Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

French Canadian posted:

In the last 300 pages I'm sure the current Lenovo T-series trackpad was heavily debated. Is it still terrible? I am seeing whiffs of complaints about the thing on reddit, etc. My wife is forgoing Apple to save some money and I'd like to get her a Lenovo T440, since they're on sale right now at about $610. But if the trackpad is garbage I doubt she'll be willing to use the trackpoint (the red nubby guy).

We could wait until the next T-series is released, maybe this month? Or just find something that's comparable in performance and price. I guess the i5 4200u is a good starting point? And is my concern of Acer being trash valid?

The *40 series has a dodgy trackpad, with reports of dodgy drivers on Windows, and originally it was broken on Linux. Not sure if that has been fixed.

The trackpoint though is unusable on that series as they removed the hardware buttons. So for most Thinkpad users it's a 'do not buy'.

The *50 series reinstates the buttons, and I heard a rumour that you can swap the x250 keyboard/trackpad onto the x240.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Hadlock posted:

Gitmo: have a chart. Why reviews, software and "innovation" are weightedmore heavily than Tech Support, Design, Keyboard, Screen is kind of :psyduck:

Also, how can Apple ever score highly for tech support when they make you come to a physical store all the time?

bad-yeti
Jul 29, 2004

Space Yeti.
My boss has just advised me of my business trips this year, and holy crap there are loads of flights, starting next week..

So, i'm looking for a new laptop, mainly for a little low level gaming while i'm thundering around the skies.

The main considerations are:

I'd like 15" if possible
The max that most aircraft have as an in seat power supply is 75watt, and that is my limiting factor.
Don't need DVD drive
500gb min

Any suggestions?

I have an ASUS ROG atm but it can not be seat powered so is unusable.

James Polk
Jun 18, 2010

I was born in a farmhouse in Pineville, North Carolina
I spend all my time at work moving around the office complex, so I need a lightweight Windows laptop that'll last 8+ hours and boot up quickly + browse the internet smoothly.

My previous experience with these were those 2009 era Netbooks, which were huge pieces of poo poo. Have things gotten better?

Will Rice
Jun 6, 2006
Will Sweep!

French Canadian posted:

In the last 300 pages I'm sure the current Lenovo T-series trackpad was heavily debated. Is it still terrible? I am seeing whiffs of complaints about the thing on reddit, etc. My wife is forgoing Apple to save some money and I'd like to get her a Lenovo T440, since they're on sale right now at about $610. But if the trackpad is garbage I doubt she'll be willing to use the trackpoint (the red nubby guy).

We could wait until the next T-series is released, maybe this month? Or just find something that's comparable in performance and price. I guess the i5 4200u is a good starting point? And is my concern of Acer being trash valid?

My T61 is nice, although I did replace the hard drive with a SSD. No idea about non-ancient thinkpads.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Okay, looking for new laptop recommendations. I typed this all out about a day ago, so I stuck it full of format tags. Sorry it's kinda long.

The key points:

• Using For:
    - General computer poo poo (this will be my primary PC)
    - Schoolwork; Running schoolwork-related programs like MatLab, LabView, this one other report/graph-generating program I can't remember the name of, etc.
    - Watching movies/videos
    - Using iTunes/Configuring poo poo on my iPhone and iPad (my current laptop is SLOW AS HELL whenever I try to do this stuff, so I'm mentioning it separately here)
    - Web browsing (may have lots of windows open at one time)
    - Running multiple programs at once (possibly in addition to web browser)
    - Some image editing
    - Some sheet music arranging (not sure if this needs to be specified separately or not)
    - Pulling stuff from live TV to make GIFs, short videos, etc. (I have no idea how to even do this right now but I've been wanting to learn for AGES)
    - Programming/Development-type stuff
    - Whatever other exotic poo poo I decide to do on it in the future that I can't think of/don't know about now

• Brand: Anything BUT Apple or Dell
    My current laptop is a Dell and I hate it. NO DELL. I don't care if the company or products have gotten better since I bought that laptop. I'm not going back to Dell.

I've spent the last 6 or 7 years imagining that my next laptop purchase would be an HP, so at present my brain favors HP by a good bit. However, I know that it's not realistic to narrow my search down to a single brand based on my own personal perception of it (and that this thread kinda hates HP because most of their consumer products suck), and I'm beginning to open up to other brands like Lenovo. I'm not real big on Toshiba, and I definitely won't buy Acer.

• Price: $1500 or Higher
    This is going to be my primary PC. I'm not expecting it to be cheap, and I DO NOT gently caress AROUND when making a purchase like this. My philosophy is "I will spend more money now, so that I may spend less money later", so that's what I'm prepared to do.

• Battery Life: Don't Care
    I'm not planning on using this laptop without a wall outlet very much, if ever, so I don't really care about how long the batteries last. I'll probably only take it with me away from my desk when I'm going home to visit family or going on a trip for school, which is a few times a year, tops.

• Durability: Don't Care
    Again, I'll probably only take this laptop outside a few times a year. If I do have it outside my room with me, it'll (probably) be in a protective carrying case whenever I'm not using it.

• Hard Drive Size: Biggest possible (Prefer 1TB-2TB or Larger)
    My current laptop (made in 2006) only has 60GB in hard drive space, and it's been too small for me almost since day one. Unless there's nothing larger available in a new laptop, I would consider any hard drive below 1TB to be too small.

• Processor: Intel Core i7
    Unless there's a really loving good reason why I should consider an Intel Core i5 or something less powerful (other than "Because it's cheaper"), I would heavily prefer Intel Core i7, and I don't even care about anything else.

• Screen Size: Prefer 15" or Larger
    I know it's been said in this thread a bunch of times that 17" is normally too big, and I don't really know if that applies to me or not, so I'll just say that I'd prefer a screen of at least 15", or, failing that, whatever the largest size available is. Not a strong preference; I'm more concerned about screen resolution than screen size.

• Screen Resolution: 1920 x 1080
    I'll be using this laptop to watch movies, and I'd strongly prefer a 1920 x 1080 screen resolution.

STUFF I CARE ABOUT - Use, Hard Drive Size, Performance, Screen Resolution.
STUFF I DON'T CARE ABOUT - Battery Life, Durability.

So what am I looking at?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Feb 10, 2015

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
You might honestly want to consider a cheaper ultrabook and spend the ~400 or so to buy a 1TB 850 EVO SSD.

I'm not super familiar with high end ultrabooks but HP has never really been amazing in their high end configurations.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Yeah that's why I'm opening up toward a higher-end Lenovo. I just get swayed a lot more easily than I should by brand popularity, so HP has been the predominant brand on my mind for a long time. I'm trying to work past that now, though.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

James Polk posted:

I spend all my time at work moving around the office complex, so I need a lightweight Windows laptop that'll last 8+ hours and boot up quickly + browse the internet smoothly.

My previous experience with these were those 2009 era Netbooks, which were huge pieces of poo poo. Have things gotten better?

Check out the new Dell XPS13. It's supposed to be pretty amazing.

(If you don't mind spending 800 dollars anyways).

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

SouthLAnd posted:

Check out the new Dell XPS13. It's supposed to be pretty amazing.

(If you don't mind spending 800 dollars anyways).

Definitely the one I'd be looking at if I was in the market right now.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

So what am I looking at?

If you willing to drop $1500 or more and your laptop isn't going to leave your room every often, buy a nice external 1080 monitor for $200-300. Go grab a thinkpad T440p, T540p, W540 or a HP elitebook with a 1080 screen, a quad core i7, slap 8 or 16GB of ram it, throw in a 500GB or 1TB Samsung 850 EVO then grab a usb 3.0 extrenal hard drive and be done with it.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

HalloKitty posted:

Also, how can Apple ever score highly for tech support when they make you come to a physical store all the time?

People that legitimately need help using their computers are better served with a physical location where someone can speak to them like a normal human being instead of using some outsourced tech worker using a script.

When something physical breaks, it's much easier to go to a store to swap it out then shipping back and forth. I guess it sucks if you don't live within close proximity to a whole bunch of stores.

