Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
What's to be done for these wise robots in route B? I found two and hacked them for their little monologue but haven't found any more or anything to do with them besides hacking the one twice and killing it. Is this part of a quest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

Deified Data posted:

What's to be done for these wise robots in route B? I found two and hacked them for their little monologue but haven't found any more or anything to do with them besides hacking the one twice and killing it. Is this part of a quest?

Despite the quest marker on the map, there's no quest. There are 3 total.

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

After shotgunning through the second half of the Drakengard 3 LP, I'm starting to revise my stance on a NieR:Automata sequel. Where I had been chomping at the bit for another NieR sequel, now I would prefer if he took a break and did something completely different for a few years.

Even though the games were released only 3 years apart there's a massive difference in :yokotaro: between Drakengard 3 and NieR:Automata. Drakengard/Drag-on Dragoon will forever be Yoko Taro's baby for him to whack around as he pleases because gently caress the world and I can always lock myself in my locker if things go south.

But with NieR and especially NieR:Automata, the entire tone is clearly subdued, as though you're looking at a polished metal locker with only small wisps of Yoko Taro seeping out from the cracks. He's said that he doesn't want expectations put on his work and he'll do his best to eschew those expectations in order to create something unique and unexpected instead. Applied to NieR:Automata and given its acclaim and how far it's pierced into mainstream gaming, a sequel would most likely either 1) tactically nuke the series back down to earth by pissing off mainstream gamers, thereby losing future AAA budgets forever; or 2) take Yoko Taro's soul and stab it through the head i.e. restrain him and not allow his full personality to shine through.

I know it's a cynical viewpoint (maybe too much Drakengard for me lately) but I really feel he must have pent-up "strange" creative energy he needs to release somehow. I hope he gets a few years to do a project he truly wants to do. I wouldn't want him to burn out.

I could also be completely wrong about this and maybe Yoko Taro actually prefers working on high budget mainstream style games because he likes money. Or, wait- maybe this has been Yosuke Saito's plan all along, turning Yoko Taro mainstream and taking away his personality? gently caress Yosuke Saito. :love:

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
While D3's story is much more insane than Nier's, I don't think I'd call either of the Niers "mainstream". In fact, I might sooner call D3 more mainstream since it has much more consistent gameplay. Although, you might be right that a future Nier 3 might become watered down because Taro himself has said that he wants his games to be completely different from one another. With the success of Nier 2, he might be forced by the bean counters to make something that's too similar for his taste.

Whatever he does though, I hope he works with Monaca and Emi Evans again for the soundtrack and Platinum for the gameplay. As far as I'm concerned, that's the game dev dream team right now and whatever they make with their forces combined cannot possibly be bad.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
As long as there's Keiichi Okabe and Emi Evans I'm down. The rest is just gravy.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Hikaki posted:

While D3's story is much more insane than Nier's, I don't think I'd call either of the Niers "mainstream". In fact, I might sooner call D3 more mainstream since it has much more consistent gameplay.
I don't know what definition of "consistent" you're using here but I would argue that a game with combat by Platinum is infinitely more mainstream than D3, which was the final entry in the proud tradition of "sigh, if I have to" lovely-Drakengard-basically-bad-musou-game combat.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
if the idea of platinum doing some heavy lifting to make a Yoko Taro experience actually playable and helping him sell enough copies to win him thousands of new fans triggers your hipster "mainstream"-alerts then don't worry, Square Enix will bring him back to not having a budget sooner than he'd like.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I thought the only reason he was allowed to stick around long enough for Automata to happen is that there's some suit who really loves his games and keeps giving him teams and budgets despite everything he'd made up to that point selling like garbage and being (sometimes intentionally) awful to play.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Hikaki posted:

While D3's story is much more insane than Nier's, I don't think I'd call either of the Niers "mainstream". In fact, I might sooner call D3 more mainstream since it has much more consistent gameplay.
3 million copies sounds pretty mainstream to me.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Got the let 2B die to the virus ending at the beginning of Route C and to my surprise I'm kicked back to the beginning of the segment and it ignored my save near the rope bridge. I was mad until I remembered Pod telling me the virus was preventing data back-ups...touche, game. Of course that bit of flavor dialogue actually means something concrete, why wouldn't it.

