Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Covok posted:

I just worked with a recruiter to get the strangest job interview of my life. Here is what happened.

The interview itself was pretty short. Basic questions on job history, a job application filled out by hand, two references from my previous employers. Easy. I asked a few questions and then I was taken to HR.

There, HR had me take a skills test. For reference, I am an accountant with 5 years experience and Big 4 experience. They had me do a 3rd grade math and spelling test without a calculator while someone watched. It was surreal. Like, I've had taken tests in interviews before, but they're usually verbal concept questions. Like, "how do you depreciate a rental property," not "what is 22.40 x 5." I did it. Then I had to do a basic excel exercise and a typing test. No idea if 69 words per minute with no spelling errors is good or not. Usually, accountants are more focused on being right, not fast.

Also, another weird thing, I kind of got my recruiter to spill the beans on exactly what salary he offered me at. Looks like he split the difference on my range. That's fine. It's only 2k less than the maximum I asked for so I am fine with a 49% raise from my current salary. I gave exactly that figure at the interview when they asked. The recruiter said he already told them, but it seemed like just took a massive poo poo in the middle of the room when I said it. I told the recruiter that in less colorful language and he was confused too. My salary was 10k more than what they were looking for so he though that might have been an issue, but he already told them that was my offer and they agreed to interview me under that context. I said maybe I read the room wrong, but they all got quiet and looked kind of sullen, like I had something wrong, you ever get the feeling? And he was like "well, if they didn't read my e-mail, that's on them, but we should know by Monday or Tuesday if they are moving forward."

tbh by "math and spelling test" it was obvious how the post was going to end, with them only looking to pay rock bottom salary.

Recruiters lie, .mp4 at 11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Eric the Mauve posted:

tbh by "math and spelling test" it was obvious how the post was going to end, with them only looking to pay rock bottom salary.

Yeah either an honest mismatch somewhere or someone wasn't honest in the recruiter/ company conversation.

Recruiters lie but hiring managers do too.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Eric the Mauve posted:

To be honest, I think he is also lying about what they were looking for in a salary. I googled the job description and found the exact same job description posted by the company offering only 55k. I actually called the recruiter out on this yesterday but he said he already told them what I was looking for was way more than that. So, I think the 10k difference thing is a lie he said. 55k would be almost a 50k difference in expectations. Which would explain the fart in the room effect.

Edit: Probably needless to say but 55k would be a significant pay cut for me so I immediately called out the recruiter on this. I only got the idea to double check things yesterday but I already was going to take the day so I decided to go anyway.

Covok fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 22, 2022

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
nothin wrong with a little interview practice

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The only thing I am worried about is they asked me to sign up for an employment reference check, but the contract and them said it would only occur if I accepted the offer. It still struck me as odd and had me a little worried since my current job is unaware. I marked "no" on the application asking them not to contact my current employer. But then I got additional paperwork to sign to authorize a reference check that would occur on acceptance of any offers. It still made me uneasy.

Edit: I asked the HR person about it and she said they'd only do it if I accepted an offer because it costs them money so there is no reason to do it if they weren't getting anything from it, when I mentioned my concern.

Covok fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 22, 2022

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

nothin wrong with a little interview math and spelling practice

Covok
May 27, 2013

I will be honest. I definitely hot to convert ounces to cups.

That was actually a question. I guess gently caress people not from America? I mean, I am, but also don't know the imperial system. I use in my kitchen because everything in America is written in it, but I don't grok it, you know? School taught me the metric system in my area.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Covok posted:

I will be honest. I definitely hot to convert ounces to cups.

That was actually a question. I guess gently caress people not from America? I mean, I am, but also don't know the imperial system. I use in my kitchen because everything in America is written in it, but I don't grok it, you know? School taught me the metric system in my area.

That's actually really non-trivial.

If you're doing it with water, you can just use "a pint's a pound the world around" and go 2 cups = pint = pound = 16 oz and conclude one cup = 8 oz.

However, if what you're measuring has a different density than water, it might be lighter or heavier for the same volume.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Quackles posted:

That's actually really non-trivial.

If you're doing it with water, you can just use "a pint's a pound the world around" and go 2 cups = pint = pound = 16 oz and conclude one cup = 8 oz.

However, if what you're measuring has a different density than water, it might be lighter or heavier for the same volume.

Wtf? A pint is 20oz by law.

https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/mc-mc.nsf/eng/h_lm00007.html

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I interviewed for a role a few weeks ago that required me to take a test of 50 SAT-like questions. You needed at least 20 questions right.

I was sweating, you guys.

