Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Ummmm,

Nice keg mod?

I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodeJanitor
Mar 30, 2005
I still can't think of anything to say.
^ :toughguy:

So they just cut apart and bolted together a keg?

Irregardless
Jan 19, 2007

not even once.

"So you put the smaller end in your rear end?"

"Yes, and the tapered middle section allows your rear end in a top hat to hold it in place all day."

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

That certainly looks like a knock off of the Chinese knock off of the US design the Chinese stole. If it works and if it is filled with FOGBANK areogel or styrofoam are entirely different questions.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/09/02/trump-plans-withdrawal-from-south-korea-trade-deal

This is excellent timing to tear up a trade deal with our key ally in the region, while North Korea plays chicken with missiles over Japan. If he wasn't completely incompetent I would claim he does these things for maximum destructive effect, like the diasterous Nato speech.

By the way, why does Trump hate free global trade so much? Is it something Steven Bannon and Alex Jones tell him is bad, or is it simply "I am world's biggest best negotiator, I will get the BEST deals MAGA" drivel in his head?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

TulliusCicero posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/09/02/trump-plans-withdrawal-from-south-korea-trade-deal

This is excellent timing to tear up a trade deal with our key ally in the region, while North Korea plays chicken with missiles over Japan. If he wasn't completely incompetent I would claim he does these things for maximum destructive effect, like the diasterous Nato speech.

By the way, why does Trump hate free global trade so much? Is it something Steven Bannon and Alex Jones tell him is bad, or is it simply "I am world's biggest best negotiator, I will get the BEST deals MAGA" drivel in his head?

It's a nationalist scumbag thing.

Also glad NK knows to flare the base.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Most rich assholes are smart enough to know they can achieve their agenda via dark money - see Kock Brothers, but also every rich gently caress ever

Oh boy is Trump a great example of how if you're born into wealth and are an rear end in a top hat, society will reward that by not stopping you from being rich or an rear end in a top hat. Instead you get to be president.

Also as far as doing things rich assholes do, I guess at this point it's obvious Trump spent the last 10 years doing sleazy rich guy things with Russian oligarchs thinking they were just rubbing elbows and he wasn't involved in geopolitics then at all.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

TulliusCicero posted:

He hasn't gotten over 80s Japan and needs a new Asian punching bag.

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

prom candy posted:

*sips disgusting poison* mmm yes people will respect me as an adult if i trick myself into liking this

Trying to :smug: about people drinking makes you sound like a 20-year-old that still gets swirlied twice a day, hth.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Here's what I don't get: what is North Korea trying to get the U.S. to do? Are they really trying to scare them from invading, because I'd think at this point, Kim would realize that the U.S. would retaliate more and more.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

TulliusCicero posted:

my friend believes its because trump is an idiot who cheats in his own business dealing to get insane lopsided deals that he can escape from. so any deal not made by him is poo poo. he legit thinks international trade between to countries is the same as his stupid bullshit.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Willo567 posted:

Here's what I don't get: what is North Korea trying to get the U.S. to do? Are they really trying to scare them from invading, because I'd think at this point, Kim would realize that the U.S. would retaliate more and more.

North Korea's negotiating position is, and always has been, "If you try to overthrow our dictatorship we will nuke loving somebody. Come at me!"

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Willo567 posted:

I think they're just trolling Trump. They recognize he's a blowhard idiot so they're taking the opportunity to humiliate him and the US.

That's all they're ever up to. They act up against presidents they don't respect.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Deteriorata posted:

I think they're just trolling Trump. They recognize he's a blowhard idiot so they're taking the opportunity to humiliate him and the US.

That's all they're ever up to. They act up against presidents they don't respect.

You do realize that Trump has been thinking about a preemptive strike on North Korea, right? Do they really want to risk the regime over humiliating the U.S.?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Willo567 posted:

You do realize that Trump has been thinking about a preemptive strike on North Korea, right? Do they really want to risk the regime over humiliating the U.S.?

Trump's not going to do anything. If he attacks first, he's got China to deal with and his generals know it. Likewise, if NK does anything they're on their own, so they're not going to do anything either.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Willo567 posted:

The Kim family has long believed that any small dictatorship will inevitably be overthrown by an American president who wants a bump in the polls, and the only defense against this is to be a credible threat that would do too much damage in collapse to be worth deposing. They're probably not wrong.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Willo567 posted:

If Trump preemptively strikes North Korea then China has stated they will defend North Korea.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Kelly posted:

So will "lots of happiness" be Trump's "heck of a job" or should we prepare for something worse?

