Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

sassassin posted:

Frank Miller did not direct the movie 300, or write the script.
True, but Zack Snyder is hardly a master of subtlety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

When they were shooting whatever that Will Ferrell nascar movie was where he was Ricky Bobby, when they were filming the introduction of the french guy (again, horrible with names, can't remember it) the crowd at the stadium just started booing without any direction needed from anyone.

They were not expecting that.

sasha baron cohen played the french guy in talledega: ricky bobby. l am not suprised that actually happened as he is a master of antagonizing and making hicks hate him.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

One of the main IIMM in Iron Man 2 is that Whiplash is hit WITH A CAR where he has no armor. He's spitting up blood. Dude is straight hosed UP. Yet, like what, 5 hours? later maybe he's ok and in a cell with Tony and Tony is chatting him up like it's no big thing.

My IIMM about Iron Man 2 was that Whiplash had no reason to infiltrate the pit crew in Monaco. Stark wasn't supposed to be driving; he did it as part of the stupid yolo episode brought on by his equally stupid poison reactor plot. He jumped in the Stark car on a whim at the last moment. Whiplash's best bet would have been to show up at the dozen public places Stark was going to be leading up to that. So what was he trying to accomplish with the cloak and dagger nonsense culminating in being a member of a pit crew?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Elfface posted:

As for The Spidey 3 Jazz Routine, I heard that it was supposed to be 'Peter Parker wants to be a cool guy, so the symbiote makes him what a complete dork like Peter Parker thinks is a cool guy'

But of course, it didn't come off that way.

What other way does it come off? I've never understood how people don't get that scene. Symbiote makes you think you're hot poo poo, but you're still you, and if you're a goofy poo poo, you're still a goofy poo poo.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Danger Mahoney posted:

My IIMM about Iron Man 2 was that Whiplash had no reason to infiltrate the pit crew in Monaco. Stark wasn't supposed to be driving; he did it as part of the stupid yolo episode brought on by his equally stupid poison reactor plot. He jumped in the Stark car on a whim at the last moment. Whiplash's best bet would have been to show up at the dozen public places Stark was going to be leading up to that. So what was he trying to accomplish with the cloak and dagger nonsense culminating in being a member of a pit crew?

Smashing something expensive Tony Stark owns is a good way to make Iron Man show up.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

John Big Booty posted:

True, but Zack Snyder is hardly a master of subtlety.
or anything whatsoever, while we're on the subject

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Light Gun Man posted:

You can probably do this with just about any romantic comedy. I think my favorite example is the movie 40 Days and 40 Nights where the main guy gets raped and his girlfriend's reaction is basically "YOU CHEATED ON ME????":byodame:

That part of the movie was so goddamn stupid.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Schubalts posted:

That part of the movie was so goddamn stupid.

I looked at the IMDB forum to make sure I was remembering it right and almost every single thread is about that part so lol confirmed

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Daredevil again: Did I miss something at the end with Punisher's CO being The Blacksmith? I get that there were all these conspiracies and coverups, but I thought that Frank's family being there was just bad luck. Organizing a giant drug deal just to kill one guy who wouldn't join your gang is a bit much, but him just randomly being the guy responsible would be such a weird coincidence.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Dr_Amazing posted:

Daredevil again: Did I miss something at the end with Punisher's CO being The Blacksmith? I get that there were all these conspiracies and coverups, but I thought that Frank's family being there was just bad luck. Organizing a giant drug deal just to kill one guy who wouldn't join your gang is a bit much, but him just randomly being the guy responsible would be such a weird coincidence.

I guess? I was confused too. I liked Season 2 well enough, but it neither felt as well paced or cohesive as Season 1. I thought the magic ninja stuff was really boring, but the Punisher plot was great until the last couple episodes, where it utterly fizzled out. It was great through his prison escape!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Light Gun Man posted:

You can probably do this with just about any romantic comedy. I think my favorite example is the movie 40 Days and 40 Nights where the main guy gets raped and his girlfriend's reaction is basically "YOU CHEATED ON ME????":byodame:
I involuntarily watched a lot of romantic comedies in the early 00s and they all invariably feature nothing but truly awful people. How to lose a guy in 10 days was the worst of the bunch. I never wanted to yell things at the screen quite that much. Just tell each other what you're up to you insufferable fucks!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Light Gun Man posted:

If I remember right, wasn't the dude tied down while he was sleeping too?

gently caress, by that movie's logic a man can never be raped if he gets hard and a woman can never be raped because her vagina (barring surgery) is always open.

My God I found where Bill Cosby got his defense from!

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

Cowslips Warren posted:

gently caress, by that movie's logic a man can never be raped if he gets hard...

There are people IRL who believe that, though... :negative:

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Thaddius the Large posted:

I guess? I was confused too. I liked Season 2 well enough, but it neither felt as well paced or cohesive as Season 1. I thought the magic ninja stuff was really boring, but the Punisher plot was great until the last couple episodes, where it utterly fizzled out. It was great through his prison escape!

Agreed, the highs of the season 2 were greater then season 1 but the pacing was just all over the entire place. Punisher plot was awesome until the fizzle but the rest just felt almost aimless.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

(daredevil) It's kind of extremely hosed up to say black sky is a huge existential threat to the world, well what's it do, nobody knows for sure, but it's this girl right here and has been for twenty years. gently caress you. You don't give a poo poo if you don't even know. The absolute laziness of that writing to make a human being a living macguffin was the most insulting thing. The one you killed in the first season had something obviously wrong with its heartbeat and was ominous but in the second season this character he's known since college doesn't. Whatever.

Punisher scenes were pretty good though. Loved those fight choreography where DD has to punch out a thug and stop frank from giving someone a killing blow alternatingly.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I was totally hooked for the first 3/4th of the season. She was cool and mysterious, the Punisher was awesome and I loved his trial, jailtime, escape and subsequent mayhem but it really fell apart in the last 3 or 4 episodes, to the point that I found myself doing other things while watching. I guess all the conspiracy/supernatural ancient assasin stuff felt out of place somehow. The first season set the whole Daredevil thing up as a street-level vigilante fighting comporate corruption and organised crime, you know? Things a blind albeit super skilled hero could deal with. A centuries old organisation of respawning ninjas seems like something the more powerful superheroes should deal with. Hell, they'd pose a challenge to the Avengers if they played their cards right.

Such a shame. I loved Jessica Jones for being and staying low key.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Krinkle posted:

(daredevil) It's kind of extremely hosed up to say black sky is a huge existential threat to the world, well what's it do, nobody knows for sure, but it's this girl right here and has been for twenty years. gently caress you. You don't give a poo poo if you don't even know. The absolute laziness of that writing to make a human being a living macguffin was the most insulting thing. The one you killed in the first season had something obviously wrong with its heartbeat and was ominous but in the second season this character he's known since college doesn't. Whatever.

Punisher scenes were pretty good though. Loved those fight choreography where DD has to punch out a thug and stop frank from giving someone a killing blow alternatingly.

The black sky in the first season was raised by the hand so it would be different then one that was not.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Taeke posted:

I was totally hooked for the first 3/4th of the season. She was cool and mysterious, the Punisher was awesome and I loved his trial, jailtime, escape and subsequent mayhem but it really fell apart in the last 3 or 4 episodes, to the point that I found myself doing other things while watching. I guess all the conspiracy/supernatural ancient assasin stuff felt out of place somehow. The first season set the whole Daredevil thing up as a street-level vigilante fighting comporate corruption and organised crime, you know? Things a blind albeit super skilled hero could deal with. A centuries old organisation of respawning ninjas seems like something the more powerful superheroes should deal with. Hell, they'd pose a challenge to the Avengers if they played their cards right.

Fun fact: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were based off the darkety dark Daredevil stuff from Frank Miller, going so far as to have the same accident that gave Daredevil his powers also create the turtles. Daredevil's main villain group is The Hand. TMNT, of course, fight The Foot.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Taeke posted:

That was all hinted about and/or shown in the first season

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Zodiac peeve:

Jake Gyllenhaal's character doesn't age a day in fifteen-ish years, yet Michael Mageau is played by two different people even though he's 19 when he's introduced.

And that's the only thing that bothered me. What a fantastic movie.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Taeke posted:

It also bugged me how many plot points went unresolved, like both why the Hand ninjas had autopsy scars, or the point of that giant pit they're digging. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for setting up some stuff for the ongoing series, either for Daredevil season 3 or when they do the Defenders, but to have so much seem like a big reveal only to amount to nothing was pretty frustrating.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Thaddius the Large posted:

It also bugged me how many plot points went unresolved, like both why the Hand ninjas had autopsy scars, or the point of that giant pit they're digging. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for setting up some stuff for the ongoing series, either for Daredevil season 3 or when they do the Defenders, but to have so much seem like a big reveal only to amount to nothing was pretty frustrating.

In regards to the spoiler They can bring back the dead

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

bobkatt013 posted:

In regards to the spoiler They can bring back the dead

I gathered as much, what with Nobu and all, but they didn't really explain how, whether the autopsy scars were a part of that, or what the Hand's plan was, nor did any of it really go anywhere. Maybe I'm getting too finicky about stuff not getting explicitly stated versus just alluded to, but given how the season ended I just wound up feeling unsatisfied.

Thaddius the Large has a new favorite as of 02:47 on Mar 28, 2016

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Zodiac peeve:

Jake Gyllenhaal's character doesn't age a day in fifteen-ish years, yet Michael Mageau is played by two different people even though he's 19 when he's introduced.

What bothered me was Ted Cruz wasn't in that movie at all?

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Fun fact: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were based off the darkety dark Daredevil stuff from Frank Miller, going so far as to have the same accident that gave Daredevil his powers also create the turtles. Daredevil's main villain group is The Hand. TMNT, of course, fight The Foot.

Stick/Splinter as well. Plus they both get splashed by weird mutagenic ooze. I believe there's a TMNT comic page floating around from their origin story that actually has Matt getting splashed in the background.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Polaron posted:

Stick/Splinter as well. Plus they both get splashed by weird mutagenic ooze. I believe there's a TMNT comic page floating around from their origin story that actually has Matt getting splashed in the background.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Gaunab posted:

I dislike Iron-man 3 because of the Mandarin thing. Instead of using him to build on Tony's fears, they went for cheap twist.

In BvS one thing that stood out to me is Lex Luthor has group of PMC's that frame Superman which could have been a good basis for a story but that's another story. Anyway the frame Superman but they use bullets and not only do they use bullets but they use special bullets made by Lex Luthor. Why? Why have any way for that to be traced back to you? It just made no sense like a lot of things in the movie.

So much about that movie's plot was was messy and felt like last-minute changes. Primarily Batman's whole beef with Superman being the deaths resulting from the Zod fight in MoS which was a pretty compelling reason for him to want to stop Supes. Then at the end before they throw down in the middle of the city a reporter tells everyone 'well since tonight is Friday this entire portion of of town is deserted.' Besides not making much sense it just came across as cheap justification for collateral damage to not be a factor.

They could have had it be the moment where the two finally see eye to eye, where Superman tries his best to prevent collateral damage right at the start by taking the fight into space and Batman acknowledges when that fails that they need to stop Doomsday before he gets stronger even if there will be casualties. But instead we get an voiced-over line that just handwaves the issue and comes across as thrown in at the last second.

Also, the fact that they made a painfully long scene previewing the other DC characters but then had a major point that the MacGuffin they needed was tossed into the water and Lois was trapped with it and drowning. It was such a deliberate setup that I'm pretty certain Aquaman was supposed to be introduced there but the writers realized the movie was already waaay to long to begin with and rewrote his character to be 'Bruce watches YouTube video of Khal Drogo swimming.'

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Saw it tonight (BvS) and there were a LOT of IIMM but most of it came from "Man, I'd have done that differently" story wise.

My main one, and this is in the trailers so I don't consider it a spoiler, is that Bat's suit is already hosed up and dinged and scratched and poo poo BEFORE the fight. That's just... weird.

Bigger spoilers concerning the above They show Alfred building the god damned thing and tweaking the helmet and armor and all that jazz, so it should be at least shiny and new looking for the god damned helmet, but noooo, it has to be all scratched and dinged. Made no sense.

