Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Fulchrum posted:

And the aforementioned groups have proven over and over and over again that those needs are not enough to make them support the rights for anyone different to themselves.

We've been over this. 24% of Americans would agree to live in a box underneath a bridge using a curtain rod to cook a sparrow over a garbage fire, so long as you can guarantee them that the family under the next bridge, who is different to them in some way, doesn't get a rod, a sparrow or a box.

Seems like that would leave [does extremely complicated math] 76% who could be convinced otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I guess this thread is done with reforming the dnc and is slinging zingers against centrist enemies full time.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

Seems like that would leave [does extremely complicated math] 76% who could be convinced otherwise.

Which is why, try and follow me here, we should try and convince them, and not give a poo poo if we insult the sexists, the racists and the homophobes. The deplorables were never going to switch, because nothing on this earth will ever be more important to them than their feeling of white straight male superiority.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
Friendly reminder that the future platform of the left should be jobs, equality, guns, and weed for all.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

temple posted:

I guess this thread is done with reforming the dnc and is slinging zingers against centrist enemies full time.

Lol is you thought a something awful thread was a good place to organize real political action.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Fulchrum posted:

Which is why, try and follow me here, we should try and convince them, and not give a poo poo if we insult the sexists, the racists and the homophobes.

There is literally nobody arguing otherwise.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

There is literally nobody arguing otherwise.

Except for the guy that I replied to, who said not appealing enough to bigots is why Hillary lost.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Fulchrum posted:

Except for the guy that I replied to, who said not appealing enough to bigots is why Hillary lost.

No, they did not. They explicitly said, "without endorsing racism, sexist, or homophobia."

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Friendly reminder that the future platform of the left should be jobs, equality, guns, and weed for all.

Oh gently caress off with guns. The idea that dems are coming to take yur FREEDUMS is so heavily baked into single issue gun voters culture that nothing dems say or do will have any impact on them. So the party may as well own being the same party by pointing at massacres in schools and nightclubs and saying "that poo poo is hosed up. We need to do something to stop it."

Serf
May 5, 2011

Fulchrum posted:

Oh gently caress off with guns. The idea that dems are coming to take yur FREEDUMS is so heavily baked into single issue gun voters culture that nothing dems say or do will have any impact on them. So the party may as well own being the same party by pointing at massacres in schools and nightclubs and saying "that poo poo is hosed up. We need to do something to stop it."

because this strategy has worked out so well for us so far

time to arm up

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

No, they did not. They explicitly said, "without endorsing racism, sexist, or homophobia."

Battle Royale Baby posted:

Hmm yes those deplorables mean nothing to an election. Let's let them be as we celebrate our president elect Clinton over tea and crumpets, shall we?

This guy.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Joementum posted:

Forget it Joe, it's Fulchrumtown.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Fulchrum posted:

You're not wrong, but at the same time there isn't actually any meaningful policy that could be made to make a dent in it. We as a nation decided this is alright, and it's the new normal. Why even address it other than saying that, if it's going to alienate voters.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Serf posted:

because this strategy has worked out so well for us so far

time to arm up

Once again, you could make a far, far better argument for giving up on income inequality if you are saying "it hasn't worked yet, ahh gently caress it, let's abandon it".

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

You're not wrong, but at the same time there isn't actually any meaningful policy that could be made to make a dent in it. We as a nation decided this is alright, and it's the new normal. Why even address it other than saying that, if it's going to alienate voters.

Again, without changing a word, this could easily be about income inequality. America has accepted that it is a nation of winners and losers, where the winners earned their success by being born to the right parents.

Fulchrum has issued a correction as of 20:58 on Nov 27, 2016

Serf
May 5, 2011

Fulchrum posted:

Once again, you could make a far, far better argument for giving up on income inequality if you are saying "it hasn't worked yet, ahh gently caress it, let's abandon it".

you've said this several times and it doesn't stop being stupid hth

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Serf posted:

you've said this several times and it doesn't stop being stupid hth

Now I see the problem, you don't know the difference between stupid and something that makes you uncomfortable to hear.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Fulchrum posted:

This guy.

That's not what he loving said you fishmechian troll

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Fulchrum posted:

Now I see the problem, you don't know the difference between stupid and something that makes you uncomfortable to hear.

You're stupid AND uncomfortable to hear

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Just quietly marginalize gun ownership like smoking I guess. Either way it is not the hill to die on today, as much as I dont like them myself

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Fulchrum posted:

If you think supporting those who want to keep guns out of the hands of poor minorities is more important than supporting the well being of the working class and the integrity of our democracy, then yes, you should start arguing we should abandon the working class and unions and the poor and try to find or make enough Republican voters cross over to support your policy as a priority.

Like, there are a ton of racists you could probably get to support gun control if you were willing to cater to them, and if you really think its that important you should.

If you dont, then you should drop it.

We can win on fighting income inequality without catering to racia and xenophobie. You cannot win on gun control without doing it.

GlyphGryph has issued a correction as of 21:07 on Nov 27, 2016

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Fulchrum posted:

Again, without changing a word, this could easily be about income inequality. America has accepted that it is a nation of winners and losers, where the winners earned their success by being born to the right parents.

This is really dumb, as there are demonstrable examples of other countries with much less income disparity, whereas there's no other nation with the gun genie out of the bottle the way it is here.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Fulchrum posted:

nah, pretty sure you're just an idiot lol

Here's a productive idea: we ought to start organizing Democrat shooting clubs. Work on increasing gun safety, marksmanship skills, and participation in hunting and sport shooting where we can. The problem isn't about getting America to accept that guns are here to stay, they've already done that, it's in convincing Democrats we should embrace guns and remove this barrier between us and the American electorate. And hey, as people have said, the sight of armed minorities exercising their 2nd Amendment rights sure would aid the cause of gun control lmao.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

GlyphGryph posted:

If you think supporting those who want to keep guns out of the hands of poor minorities is more important than supporting the well being of the working class and the integrity of our democracy, then yes, you should start arguing we should abandon the working class and unions and the poor and try to find or make enough Republican voters cross over to support your policy as a priority.
I don't think you could project any harder if we tried to shove an Imax cinema through your stomach.

This is really dumb, as there are demonstrable examples of other countries with much less income disparity, whereas there's no other nation with the gun genie out of the bottle the way it is here.

Those are two completely different arguments you're using like for like with. To make your gun genie argument, you'd need an example of a country where inequality was so rampant, pronounced and accepted, and was then ended easily. That country doesn't exist either.

Or, on the other hand, I could just name a bunch of countries where they are sensible about guns.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Chris Sununu, Governor-elect of New Hampshire, has stated that he will repeal same day voter registration in the state. Which was put into place in 1993 under fellow Republican Governor Steve Merrill.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Fulchrum posted:

Those are two completely different arguments you're using like for like with. To make your gun genie argument, you'd need an example of a country where inequality was so rampant, pronounced and accepted, and was then ended easily. That country doesn't exist either.

LOL you are the one acting like the two issues are similar. They aren't. In fact this very country has had less income inequality in its own past. Are you asserting it's simply impossible to go back to that, largely by increasing the taxes on the wealthiest to where they were then?

quote:

Or, on the other hand, I could just name a bunch of countries where they are sensible about guns.

None of those countries had gun ownership as rampant as it is, and also codified into their rights

OhFunny posted:

Chris Sununu, Governor-elect of New Hampshire, has stated that he will repeal same day voter registration in the state. Which was put into place in 1993 under fellow Republican Governor Steve Merrill.

Are they even pretending anymore that it's about anything but disenfranchising Dem voters?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

instead of engaging with that guy, I'm just going to post out interesting facts about the Xbox One

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
guns were a mistake

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
bring back swords

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I'm thinking of hosting a political based podcast show where multiple people have discussions on political topics. Would anyone in this thread like to join in?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

logikv9 posted:

bring back swords

???

how do I register this noble firearm

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Weeping Wound posted:

???

how do I register this noble firearm

The Anime Act bans the use of such weapons

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Kurtofan posted:

The Anime Act bans the use of such weapons

if we ban anime swords, then only criminals will have anime swords

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

LOL you are the one acting like the two issues are similar. They aren't. In fact this very country has had less income inequality in its own past. Are you asserting it's simply impossible to go back to that, largely by increasing the taxes on the wealthiest to where they were then?
The country was also less goddamn insane about guns in the past. Don't try and use the "we just need to go back in time" poo poo.

And look up the popularity of common sense gun control vs raising the taxes on the rich to the level they were at in 1950 to see which would be easier to sell to the American people today.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Fulchrum posted:

The country was also less goddamn insane about guns in the past. Don't try and use the "we just need to go back in time" poo poo.

And look up the popularity of common sense gun control vs raising the taxes on the rich to the level they were at in 1950 to see which would be easier to sell to the American people today.

"Common Sense Gun Laws" wouldn't really do much because again, the genie is out of the bottle. The law isn't going to stop someone from using easily obtainable and available guns from going on a spree.

Here's the popularity of taxing the wealthy more: just over half.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
we've passed the gun critical point and now it's guns all the way down

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

"The country used to not be insane about guns" because the right of an individual to own a gun was never questioned, until minorities began arming themselves.

Serf
May 5, 2011

logikv9 posted:

bring back swords

you have my axe

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
Have we reached peak gun yet or can we still like glue extra guns to our guns or some poo poo

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Even a repeal of the 2nd amendment and a full disarmament effort wouldn't work because A) a lot of gun owners would fight back, using said guns and B) People would just hide the guns they own. And honestly, even as someone who hates guns, I don't think they should only be in the hands of cops and the military anyhow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZrFVtmRXrw

• Locked thread