Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

White supremacy + there is loving nothing to do there + all the good roads are about an hour or two of perfectly dead straight slab away. Gmaps that poo poo if you don't believe me.

Well to be fair, that is the preferred colour for wool. Much easier to dye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

builds character posted:

Why? That’s crazy.

*squirms uncomfortably*

My dumb brain understanding: neolib govt policy doubling down on middle class 'property investment' aka be a landlord as your retirement plan has led to an enormous, ongoing property market bubble, as well as a bitter generational and class rift. The detailed numbers are infuriating and kind of surreal. Suffice it to say if you're under 35 you're not getting a house unless you inherit wealth or lucked out and got into a certain industry at the right time like IT, it's rent slavery until the sun implodes. The latest government promised to fix it by taxing capital gains on property, but then realised it would upset a lot of people so they decided not to.

There's also a secondary issue of fixation on 'a house' that, along with nimby poo poo, deters densification and leads to ludicrous poo poo like sandwiched rows of room-width, two story townhomes that have a tiny front and back lawn, but no driveway or anywhere to park a car at all besides the street with the other 30-40 people. Also subdivisions which, if you don't know, here:

redleader posted:

unrelated, but the housing market is doing fine:

and for those who choose to not buy, for whatever reason (although i simply cannot imagine why people would not be buying houses right now), the rental market has some extremely high quality properties going:

The Herald contacted the Trade Me advertiser, who confirmed the property was for rent and asked whether the reporter wanted a viewing.

NZ has really good international marketing.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

*squirms uncomfortably*

My dumb brain understanding: neolib govt policy doubling down on middle class 'property investment' aka be a landlord as your retirement plan has led to an enormous, ongoing property market bubble, as well as a bitter generational and class rift. The detailed numbers are infuriating and kind of surreal. Suffice it to say if you're under 35 you're not getting a house unless you inherit wealth or lucked out and got into a certain industry at the right time like IT, it's rent slavery until the sun implodes. The latest government promised to fix it by taxing capital gains on property, but then realised it would upset a lot of people so they decided not to.

There's also a secondary issue of fixation on 'a house' that, along with nimby poo poo, deters densification and leads to ludicrous poo poo like sandwiched rows of room-width, two story townhomes that have a tiny front and back lawn, but no driveway or anywhere to park a car at all besides the street with the other 30-40 people. Also subdivisions which, if you don't know, here:

NZ has really good international marketing.

You guys are hosed. Your median price is higher than NYC. More money for bikes, I suppose.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I was gonna say NZ is continuing to sound like an island version of BC but there are places in BC where a house is still affordable, so long as you don't mind living in a dying mining town that's an hour's drive on gravel road away from the next dying logging town

I hear if you even think the word "Vancouver" at your purchase negotiation they tack a half mil onto the price

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Starting to think I'm never gonna find a ct110.

Just went to look at one described as "good stock condition" and it had a fucken lifan 125 in it. Dude goes "oh yeah, I forgot".

Last week I went to look at one, asked if I could test ride it, the old dude goes "nah, it won't select gears, it just needs a clutch adjustment though", and then wouldn't either let me try to do it or do it himself.

That's on top of three or four where the sellers were either so sketchy or hosed around so much I never even ended up going to check them out.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I only saw the price first and was like that seems pretty reasonable, what is he talking about - ohhh

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Let’s did it?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

E:nm

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I recognize she's the PM of NZ but I don't get the "let's did it" reference. I'm guessing that ad is satire and people blame her for housing or something like that? We're going to need Slavvy to decipher the mystical memes of this far away land.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah I can’t tell if that’s a local NZ English quirk or some joke/troll thing or what

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
So if I want to retire to NZ, I just need to save up a million to buy a passport a la Peter Thiel, and another couple million for housing. The exchange rate's in my favor, let's do this

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jazzzzz posted:

So if I want to retire to NZ, I just need to save up a million to buy a passport a la Peter Thiel, and another couple million for housing. The exchange rate's in my favor, let's do this

I mean, that same basic premise extends to basically anywhere pleasant to live.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I would imagine that the US's billionaires choosing NZ as their backout plan for when climate crisis and social unrest gets bad enough is also not helping. I believe Peter Theil is one such example. https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/feb/15/why-silicon-valley-billionaires-are-prepping-for-the-apocalypse-in-new-zealand

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Hmm I guess maybe we need a specialized apocalypse that is focused on and limited to all billionaires.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MomJeans420 posted:

I recognize she's the PM of NZ but I don't get the "let's did it" reference. I'm guessing that ad is satire and people blame her for housing or something like that? We're going to need Slavvy to decipher the mystical memes of this far away land.