I know that you're supposed to just skip the ones you don't immediately get, but you could only do 5 at a time and once you passed to the next page, you couldn't go back, which is some bullshit.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i had to take the wonderlic as part of an interview

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Only in Britain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_the_imperial_and_US_customary_measurement_systems#Volume

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i had to take the wonderlic as part of an interview

I did too and got a very mediocre score. got the job anyway.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Xguard86 posted:

I did too and got a very mediocre score. got the job anyway.

they wouldn't tell me my score but probably did well; they gave me an offer

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Yeah I found out mine years later when I was working with the recruiting team. We ditched it around that time because no one could find a correlation between scores and performance, so why make people do it?

Standardized tests are also a skill and you forget a lot fast. Anyone thinking of taking the GRE GMAT LSAT etc, do it while you're in school or immediately after and just bank your score.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yeah this is how I look at it.

I had my follow up interviews yesterday with one more scheduled for Tuesday (person was out on vacation so they asked if I'd be okay doing an interview with them next week). They went fine for the most part, couple of things in retrospect I wish I had asked or mentioned, but nothing major. The behavioral was easy, and I'm pretty sure I used the same work examples I did last time, but the interviewer seemed happy with it so whatever, not gonna stress about it. All three brought it up again that I had interviewed with them before last year, but were pleasant about it and all of them indicated they were glad I gave them a second shot. Also I didn't have to re-interview with the person I interviewed with last time who was clearly writing emails and messaging people during our interview, who then cut me off half way through the interview to tell me I didn't understand the role. Even though I was essentially repeating the description given to me by the hiring manager and fitting myself into that role. So that was a plus.

Anyways, the hiring manager let it slip that they have two internal candidates to interview as well, so I'm treating this as practice at this point. Fully expecting the "THANKS FOR APPLYING BUT YOUR NEW JOB IS WITH ANOTHER EMPLOYER!" email next week, but if I get an offer, that'd be a welcome surprise.

Smif-N-Wessun
Jan 18, 2009

P.U.S.H.
Can anyone give me an example of an answer to the question "Tell me about yourself"?

I know how I'm supposed to answer, but I tend to drag on too long. I'm looking for an answer so that I can understand the structure and pace.

Please help, my job right now is incredibly toxic and its seriously affecting my mental health.

Again, not looking for how to answer it, but a word for word example of how someone would answer that question. I seriously can't find a good one when searching, its all advice on how to do it without any concrete examples.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Smif-N-Wessun posted:

Can anyone give me an example of an answer to the question "Tell me about yourself"?

I know how I'm supposed to answer, but I tend to drag on too long. I'm looking for an answer so that I can understand the structure and pace.

Please help, my job right now is incredibly toxic and its seriously affecting my mental health.

Again, not looking for how to answer it, but a word for word example of how someone would answer that question. I seriously can't find a good one when searching, its all advice on how to do it without any concrete examples.

Mine goes something like “I’m from a small town in the Midwest. I ran away from home and joined the Navy so I didn’t have to CONTINUE to live in a small town in the Midwest. I’ve lived in 7 states, 3 countries, in 2.5 continents. I fiddle with computers and play blues guitar in my spare time and I think my expanded worldview makes me a great fit for your company.”

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Smif-N-Wessun posted:

When people here talk about you needing to build a narrative to sell yourself to the company on how their job is the logical progression of that narrative that's what they mean. You need to pick the bits of your life that add up to that. You can't just ask for someone else to answer that question because it's specific to both job and person.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Agree with above if this question is asked early in an interview. This is the chance to give life context to your resume. If there's a 2 year gap where you moved to take care of your mom, can mention that briefly here.

If asked later they might mean to tell them about you outside of work.

EDIT: Aggressive autocorrect I didnt notice

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 25, 2022

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

CarForumPoster posted:

Agree with above if this question is asked early in an interview. This is the chance to give life context to your resume. If they’re a 2 year gap where you moved to take care of your mom, can mention that briefly here.

If asked later they mitigate mean to tell them about you outside of work.
Oh yeah, that's a solid point. In that case you list your hobbies and throw the coolest one in the middle like it's no big deal.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Arquinsiel posted:

Oh yeah, that's a solid point. In that case you list your hobbies and throw the coolest one in the middle like it's no big deal.

Making beaded jewelry for my beanie babies :getin:

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Smif-N-Wessun posted:

Assuming it's the start-of-interview/introductory version, I aim for a 15-20 second summary of my resume, leave a hook for followup questions, and reiterate interest in the position (which, admittedly, is exceedingly brownnosery)

Word for word:

not my actual history posted:

My name is Scout Wren and I've worked in the industry for 8 years, with the last five at mompopcorp. In that time, I implemented a new onboarding process for our department and helped HR launch it companywide. During that process, I realized that I enjoy building structures to help my coworkers succeed, which is why I'm really excited to talk to you more about this retention manager position. I think it's a great way to use this new passion while also leveraging my salesforce experience.

