Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

FuzzySkinner posted:

There was literally a right wing talk show host filling in for another right wing talk show host in Cleveland that brought up this really lame argument.

"THIS GENERATION..DIDN'T SERVE LIKE OUR GRANDFATHERS, THEY DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT FREEDOM MEANS!!! I REALLY DOUBT THEY WOULD TAKE UP ARMS IF OUR FREEDOM WAS EVER CHALLENGED!"

"MAYBE WE SHOULD BRING BACK THE DRAFT!!!!!!!"

What the gently caress does that have to do with anything? Yes the two generations (Greatest, Boomers a bit) had to battle communism and fascism respectfully. But guess what? We don't have to anymore.

I can't see a scenario where Hitler II comes back or where the Soviets return barring some insane economic collapse in some form of a world power.

Also, to boot, the guy was in Gen X. What loving wars did that generation fight?

It has nothing to do with having an enemy to fight. What you have there is a pure, cane-waving KIDS THESE DAYS rant about how us millenials are a bunch of spoiled pussies who need to be molded into real men by digging trenches and putting bullets into the heads of brown people. Mr. Gen X thinks he shouldn't have to do so because his grandpappy's ever-flowing greatness would have sufficiently rubbed off on him when he was a kid and inspired him with such patriotic fervor that armed service would have been unnecessary. This move will also logically change our voting habits and make us vote Republican because we'll be such badasses when we come back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Knew the second I saw the Rush in connection with tea that the flagship product would be sweet tea. Figures the same portly flyover country twits that love to wisecrack about lattes would require their tea be made with sugar syrup. No I don't want 'unsweet' tea, I want tea dammit :bahgawd:

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I was amazed to find out that Rush is now more than just books and radio

He now makes Tea (Get it?)

So if this was started to prove how hard it is to be a small business in America and it's actually successful, that means he's never going to complain about how hard it is to be a small business in America again, right.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

eviltastic posted:

Knew the second I saw the Rush in connection with tea that the flagship product would be sweet tea. Figures the same portly flyover country twits that love to wisecrack about lattes would require their tea be made with sugar syrup. No I don't want 'unsweet' tea, I want tea dammit :bahgawd:
I bet you like sweet cornbread too you carpetbagging yankee scum. gently caress Rush all day but when you insult sweet tea we got problems son.

:clint:

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Sweet tea is the tea equivalent of when people slather their salad in ranch dressing.

Just eat a loving burger at that point instead of taking something healthy and smothering any semblance of taste or nutrition in empty calories.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Sweet tea is great. Sugar makes lots of things better, you should try mixing some in your organic kale juice, you god drat yankee liberals.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

nm

Deific Presence
May 7, 2007
I use Sweet Tea as a cultural barometer of sorts. If you go to a restaurant and they have no idea what you are talking about when you order sweet tea (either bring you hot tea or unsweetened iced tea) then you are officially outside of Real America. The borders are a bit iffy, though. I've been denied my glucose-flavored brown water in parts of Louisiana, North Carolina, and various other places past the Mason-Dixon. It pains me to remember these incidents.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!
Iced Tea is always sweet in Canada. I'm not sure what the implications of this fact are for Real America.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Hodgepodge posted:

Iced Tea is always sweet in Canada. I'm not sure what the implications of this fact are for Real America.

You're next.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I thought conservatives didn't drink tea. That they could never overcome their urge to throw it into bays.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Lycus posted:

I thought conservatives didn't drink tea. That they could never overcome their urge to throw it into bays.

Sweet tea is quite common in the Great American Heartland, actually, and political affiliation has little-to-nothing to do with it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Sweet tea is what happens when you teach the South about chemistry.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

eviltastic posted:

If you're making it with syrup, You Done hosed Up.

Damonic
Jan 17, 2006
Here in San Antonio, most restaurants will ask if you want your tea sweetened or not from my experience. So I don't get it.

Also, this line in Rushs' tea ad cracked me up: "Harness the pure flavor of tea without the overpowering taste of pretentiousness". Oh man, that's just....great! haha!

Damonic fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Nov 12, 2013

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Hodgepodge posted:

Is the sugar added to cold brewed tea up there, or is it added to the heated concentrate which is then diluted to strength with cold water? This is important, goddammit.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Deific Presence posted:

I use Sweet Tea as a cultural barometer of sorts. If you go to a restaurant and they have no idea what you are talking about when you order sweet tea (either bring you hot tea or unsweetened iced tea) then you are officially outside of Real America. The borders are a bit iffy, though. I've been denied my glucose-flavored brown water in parts of Louisiana, North Carolina, and various other places past the Mason-Dixon. It pains me to remember these incidents.

I thought sweet tea was a southern thing. Is it in the midwest too?

It's funny how sharp the boundaries can be though. Northern Virginia? Sweet tea in every restaurant. Step a foot over the state line into DC? Blank stares.

It really is tasty, but it's as bad for you as guzzling coca cola.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
I don't see how Rush's tea could possibly be as important as Sarah Palin's book tour.

Or Matt Lauer ambushing her with his gotcha question about her alternative to the ACA.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/sarah-palin-offers-her-obamacare-alternative

quote:

"The plan is to allow those things that had been proposed over many years to reform a health care system in America that certainly does need more help so that there's more competition, there's less tort reform threat, there's less trajectory of the cost increases? And those plans have been proposed over and over again. And what thwarts those plans? It's the far left. It's President Obama and his supporters who will not allow the Republicans to usher in free market, patient-centered, doctor-patient relationship links to reform health care!"

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

You know I'm getting tired of me and my generation being labeled as entitled and not taking responsibility. I had a few older friends of mine say that to me and when I said well as Dos get screwed out of the opportunities afforded to your generation they said that just proved it. And that OWS just blamed bankers for their problems instead of taking the blame them selves. Also that Reagan was important cause he made us feel good about being Americans again and that Iran Contra is just the price of Empire.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Sir Tonk posted:

I don't see how Rush's tea could possibly be as important as Sarah Palin's book tour.

Or Matt Lauer ambushing her with his gotcha question about her alternative to the ACA.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/sarah-palin-offers-her-obamacare-alternative

To (for some unknown reason) be fair to Palin, that's actually the most coherent answer anyone on the right has had to that question for several years.

KomradeX posted:

You know I'm getting tired of me and my generation being labeled as entitled and not taking responsibility. I had a few older friends of mine say that to me and when I said well as Dos get screwed out of the opportunities afforded to your generation they said that just proved it. And that OWS just blamed bankers for their problems instead of taking the blame them selves. Also that Reagan was important cause he made us feel good about being Americans again and that Iran Contra is just the price of Empire.

Tell them to read this and then shut up: http://www.mattbors.com/blog/2013/05/09/millenials-arent-lazy-theyre-hosed/; oh, then this too: http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/09/opinion/bors-millenial-comic-strip/index.html?hpt=op_t1

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Nov 12, 2013

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I was amazed to find out that Rush is now more than just books and radio

He now makes Tea (Get it?)

The tea fanatic in me wants to ask what kind of black tea, whether it's Assam, Ceylon, etc., but I'm pretty sure Rush's answer would be "Look, it's top quality black tea! :911:"

(Sweet tea can be really good, especially on a really hot day, but it's basically sugar water with some tea flavor.)

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

To (for some unknown reason) be fair to Palin, that's actually the most coherent answer anyone on the right has had to that question for several years.

Tell them to read this and then shut up: http://www.mattbors.com/blog/2013/05/09/millenials-arent-lazy-theyre-hosed/; oh, then this too: http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/09/opinion/bors-millenial-comic-strip/index.html?hpt=op_t1

Sadly I've come to believe it doesn't matter one of the guys voted for Reagan and went hear anything bad about him. And the other is adamant that v we just need a solid centrist party to get everyone to play nice. Added that they project that we would have dismantled the system that helped us so no one else could benefit from it either.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

FuzzySkinner posted:

Also, to boot, the guy was in Gen X. What loving wars did that generation fight?

Hey man, Grenada was some real poo poo.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Orange Devil posted:

Hey man, Grenada was some real poo poo.

As usual, The Simpsons were well ahead of the curve:

quote:

Bart Simpson: What the hell is this?

Lisa Simpson: It's one of those campy 70s throwbacks that appeals to Generation X-ers.

Bart Simpson: We need another Vietnam to thin out their ranks a little.

Just off by about 10 years. Sorry, Millennials!

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

The Nozzle posted:

If God really wanted to save lives he would have sunk every ship full of white Europeans before they ever made landfall in the New World.

But I guess we'll just have to wait for the LF version of American History for kids to get that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUZGGFOV6FM

There is nothing better than good southern iced tea, hot brewed with about 2 pounds of real cane sugar and half an acre of lemons. Mmmhmmmm good.

anonumos fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Nov 12, 2013

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Give me Arizona Arnold Palmer green tea version or give me death

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I'm a filthy NYC liberal hippie communist nazi half-Jewish atheist, so I know my opinion on water that was boiled with leaves in it and then cooled down is irrelevant, but while I suppose sweet tea has been good the few times I've had it, I really prefer unsweetened tea. My whole life growing up, in addition to/instead of soda in the fridge, our "Default drink" was a big pitcher of unsweetened Raspberry Zinger iced tea. That's just the thing that's there you pour yourself a glass of with dinner or when you're sitting around or it's hot and humid as tits.

But yeah, I'll sit this one out, and show up later to laugh at you poor dull eyed simpletons should you ever bring up whatever disgusting piles of diarrhea you call "hot dogs" and "pizza."

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
http://wonkette.com/534154/the-cover-of-allen-wests-new-book-is-terrific-we-cant-wait-to-laugh-at-the-mere-idea-of-reading-it

And Colonel West sighed as he drew his katana.

Also, On The Media was very good this week. They covered NBC buying news stories and Murdoch's media empire as well as rape coverage in India. Definitely fits in the thread.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
Rush is on his program right now arguing for 'self-insurance' for healthcare. He used hurricane insurance for property owners in Florida as an example of what he was getting at. He mentioned his premium was somewhere around $800k-900k. Then he goes on to mention how he also self-insures his own healthcare costs, which have no death panels by the way.
A multi-millionaire. Whose property value is somewhere around the $35 million. http://www.jeffrealty.com/blog/2012/03/rush-limbaughs-palm-beach-home/

nyquil hangover
Jun 27, 2013

sick but sociable

Richard Cohen posted:

Today’s GOP is not racist, as Harry Belafonte alleged about the tea party, but it is deeply troubled—about the expansion of government, about immigration, about secularism, about the mainstreaming of what used to be the avant-garde. People with conventional views must repress a gag reflex when considering the mayor-elect of New York—a white man married to a black woman and with two biracial children. (Should I mention that Bill de Blasio’s wife, Chirlane McCray, used to be a lesbian?) This family represents the cultural changes that have enveloped parts—but not all—of America. To cultural conservatives, this doesn’t look like their country at all.

How did this get past an editor? Jesus Christ. This is beyond dog-whistle racism.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

nyquil hangover posted:

How did this get past an editor? Jesus Christ. This is beyond dog-whistle racism.

This is hot off the heels of Sarah Palin on the record saying "this isn't racist but...". In case you're wondering she, like everyone before her, did in fact follow it up with something kinda racist.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/politics/2013/11/palin-isnt-racist-debt-slavery/71459/

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 12, 2013

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Main I never thought I'd see a mainstream newspaper rail against miscegenation in my lifetime.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

How? Literally all she said was "Republicans have had good ideas for years but they don't go anywhere because of liberals and Obama."

She said nothing. Not even a suggestion of what those ideas might be beyond focus grouped buzzwords, but they're totally good ideas and also liberals suck.

It reminds me of the first debate Romney "won" where he basically kept saying "I'm going to do all of those good things he said, but better" and a bunch of people were really impressed by what he had to say because they are idiots.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
If she had just said "debt is slavery" then she would have been good to go. But he had to preface it with "Alert: I am not being racist!" and really, that's what made it kind of racist.

Palin navigates life with a perpetual sense of bafflement about the meanings and context of the words that come out of her own mouth. It's clearly too much work to try and understand those issues, so her defensive mechanism is to grope around in the darkness for reasons why people might get angry at her and then try to recite incantations to protect herself from outrage, even when she's saying something that would otherwise be perfectly benign.

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post

nyquil hangover posted:

The first comment on that article is:

"Cohen wrote a column in 1986 which argued owners of jewelry stores were right to refuse to allow entry to young black men because of a fear of crime. This column led to the Washington Post having to apologize." - Wikipedia, "Richard Cohen"

Eikre posted:

If she had just said "debt is slavery" then she would have been good to go. But he had to preface it with "Alert: I am not being racist!" and really, that's what made it kind of racist.

I think it's kinda cool that being "racist" is more or less universally acknowledged as a Bad Thing with the exception of the extreme wackos. Now we just need to hammer home the idea that being racist is a spectrum instead of a binary switch in your head.