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:
I really want to see him making a game without combat. From what he said in interviews he'd vastly prefer doing that but the publishers won't back it.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Yoko Taro's Detroit: Become Replicant

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Yoko Taro's Text Adventure That's Just The Forest Of Myth From Nier

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Bullet hell text adventure

Multiplayer is battle royale between J-pop idols

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Deified Data posted:

Got the let 2B die to the virus ending at the beginning of Route C and to my surprise I'm kicked back to the beginning of the segment and it ignored my save near the rope bridge. I was mad until I remembered Pod telling me the virus was preventing data back-ups...touche, game. Of course that bit of flavor dialogue actually means something concrete, why wouldn't it.
It's not just a flavour decision. It's there to stop you accidentally (or deliberately) saving yourself in an unwinnable situation as much as anything else.

Are there any other times the game secretly checkpoints you instead of kicking you back to where you last actually saved? I don't remember any.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

FractalSandwich posted:

It's not just a flavour decision. It's there to stop you accidentally (or deliberately) saving yourself in an unwinnable situation as much as anything else.

Are there any other times the game secretly checkpoints you instead of kicking you back to where you last actually saved? I don't remember any.

Might have seen an LP where this happens in the intro? That's the only time I encountered it.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
I bought the concert bluray on Amazon JP and it came in yesterday. Saved like almost 30 bucks vs the Square store one at the cost of subtitles but eh, who cares, all the translations are online anyway and Kyle and his friends did an english version of the skits on stream.

I already watched the concert back when it was newish but it's nice to have a copy of it, plus to show my continued support. Also have the next CD soundtrack special box preordered as well.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I don't know what definition of "consistent" you're using here but I would argue that a game with combat by Platinum is infinitely more mainstream than D3, which was the final entry in the proud tradition of "sigh, if I have to" lovely-Drakengard-basically-bad-musou-game combat.

By "consistent" I mean that D3 is a brawler/musou game from start to finish. Nier experiments with different genres. I am ignoring the final boss of D3 here, which I realize is its strongest argument for uniqueness.

My idea of "mainstream" is not about what studio made the game or how many copies it sold, but more about how fresh the ideas behind the story, presentation, and gameplay are.

I would still call Nier 2 a niche title even with its critical and financial success. Maybe I will call Nier 5 mainstream when it comes out and the "multiple genre gameplay with poignant story, strong consistent themes, and rich soundtrack" formula has become cliche, but right now both Niers feel extremely refreshing.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Deified Data posted:

Might have seen an LP where this happens in the intro? That's the only time I encountered it.

It definitely doesn't, I know because when I started playing I died to the boss of the intro bit and had to start all over again :(

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

FractalSandwich posted:

Several boss fights. You can see it with Simone pretty early on.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
So route C has given me the chance to pick between A2 and 9S a couple times and I picked the former both times. Am I meant to be switching back and forth or am I good to just stick with my choice?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Deified Data posted:

So route C has given me the chance to pick between A2 and 9S a couple times and I picked the former both times. Am I meant to be switching back and forth or am I good to just stick with my choice?

It doesn't matter, you end up doing all the content anyway. There might be a couple things that make more sense if you alternate, but nothing major.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
You have the two stories running parallel. Eventually you will have to play as Nines, but you can do it however you wish.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

IMO it feels much more appropriate to swap each time, I don’t really understand why anyone wouldn’t...

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Akuma posted:

IMO it feels much more appropriate to swap each time, I don’t really understand why anyone wouldn’t...

Mostly just missed the combat and wanted to spend a bit more time with my new toys I spent route B upgrading. I also spent maybe double the time as 9S than 2B doing sidequests so I wanted to get back into it. I'll swap next time it lets me though.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Hey guys, I loving loved this game and so I picked up NieR 1 a while back.

Does it work the same way as far as Automata in terms of routes and endings? Anything missable? Any annoying things to watch out for? I don't need to do every last thing but I'd like to see the major endings and any especially poignant sidequests.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Does it work the same way as far as Automata in terms of routes and endings? Anything missable? Any annoying things to watch out for? I don't need to do every last thing but I'd like to see the major endings and any especially poignant sidequests.

The final ultimate two endings of NieR (C and D) are only gettable after you get all the weapons, so uhhh good luck.

It's worth playing at least through the different routes though, there's a lot of straight-up replaying segments but it's worth it for the story beats.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Sort of. You're always playing the same character instead of rotating between multiple, and Route B is similar to Automata in that you're replaying a chunk of the game but with a new perspective. C and D are just branch endings, though.

Badingading
Sep 2, 2011

For endings C and D once you qualify for them you can just save at the final save point, do ending C, then reload the save and go ahead with D, no need to play through a fourth time.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Alternatively, play through A and B and Youtube C and D.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Mega64 posted:

Alternatively, play through A and B and Youtube C and D.

Don't do this.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!
If you're the kind of person who cares about getting your side quest completion rate to 100%, make sure you have 51% by the halfway point because that's the point of no return.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I do not recall getting and upgrading all the weapons in Nier 1 to be all that hard, but I did it many years ago.

So, I've gotten every ending in Automata except for Y (the Emil one), I have all the weapons now and I'm ready to start grinding for those upgrade mats. Is there a recommended area that I can just patrol and kill everything and have it drop most of what I need?

Additionally ran into the lv.99 boss that is the pre-req to ending Y and didn't stand a chance at almost lv.70. Am I missing anything? I couldn't even get breathing room to hack him.

Other than this obstacle I'm kind of on a path to plat'ing this game legitimately, just clearing up some side quests.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
There are endgames shops (look up how the mobile one works) that were pretty useful to cut a lot of material grinding short for me, at worst you can make a drop-rate build and brawl a bit to pick up machine cores for selling. I'll never get those 10 pure waters tho.

Unfortunately i think if there's a 20+ level gap enemies will hit you like a brick and barely take damage. Back when i played you could powerlevel to 99 pretty smoothly with the secret bunny statue boss by hacking it with 9S for 5+ levels per kill but apparently that has been patched since. Maybe the DLC arenas give decent xp?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Deified Data posted:

I do not recall getting and upgrading all the weapons in Nier 1 to be all that hard, but I did it many years ago.

So, I've gotten every ending in Automata except for Y (the Emil one), I have all the weapons now and I'm ready to start grinding for those upgrade mats. Is there a recommended area that I can just patrol and kill everything and have it drop most of what I need?

Additionally ran into the lv.99 boss that is the pre-req to ending Y and didn't stand a chance at almost lv.70. Am I missing anything? I couldn't even get breathing room to hack him.

Other than this obstacle I'm kind of on a path to plat'ing this game legitimately, just clearing up some side quests.

I remember thinking I could hack him and it was a complete nightmare. I would go in as 2B and just try to smack/shoot him.

With regards to materials, I don't know if there's one specific area for grinding. I remember going to the Forest King's throne room a lot for some kind of machine part I needed.

With regards to above, you can still hack the bunny – but you can't wake him up by hacking. So you have to smack him a bunch, then you hack a few times and gain like five levels.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
How do you fight him as 2B? Doesn't the whole series of events reset when you chapter select? At least it did for me when I stole the mask as 2B but had to open the chest as 9S - it has me meet Emil and steal the mask all over again.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Yeah, you can just chapter select to whenever, shop with him once, go steal his mask, and then fight him.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

If all you want to do is grind out to 99 you can go to the desert and there's a spot (I believe it's where you first fought Adam) where enemies spawn infinitely at a low enough level to not be a threat but still high enough to be reasonable xp.

Equip some xp+ chips and go to town, if you really want to just get it done you can stick it on easy and turn on the auto chips to do it for you while you idle. Doesn't take very long at all for either method.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Deified Data posted:

How do you fight him as 2B? Doesn't the whole series of events reset when you chapter select? At least it did for me when I stole the mask as 2B but had to open the chest as 9S - it has me meet Emil and steal the mask all over again.

yeah you can only do the first superboss fight as 9S because you need to be able to hack the chest. You can still powerlevel off the amusement park bunny, but you have to spend the time whacking him to get him to wake up before you can hack him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
I'm at the Forest Kingdom part, and I have a feeling this game is about to get really depressing.