A fun fact, memorable hobby, or anything to make the interviewers give a poo poo about you doesn't go amiss here either. I've found it's typically kind of an "unscored element" of interviews, usually not a question candidates are compared on but one that can engage the interviewers and lead to a better perception.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Had my final interview today with an internal client that I'd be working with if I were hired. It went pretty well. Which wasn't a high bar to clear since last time I interviewed for this position, the other internal client I interviewed with was clearly writing emails and messaging people instead of paying attention. That and they cut me off at one point mid-sentence to tell me I didn't understand the role, despite me repeating verbatim what the hiring manager described the roll as not 20 minutes prior.

In any case, I'm chalking this go-around purely as solid interviewing experience. I know they have two internal candidates interviewing for the role as well, so I'm already anticipating the rejection email by the end of the week. I did a lot better this time than I did last time though, felt a lot more at ease. So I'm gonna try learn from this as much as possible. On to the next one.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Handsome Ralph posted:

In any case, I'm chalking this go-around purely as solid interviewing experience.
Someone in this or the negotiating thread said to treat every interview as practice for the interview you'll do for your dream job, and the very first interview I did that in I got an offer from.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Had an interesting phone call. The guy on the phone told me my resume is great...if I wanted to stay in the field. He's actually the second recruiter I know who was a public accountant who fled the industry. He said he worked in basically the same gig as me and told me what I had to change. I thought I'd share it.
  • Dumb it down. He said he knew that bookkeeping meant high level stuff but only other accountants recognize that a senior accountant means high level when they say bookkeeping. I need to break it down into "prepared financial statements including income statements, balance sheets, statement of cash flows, and otherwise. Audited general ledgers for accurancy as well as to ensure books compiled with US GAAP and IFRS as apporiate, managed accounts receivable and accounts payable matters, prepared books under both cash and accural systems, performed adjusting entires for numerous relevant functions such as prepaid expenes. Prepared proposals for bidding on large scale captial projects. Prepared compilation reports. Prepared document for loan applications and assited in matters related to audits."
  • Give my revenue ranges. Say "clients revenue ranged from $100,000 per year to $10,000,000 per year."
  • Mention how many people I did manage "Managed and trained a team of four junior accountants."
  • Put the industry up at top. "Clients were in a variety of industries, such as retail, film production, restaurants, civil construction, private construction, real estate sales, real estate management, landscaping, autorepair, electrical installations, personal trainning, fitness centers, unions, nonprofit youth programs, plumbing, domestic production, furniture sales and installation, luxury furniture manufacturing, advertising, food delivery, grocery stores, and personal home security."

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

good advice but i'd probably list a couple of types of industries, or prepare slight variants of the resume with different similar sets of industries. if i am in manufacturing idgaf if you did youth outreach nonprofits or whatever.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Version A

Version B

Based on the advice, I made two versions. I think version A is better for my current job section. It's more focused on what I think a corporate accounting job would care about while not having any sentences or sections that are too long. Like, I dropped the sales data because that doesn't matter to a corporate accounting job and I greatly pulled back the tax info because most corporations outsource those functions.

Flora Finching
Sep 10, 2009

As a former hiring manager I would never read all that. People are skimming a whole lot of resumes. Keep your bullet points short with space in between. You can elaborate in the interview. Resumegenius has some great sample resumes for different fields, also some action words to use. Like if you do some kind of reports. Instead of saying "responsible for" say "accurately completed blah blah reports in compliance with (your industry) guidelines. Tell them how great you are at doing the thing and throw in any accomplishments they can relate to.

One thing that has helped me since I'm applying for jobs in different industries is to have a document with a bunch of skills and bullet points. I just pop them in and do a custom resume based on the job description. I banged out 20 resumes in a couple hours this week.

Had a pretty decent no pants Zoom interview today, felt good after a lovely in person one with the state a couple days ago. I blame pants.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Every interview is a no-pants interview if you’re bold enough.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Sheesh one of those bullet points is a novel.

I don’t think I ever have a bullet longer than two sentences, and I have to think real hard about whether it absolutely can’t be shorter when it is that long.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Covok posted:

Version A

Version B

Based on the advice, I made two versions. I think version A is better for my current job section. It's more focused on what I think a corporate accounting job would care about while not having any sentences or sections that are too long. Like, I dropped the sales data because that doesn't matter to a corporate accounting job and I greatly pulled back the tax info because most corporations outsource those functions.
Your verb tenses should be consistent throughout the text block. You have some typos in there like complied to compiled. Also take a couple more passes to clean up your wordy prose. Succinctness is a virtue. Version A is better, but it reads like you gave up editing your rough draft half way through.

Dik Hz fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jul 28, 2022

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I don't know the specific space but it also seems to me like you're combining a lot of different duties in each bullet point. Bullet points should be used to separate ideas and concepts so that the reader can more readily find what they are looking for.

