Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Starmaker posted:

Are we... reading the same thread? I haven't really been seeing what you're saying as anything like consensus here. I mean, most of the uu talk in here has been speculation based on what little we've seen of him so far. I don't really see people as having a single coherent opinion of him at all.

Positions regarding UU are more solid since she's been around for much longer, but they're also not too homogenous and certainly not uniformly negative. Your post is honestly a little confusing to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOAST7312
Oct 18, 2010

AT: uHHH, nO DAD NO!

Slime posted:

I guess what I'm saying here is that Dave is a tool.

Only ironically.

SexyBrianPuppet
Oct 5, 2010

remember, you are talking to the pranking MASTER.
I'm glad I don't have a lot of friends who read Homestuck because I'd imagine trying to talk about UU and uu in person would be pretty confusing.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

SexyBrianPuppet posted:

I'm glad I don't have a lot of friends who read Homestuck because I'd imagine trying to talk about UU and uu in person would be pretty confusing.
You just need to yell for the first one. "So who do you like more, YOU YOU or you you?"

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Either you'll have to buckle down and remember the entire handle, or you yell UU's name and say uu's name quietly.

Actually, this opens the horrific possibility of lowercase versions of all the existing chumhandles and trolltags.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

YggiDee posted:

Either you'll have to buckle down and remember the entire handle, or you yell UU's name and say uu's name quietly.

Actually, this opens the horrific possibility of lowercase versions of all the existing chumhandles and trolltags.

You think character-bloat is bad now? Just wait until Hussie introduces the nega-versions of everyone where the first letter is capitalized and the second is lower case.

Tg, Ag, Tt, etc.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

I clearly just want to be a good friend and bring all my AMAZING FRIENDLINESS to bear on your problems.

SexyBrianPuppet posted:

Just say "big UU" and "little uu". Not sure where there is confusion really.

Speaking of, I think I managed to get a friend of mine into Homestuck today (though she hasn't really started reading yet), when we found ourselves engrossed in a conversation about how we would be unable to stand our past or future selves should we ever meet them, and I found out that she was into complex puzzle plots about time shenanigans and alternate universes. As I was starting to explain the premise she was asking a lot of essential questions and I could see she was pretty into the idea of an alternate reality game that can and already has interacted with our world at many points in time.

It makes me wonder, what else gets people into Homestuck besides the elaborate transdimensional plot?

Mazerunner posted:

You think character-bloat is bad now? Just wait until Hussie introduces the nega-versions of everyone where the first letter is capitalized and the second is lower case.

Tg, Ag, Tt, etc.

Why stop there? You could have not only Tt, but also tt and tT. There, that's three alternate versions of each character who uses a chat client!

Lady of the Beech fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Mar 2, 2012

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Lady of the Beech posted:

It makes me wonder, what else gets people into Homestuck besides the elaborate transdimensional plot?

The music.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Mazerunner posted:

Tg, Ag, Tt, etc.

Mindfang, Vriska, A1 Mindfang, and Nega-Vriska all join forces to form the ultimate all-Vriska team and Homestuck immediately ends, having attained perfection.

Andrew Hussie starts up a new comic the very next day. It is called Vriskageddon and chronicles the never-ending adventures of Team Vriska.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Well Manicured Man posted:

Mindfang, Vriska, A1 Mindfang, and Nega-Vriska all join forces to form the ultimate all-Vriska team and Homestuck immediately ends, having attained perfection.

Andrew Hussie starts up a new comic the very next day. It is called Vriskageddon and chronicles the never-ending adventures of Team Vriska.

Oh no, you're not thinking big enough.

Vriska, A1 Vriska, Mindfang, A1 Mindfang, Nega-Vriska, Nega -A1 Vriska, Nega-Mindfang, Nega- A1 Mindfang.

Notice how many characters there are????????

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

My brother dragged me into Homestuck by showing the flash where Jade fights Bec, completely without context, and I had to figure out what the goddamn was going on.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Mazerunner posted:

Oh no, you're not thinking big enough.

Vriska, A1 Vriska, Mindfang, A1 Mindfang, Nega-Vriska, Nega -A1 Vriska, Nega-Mindfang, Nega- A1 Mindfang.

Notice how many characters there are????????

Team Vriska versus Team Nega-Vriska in an epic conflict to see who will be crowned the Vriska of Vriskas.

SexyBrianPuppet
Oct 5, 2010

remember, you are talking to the pranking MASTER.

