Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I prefer Kingdom Hearts style

:lmao:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Guillermus posted:

I missed 2 modern combat and 1943 yeah, both console exclusives (like Bad Company 1). 1943 was super fun but didn't feel like a fully fledged release with just three maps (conquest) and one for air superiority. I didn't unclude BF Heroes and Play4Free because obvious reasons.

1943 was like $20 USD or something right? I guess the plan was to do map packs but it didn't work out

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

my bony fealty posted:

Quake 6 should be a semi-open world hub game with nonlinear progression where you can jumpgate to different worlds, one of which is the Strogg world.

Let's throw some lite RPG elements in there too, and many cosmetic microtransactions. Perhaps an extraction shooter MP?

And the main character should start with a hammer that shoots lightning.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Wolf 09 is pretty fun, feels very dated and console-esque yeah but it's got solid Nazi shooting and the first mission has you gunning down helpless Nazis in zero g. I'm here for it.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

my bony fealty posted:

Quake 6 should be a semi-open world hub game with nonlinear progression where you can jumpgate to different worlds, one of which is the Strogg world.

Let's throw some lite RPG elements in there too, and many cosmetic microtransactions. Perhaps an extraction shooter MP?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

1943 was like $20 USD or something right? I guess the plan was to do map packs but it didn't work out

It was also bundled with deluxe editions of Bad Company 2 iirc. 1943 didn't work out because they didn't put the effort on it. Players liked it as it was an updated 1942 on consoles. Basically DICE not knowing (again) why players like about their games.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
truly a tale as old as time itself

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Romero truly ahead of his time.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The Doom II Strategy Guide had a cool interview with Romero in the back where he talked about his vision for Quake as well, and it was pretty wild.

fake edit: I managed to find a copy of it, interview starts on page 205. https://www.starehry.eu/download/action3d/docs/Doom2_Official-Strategy-Guide.pdf

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXZO9b-ZZNw

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

my bony fealty posted:

Totally forgot about that one

Was it any good

God, yes, it deserves some kind of a rerelease.

The megatexture stuff probably killed it back in the day with its system reqs.

Also lol @

Deakul fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 21, 2024

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Deakul posted:

God, yes, it deserves some kind of a rerelease.

The megatexture stuff probably killed it back in the day with its system reqs.

Also lol @

Pretty much the only expression on my face during most of Doom 3 was mild boredom.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Turn off my lights, put on my AVP promotional Big Dog diapers, and engage DOOM 3.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Against the name of the thread, but definitely in the spirit of the thread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUt8Z8mkI-g

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

thanks, from the comments:

quote:

Thank you for this video. I was one of the developers on this game - I was a gameplay programmer and then gameplay designer on the title from 2005 till it shipped. The amount of memories this video brought up are shocking and man if you knew the stuff we didn’t ship your mind would be blown. Like at the beginning of the project - everything was open world. id was sure old school linear games were dead and wanted the entire game to be like GTA. It was awful. The tiny hub section we shipped was a remnant from that, and we pushed for linear levels the last two years of the dev cycle to unfuck the game. Weird to watch five years of your life summed up in 50 min but great video, glad you enjoyed the game and gave it another chance.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
The Slave Zero X promo Quake mission pack ENYO is kind of mid but also not terrible? For free it's alright. The level design is linear but still has arrows all over the place pointing to where the path is. Enemies spawn in obviously as soon as an invisible barrier is hit, and sometimes that barrier is so small and in a certain spot that I had run back and forth several times locked in a room until I eventually ran over the spot it was on and all the enemies popped into the room. Also it's weird to have the critical path require platforming up tiny crates onto a ledge. That stuff is for secrets! And some areas are missing textures and just have a void.

Aside from all that it's not bad.

edit: ALSO the item placement is bonkers. Red armor towards the end of one level, next level has a yellow armor at the start and then a secret red armor a few feet away. Ammo is placed all at once in big clumps.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I did a big Wolfenstein replay right before New Colossus came out and in some ways I ended up liking Wolf '09 more than TNO even. Definitely don't mind the hub because oh no what a huge punishment, having to shoot more mans. Easily a better game than TNC, considering cool stuff actually happens not in cutscenes.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Don't like the BJ in this one, looks like the werewolf guy from twilight

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
The worst BJ was in 09 for sure, just amateur level stuff

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Don't like the BJ in this one

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The worst BJ was in 09 for sure, just amateur level stuff

don't do it, don't say anything, you're better than this

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
Users on Sex Reviews Dot Com say the following:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Mordja posted:

I did a big Wolfenstein replay right before New Colossus came out and in some ways I ended up liking Wolf '09 more than TNO even. Definitely don't mind the hub because oh no what a huge punishment, having to shoot more mans. Easily a better game than TNC, considering cool stuff actually happens not in cutscenes.