There were way larger spoilers I'd lob out about more IIMM, but again, it's more of a "why the gently caress did they do it that way?" and less of a "Oh, that's loving retarded". Except some things are, in fact, loving retarded.

Still, fun movie. Long movie though, but I'm still gonna check out the director's cut with the extra half hour so I can see some of the plot stuff they dropped. Hoping it explains the next IIMM I had with it. Big spoilers. Doomsday still looks like a god damned mongoloid ninja turtle. He transforms like 3 times, and still, each god damned time he looks like a loving cave troll. Never gets the bone plates over his eyes or anything like that to change the shape of his face, just loving... bone nubs. Also, the whole "Zod to Doomsday" thing was loving retarded. Lex finds out that the ship can do poo poo (HOW THE gently caress DID SUPERMAN NOT INVESTIGATE THE ONLY REMAINING LINK TO HIS PLANET?), goes and decides to drop a naked Zod into a large vat of chicken stock, and then cut himself because THAT'S HOW YOU MAKE A DEFORMED KRYPTONIAN. What in the poo poo? Does that mean if Clark and Lois have a kid it's gonna be some giant tard smashing through the world?

Not saying the above ruined the movie for me, because it didn't, but gently caress if it didn't take me out of the movie for a bit.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I love the movie Lake Mungo, but the most iconic moment in the story is an IMM for me.

Near the end of the film, a scene of a young woman's cell phone recording is displayed. She films an image coming up to her, which as it comes closer is revealed to be an image of herself. Specifically, an image of how she will look in a year or so, after drowning in a lake.

The problem I have with the scene is rooted in its realism: the recording is era-accurate for a phone video, meaning the recording is relatively low quality/resolution. The images that should be scaring or disturbing are neither, because there's not enough there to make a scary picture.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Zodiac peeve:

In the Gerard Butler/Jamie Foxx movie Law Abiding Citizen they do something kind of weird along those same lines. There's a time skip after the opening of the movie to like 10-12 years later and everyone looks the same except one minor character who gets heavily made up to look older and then he's only in the movie for like 5 minutes.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
BvS:

What in the ever-living gently caress was up with Batman's dream sequence? I get that he's concerned that the near-worship of Superman will lead to some bad poo poo happening, but what in the world were those weird bug-men? And then, after he wakes up for the first time, who in the gently caress was that weird blurry dude who sort of seemed like he was from the future? I guess he was saying something about the suit? The suit is key? Like...Batman wouldn't think to make an armored suit to fight the strongest person on Earth without a weird maybe-future-man telling him?

I also didn't understand why at the start, people are talking about the 'Bat-Vigilante' and the 'Bat of Gotham' like he's this new guy, when clearly Batman was active a while ago, and even had a Robin that was most-likely killed by The Joker. He even has his Bat-Signal that Superman suddenly knows about when previously he didn't seem to know a drat thing about Batman.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It was a vision of the future where the forces of Apokalips have conquered Earth. The big Omega in the ground is the symbol of their leader, Darkseid. While the bug guys are Parademons, Apokaliptan shock troops. The guy who talks to him was the movie Flash, wearing some weird suit.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
A large portion of BvS's issues stem from them cramming several scripts together and making a mess of it all.

Batmans motivation is fine but required a solo film to actually flesh out how he went from crime fighter to willing to kill superman to save the earth for no reason. The dream sequences are foreshadowing that needed more time and thought to be coherent instead of the jumbled mess we got.

So basically it should have just been a loving Batman film with perhaps a small bunch of cameos from Superman that leads into an actual confrontation.

Also Doomsday is a loving terrible "villain" and an awful "monster to end the film with".

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Doomsday would have been fine if he wasn't an orc from lord of the rings and if Man of Steel didn't already end in a fight with Zod.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Yeah the design is awful - it honestly looks like the poo poo you see in first year student concept art portfolios.

The scene with him jumping off the building and skidding into frame has no sense of weight, so it really looks like a videogame cutscene.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Cowslips Warren posted:

So my mom, who overall doesn't like superhero movies, is wanting to see Deadpool because of who plays him. Fine with me, I want to see it too. So to, somehow, show me what a great actor this guy is, she throws on a movie with him and Sandra Bullock called The Proposal. And it's the most poo poo movie ever, where Sandra is some Canadian publisher or businesswoman (everyone in her office hates her but she's the boss and a huge oval office to everyone) on a green card working in the US, and her card gets called and she has to go back. So she demands the guy marry her because then she can stay in the US. He doesn't want to, she says he is fired otherwise, he tells his parents he's engaged, and she has to go meet the family in some whacky comedy where she, of course, makes everyone fall in love with how awkward and cute she is. But the basis of the movie is that somehow they fall in love and really get married.

Okay whatever. But switch the genders and it's a male boss telling his female subordinate she is going to marry him or get fired, and he is forced to meet her family who totally loves him despite him being a horrible control freak, and it comes off super creepy and rapey.

Oh, and can't forget all the funny sexual stuff in the movie, like where the two leads stumble naked over each other and it's all so quirky and funny and this is not loving a good movie!

It's not a romantic comedy if you flip the genders and it reads like 50 Shades of Grey!

My mother-in-law recommended this movie and since then I have discounted all her movie advice by about 99%. Yeah it's cool that the boss chick explicitly threatens Ryan Reynolds that if he doesn't marry her she'll deliberately blackball him to where he'll never be able to work in publishing again. She coerces him with totally credible threats into being in a relationship with her. This movie is about a literally-criminal act of extorting and threatening someone into doing something totally against their own interests.

Second, the INS doesn't give a gently caress if you just got married last week. They will 100% still deport you, people's spouses get deported every day of the week. If they don't think it's utterly legit you're SOL. Having had it just happen hours before she's supposed to get deported means they would straight-up ignore it. Even if they did really fall in love in the space of 2 days (Stockholm syndrome?) the US Gov does not care.

Third, ok you've coerced, threatened, and manipulated the dude into pretending to be in a relationship with you- and you won't even offer the dude a handjob? Come on!

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

Grendels Dad posted:

My IIRM is that Braveheart forever ruined scenes like that for me. The FREEDOM speech was just so powerful to me as a child that every similar rousing speech before a big battle just pales in comparison. 300 did OK by being plain about it and the big rousing speech amounted to "Tonight we will gently caress THEIR poo poo UP!"

Watch Henry V's (Kenneth Bragath) version of the Battle of Agincourt - epic poo poo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-yZNMWFqvM

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Kontradaz posted:

Watch Henry V's (Kenneth Bragath) version of the Battle of Agincourt - epic poo poo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-yZNMWFqvM

I swear I posted this when we were talking about that before, but looking back I didn't. Maybe it was another thread?

I love that scene and Branagh's delivery was loving perfect. "We happy few, we band of brothers, for he who sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother..." is one of the most classic lines of all literature.

Also to tie this back into our recent comic book discussions, I think its really cool that Branagh somehow got to direct Thor, and I wish they'd have given him Thor 2 since he isn't a complete hack.

Instead they just got some guy whos total experience was helping HBO shoot episodes of shows here and there.

Actually looking it up they offered Thor 2 to Branagh but he declined. Guess he decided he had enough of the superheroes.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Uncle Enzo posted:

My mother-in-law recommended this movie and since then I have discounted all her movie advice by about 99%. Yeah it's cool that the boss chick explicitly threatens Ryan Reynolds that if he doesn't marry her she'll deliberately blackball him to where he'll never be able to work in publishing again. She coerces him with totally credible threats into being in a relationship with her. This movie is about a literally-criminal act of extorting and threatening someone into doing something totally against their own interests.

Second, the INS doesn't give a gently caress if you just got married last week. They will 100% still deport you, people's spouses get deported every day of the week. If they don't think it's utterly legit you're SOL. Having had it just happen hours before she's supposed to get deported means they would straight-up ignore it. Even if they did really fall in love in the space of 2 days (Stockholm syndrome?) the US Gov does not care.

Third, ok you've coerced, threatened, and manipulated the dude into pretending to be in a relationship with you- and you won't even offer the dude a handjob? Come on!

Watch more rom-coms. This sort if thing is how they roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Kontradaz posted:

Another great version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9fa3HFR02E