bring this up. I just asked some questions: "what states do we operate in for taxes?", "what's a typical day like?", etc." But this didn't get brought up and a lot of what she discussed is how things had been difficult since they merged with a European firm and how difficult it had been after my predecessor left unexpectedly. As such, I never got a change to mention my experience with leading during mergers.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Extremely agree.

Covok, based on your posts I'm convinced you have a serious issue with overcommunicating, especially when nervous or uncertain. You really should do everything you can to address that.

Fair or not, she has already made her decision about you--the truth is people mostly make decisions about other people within seconds of meeting them and the impression hardens exponentially with every minute that passes thereafter--and as KYOON said, the only way that big ol' wall o'text can move her evaluation of you now is downward. Your energy is much better spent focusing on the next opportunity. (This is true even if you're convinced you hit it out of the park and an offer is coming soon. Multiple offers are immensely valuable.)

dpkg chopra posted:

Just feel like ranting a bit, feel free to ignore this.

Big gently caress you to the guy, let's call him Dick, who interviewed me last week, made it clear he didn't want to be there, rushed my interview and told me "you did great, I'm gonna pass on my recommendation, but I'm not a decision maker in this process", and today the hiring manager calls me to tell me that they won't moving on with me because "Dick decided to go with another candidate".

Great stuff.

Unfortunately everything in this post except the HM naming Dick and maybe some unprofessionalism on his part is common. 99% likely they knew who they were hiring before they posted the req and your interview was just box checking theater. It sucks but it's poo poo that happens, gotta just forget it and move forward.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 19, 2022

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, 100%, I’m just venting. The HM didn’t seem to happy with the decision so maybe Dick forced her hand and she namedropped him out of spite or something (Dick wasn’t even supposed to be interviewing me originally).

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
She might have been letting you know that you dodged a bullet by not having to deal with a shitlord who won't take even the slimmest responsibility for his decisions.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Alright, I won't send it then.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Covok posted:

Alright, I won't send it then.

I mean, you can send a thank you but just make it short and to the point.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Maybe something like,

“Person 1, Person 2, hello!

I just wanted to reach out and thank you for your time in today’s interview. You were both very clear and I feel like the role is a really good fit for me.

P1, you mentioned that you’re going through some issues with the current merger and I just wanted to mention that in my current role I’ve successfully handled a similar transition so that’s something I feel I could hit the ground running on.

Thanks again to both, and have a great week!”

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Yeah if there’s like, a question you don’t feel you handled well and you want to provide information on that, you can do that. But one point only. And it can’t be something you want to bring up, it has to be something they asked that you blew.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I'm applying to a role at Giant Tech Company for which I'm nominally "over-qualified" and I wonder if this is one of those times that a cover letter might help.

The background is that though I'm a US citizen, I lived outside of the US most my life, including graduating college and work experience. Now I'm back in the US because my wife landed a job so I'm trying to take this opportunity to work at a big company, especially in tech, even if it means an entry level job.

The reason for this is basically that I love tech and tech issues. My previous work was essentially legal consultancy, which meant I worked by myself most of the time, but I'd often get embedded into corporate teams for specific issues and I had a lot of fun working with other people and felt like I did my best work when I worked within a team where I could give and receive feedback, or access corporate resources to solve problems.

In practice this means that I lack the direct corporate experience that more senior roles require, but I would be more than happy to build that up within a company that matches my long-term goals and values.

Is conveying this storyline, or some version of it, in a cover letter something that you feel would add value to my application? Or am I just boring the hiring department with irrelevant details?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

If it's a tech company they probably won't care, but if they do accept a cover letter that's a pretty good story. I wouldn't shoe-horn it in conversations or anything though.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, this is one of the few that accepts cover letters (though marks it as optional), so I wasn't sure.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

If they accept a cover letter it never hurts, just understand that it will frequently be ignored.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Update: They reached out to schedule the next series of interviews, so me telling the hiring manager that I had interviewed with her for a similar position before didn't sabotage anything. This is as far as I got last time and AFAIK, the last stage before they either make an offer, or you meet with the hiring manager one more time for a more formal interview.