Yeah I dunno if it's just a matter of already liking other open world-y games but having the hub be a sort of sandbox where you can play around with all your kit and pick off nazis like an apex predator was fun. I guess if you're just there for linear shootmans then it feels like retreading old ground all the time.

I have no loving clue what the game would even look like as a full open world so I'm glad they fought to not do that. :psyduck:

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

It's amazing how adding such a little thing like a compass in Quake II is making me enjoy it much more than ever before.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It sucked not having it in quake lol

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

It sucked not having it in quake lol

For whatever reason the levels in Quake stick out more to me and where I need to go back to, while Quake 2 I wandered the palace at the end for a while

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Having finally gotten a chance to sit down and watch Civvie's video, I'm glad he turned around on Wolf'09. :unsmith:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Is there some sort of controvery about a Doom speedrunner called Zero-Master? The name rings a bell, I just fell down a wiki hole and a random youtube comment mentions a record for E1M8 not being accepted for whatever reason.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Serephina posted:

Is there some sort of controvery about a Doom speedrunner called Zero-Master? The name rings a bell, I just fell down a wiki hole and a random youtube comment mentions a record for E1M8 not being accepted for whatever reason.

No? I think you have been lead quite astray.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
People probably bitching at him to do a non-tool-assisted 100% of nuts.wad lol

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Serephina posted:

You might be talking about his E1M8 UV-Max where he actually gets 100% kills in the final auto-kill room which is supposed to be impossible. Technically speaking it's the only true UV-Max of E1M8 ever but if it were accepted as such it would destroy the category as it's basically impossible to do and not particularly interesting competitively. It's not a controversy, just an insanely impressive achievement that is generally accepted as being outside of the parameters of UV-Max for E1M8.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!

Volte posted:

You might be talking about his E1M8 UV-Max where he actually gets 100% kills in the final auto-kill room which is supposed to be impossible. Technically speaking it's the only true UV-Max of E1M8 ever but if it were accepted as such it would destroy the category as it's basically impossible to do and not particularly interesting competitively. It's not a controversy, just an insanely impressive achievement that is generally accepted as being outside of the parameters of UV-Max for E1M8.

Controversial: Local man is too good at Doom

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea that's it, thanks.

There sure are some crazy bastards out there. Some people make realistic train dioramas, others break video games.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Volte posted:

Oh wow I hadn't heard about this but it's neat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qKO_VJTL5U&t=122s

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

is it even speedrunning if you aren't arguing about who is doing it right and what records actually count

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The controversy should count on the timer

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Zero Master is probably the best Doom speedrunner in history and he is an unfair standard to hold others to. Essentially days after Decino made a video on impossible Doom challenges, Zero Master achieved half of them.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

site posted:

Oh wow I hadn't heard about this but it's neat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qKO_VJTL5U&t=122s

It's an incredible accomplishment. Zero Master is amazing.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

if they want to make a different category for sub-100% they should but imo zeromaster has the only uvmax time. it took like twenty years for someone to uvpacifist underhalls and the world record time is like twenty minutes but that's the deal

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Cactus Ghost posted:

if they want to make a different category for sub-100% they should but imo zeromaster has the only uvmax time. it took like twenty years for someone to uvpacifist underhalls and the world record time is like twenty minutes but that's the deal
There are several levels where due to either design or bugs, the criteria for UV-Max is not 100%/100% and the "official" records reflect that. It wouldn't be fair to invalidate them over what is essentially a novelty (for a slower time at that). There were no concessions like that for UV Pacifist Underhalls, it's just hard to do.

100% secrets in MAP15 was also impossible until Zero Master figured out how to exploit a bug in Lost Soul spawning to get it, but it's not required for UV-Max either because who wants to deal with that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irNoHfnLXRM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tiny Timbs posted:

The controversy should count on the timer

it's not counted on the timer directly, but dsda has a section for notes for each record and zeromaster's run is recorded as being 100% kills https://dsdarchive.com/wads/doom?level=E1M8 (scroll down to uv-max)

so it's quite prominent if you're looking for it. dsda didn't hide it, say it didn't count or anything. the problem some people seem to have is that it didn't invalidate all the previous runs, which yeah i think is a bit naff, the idea is that it's a community competition, and it's nice to look at the evolution of that competition, even if a more "technically correct" take on the competition was completed years later.