Sir Pukesalot
Nov 3, 2012

Okay, looking for new laptop recommendations.

I can't be the only one thinking Lenovo Y50-70? I absolutely love mine, and it seems to do anything you want for less then 1500$ including a ~400$ 1tb ssd (Samsung 850 pro).

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

About to order the Sager/Clevo from XoticPC!

Seems like

+ Vid card
+ CPU / ram
+ Screen
+ Slim
+ Doesn't look silly

- Battery life
- Heat / CPU throttling
- Noise?

Avg keyboard/touchpad

edit: Ordered.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 10, 2015

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Sir Pukesalot posted:

I can't be the only one thinking Lenovo Y50-70? I absolutely love mine, and it seems to do anything you want for less then 1500$ including a ~400$ 1tb ssd (Samsung 850 pro).

Well, this thread constantly thinks y50-y70, and for good reason.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Holy poo poo, I was actually just looking at both the W540 and the Y50-70. Sounds like I had the right idea, then. :D

Calidus posted:

If you willing to drop $1500 or more and your laptop isn't going to leave your room every often, buy a nice external 1080 monitor for $200-300. Go grab a thinkpad T440p, T540p, W540 or a HP elitebook with a 1080 screen, a quad core i7, slap 8 or 16GB of ram it, throw in a 500GB or 1TB Samsung 850 EVO then grab a usb 3.0 extrenal hard drive and be done with it.

An external monitor would mean extra cash spent and extra space being taken up on my desk. The screen on my current laptop burned out about 3 or 4 years ago, and it's been hooked up to an external monitor ever since because Dell stopped making replacement screens for it awhile back. It's a really annoying setup, and I'm looking forward to doing away with it. :(

Otherwise, great advice. I'll keep all of that in mind. Thanks.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 10, 2015

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
My coworker is headed to best buy a bit later today and wants to pick up something in the store. She really likes the smaller laptops. I think 13 or 14 inches would be really good for her, or even 12". She is older but can still see well.

It would be for light use, like web sites, facebook, facebook games. A touchscreen would be a nice bonus, I'm sure. I bet she'd dig a convertible or 2-in-one. Storage space isn't important at all, seeing as she never saved anything to her desktop computer.

Any suggestions would be helpful. I've been pricing out smaller laptops for the last several months for myself so I know a few things but nothing on Best Buy's site jumps out on me (at least that is available in-store.) I don't know if a chromebook would be right for her at this point.

I think she would like to spend $3-500 or so. Thank you.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

apathypuff posted:

My coworker is headed to best buy a bit later today and wants to pick up something in the store. She really likes the smaller laptops. I think 13 or 14 inches would be really good for her, or even 12". She is older but can still see well.

It would be for light use, like web sites, facebook, facebook games. A touchscreen would be a nice bonus, I'm sure. I bet she'd dig a convertible or 2-in-one. Storage space isn't important at all, seeing as she never saved anything to her desktop computer.

Any suggestions would be helpful. I've been pricing out smaller laptops for the last several months for myself so I know a few things but nothing on Best Buy's site jumps out on me (at least that is available in-store.) I don't know if a chromebook would be right for her at this point.

Do not buy laptops from a store, ever.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

apathypuff posted:

That's what Chromebooks are for.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
I'll tell her to look at the yoga 2 for $529 and also the Samsung and Toshiba Chromebook 2s. Thanks ya dingbats

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
The Acer C720 is $200 and does exactly what she's looking for. I think it's possible to find a touch screen version for around 100 more.

Edit: Is there a reason you think a Chromebook is not what she's looking for?

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
That xps13 looks pretty hot. Is there anything in a similar form factor with better graphics? I dont game a lot and have a decent desktop but, ya know.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

Do not buy laptops from a store, ever.

Well unless it's Apple.

Fetus Tree posted:

That xps13 looks pretty hot. Is there anything in a similar form factor with better graphics? I dont game a lot and have a decent desktop but, ya know.