I'm in a weird head space about it though. When I thought they might have remembered me from last time, I was more optimistic about it. Realizing that they didn't, I'm not dejected, but kind of like "okay, cool, whatever." about it. Still gonna give it my best shot in any case.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Handsome Ralph posted:

Update: They reached out to schedule the next series of interviews, so me telling the hiring manager that I had interviewed with her for a similar position before didn't sabotage anything. This is as far as I got last time and AFAIK, the last stage before they either make an offer, or you meet with the hiring manager one more time for a more formal interview.

I'm in a weird head space about it though. When I thought they might have remembered me from last time, I was more optimistic about it. Realizing that they didn't, I'm not dejected, but kind of like "okay, cool, whatever." about it. Still gonna give it my best shot in any case.

Like I said, they interview way more than you do, so really don't take offense. I would treat this as just another opportunity

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Lockback posted:

Like I said, they interview way more than you do, so really don't take offense. I would treat this as just another opportunity

Oh for sure, I'm not offended by it at all cause I've been in that boat myself. It was more "Aw gently caress, I thought they remembered me and that's why I got another shot" and realizing they didn't is more my own disappointment than anything else.

Still, a second chance is a second chance. Still gonna show up to the interview prepared to own it.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Handsome Ralph posted:

When I thought they might have remembered me from last time, I was more optimistic about it. Realizing that they didn't, I'm not dejected, but kind of like "okay, cool, whatever." about it. Still gonna give it my best shot in any case.

Imagine you were the most popular dude on Tinder in your city and loved going on dates. You go on dates very frequently for 5 years, occasionally pausing to date someone exclusively for a few months. Do you remember the person you want on one date with 9 months ago? Probably not unless it was very bad or very good. Its rare for interviews to be very good, rarer than dates.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I just worked with a recruiter to get the strangest job interview of my life. Here is what happened.

The interview itself was pretty short. Basic questions on job history, a job application filled out by hand, two references from my previous employers. Easy. I asked a few questions and then I was taken to HR.

There, HR had me take a skills test. For reference, I am an accountant with 5 years experience and Big 4 experience. They had me do a 3rd grade math and spelling test without a calculator while someone watched. It was surreal. Like, I've had taken tests in interviews before, but they're usually verbal concept questions. Like, "how do you depreciate a rental property," not "what is 22.40 x 5." I did it. Then I had to do a basic excel exercise and a typing test. No idea if 69 words per minute with no spelling errors is good or not. Usually, accountants are more focused on being right, not fast.

Also, another weird thing, I kind of got my recruiter to spill the beans on exactly what salary he offered me at. Looks like he split the difference on my range. That's fine. It's only 2k less than the maximum I asked for so I am fine with a 49% raise from my current salary. I gave exactly that figure at the interview when they asked. The recruiter said he already told them, but it seemed like just took a massive poo poo in the middle of the room when I said it. I told the recruiter that in less colorful language and he was confused too. My salary was 10k more than what they were looking for so he though that might have been an issue, but he already told them that was my offer and they agreed to interview me under that context. I said maybe I read the room wrong, but they all got quiet and looked kind of sullen, like I had something wrong, you ever get the feeling? And he was like "well, if they didn't read my e-mail, that's on them, but we should know by Monday or Tuesday if they are moving forward."

Covok fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Covok posted:

No idea if 69 words per minute with no spelling errors is good or not.
It's pretty nice.

I've had a typing test before, but that was back when I was fresh out of college and looking at phone monkey work. They accused me of cheating and made me do it again while someone watched because they'd never thought that advertising for "gamers" would result in someone who knew how to use a keyboard showing up. I really should have taken that as my first warning sign and noped out.