I told a friend of mine about Equius and nothing else. Just that there was this webcomic I read involving a freakishly strong sweaty guy who covers his room in naked muscular horse-man artwork. He thought it was hilarious but lost interest in the comic when I told him he was just a minor character.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

A friend linked me to THE Tavros/Dave pesterlog. Immediately after catching my breath from the guffaws, I starting at the beginning so I could figure out the context of such ridiculousness

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

The colors, actually. I saw someone (EccoRaven?) with this page as an avatar, then there was the avatar explosion after Dave: Accelerate, and I just had to check it out.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

I clearly just want to be a good friend and bring all my AMAZING FRIENDLINESS to bear on your problems.

YggiDee posted:

My brother dragged me into Homestuck by showing the flash where Jade fights Bec, completely without context, and I had to figure out what the goddamn was going on.

There was this one time where I was walking another friend through the first several pages of Homestuck and he got as far as the Strife between John and Dad, which I think was what finally roped him into the idea, because Dad was the best thing ever with his mighty artifacts of confectionery. Unfortunately he never actually got to read it due to not having enough time (in between WOW raids).

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I was always impressed with the use of color in this comic.

It would be disingenuous not to include those who got into it for the exciting shipping possibilities offered by a weird alien society where everybody is highly emotional and adolescent and they have a word for a special kind of hate.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Starmaker posted:

The number of people sympathizing with uu here is disheartening. So the one half of annoying fandom (represented by UU) is terrible and reviled, but the other half (uu) is perfectly fine. They're both stupid and annoying and this thread had, for the most part, been free of them. This was the only MSPA place I liked going to, but now it's just as dumb as everywhere else. Good job.

This place was always as dumb as everywhere else, just in different ways. If it's becoming less condescending to others then it might actually become less dumb overall.

TOAST7312
Oct 18, 2010

AT: uHHH, nO DAD NO!

Cabbit posted:

less condescending

Goons? Less condescending?!
:frogout:

EDIT: VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

I think in this uodate he was just implicating his world was about to end, not that everyone else was already dead. Basically that everyone else will be dead and fertilizing the soil.

TOAST7312 fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Mar 2, 2012

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
So UU and uu are living on a planet where everyone else is dead? Maybe they're on a planet that was previously wiped out by Sburb and survived for some reason. That could explain UU using an exile terminal in the start of Act 6 flash.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
SBaHJ. Got told about the stairs, met the big man, then binged for a week using my TV as a monitor.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

quote:

uu: YES. AMBITION. THAT'S THE ONLY GOOD ONE.

Yes, we get it, we get the Karkat call backs.

EDIT: Also, that's a sweet background. And apparently Yaldabaoth is, according to a quick google search, indeed a viable candidate for a denizen.

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Mar 2, 2012

KoB
May 1, 2009

closeted republican posted:

So UU and uu are living on a planet where everyone else is dead? Maybe they're on a planet that was previously wiped out by Sburb and survived for some reason. That could explain UU using an exile terminal in the start of Act 6 flash.

Obviously theyre just carapace people. And since they're homestuck fans, they are cosplaying as trolls.

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.

Elysiume posted:

You just need to yell for the first one. "So who do you like more, YOU YOU or you you?"

Wouldn't be too hard, there's lots of tonal languages in the world. Cantonese, Mandarin, Thai etc. Just inflect UU and speak low for uu.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!
Man, Dirk is officially going to have the most badass Denizen.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
so stuff worth noting about the last couple updates:

Yaldabaoth is a demiurge, linking the choice of denizen to Dirk's screen name.

uu is probably not as expected Cetus, but rather a secondary half of Ophiuchus (his symbol, ~+U is an alternative representation of Ophiuchus.) This goes further towards the idea that uu and UU might be the same person. Given that trolls run the gamut of mental illness (Eridan is NPD, Vriska is HPD, Sollux is BPD, Karkat is MDD, etc), it's not out of the question to speculate UU/uu has multiple personality disorder.

snucks fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Mar 2, 2012

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

I saw a bunch of people with PS avatars, specifically this one guy with a LVL 2 SLEUTH DIPLOMACY that was pretty dope. That got me reading PS and when I finished that I was like hmm whats this homestuck thing.

and that is the story of how I got my brain damage.

quote:

The number of people sympathizing with uu here is disheartening. So the one half of annoying fandom (represented by UU) is terrible and reviled, but the other half (uu) is perfectly fine. They're both stupid and annoying and this thread had, for the most part, been free of them. This was the only MSPA place I liked going to, but now it's just as dumb as everywhere else. Good job.
He's like ++Karkat its great, we've a dearth of abrasive dickheadery lately. I hope he has an accident with a mandolin slicer.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Mar 2, 2012

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Seoinin posted:

He's like ++Karkat its great, we've a dearth of abrasive dickheadery lately. I hope he has an accident with a mandolin slicer.

Karkat's dickery was cheeky and fun and rooted in deep self loathing. And a lot more imaginative than "I will kill you ;)".

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ominous Jazz posted:

Karkat's dickery was cheeky and fun and rooted in deep self loathing. And a lot more imaginative than "I will kill you ;)".

We've only gotten one pesterlog from uu so far. And Seoinin's right, his tone is nicely cathartic after everything that's happened in act 6 so far.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Elysiume posted:

How about "You you" and "Uh uh"?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

We've only gotten one pesterlog from uu so far. And Seoinin's right, his tone is nicely cathartic after everything that's happened in act 6 so far.
I'm pretty okay with Act 6 so far but it was nice to have someone come bombing in and go WHAT THE gently caress GET YOUR poo poo IN LINE DEGRASSI

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!
While uu's pesterlog has Karkat callbacks, there's something about his pattern of speech that reminds me more of batshit Gamzee. Especially this bit:

uu: AND IF I WANT SOMETHING TO BE TRuE HARD ENOuGH. THEN THAT MAKES IT SLIGHTLY MORE ABSOLuTELY IRREFuTABLE.
uu: ARE YOu FEELING ME, FuCKER?

Let's hope that uu doesn't share Gamzee's talent for hating things into being.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Strongylocentrotus posted:

While uu's pesterlog has Karkat callbacks, there's something about his pattern of speech that reminds me more of batshit Gamzee. Especially this bit:

uu: AND IF I WANT SOMETHING TO BE TRuE HARD ENOuGH. THEN THAT MAKES IT SLIGHTLY MORE ABSOLuTELY IRREFuTABLE.
uu: ARE YOu FEELING ME, FuCKER?

Let's hope that uu doesn't share Gamzee's talent for hating things into being.
Would not be surprised if uu was a Rage player.

Mage of Rage for added silly rhyming?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Or Page of Rage.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Hahah oh wow. I was listening to "Drawing of the Four" on my ipod and I've really REALLY liked it recently because it was so well made. I was gonna link it to a friend today and saw that Well Manicured Man made it! You jerk, you make the best stuff :swoon:

SARSfest
Oct 28, 2010

I like where this is going.
The choice of Yaldabaoth is an interesting one. After a couple minutes of dumpster diving through the internet I found this little gem:

quote:

In Gnostic creation stories, Yaldabaoth (Greek, “Father of Chaos”) is the demiurge, or inferior creator of the material world; his birth was a consequence of Sophia’s wish to create a copy of herself. In creating the material, Yaldabaoth trapped the divine spirit in his creation.

Yaldabaoth can be viewed as a metaphor for religion- he is the human-created God, bound by the limits of the human ego and imagination. He is “born” of the human desire to know God, but often becomes a great prison-keeper, our own limitations, which prevent us from experiencing the divine.
http://altreligion.net/?page_id=743

I'm not sure how trustworthy this particular site is. Will investigate further.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Jewel posted:

Hahah oh wow. I was listening to "Drawing of the Four" on my ipod and I've really REALLY liked it recently because it was so well made. I was gonna link it to a friend today and saw that Well Manicured Man made it! You jerk, you make the best stuff :swoon:

I'm glad you like it! And a little surprised, I hate most of my old stuff v:shobon:v

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

SARSfest posted:

The choice of Yaldabaoth is an interesting one. After a couple minutes of dumpster diving through the internet I found this little gem:

http://altreligion.net/?page_id=743

I'm not sure how trustworthy this particular site is. Will investigate further.

Yeah that sounds about right as a description of the Gnostic demiurge. And that means that Dirk's denizen will not only be the most badass of them all, the terms of it's deal will also be really far-reaching and nasty.

edit: Now I wonder if the creepy worm thing from Jade's basement is related to Dirk's denizen. It kind of bears a resemblance, once you remove the rays of the Light symbol.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Mar 2, 2012

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!

Thundarr posted:

Yeah that sounds about right as a description of the Gnostic demiurge. And that means that Dirk's denizen will not only be the most badass of them all, the terms of it's deal will also be really far-reaching and nasty.

edit: Now I wonder if the creepy worm thing from Jade's basement is related to Dirk's denizen. It kind of bears a resemblance, once you remove the rays of the Light symbol.

It looks more like Typheus and was referred to as a Typheus minion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Thundarr posted:

The worm thing is actually a minion of Typheus, John's Denizen. Basically all of the browser icons except for Haphaestus look like cartoon worm things, so maybe those are what they or at least their mooks look like in general.