Trump is more of an actions guy than a single quote guy. Mostly because you need a little bit more context than "said to the director of FEMA as New Orleans was destroyed" to turn his word salad into blood pressure bombs. If I had to go with straight up quotes though I'd still put either "bing bing bong bong" or "no puppet. no puppet. you're the puppet" as most Trumpian quotes so far. Maybe the ol' "ok, allright. i disavow, ok?" chestnut.

LtStorm posted:

I wish we could see the emotion on that little girl's face. The photographer that took the picture is more competent at their job by getting them from this angle than anyone in the Trump administration.

fake edit: Do you suppose Trump demanded the child be rubbed down with hand sanitizer before he would touch her?

You'll note that the only person other than Trump who can see the poor child's expression is frozen in an expression between shock and horror.

Please do not kiss strange children on the lips. Though I guess there's a decent chance Trump is just trying to suck the essence out of the poor kid.

TulliusCicero posted:

The US-Korea Free Trade Agreement was ratified on October 12, 2011. So Obama did it, thus it must go.

I don't know why people keep asking why the old fucker does things. Does it personally benefit him, does it make the shambling shades of people he calls his base cheer, or does it undo something Obama did? Those are the 3 reasons he does anything ever.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Lol that thing isn't an H-bomb, there are physical realities to a fusion bomb and it makes no loving sense with respect to them.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Feinne posted:

Lol that thing isn't an H-bomb, there are physical realities to a fusion bomb and it makes no loving sense with respect to them.

The peanut design is totally real. Just because they copied a design doesn't make it work.

https://fas.org/sgp/eprint/morland.html

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

The peanut design is totally real. Just because they copied a design doesn't make it work.

https://fas.org/sgp/eprint/morland.html

No I'm just saying there's no way that thing contains enough LiD to do anything meaningful.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Just strengthening the theory that he's the troll from Cat's Eye.

CodeJanitor
Mar 30, 2005
I still can't think of anything to say.

"Oh wow, it doesn't rub off...huh"

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Feinne posted:

No I'm just saying there's no way that thing contains enough LiD to do anything meaningful.

Possibly but the package size still looks larger than comparable US devices.

quote:

a W88 warhead manages to yield up to 475 kt with a physics package 68.9 in (1.75 m) long, with a maximum diameter of 21.8 in (0.55 m), and weighing probably less than 800 lb (360 kg).

Like that looks like way more than 21 inches in maximum diameter to me.

Maybe this is just short NK people throwing off my eyes, and I'm certainly too lazy to measure that poo poo. I'll wait for a blog post to own me instead of doing it myself.

I'm not saying it isn't empty just that it seems like they researched their mockup a little at least.

Edit: I hope it turns out to be a depth of field trick and the bomb is like 2 inches long.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

Possibly but the package size still looks larger than comparable US devices.

Like that looks like way more than 21 inches in maximum diameter to me.

Maybe this is just short NK people throwing off my eyes, and I'm certainly too lazy to measure that poo poo. I'll wait for a blog post to own me instead of doing it myself.

I'm not saying it isn't empty just that it seems like they researched their mockup a little at least.

Yeah but they're claiming megatons of yield, which is laughable at that size. That is definitely the right size for a smaller bomb, but it's not what they're claiming.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Feinne posted:

Yeah but they're claiming megatons of yield, which is laughable at that size.

Oh yeah that's a loving joke.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

"If you work hard, you can grow up to be a rich white man too!"

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Willo567 posted:

Two things:

1) As others have said, make a show of strength to promise that an attack wouldn't be quick and painless. Trump would love nothing more than to lob a few bombs to look Presidential and in command (see: Afghanistan, Syria) and reminding him that you'll take out Seoul, Tokyo, and/or Seattle if he tries is important to the Kims to keep things safe.

2) Extortion. Time and time again, NK escalates the situation, gets drug to the table by China, then agrees to stop/slow down development/pull troops back/not start poo poo for a while/etc. if it gets food/medicine/etc. from China and SK and the US. This was more common during the famine, and it didn't happen much near the end of Il's reign and the beginning of Un's, but now I think Un's feeling comfortable enough with power that he wants to leverage some Western money out of his father's nuke program.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Trabisnikof posted:

If Trump preemptively strikes North Korea then China has stated they will defend North Korea.

Trump would just give them the South China Sea. And maybe Taiwan. The best deals.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

See, Trump is not racist

Is he kissing that baby on the mouth

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

PT6A posted:

Aspartame is innocuous, but it still tastes like rear end.

For a sweetener, it sure is bitter. Only thing I like it in is Spite Zero, juice, and the sugar-free chocolate puddings I buy for snacks. Everything else just tastes horrible.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

See, Trump is not racist

Just so you know Trump is not racist*, for that same photo op, he brought Ben Carson down with him this time. This photo was cropped, because Carson is behind him. I'm betting that we'll find that the girl is Carson's niece or something that they brought as a ringer, hence the whole "Grandpa Trump" stuff.

Also, just like everything Trump's done, he should have done this the first time. I guess this means that a couple of days from now, he's going to praise Harvey as "fine weather" and that there's "both sides" to what happened in Houston.

It's rudimentary and not polished, but that looks like something. I mean, it could be obviously be fake but given current events and some successful launches recently, it's not out of the realm of possibility. Maybe not an H-bomb, but sure something.

Comparison to other physics packages. Below is the B53, built between 1961-1965, weight 4 tons, yield 9 megatons.

W70 to left, the so-called "neutron bomb", built between 1981-1983, weight 270kg, yield 1 to 100 kilotons

M80, being loaded, current inventory, built between 1979 and 1990, weight 130kg, yield selectable between 5 to 200 kilotons.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Kim Jong Un is such a goon.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Young Freud posted:

For a sweetener, it sure is bitter. Only thing I like it in is Spite Zero, juice, and the sugar-free chocolate puddings I buy for snacks. Everything else just tastes horrible.

Just so you know Trump is not racist*, for that same photo op, he brought Ben Carson down with him this time. This photo was cropped, because Carson is behind him. I'm betting that we'll find that the girl is Carson's niece or something that they brought as a ringer, hence the whole "Grandpa Trump" stuff.

Also, just like everything Trump's done, he should have done this the first time. I guess this means that a couple of days from now, he's going to praise Harvey as "fine weather" and that there's "both sides" to what happened in Houston.

It's rudimentary and not polished, but that looks like something. I mean, it could be obviously be fake but given current events and some successful launches recently, it's not out of the realm of possibility. Maybe not an H-bomb, but sure something.

Comparison to other physics packages. Below is the B53, built between 1961-1965, weight 4 tons, yield 9 megatons.

W70 to left, the so-called "neutron bomb", built between 1981-1983, weight 270kg, yield 1 to 100 kilotons

M80, being loaded, current inventory, built between 1979 and 1990, weight 130kg, yield selectable between 5 to 200 kilotons.

Yeah that is almost certainly a real bomb and could easily be pretty potent, just not the crazy number the NK government is tossing around.

Remember at the end of the day (and simplifying things quite a bit) an H-bomb is a bunch of fusion fuel (usually lithium deuteride) and an atom bomb to get it hot enough to start fusing. And since its power is limited by how much fuel it has, it can kind of only be so small.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Sep 3, 2017

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Alter Ego posted:

"If you work hard, you can grow up to be a rich white man too!"

Worked for Michael Jackson...

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Feinne posted:

Yeah that is almost certainly a real bomb and could easily be pretty potent, just not the crazy number the NK government is tossing around.

Remember at the end of the day (and simplifying things quite a bit) an H-bomb is a bunch of fusion fuel (usually lithium deuteride) and an atom bomb to get it hot enough to start fusing. And since its power is limited by how much fuel it has, it can kind of only be so small.

While I have doubts it could go over a megaton in yield, it's definitely something that could fit in a ballistic missile, which is the more pressing point. This and the successful overshoot in Japan is basically Kim Jong Un saying that the DPRK now has the means to shoot nukes anywhere in the region. He's showing you the gun and the bullets.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Feinne posted:

Well, it's a metal case that's the right size to be a bomb. Whether or not it actually contains a functioning thermonuclear device is another story.

They've been having trouble getting their fission bombs to work properly. I have my doubts that they've made the leap to an H-bomb.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I was talking to a co-worker and he had an interesting idea about the original Comey memo

Where the hell did Mueller get it? As far as I know, he hasn't supeanoed docs from the WH yet? Was it in an RNC server or did they find it from Manafort?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

every time my brown rear end drinks milk, a nazi dies inside

inside you? That's probably just lactose intolerance duder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Feinne posted:

Yeah but they're claiming megatons of yield, which is laughable at that size. That is definitely the right size for a smaller bomb, but it's not what they're claiming.

According to this, NK isn't claiming megaton yields at all:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Liveuamap/status/904110304824524800

"tens kiloton to hundreds kiloton" which is more in range with realism.

• Locked thread