That form factor is kind of mutually exclusive with better graphics. It's tiny and light.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

Well unless it's Apple.
Or a Chromebook.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There are some bad Chromebooks though. If you know the ones to get then yeah that's true too.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Are HP ZBooks any good? I found an interesting build on HP's website that I'm considering along with those two Lenovos mentioned earlier.

Also I'm wondering what "Intel Turbo Boost Technology" is, since it's mentioned in the product description as making a pretty big difference in the processor's performance.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Are HP ZBooks any good? I found an interesting build on HP's website that I'm considering along with those two Lenovos mentioned earlier.

Yes, they are good, or very good. Them and Elitebooks are HP's good laptops. I mean maybe there's some config with 1366x768 el cheapo screen though, or even 1920x1080 el cheapo screen, so look out for that.

Also I'm wondering what "Intel Turbo Boost Technology" is, since it's mentioned in the product description as making a pretty big difference in the processor's performance.

Every processor has that, even AMD ones :rimshot: . It just means it doesn't run the CPU at a constant clock-rate, instead running faster/slower based on temperature and idleness and such. Maybe technically that branding isn't on Intel Core i3 mobile processors, because they just max out at their stated clock rate, instead of some higher number. The stated clock rate is what the machine should be able to run at for prolonged periods of time.

Edit: Carefully selected the smilie.

sarehu fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 10, 2015

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

sarehu posted:

Every processor has that, even AMD ones :rimshot: . It just means it doesn't run the CPU at a constant clock-rate, instead running faster/slower based on temperature and idleness and such. Maybe technically that branding isn't on Intel Core i3 mobile processors, because they just max out at their stated clock rate, instead of some higher number. The stated clock rate is what the machine should be able to run at for prolonged periods of time.

So would 2.8-3.8 GHz be considered a decent range for an i7? 3.8 GHz seems to be toward the very high end on the i7s I've seen so far.

EDIT: By which I mean, an i7 running 2.8 GHz at the slowest, up to 3.8 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 10, 2015

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

So would 2.8-3.8 GHz be considered a decent range for an i7? 3.8 GHz seems to be toward the very high end on the i7s I've seen so far.

Yes. Also 3.8 GHz would be the max speed you could hypothetically get for a single core, but if you had two cores, it would be 3.7 GHz and three or four cores, 3.6 GHz (just making up some numbers here, but there are hard limits approximately like that). Many machines you buy simply won't even hit the max, because of, like, the BIOS, or something, I don't know, sometimes you'll just be 100 MHz below the max for even the shortest of bursts, and that's just how it is.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Do Yoga 2 Pros ever pop up on the Lenovo Outlet or are they too popular? I'm looking for a Windows laptop ideally with an SSD that can do some light gaming (like Football Manager stuff) and is fairly easy to carry around, but ideally want to stay in the $500 or so range. I don't mind used or refurbished or whatever which is why I was looking there.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

EDIT: By which I mean, an i7 running 2.8 GHz at the slowest, up to 3.8 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost.

The processor will run at a really low clock if you're doing nothing (like 1GHz low) to save energy, can run at 2.8GHz forever, and under heavy use will run at more than 2.8GHz for an unspecified amount of time depending on how much power it puts out - processors have a thermal design power of say 35W and if it ends up putting out more than that it'll throttle back down till it doesn't.

If you can live with a dual core i7 (i.e. a faster i5 like most laptop i7s, not a proper quad core i7), get a Thinkpad W550s with the IPS display and add a dock since it's a major quality of life improvement if you have many peripherals. Otherwise get a W540 with an IPS display if you can live with the lovely trackpad and lack of trackpoint buttons, or wait for the W550. Buy some RAM sticks, a big Samsung 850/Intel 530 series SSD, and an external 2tb hard drive yourself since Lenovo will charge you through the nose in their shop. e: and get a dock anyway. The big laptop rest style docks are better than docks that connect to a USB port.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 11, 2015

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Buddy at work just sent his Yoga 2 back and is just going to wait for a deal on a new X1. Yellow screen, running hot, no track point, and wasn't crazy about the whole convertible thing.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Okay, looking for new laptop recommendations. I typed this all out about a day ago, so I stuck it full of format tags. Sorry it's kinda long.

The key points:

[list][*]Using For:
- General computer poo poo (this will be my primary PC)

[*]Price: $1500 or Higher
This is going to be my primary PC. I'm not expecting it to be cheap, and I DO NOT gently caress AROUND when making a purchase like this. My philosophy is "I will spend more money now, so that I may spend less money later", so that's what I'm prepared to do.
[*]Processor: Intel Core i7
Unless there's a really loving good reason why I should consider an Intel Core i5 or something less powerful (other than "Because it's cheaper"), I would heavily prefer Intel Core i7, and I don't even care about anything else.

[*]Screen Size: Prefer 15" or Larger
I know it's been said in this thread a bunch of times that 17" is normally too big, and I don't really know if that applies to me or not, so I'll just say that I'd prefer a screen of at least 15", or, failing that, whatever the largest size available is. Not a strong preference; I'm more concerned about screen resolution than screen size.

STUFF I CARE ABOUT - Use, Hard Drive Size, Performance, Screen Resolution.
STUFF I DON'T CARE ABOUT - Battery Life, Durability.

So what am I looking at?

I would get a T450 when they come out with the 1080p IPS touchscreen for when it actually leaves the desk, a docking station, and 2 x 1080p displays or maybe 2560x1440 IPS displays.

Docking stations don't really make sense for a home user because it's an extra cost but in this case you're an ideal cannidate, and you get a reasonable sized laptop with an excellent screen for when you travel. T450 has an ultrabay so you can slam a second 2TB SSD in there and it will eat 16GB RAM.

So like,
T450, maxed out with nvidia/ati graphics = $1300
Docking station $100
Spare 2TB SSD in ultrabay (4TB total) $400
total = $1800

2 x 2560 x 1440 display @ $330 = 660; total = $2460

Getting some floppy monster laptop that creaks when you try and pick it up to tell your friends you got some monster laptop is dumb but getting a quality laptop with a docking station and plugging two displays in to the docking station is a good idea.

You can spend a poo poo-ton of money on a laptop, because retailers know people like you exist, but the fact of the matter is even an i3 is pretty loving fast in today's world, and diminishing returns stack up pretty fast past an i5. But if you literally have nothing better to spend an extra $700 on for making animated GIFs there are some 17" laptops with high resolution displays that you can buy to tell your friends about. The "I will spend more money now, so that I may spend less money later" magic price point in 2015 is about $1100 these days, this is no longer 2004. You're trying to buy a $180,000 Ferrari for $1.5 million dollars, it just doesn't make sense in today's market. I think you'd be a lot happier with 2 x 27", 2560 x 1440 diplays plugged in to a docking station though.

Edit: spend the $700 you would save on a better desk. For $100 I built a great desk out of 3 x 6ft 2x12's back in college that comfortably held 2x 24" displays + a laptop. You could probably get away with a single 36" 4K display if you're really cramped for space.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Feb 11, 2015

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Hadlock posted:

I would get a T450 when they come out with the 1080p IPS touchscreen for when it actually leaves the desk, a docking station, and 2 x 1080p displays or maybe 2560x1440 IPS displays.

Docking stations don't really make sense for a home user because it's an extra cost but in this case you're an ideal cannidate, and you get a reasonable sized laptop with an excellent screen for when you travel. T450 has an ultrabay so you can slam a second 2TB SSD in there and it will eat 16GB RAM.

So like,
T450, maxed out with nvidia/ati graphics = $1300
Docking station $100
total = $1800

2 x 2560 x 1440 display @ $330 = 660; total = $2460

Getting some floppy monster laptop that creaks when you try and pick it up to tell your friends you got some monster laptop is dumb but getting a quality laptop with a docking station and plugging two displays in to the docking station is a good idea.

You can spend a poo poo-ton of money on a laptop, because retailers know people like you exist, but the fact of the matter is even an i3 is pretty loving fast in today's world, and diminishing returns stack up pretty fast past an i5. But if you literally have nothing better to spend an extra $700 on for making animated GIFs there are some 17" laptops with high resolution displays that you can buy to tell your friends about. The "I will spend more money now, so that I may spend less money later" magic price point in 2015 is about $1100 these days, this is no longer 2004. You're trying to buy a $180,000 Ferrari for $1.5 million dollars, it just doesn't make sense in today's market. I think you'd be a lot happier with 2 x 27", 2560 x 1440 diplays plugged in to a docking station though.

Edit: spend the $700 you would save on a better desk

That seems excessive for his usecase to me. I'd probably buy a 20 dollar USB enclosure, swap the default HDD in the T450 with a 1 TB SSD and enjoy your new external hard drive. Get another external hard drive if you want more space.

Alternatively you could buy a ~gaming laptop~ - with a good screen and space for two hard drives at once. You'll get better specs than the T450 will give you, but you'll lose the utility of the docking station and the two monitors, though you can still probably use one.

Comedy option: get a workstation. You'll have all the ports you want.

Honestly, the other option you could consider is buying a cheap chromebook or something and building a PC for your desk. If you're not going to move it much you'll get waaaaaaaaay more value for your dollar than you will from a laptop.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The T440/T450 has two hard drive bays, you don't even need an external enclosure. And the docking station has another hard drive bay I'm pretty sure. But simply 2TB of onboard SSD doesn't sound like it would be exxxtreme enough for Gitmo.

Realism mode laptop would be an i5 T450 with the graphics card option for about $900, skip the ram/hard drive upgrades until he actually needs them (SSD prices keep plummeting and DDR4 is going to drop the price of DDR3 this fall), get the docking station and a quality 4K screen (or 2 x 1080p), he's looking for about $1700 out the door with plenty of upgrade options on the hard drive/ram when/if he needs them.

Reality mode yes would be a loving $900 "gaming" desktop and a $200 chromebook but some people just get boners for owning a 17" laptop. I worked with a guy who got his masters in CS and when he graduated, it was Really loving Important he got a 17" gaming laptop No Matter What.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Feb 11, 2015

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Hadlock posted:

You paid $400 for your 2TB 2.5" SSD? You got ripped off, man.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Dominoes posted:

About to order the Sager/Clevo from XoticPC!

Seems like

+ Vid card
+ CPU / ram
+ Screen
+ Slim
+ Doesn't look silly

- Battery life
- Heat / CPU throttling
- Noise?

Avg keyboard/touchpad

edit: Ordered.

You'll have to tell me all about it. Did you get the gtx970?

Edit: Apparently I can't click links before posting. I don't think the noise will be bad at all unless you're doing heavy gaming, but that's what headsets are for. It does have a pretty stout cooling setup.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 11, 2015

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm using newegg numbers, the last SSD I got was a woot.com special; anything above 200mb/s read/write on your boot drive is gravy. Most people didn't notice the Samsung evo 840 firmware speeed bug until some guy made a big stink about it (and didn't notice a second time when the firmware fix didn't actually fix it).

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience

wooger posted:

The *40 series has a dodgy trackpad, with reports of dodgy drivers on Windows, and originally it was broken on Linux. Not sure if that has been fixed.

The trackpoint though is unusable on that series as they removed the hardware buttons. So for most Thinkpad users it's a 'do not buy'.

The *50 series reinstates the buttons, and I heard a rumour that you can swap the x250 keyboard/trackpad onto the x240.

It reinstates the buttons for the trackpoint, but I was hoping it would also reinstate buttons below the trackpad. Am I misinterpreting the internet anger about the buttons? I guess it was all directed at the trackpoint buttons from what you're saying.

The main objective is to use the trackpad with my index finger and click the mouse buttons with my thumb. I can do that right now on my X120E because there are two tiny buttons below the pad. Perhaps this type of functionality was never actually called into question about the newer T-series? If not, then I guess we're safe getting a T440 or newer since its integrated mouse buttons (in the trackpad) aren't the issue here. Confirm/deny?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We're getting physical buttons back, if you want a proper ultranav with mouse buttons on the top and bottom, you'll have to order a high end Dell, Toshiba or HP

All the *50 series Thinkpads on the Australia site (where this photo comes from) have very similar touchpad setup: