Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009
Ok. Trying Escape From Pypriat now, as far as out-of-the-box configuration it is way better looking than Gamma. Like, poo poo. Gamma looks like garbage out-of-the-box compared to this. The 4060 is hilariously overkill but I am not complaining. Playing with high/maxed settings on 2560x1440 and it is beautiful. Lighting is stunning as someone who has not played big games since mid-2010s.

I don’t like the inventory icons, layout, etc. Im adjusting to it but i really like the CoP visuals. It feels too modern and looks blurry. I’ll get used to it but it seems like the biggest “this is not Stalker” change so far.

First impressions of a non-vanilla game mode (ever) is that it is interesting and the learning curve is not terrible, feels a lot like the first days of playing Stalker when it came out.

Magazine management was intuitive enough and I like it. Gotta get used to it and I’ve realized how broken my reloading mentality is.

Not knowing about the key-binding mod was a real piss off until I discovered how to properly configure things in that instead of the default settings page. Haven’t gotten far enough yet to get to experience the multi-zoom options like the side-aiming.

Health system is neat, a bit to deal with and understand what items do what, I am stumbling around with broken legs in the Darkscape currently, hilariously slow going. I like that it slows things down and changes the gameplay to be less shoot-em-up.

So far so good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009
Wow, the toxic food mod is…. Let’s just say I am loving about and finding out with it. While I don’t disagree with it being a thing in the game, it is a challenge to figure out the mechanics of it

spechtie
Feb 24, 2024

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
just like real life :hmmyes:

also my 970 and crappy old PC are like right on the edge of being too lovely to run GAMMA, it tends to get all stuttery when exciting things strt happening. I'm excited to try it on my new 3060 soon too :3:

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.
Escape from Pripyat is really good for how little people talk about it comparatively to Gamma. I loving love the mag system and starting it up to see a ridiculous amount of grass with pretty autumn textures ruled.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

This is me only now connecting the unbelievable reality of stalker on consoles with the unbelievable reality of people playing gamma with default settings and mods :cripes:

Like figuring you want a car and just, going to the car store and buying a car?? the end? And never adjusting the seat position from default
Oh god I'm having an itt flashback to factory settings getting labelled "game balance"

There is a reason there are 10,000 buttons and only one of them is START

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Oh no.

They patched Clear Sky on console so an unobtainable trophy is fixed.

Now I have no excuse to avoid Clear Sky :negative:

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Have they indicated if mods are coming to console?

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

This is me only now connecting the unbelievable reality of stalker on consoles with the unbelievable reality of people playing gamma with default settings and mods :cripes:

Like figuring you want a car and just, going to the car store and buying a car?? the end? And never adjusting the seat position from default
Oh god I'm having an itt flashback to factory settings getting labelled "game balance"

Like, you’re not wrong on this and I totally understand there’s a desire to take GAMMA as a starting point and go from there with config and mods. I’ve seen some absolutely insanely beautiful gamma setups on youtube, but that isn’t the default.

But for a massive mod experience for a user like myself who really just wants to jump in because of limited free time, EFP absolutely blows it away. If I was 15 years younger I would be all-in on going down the mod rabbit hole.

Gameplay wise the two feel very similar, and aesthetics are going to win out when the defaults are “loving beautiful” vs “oof.”

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009
Also, lol, finally figured out the permanent healing system without resorting to youtube videos. So many leg splints burned through :downs:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Sorry man, I'm going to play the curated mod pack as a curated mod pack. If there's a really simple installer for all the best sub-mods and config edits I'd probably do it.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 11:12 on May 22, 2024

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Sorry man, I'm going to play the curated mod pack as a curated mod pack. If there's a really simple installer for all the best sub-mods and config edits I'd probably do it.

I think I have to agree. Usually I'm not averse to really getting into the guts and tweaking things or adding new mods but, despite playing STALKER since SoC came out, I've never delved deeply into its modding scene and have no clue how brittle Xray is and how easily I might gently caress up the entire mod pack by messing around.

Elrond Hubbard
Mar 30, 2007

To ERH
*everyone applauds*
New trailer and release date

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6HH5kKLAlw

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
For clarification, there isn't a new release date (again), it's still September 5th.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Yes. Give it to me. Give it all to me. This is what I've been waiting for since Call of Pripyat. It's going to be an excruciating couple of months.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Glad they're still using PDAs and not phones or whatever.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I recognized Rostok and what I think might have been the inside of Skadovsk in Zaton?

I got a lot of hours out of GAMMA but I'm hoping my next dip into STALKER is with STALKER 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Mordja posted:

Glad they're still using PDAs and not phones or whatever.

Surely there will be a day one mod for a Samsung Galaxy S24.