ClothHat fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 12, 2013

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I heard Herman Cain yesterday, who mainly just goes off on Obama care as far as I can tell, actually espousing the virtues of a public option and Medicare for all as a reasonable solution and alternative to the ACA so now I don't even know what the gently caress.

Impaired Casing
Jul 1, 2012

We don't make mistakes, just happy little accidents.

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

So if this was started to prove how hard it is to be a small business in America and it's actually successful, that means he's never going to complain about how hard it is to be a small business in America again, right.

My father runs his own business, plumbing, and started from the ground up. He had to borrow money from his inlaws and some friends to get enough to start out. When I was a kid, he worked long days and longer nights to get it going, just to break even. But he kept with it, put in more hours than was healthy, and made it work.

When he heard Rush talk about how he wanted to see how hard it was to start a small business, he laughed his rear end off. He said it was almost patronizing that a man with that much capital behind him would try something like that. And he's right. You have enough money, especially in this country, and there's not a whole lot of hoops or hurdles you have to run through. And this was from my dad, who actually listens to Rush on a semi regular basis.

Oh, and I don't know who lives in the Bay Area, but you've not lived until you've listened to Brian "Make it Up" Sussman. He is the most pretentious person I've ever heard, and I, like my dad, used to listen to Rush, Levine, and Hannity pretty often. This guy knows everything. Everything! Oh, he hunts, with guns! He's a life long NRA member! Why, he has a "faded" NRA sticker on his pick up truck, he told a caller. Oh, and he prefaced a story with 'So, I was sitting there cleaning my guns, my wife was reading the constitution, blah blah blah OBAMA'. I have never wanted to reach through time and space and punch someone through the radio before, and yet I find myself praying for the ability to do so whenever he is on.

He has two hyenas on air with him. One Melanie Morgan, who I swear sounded drunk half the time with her slurs and nonsensical tidbits, and the shows on at 5AM so it's almost feasible. And then there is Katie Green, who just laughs at whatever crap spews forth from the maw of Sussman. The only callers he has on are those who agree with him, and a repeat one called, I think, "Doctor Butt". It might be Bud, but boy it might as well be butt. The classic old guy who complains about kids, and knows everything. Oh, I lie. Sometimes he has on liberal callers, always prefacing it by making a joke of how liberal California is "Especially San Francisco AM I RIGHT GUYS?" To the resounding cackling of the cohosts, then proceeds to berate the callers, and never actually gives an argument back. Before the government shut down, a LIEberal called in, said he was related to some founding father, and then said how they'd be against the shutdown. Sussman got all sarcastic, yelling "I KNOW MORE ABOUT HIM THAN YOU! AND YOU'RE RELATED TO HIM". The caller then, to his credit, said "Boy, you sure are smarmy!" which sent Sussman into another tirade. But it ended when he was called a neocon, to which Sussman proceeded to "Well, neocon is a racial slur for Jews! I'm Jewish! Are you racist, Mister Liberal? Are you? ANSWER ME!" And then hung up on the guy. To top it all off, Katie Green played a sound clip of a bell from boxing, and yelled SUSSMAN 1, CALLER 0!.

This coming from a guy who mocks anyone who uses RACISM (which is dead) to defend Obama.

I swear, it works better than coffee for you guys who have to get up as early as me. Listen to him sometimes, it'll get you going in a fit of rage. Or just leave you dazed, shaking your head at the stupidity. Listen at your own risk, I suppose!

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
At first I thought that Richard Cohen article was just defaming conservatives by saying they would be nauseated by biracial families. I've lived around rabid insane conservatives all my life and not a one would bat an eye at that poo poo. For Christ's sake it's 2013.

When I reread it, I noticed how he claimed that the Republicans are not racist, but would still gag at the sight of white and black people mixing. Pretty sure that is the definition of racism.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

nyquil hangover posted:

Don't forget that ridiculous column where writes that 12 Years A Slave caused him to unlearn:

-slavery was not a benign institution in which mostly benevolent whites owned innocent and grateful blacks.

- slavery was wrong, yes, that it was evil, no doubt, but really, that many blacks were sort of content.

- Slave owners were mostly nice people — fellow Americans, after all

http://www.mediaite.com/print/ease-up-on-wapos-richard-cohen-as-of-last-week-hes-totally-down-with-slavery-being-bad/

EDIT: Richard Cohen is a racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Yeah, going "Eww mixed marriage" is beyond "gramma gets uncomfortable around hispanics" and right into "this guy is a racist rear end in a top hat".