If you reduced the word count by about 50% that would be good, too.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dik Hz posted:

Your verb tenses should be consistent throughout the text block. You have some typos in there like complied to compiled. Also take a couple more passes to clean up your wordy prose. Succinctness is a virtue. Version A is better, but it reads like you gave up editing your rough draft half way through.

agree with this. A is better, probably can be cut way back unless your industry is very specifically verbose.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Covok posted:

Version A

Version B

In addition to the verb tenses that others mentioned, I don't know if I like starting with "Team Lead" (LEED, the title of someone who leads) because I kept reading it as "Team Lead" (LED, the act of someone who leads in the past), which was confusion. Keep it as an action word for clarity so either "Lead team etc" or "Served as Team Lead etc."

And yeah, I don't know if listing a million different industries is the best. Maybe you can put that in a block somewhere, in the same way a software developer might put their programming languages? OR you can just trim it to the 5-8 that sound most impressive to the prospect being targetted at the time.

Overall they both seem alright at first glance, might give them another look when I'm not on lunch.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

One thing that strikes me on another read is a continuous use of "responsible for" which I do not care for.

eg: "Responsible for the preparation of federal and state income tax returns for corporations, individuals, and partnerships"

Why not just say "Prepared federal and state income tax returns for corporations, individuals, and partnerships"

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
If we're doing CV review do you guys mind if I post mine?

This is for contract manager positions which is a hybrid legal/operational role (doesn't strictly require a legal background but is good to have).

I mentioned it upthread, but I've lived and worked outside of the US, but with some US focus in my work. An international background isn't necessarily a minus for this type of role, but it does mean you have more to prove.

Edit: also, what's the consensus on adding a line for certifications I'm working towards?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

dpkg chopra posted:

This is for contract manager positions which is a hybrid legal/operational role (doesn't strictly require a legal background but is good to have).

I mentioned it upthread, but I've lived and worked outside of the US, but with some US focus in my work. An international background isn't necessarily a minus for this type of role, but it does mean you have more to prove.

Edit: also, what's the consensus on adding a line for certifications I'm working towards?

Same warning I give everyone: I'm not a hiring manager; I'm a software developer who has read a bunch of resumes and helped a few friends and colleagues write them, including some not originally from the US. I tend to focus on words bullshit so forgive some mild pedantry.

I think you should consider calling them 'skills' instead of 'highlights' since highlights sounds more like career highlights, specific moments instead of tangible benefits you can provide. Also, make them shorter and punchier with as few additional clauses as possible. For instance, Negotiation and Strong Interpersonal Skills aren't really related so concatenating them doesn't really work.

Will someone reading this know what an AML or KYC are without being told? NDA is probably fine.

You mostly have good action words for your resume, but you have a few outliers.
  • You use "successfully" to start one of them; restructure that sentence to start with the word Litigated.
  • You use drafted 3 times. Like a novel, you don't want to re-use words if you can avoid it. Unless there is a professional reason the term 'drafted' is necessary, I would try and find other action words to start with, either by using a synonym like 'composed' or restructuring the accomplishment to start with a different word somehow.
  • "Key Player" isn't an action word.

Honestly, I don't like that first bullet "Key Player" in the Senior Associate section at all. I (the fictional HR drone) don't care if you've been praised for anything; I want to know what your rear end can do for me. So it should be something like "Completed first credit card etc etc etc" or something. The issue is I don't even really understand what this accomplishment is supposed to be.

Remember what the OP says:

Bisty Q. posted:

[*] The one weird old tip that your doctor hates, discovered by a mom that will set you apart from anybody else: your resume is a showcase of your accomplishments, not a rehash of your experience. You need to sell, sell, sell how you stood out in every single job.

It sounds like that point is might be big standout in your career, but I can't tell by reading this.

I also like to organize my sections of accomplishments from "most impressive" to "medium impressive" for impact. They're going to mostly be looking at the top of each entry in all probablity.

Don't capitalize "subject-matter experts" unless that is the proper name of a company I've never heard of.

This is real nitpicky, but it's at the top, so: In American English, I think it's way more common to say 10+ rather than +10.

This house resume has good bones, though. A few more passes and you'll be in good shape.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I thin a different format might help you.
Standard stuff: You're spending too much time describing the jobs and not enough on what your accomplishments are. You have some good ones when you have it though, just need to expand it.

I don't like your highlights, too soft but I know this industry and it's not uncommon. I'd maybe combine points 5-8 into just.a general one.

dpkg chopra posted:

If you've spent some money on books or coursework I'd add it. If it's the bar definitely list it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

dpkg chopra posted:

Why would you include a line about certs you don’t have?

Also, if you’re targeting a resume at a specific job, tailor your bullet points to look as much like the job posting as possible. Straight up use the same action verbs if you can.

Third, your highlights section is too long. You’re just repeating everything in your resume.