Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Cask strength stuff (100+ proof)? Maker's Mark Private Select, (Wild Turkey) Rare Breed

Normal strength? Basil Hayden Toasted,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I kinda like bulleit rye actually. It's the green label

stratego
May 6, 2007

Lawman 0 posted:

Uh makers mark, Bulliet, knobs creek? I'm not too fancy.

Go get some redwood empire.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

stratego posted:

This is my stock right now. Got all three in regular strength, thinking of getting cask strength once those run out.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Lawman 0 posted:

Looking for a couple of goon recommendations on decent to good whiskey preferably bourbons but I'm looking to restock my booze cabinet.

These should pretty much all be readily available everywhere.

Cheap but Decent:
Evan Williams BIB
Old Grandad BIB (or 114 for higher proof)
Elijah Craig Small Batch
Four Roses Small Batch
Wild Turkey 101

Solid:
Four Roses Single Barrel
Russel’s Reserve 10
Old Forester Whiskey Row (four different expressions to try)
Heaven Hill BIB (may not be available everywhere)
Wild Turkey Rare Breed (higher proof)

Good:
Knob Creek 12
Russel’s Reserve Single Barrel (private barrel if you can find store picks)
Larceny Barrel Strength (also Elijah Craig barrel strength and toasted if you can find them)

All of these should be found pretty easily and they’re all drinkable. I’ve probably had all of these in the last six months. If you want to get into harder to find stuff your general location would help.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

stratego posted:

Never heard of it but it's at my local shop apparently. Any specific bottle to look for?

stratego
May 6, 2007

Lowness 72 posted:

Never heard of it but it's at my local shop apparently. Any specific bottle to look for?

They have three main releases -
Pipe Dream - the bourbon
Emerald Giant - the rye
Lost Monarch - the bourye, which is, you guessed it, a mix of the other two.
Pick whichever tickles your fancy (Lost Monarch is a good warm weather drink imo).

Beyond that, they make bottled in bond versions of the bourbon and rye, which are stronger at 100 proof. Grizzly Beast and Rocket Top, respectively.
Even further, they make cask strength versions of the OG three.
Then they make some more interesting less regular releases -
Howling Titan, the wheated bourbon
Devils Tower, the high rye bourbon
Foggy Burl, Single Mast Whisky.
And then, if you can find it, Haystack's Needle, which is some older single barrel stuff (so your mileage may very).

Anyway, get Lost Monarch, have fun.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"Fine, I will, and don't call me monarch"

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Lowness 72 posted:

I kinda like bulleit rye actually. It's the green label

Stop buying bulleit everyone. They’re anti gay pieces of poo poo. And there’s so much better out there.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

LionArcher posted:

They’re anti gay pieces of poo poo. And there’s so much better out there.

Where did this come from, and are you also suggesting to boycott everything diageo because have fun

Or I guess MGP, but same deal

gwrtheyrn fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 15, 2024

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

gwrtheyrn posted:

Where did this come from, and are you also suggesting to boycott everything diageo because have fun

Or I guess MGP, but same deal

I used to like bulliet fine. But the company is bad, and it’s 2024. There are a lot of better choices out there. Buffalo trace is easy enough to find a lot of places.
As for Ryes? Old over holt, Stellum rye, jack Daniel’s single barrel rye, any of the barrel ryes, to name a few. Old Forrester ryes as well. Whistle pig 10 year rye is amazing, and so on.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

LionArcher posted:

I used to like bulliet fine. But the company is bad, and it’s 2024. There are a lot of better choices out there. Buffalo trace is easy enough to find a lot of places.
As for Ryes? Old over holt, Stellum rye, jack Daniel’s single barrel rye, any of the barrel ryes, to name a few. Old Forrester ryes as well. Whistle pig 10 year rye is amazing, and so on.

That didn't really answer the question. What did they or their parent company actually do? I don't buy bulleit anyways, so it doesn't really change anything but this is the first I've heard of this

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

gwrtheyrn posted:

That didn't really answer the question. What did they or their parent company actually do? I don't buy bulleit anyways, so it doesn't really change anything but this is the first I've heard of this

It took 2 seconds to google this.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/taranu...sh=61cbc37449bd

Also, it’s a known thing in the industry. They’re major Chuds.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
You named my actual favorite budget rye. Old Overholt. Makes a mean old fashioned.

I generally always have a bottle of that + Makers 76 in the cabinet.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Oh also another favorite Rye is Pikesville. I'd buy it more often but I have a bad tendency to drink too much of it in one sitting combined with the higher abv so I buy it occasionally.

I think it's top notch delicious though.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

On the subject of ryes, what do you all think of Rittenhouse bonded?

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

spankmeister posted:

Spicier than I prefer.

stratego
May 6, 2007

spankmeister posted:

cocktail mixer

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

stratego posted:

cocktail mixer

Bingo. Makes a hell of a Manhattan.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Matt Zerella posted:

Bingo. Makes a hell of a Manhattan.

so much so that during the 00s/early 10's the BiB went into allocation because NYC cocktail lounges would use nothing else. I worked at a place that would buy six or eight cases per restaurant and cart them around to the fancy cocktail spot just to keep from moving to overholt.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

LionArcher posted:

It took 2 seconds to google this.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/taranu...sh=61cbc37449bd

Also, it’s a known thing in the industry. They’re major Chuds.

Most of it comes from him firing his lesbian daughter (or Diageo doing it to salvage the company image), and her accusations of him not just being homophobic, but a child molestor.

https://www.hollisbofficial.com/faq

https://www.gobourbon.com/bulleit-legacy-on-the-line/

GD_American fucked around with this message at 22:49 on May 19, 2024

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

stratego posted:

Will keep an eye out for this.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Mellow Corn made it to the liquor store just across the state line from me! :toot:

It's much more mellow going down than the last time I had it, now my head is in a vice :confuoot:

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Mellow Corn made it to the liquor store just across the state line from me! :toot:

It's much more mellow going down than the last time I had it, now my head is in a vice :confuoot:

As a Kentucky Colonel, I can tell you that Mellow Corn is a beautiful and dangerous thing, like a young woman with a .22.

Mellow Corn: "The state police ain't poo poo without their stupid fuckin' hats, watch thi-"

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
Hello fellow Colonel *tips Colonel Sanders hat* 🤠

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Gravitee posted:

Hello fellow Colonel *tips Colonel Sanders hat* 🤠

While I am debating the skinny bow tie, I will never get the license plate.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

GD_American posted:

Most of it comes from him firing his lesbian daughter (or Diageo doing it to salvage the company image), and her accusations of him not just being homophobic, but a child molestor.

https://www.hollisbofficial.com/faq

Didn't go deep on this when it first came out years ago. Wow the Go Bourbon article is incredibly long. I kinda power-skimmed it. I think maybe the dad could be innocent. He provided a lot of hard evidence to back up his support of his daughter. At least financially. And Hollis hurts her credibility in some of her other claims unrelated to homophobia or abuse.

https://www.kentucky.com/lexgoeat/bourbon/article234049917.html

Comb Your Beard fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 21, 2024

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

bloody ghost titty posted:

While I am debating the skinny bow tie, I will never get the license plate.

I'm a third generation Colonel (a brag but also important to story). My grandfather who was not from KY but was a KY Colonel, had his state's license plate# as "COL PVP", PVP was his initials. He had more than one person get mad because he was not a military Colonel in a stolen valor kinda way. I'm tempted to do the same tbh.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
Bulleit seems to be a lovely company, yeah, and their main stuff is fairly generic young MGP. One of my least favorite of the big brands. If you're looking for like a $30 bourbon, my personal faves would be something like Old Granddad 114 or even WT101. Personally I'd spend more and get something really excellent like Rare Breed or Old Forester 1920.

That said, Bulleit just relaunched their 12 year rye, which is 95/5 MGP and is cheap and good for what it is.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Rashomon posted:

Bulleit seems to be a lovely company, yeah, and their main stuff is fairly generic young MGP. One of my least favorite of the big brands. If you're looking for like a $30 bourbon, my personal faves would be something like Old Granddad 114 or even WT101. Personally I'd spend more and get something really excellent like Rare Breed or Old Forester 1920.

That said, Bulleit just relaunched their 12 year rye, which is 95/5 MGP and is cheap and good for what it is.

I'll check for it when I do my booze run.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

stratego posted:

They have three main releases -
Pipe Dream - the bourbon
Emerald Giant - the rye
Lost Monarch - the bourye, which is, you guessed it, a mix of the other two.
Pick whichever tickles your fancy (Lost Monarch is a good warm weather drink imo).

Beyond that, they make bottled in bond versions of the bourbon and rye, which are stronger at 100 proof. Grizzly Beast and Rocket Top, respectively.
Even further, they make cask strength versions of the OG three.
Then they make some more interesting less regular releases -
Howling Titan, the wheated bourbon
Devils Tower, the high rye bourbon
Foggy Burl, Single Mast Whisky.
And then, if you can find it, Haystack's Needle, which is some older single barrel stuff (so your mileage may very).

Anyway, get Lost Monarch, have fun.

I bought Lost Monarch. It's $35. Tastes like it would be closer to $45/$50. I'm a fan of this first dramm. Thanks for the rec!

There's so many "craft" whiskeys I see that are usually too expensive and too hot. $50 paint thinner half the time. So I've been turned off of trying new, smaller producers. But I really like this. So thank you!

I also realized I've never actually had bushmills 10 so I picked it up. Sidenote did powers drop its age statement? Couldn't find one on three swallows.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I like powers, green spot, and the OG red breast better than Bush 10. Is bush 10 not pot still?

Sadly green spot was on sale but sold out :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Lowness 72 posted:

I also realized I've never actually had bushmills 10 so I picked it up. Sidenote did powers drop its age statement? Couldn't find one on three swallows.

Powers 12 Johns Lane is still around. Three Swallows and Gold never had an age statement iirc.

Lowness 72 posted:

I like powers, green spot, and the OG red breast better than Bush 10. Is bush 10 not pot still?

Sadly green spot was on sale but sold out :(

Bushmills 10 is a single malt. Which does mean it's made in a pot still. But it's not a "Single Pot Still" whiskey. The difference being that Irish pot still whiskey is a unique category of whiskey that has to be made in pot stills yes, but moreover it uses malted and unmalted barley. (And up to 10% other grain, often oats). This gives it a unique taste and it's uniquely Irish.

Bushmills is made from 100% malted barley and therefore is a Single Malt. Just like with single malt scotch.

N.B: the Single in both these categories refers to the fact that it's from a single distillery, not that it's from a single pot, or a single type of malt.

There's a lot of other things that set Irish whiskey apart from Scotch (being spelled with an e, for one) and we could get into that at some point, it's pretty interesting. But for now I'm running late for work.