Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Teenage Fansub posted:

Wonder Woman needs way more interesting art.

I just checked comicbookroundup and people seem to hate the last two JLA issues. I know it's pausing the arc for some backstory, but I liked them. Who couldn't use some Ray Palmer adventures in their life?

I might have to break my "wait until a sale" rule for these. The Atom owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Regarding Metal, it must be intentional that Batman broadcasts the letters DC to tell his friends to stay away from where he is, but I didn't enjoy the issue very much so I just thought "He's right; I should stop buying this company's comics!"

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

vegetables posted:

Regarding Metal, it must be intentional that Batman broadcasts the letters DC to tell his friends to stay away from where he is, but I didn't enjoy the issue very much so I just thought "He's right; I should stop buying this company's comics!"

I've actually been really liking Metal and it's the only DC Comic I pick up, but wow, Batman has a lotta nerve to chastise Superman for not picking up on his incredibly esoteric coded message. Maybe next time just have the kids play Master of Puppets?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

TheHan posted:

I've actually been really liking Metal and it's the only DC Comic I pick up, but wow, Batman has a lotta nerve to chastise Superman for not picking up on his incredibly esoteric coded message. Maybe next time just have the kids play Master of Puppets?

Yea that message thing felt a whole lot like the "sea for the letter C for Catwoman" reasoning. Besides Batman being a tool in that regards I really enjoyed the issue. I absolutely loved the whole bar at the end of time, and now I want a series about Nightmaster playing rock music throughout the ages (possibly to save the the world every time).

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Mr Hootington posted:

I might have to break my "wait until a sale" rule for these. The Atom owns.
No lie no shade, I'd really be interested in your reaction to this storyline as someone who it might actually be written for, because to me JLA at this point practically feels like a troll book that's trying to see how long it can last while being as purposely unreadable as possible.

Again, ugh, I hate saying that because I don't dislike Orlando at all. There are so many other writers at DC alone who I can't stand more! But this book, man. This book.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Ray Palmer is awesome. Don't hate on Ray Palmer.

I mean, Ryan Choi is better, but still

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

BrianWilly posted:

No lie no shade, I'd really be interested in your reaction to this storyline as someone who it might actually be written for, because to me JLA at this point practically feels like a troll book that's trying to see how long it can last while being as purposely unreadable as possible.

Again, ugh, I hate saying that because I don't dislike Orlando at all. There are so many other writers at DC alone who I can't stand more! But this book, man. This book.

I was down with the first part because I kind of like stories where they mention characters having unseen adventures because it makes the universe seem bigger than one main story, but to have that happen over and over again just makes me think of a joke that goes on and on and on and the punchline is that it is a long meandering joke.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

BrianWilly posted:

I'm 11 issues back so I have to wait for a sale, but the next DC 50% off I will get it. It has jumped ahead of a few other purchases I wanted.

But reading the solitics makes me want to :filez: it. The FREAKING MICROVERSE! That is a deep DC cut and right up my alley.

I won't be :filez:ing it so please no probe.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

I am really enjoying Mr Miracle and am angry it wasn't brought to my attention before now.

Caper
Feb 20, 2005

Fallen Rib

team overhead smash posted:

I am really enjoying Mr Miracle and am angry it wasn't brought to my attention before now.

Yah it owns. Reposting my question from the end of last page in case no one saw it:

quote:

I'm not sure what's really going on at the end of issue 2 and #3 doesn't really clear it up for me. Obviously Barda didn't die but are she and Scott going back in time at the end? Back before the Mother Box zapped them to where Granny was? Sorry if this is a dumb question,

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Caper posted:

I, too, am absolutely loving Mister Miracle. Tom King owns. But I'm not sure what's really going on at the end of issue 2 and #3 doesn't really clear it up for me. Obviously Barda didn't die but are she and Scott going back in time at the end? Back before the Mother Box zapped them to where Granny was? Sorry if this is a dumb question,

My theory is that the war has already happened and Scott is pretty much reliving it in some kind of PTSD nightmare. This is either some fantastical parting gift from Darkseid, or Scott is really just completely broken by the war .

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm catching up on the past two weeks of comics, and I'm with BrianWilly on this much: Dawnbreaker is one of the worst comics I've read in recent memory

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

team overhead smash posted:

Before the first issue dropped, Rhyno, and later me, came from the future having read our advance retailer copies. We warned you BSS!

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

Caper posted:

Yah it owns. Reposting my question from the end of last page in case no one saw it:

I think she was just stunned.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Open Marriage Night posted:

Before the first issue dropped, Rhyno, and later me, came from the future having read our advance retailer copies. We warned you BSS!

We did! I didn't shut up about it for like two weeks!

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Variant Cover for Doomsday Clock #4

https://twitter.com/1moreGaryFrank/status/918943433586339841

Variant Cover for Doomsday Clock #5

https://twitter.com/1moreGaryFrank/status/918941185414172672

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
I just found out Raven had a mini-series in 2016-2017. She's my favorite member of the Teen Titans. Is her mini-series any good?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I tried it and maybe it was because i never really read anything with her before so i wasnt invested in the character but i thought it was pretty boring

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

She is my favorite character, and I liked it quite a bit. I was more interested in the supporting cast Marv Wolfman was giving her than the main plot, and that's probably never going to come up again because Raven's character is devoted to being Wally's love interest now.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
It's apparently getting a sequel.

quote:

RAVEN: DAUGHTER OF DARKNESS #1

Written by MARV WOLFMAN Art by POP MHAN Cover by YANICK PAQUETTE Variant cover by BILL SIENKIEWICZ

Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details.

In this all-new miniseries, Raven faces a new, otherworldly menace that is all too grounded in reality. Plus, Raven’s personal life is in an uproar as her mother and aunt struggle for the soul of a Titan! It’s up to Baron Winters of the Night Force to intercede on her behalf as she embarks on the adventure called “The Girls With the Anime Eyes”!

On sale JANUARY 10 • 32 pg, FC, 1 of 12, $3.99 US • RATED T

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm down. Glad it's continuing in that and not Percy's Teen Titans.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

site posted:

I tried it and maybe it was because i never really read anything with her before so i wasnt invested in the character but i thought it was pretty boring

Roth posted:

She is my favorite character, and I liked it quite a bit. I was more interested in the supporting cast Marv Wolfman was giving her than the main plot, and that's probably never going to come up again because Raven's character is devoted to being Wally's love interest now.

One for, one against. I'll pick it up the next time I get paid and try it out. Thanks!

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Roth posted:

40 years later and we're doing the same thing but the other way around.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Has anyone talked about the King/Eastman issue of Kamandi Challenge? It's pretty drat depressing, but ends with a really good Jack Kirby quote. I still can't get over how many good books involving Kirby characters there are right now. Mister Miracle, Bug, Black Bolt, Kamandi Challenge, and the Mighty Thor.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I loved it.
They're gonna have to package up King's one-off issues one day. That'll be a great collection.

That Green Lantern Darkseid War one-shot with Doc Shaner needs to be preserved and not lost to the pit of event tie-ins past.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Oct 14, 2017

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

That'd make a cool trade, or a digital "playlist" for people that are curious. The Brave and the Mold would have to go in there.

I'd also recommend the first issue of any of his series.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

More on the final Len Wein Swamp Thing story.
http://ew.com/books/2017/10/13/new-swamp-thing-special-to-feature-posthumous-story-from-co-creator-len-wein/

quote:

Before he died, Wein had completed the script for the first issue of a new series about the vegetation-covered monstrosity formerly known as Alec Holland, which would be illustrated by his 2016 Swamp Thing miniseries partner Kelley Jones. While we won’t ever see this series come to fruition, EW can exclusively reveal that fans will get a chance to read the first issue of the planned series in 2018 when DC Comics releases Swamp Thing Winter Special #1 (on sale Jan. 31), which will present the story in both its original script form with art by Jones.

Picking up where the 2016 miniseries left off, the story finds Swamp Thing reestablishing his dominance over the Louisiana swamps outside of Houma while his friend Matt Cable, who has woken up from his coma, becomes a private investigator. However, trouble comes to Houma when Solomon Grundy arrives in town with an infant he kidnapped from Gotham City. (We bet you can imagine who is following closely behind him.)

Additionally, Swamp Thing Winter Special #1 will be rounded out by a brand-new one-shot story two of comics biggest creators: writer Tom King and artist Jason Fabok, who previously teamed up for the Batman-The Flash crossover “The Button.” This new story, which both of them describe as a passion project, tracks a decaying Swamp Thing as he and a lost boy struggle to survive in the frozen tundra.

Kelley Jones and Tom King quotes in the link.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

catlord posted:

It's apparently getting a sequel.

change thread title to DC Comics: The Girls With the Anime Eyes

radlum
May 13, 2013
Is Mr Miracle as good as Vision was? I've been trying to give it a chance.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

radlum posted:

I absolutely love it. It confuses the gently caress out of me because I'm trying to understand the continuity, but it's just so drat good.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

radlum posted:

Vision is more straight forward than MM intentionally confusing and disorienting you. The real similarity is the sense of dread and forboding that permeates both books.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

radlum posted:

No, but I say this as someone who thought Vision stood pretty tall in terms of best Comic Ever contenders. Mr Miracle is still really good but the confusing "everything is weird and not quite what it seems" approach hinders the kind of emotional investment I had with Vision.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

Open Marriage Night posted:

I wasn't on the lookout for good DC comics. How was I to know that Tom King hadn't retired forever?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

radlum posted:

I don't think we'll be able to judge Mister Miracle until the story is complete and we see if King succeeds in pulling off the story he's trying to tell - I suspect he will, but I've been wrong before. If he sticks the landing, though, I'd say it will easily be on par, because as has been said, the sense of impending doom and the dread it generates virtually drips off the page. It's really, really good.

I don't think I understand what the hell is happening, mind you, but that doesn't detract from the story. Which is an odd thing to say, I know, but it's true.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Yea MM is three issues in a 12 issue mini series so it's a bit too early to see where it will rank in his work but the three issues have been excellent so far.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You can read Sheriff of Babylon to see an example of a completed work by the same creative team.

It's actually quite similar with the grid layouts and black text-only panels.

edit:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BaMo3NgBZ5D/?hl=en&taken-by=johnkalisz
Hell yeah.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 15, 2017

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think there's a sequel to Sheriff of Babylon coming eventually too.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Omega Men did the 9 panel layout more than SoB I believe.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

You can read Sheriff of Babylon to see an example of a completed work by the same creative team.

edit:
Hell yeah.

:hellyeah: HELL loving YEAH they deserve it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Teenage Fansub posted:

edit:
Hell yeah.
Goddamn I am so excited for this.