Her campaign slogan was 'let's do this' in reference to the various things she was supposed to try to fix that the previous government exacerbated, like the dire child poverty, brutal youth suicide rate, insane inequality and, explicitly, the housing crisis. First term in power: our stodgy old man coalition partner is blocking everything, sorry, gotta kick him out first and then we'll do things. Second term in power: ok he's gone now and we can govern with a supermajority because of our insane popularity but we can't govern for all new zealanders and really, if you think about it, the public has to take some of the blame and also, it turns out a third of the country are landlords or have all their net worth leveraged to gently caress and dependant on houses never ever getting cheaper. The backlash against jacinda for this stereotypical bait and switch bs is enormous among everyone under 35, she is being kept afloat by her absolutely stellar covid response + imo a reluctance to side with the old racist contingent who never liked her to begin with because of boomer reasons.

The ad itself is real, it is a shipping container in someone's back yard with a tent glued on for $360/wk and is emblematic of the entire problem. The life goal of basically everyone on this loving island is to get a house, wait for it's value to inflate, leverage that into another house you actually want to live in and rent the first one out, then get rich off the accumulated capital gains. The fact that this will effectively enslave an entire generation doesn't seem to bother anyone who matters and most MP's are landlords or at least have a property portfolio (when other people do the landlording for you) so it's unlikely to ever get fixed.

captainOrbital posted:

Hmm I guess maybe we need a specialized apocalypse that is focused on and limited to all billionaires.

Specialized hardened steel, gravity driven portable apocalypse.

Anyway this is not bike stuff, if you want to ask people who aren't idiots about all this head to the thread I quoted and watch people call me a moron occasionally.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

no thank you

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Every so often I get a wild hair to move to SoCal or the Bay Area or something. And then I remember that it would cost $5 million dollars to buy an equivalent house there, or I could live in aforementioned shipping container+tent for what I pay for my house

:smith:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Every so often I get a wild hair to move to SoCal or the Bay Area or something. And then I remember that it would cost $5 million dollars to buy an equivalent house there, or I could live in aforementioned shipping container+tent for what I pay for my house

I want to hollow out Stone Mountain and live inside it. Also take those stupid fucks off the face of the mountain. When I get done with that though you could definitely rent a room in there. I think there would be enough space.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah NZ sounds just like CA in that regard. Right down to the lovely rear end legislation helping enslave a generation.

No thanks on that poo poo.

Finger Prince posted:

I mean, that same basic premise extends to basically anywhere pleasant to live.

Your experience in most any country is directly related to the wealth you have.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Unironically nationalize and outlaw private landlords for residential property. :colbert:

If you want to be a landlord, go buy some office buildings.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jan 27, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I thought I knew what :italy: meant.

Seen my fair share of Ducatis, Aprilias, guzzis, vespas, benellis gileras and hell even a moto morini once. Been in the poo poo more than once - shims flying, bevel madness, that sort of thing. I thought I had some idea of the Italian mind, shared some core concepts of understanding regarding bike design and human decency.

But no. I didn't know poo poo. I had no notion, no glimmer of :italy: at all.

Bimota SB6 with the mask pulled back. Behold the madness-inducing forms no man should glimpse!

The dual round headlights mimic those of the sane, from a distance you might think it's Japanese. Acid dissolves my lungs, glycol rends my kidneys.

The descent begins, the dials fool me into thinking they can help, can inform somehow, but all needles point to insanity.

Cyclopean geometry on scales big and small. A sane mind would think 15mm away from an exhaust would harm the reservoir, I know better though!

Fuel, vacuum, hydraulic fluid - what's the difference? All just molecules swirling round and round, let the hoses nestle.

Where's the oil cap?
Where's the oil cap?
Where's the oil cap?
Where's the oil cap?

The whole entire engine is a suzuki, except for this one part, because it makes the devil laugh. Ball-end allen keys only, and by only I mean only in your dreams bitch, that poo poo is rounded off and it's punch and hammer time. Afterwards, swallow the cap and don't fret - another will grow in it's place.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I was gonna say. That looks an awful lot like a Bandit/GSX motor

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

And I thought my Buell's drain plug opening onto the exhaust was bad. The battery under the headlight looks fun too.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Do the hoses come from factory just chilling over the strut like that?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah, I thought it looked like a Katana motor or something...

"You said you needed a jump, man, where's the battery?"

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

I want to know how much force is needed to push the spinning wheel, the two batteries, and the coolant into a corner.

Or is that gas strut opposite of a damper, and a steering assist?

[E] I’m the speedo that starts at 20

Horse Clocks fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 27, 2021

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
for ref:

I wonder how much it would cost to replace the OEM fairings on this thing.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Finally, another application for LiFePO batteries.

You're on your own with the rest of it though.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yes.

MomJeans420 posted:

Do the hoses come from factory just chilling over the strut like that?

Yes.

Horse Clocks posted:

I want to know how much force is needed to push the spinning wheel, the two batteries, and the coolant into a corner.

Or is that gas strut opposite of a damper, and a steering assist?

[E] I’m the speedo that starts at 20

It is a steering damper to stop the headshake because it's super steep to speed up the steering because it's got batteries and coolant above the headlight slowing down the steering.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

is that the blinker fluid reservoir

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

My bike slips the rear anytime the temps drop. It's normal part of certain rubber.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

it's been 40 days since I last rode a motorcycle :negative: loving winter

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

FBS posted:

it's been 40 days since I last rode a motorcycle :negative: loving winter

Its been 4 months since i rode mine and we just got another 13 cm of snow :(

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Yes.

Yes.

It is a steering damper to stop the headshake because it's super steep to speed up the steering because it's got batteries and coolant above the headlight slowing down the steering.

It's fantastic that Bimota's whole schtick was "Italian looks and handling with Japanese reliability*" and then they pull this sort of thing just to make sure there's enough :italy: in it. I suspect that the Ducati-engined bikes are actually in use at CERN for their ability to bend the space-time continuum around them.

* Like when they first launched this wasn't a bad niche - in the mid 70s the first UJMs had engines that seemed to come from another dimension in terms of their power output and reliability, in a world where until then Triumph and Harley had been the cutting edge, but they still had frames and suspension more suitable for a 125. Take the engine out of a Z1 or a GS, wrap it in a perimeter frame that could be used as part of a railway bridge and chuck suspension newer than WW2 at each end and you had a genuine world-beater (Bimota privateers, along with bikes from Harris and Spondon on the same principle, used to regularly obliterate factory teams in early WSB).

Then of course the Japanese went "Oh yeah, frames", Bimota were out of a niche and went pants-on-head insane with stuff like the Tesi, and then after Tamburini (PBUH) left they bankrupted themselves by saying "Hey, we should make our own engines too. What would be the best thing to start with? Right, a 500cc V2 2-stroke road bike, that's sensible".

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Right, a 500cc V2 2-stroke road bike, that's sensible

frantically googling bimota

e: oh okay the V-Due is gorgeous but had a tendency for Rapid Unplanned Disassembly cool cool cool

Also oh hey apparently Kawi bought a 49% stake in the company??

Phy fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 3, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's fantastic that Bimota's whole schtick was "Italian looks and handling with Japanese reliability*" and then they pull this sort of thing just to make sure there's enough :italy: in it. I suspect that the Ducati-engined bikes are actually in use at CERN for their ability to bend the space-time continuum around them.

* Like when they first launched this wasn't a bad niche - in the mid 70s the first UJMs had engines that seemed to come from another dimension in terms of their power output and reliability, in a world where until then Triumph and Harley had been the cutting edge, but they still had frames and suspension more suitable for a 125. Take the engine out of a Z1 or a GS, wrap it in a perimeter frame that could be used as part of a railway bridge and chuck suspension newer than WW2 at each end and you had a genuine world-beater (Bimota privateers, along with bikes from Harris and Spondon on the same principle, used to regularly obliterate factory teams in early WSB).

Then of course the Japanese went "Oh yeah, frames", Bimota were out of a niche and went pants-on-head insane with stuff like the Tesi, and then after Tamburini (PBUH) left they bankrupted themselves by saying "Hey, we should make our own engines too. What would be the best thing to start with? Right, a 500cc V2 2-stroke road bike, that's sensible".

Update: you can't take the cam cover off because the coils are in the way, they are attached to the underside of the frame cross-plate with cap screws which are too close to the cam cover to get an allen key into, because they are fitted to the frame which is then fitted to the motor, which means valve clearances demand dropping the engine (I am not doing this).

Phy posted:

frantically googling bimota

e: oh okay the V-Due is gorgeous but had a tendency for Rapid Unplanned Disassembly cool cool cool

Also oh hey apparently Kawi bought a 49% stake in the company??

Try googling bimota h2 for maximum :catdrugs:

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Update: you can't take the cam cover off because the coils are in the way, they are attached to the underside of the frame cross-plate with cap screws which are too close to the cam cover to get an allen key into, because they are fitted to the frame which is then fitted to the motor, which means valve clearances demand dropping the engine (I am not doing this).

Reminds me of the Buell XB, especially since you recently said those are similar to an exotic sportsbike. They use the same style intake plenum and seals as a sportster, which you're probably familiar with.
For those unfamiliar, instead of there being a flexible boot between the engine and plenum/airbox, there's a tapered seal that gets squished in between there:

It seems that on the XB they start leaking much sooner, probably because the intake and airbox are attached to the frame, instead of how on the sporty the whole intake assembly is attached to the engine and can vibrate with it. Replacing them on the Sportster is a 10 minute job, on the XB you need to drop the engine.

There's now actually an aftermarker design that seems much more sensible, as it uses O-rings instead of seals that can be nicked by movement of the intake
https://www.twinmotorcycles.nl/webs...e_Intake_Flange

I did it without dropping the engine once but you need a cut down ball head allen key, curved wrench and will probably scratch up the intake/cylinder mating surfaces wrestling everything into place.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've wondered in the past if there was an aftermarket improvement on those, even on the sporty if you ever take the manifold off you need new seals or it'll leak, not that you need to do that very often but still. It's kind of surprising Buell never used any of the developments on the xr1200.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Slavvy posted:

Holy poo poo they're actually making it???

https://www.cycleworld.com/story/bikes/2020-cyw-bimota-tesi-h2-is-here/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:lol: