Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Who What Now posted:

My BvS IIMMs are that it should have been split up into two movies. There was no reason to include Doomsday other than to have someone for Superman to punch into space, and it completely wasted his potential. Really what should have happened is that Wonder Woman should have stopped the fight between Bats and Supes to refocus them on the villain they all had a beef with, Lex Luthor. Then they save Superman's mom, capture Luthor, and the movie can end with Lex still being smug because he knows about the ticking time bomb that is the stupid loving cave troll from LotR waiting in the ship.

Then you can have the next movie about the Justice League forming to stop Doomsday. That way he can be properly established as a threat that we should care about. Or something, I don't know. The point is is that Doomsday was completely unneeded, and felt tacked on because some producer said "Who does Superman punch? He's gotta punch someone super hard, that's what the fans want! Avengers had a big bad guy to hit, we need one too."

The whole movie needed to be cut down by like a solid hour, and the ending especially drug on and on and loving on.

Finally, what the gently caress was up with Batman just straight up murdering 50 dudes? His entire deal is that he doesn't kill people, but apparently it doesn't count if you do it using a vehicle or via explosions you caused indirectly.

Regarding the last part of that spoiler, Bats has killed people in pretty much EVERY live action version since Adam West. Hell, Keaton detonated a bomb in a chemical factory in the 89 batman just to take out some thugs. He detonated a clown in Returns... I think Bale probably has the smallest kill count of any Batman on the big screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Regarding the last part of that spoiler, Bats has killed people in pretty much EVERY live action version since Adam West. Hell, Keaton detonated a bomb in a chemical factory in the 89 batman just to take out some thugs. He detonated a clown in Returns... I think Bale probably has the smallest kill count of any Batman on the big screen.

We've also just come off the Nolen movies, especially the super-popular Dark Knight, where his "one rule" was heavily stressed. Him resorting to lethal methods in those movies came after three movies of build up and after Bruce had finally begun to let go of being Batman.

I think a lot of people's issue here isn't that Batman killed, it just wasn't properly explained or set up in the jumbled rush of the movie.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Canemacar posted:

We've also just come off the Nolen movies, especially the super-popular Dark Knight, where his "one rule" was heavily stressed. Him resorting to lethal methods in those movies came after three movies of build up and after Bruce had finally begun to let go of being Batman.

I think a lot of people's issue here isn't that Batman killed, it just wasn't properly explained or set up in the jumbled rush of the movie.

Eh... The Nolan movies started off with him killing a lot of ninjas and Rahs (albeit in a big fire/explosion thing iirc), and ended with him doing the "I'M NOT GONNA KILL YA, BUT I AIN'T GOTTA SAVE YA, PEACE OUT" move in the train. Not saying his kill count was high as Adam West punching heavy water thugs or Keaton terrorist bombing a factory, but he wasn't exactly free of blood on his hands

Something to help break up the black text! After watching BvS, and the upcoming Civil War, seeing the Supergirl/Flash crossover episode made me realize how much I hate these stupid grimdark OMG I HATE YOU NO I HATE YOU LET'S FIGHT superhero movies and shows. Flash shows up and it's like "OH poo poo YOU RUN FAST!" "OH SNAP YOU'RE AN ALIEN?" "OMG BESTIES LET'S GO GET DONUTS!"

I really, really, really hope they start injecting some humor into the movies.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Batman doing a bunch of killing in BvS made sense to me in the sense that's he's a thinly-disguised representation of US policy. He had a strong moral code, and while he operates outside of others' laws he was fundamentally good. Then alien 9/11 occurred and his worldview of what is acceptable was shattered. He's now willing to go to extremes he would never have considered, because to him preventing another devastating attack is worth the sacrifice.

Hell, those guys he killed weren't even criminals, at least as far as Bats or the audience knew. They were hired security and doing their loving job; namely stopping someone from stealing Kryptonite. But this Batman was willing to sacrifice a handful of mercenaries' lives against that of the entire world.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
That assumes that U.S. foreign policy was ever good :can:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Eh... The Nolan movies started off with him killing a lot of ninjas and Rahs (albeit in a big fire/explosion thing iirc), and ended with him doing the "I'M NOT GONNA KILL YA, BUT I AIN'T GOTTA SAVE YA, PEACE OUT" move in the train. Not saying his kill count was high as Adam West punching heavy water thugs or Keaton terrorist bombing a factory, but he wasn't exactly free of blood on his hands

Something to help break up the black text! After watching BvS, and the upcoming Civil War, seeing the Supergirl/Flash crossover episode made me realize how much I hate these stupid grimdark OMG I HATE YOU NO I HATE YOU LET'S FIGHT superhero movies and shows. Flash shows up and it's like "OH poo poo YOU RUN FAST!" "OH SNAP YOU'RE AN ALIEN?" "OMG BESTIES LET'S GO GET DONUTS!"

I really, really, really hope they start injecting some humor into the movies.

In the Arrow/Flash crossover they fought first. Team ups always start with a misunderstanding and then a team up.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

In the Arrow/Flash crossover they fought first. Team ups always start with a misunderstanding and then a team up.

It wasn't really a misunderstanding though. The bad guy used his rage powers on the Flash.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

AnonSpore posted:

That assumes that U.S. foreign policy was ever good :can:

Well it is a Zach Snyder film, after all.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Mickey Rourke had a legitimate grievance and should have won in Iron Man 2.

Clark Kent should have been fired for dereliction of duty halfway through BvS.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Daredevil is so good but what is this Mickey Mouse bullshit that permeates season two where they add the most videogamey sound effects when somebody unsheathes any type of bladed weapon

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Calaveron posted:

Daredevil is so good but what is this Mickey Mouse bullshit that permeates season two where they add the most videogamey sound effects when somebody unsheathes any type of bladed weapon

To illustrate how he's listening for the sounds of their blades moving through the air to locate the ninjas since they don't have heartbeats. Yeah it's silly.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Arrath posted:

To illustrate how he's listening for the sounds of their blades moving through the air to locate the ninjas since they don't have heartbeats. Yeah it's silly.

No, this happened when they're raiding the hospital and daredevil isn't around yet. Kinda disappointed because up until then the sound design had been impeccable, even when it wasn't the focus

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
And it's kinda silly that daredevil can't track them by heartbeat or by smell or even by the noise of say, the air against their bodies. They've gone to lengths to show his senses are really really good but it doesn't occur to him to use that other stuff

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Yeah there's basically no way those ninjas don't smell. For like, a few reasons.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Smell doesn't help him tell how they're moving their limbs to fight.

(Neither does their heartbeat though.)

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
they are magic re-animated ninjas like literally magic, of course they don't smell and can stop their hearts and slow their breathing.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Another for the Daredevil pile, but toward the end of the season before the huge climactic fight on the roof, we hear the detective dude yell something along the lines of, "And I want that roof lit up with lights here, here, and here!" when the ninjas were sniping his officers. Like an hour later when Matt and Elektra are actually fighting, it's still dark and I was expecting at least some choppers hanging around. What the gently caress were the police doing in the meantime?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I loved the poo poo out of Stargate when I was a younger fellow, but goddamn rewatching it there are endless amounts of gratuitously added guncocking sounds. Constantly! I'm not sure if this is an irationally irritating moment or a well-founded one.

Teriyaki Hairpiece has a new favorite as of 16:44 on Apr 3, 2016

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
When I was a kid I was annoyed that they made Mario and Luigi American in Super Mario Bros.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Gargamel Gibson posted:

When I was a kid I was annoyed that they made Mario and Luigi American in Super Mario Bros.

Aren't they, though? I always thought they were Italian-Americans.

In fact, wasn't the character based on a landlord that Miyamoto had at some point while in the US?

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
I thought that they were Italian. "It's-a me" and all that. Maybe it was irrational.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Mario being a Brooklyn-based plumber is canon from old days, yo.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Gargamel Gibson posted:

I thought that they were Italian. "It's-a me" and all that. Maybe it was irrational.

i mean italian americans can still have accents.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

kinmik posted:

Another for the Daredevil pile, but toward the end of the season before the huge climactic fight on the roof, we hear the detective dude yell something along the lines of, "And I want that roof lit up with lights here, here, and here!" when the ninjas were sniping his officers. Like an hour later when Matt and Elektra are actually fighting, it's still dark and I was expecting at least some choppers hanging around. What the gently caress were the police doing in the meantime?

It was a drat good series, but the whole thing kinda fell apart near the final episodes of season 2. Just a lot of things going on at the same time and some stuff just got dropped.
The whole thing was worth it just for that scene of Matt speaking with Fisk and Fisk just loving his poo poo up. Goddamn that was amazing

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
People watching old sports games in movies and TV always bothers me in some way. Last night's episode of Shameless features a DePaul-Northwestern basketball game, but if you know college basketball the audio is clearly from a Duke game from several years ago (it explicitly mentions "Singler, Scheyer and Smith").

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

So I was watching The Princess Bride which of course is one of the best movies of all time, when I stumbled upon a minor IIMM.

After the intro where we are introduced to Wesley and Buttercup and their true love, the narration goes something like this:

"Wesley had no money for marriage, so he went off to seek his fortune."

Now, I understand that if he doesn't do that, we don't have a movie, but what kind of money does he need? They live on a farm, which Buttercup (or her unseen family) owns, so they don't pay rent and they can feed themselves. Is the movie implying that you need a ton of money just to get married, like, paying a clergy member to marry the two of them would bankrupt them?

It's just a strange thing, quickly forgotten because the rest of the movie owns so much, but it bugged me anyway.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

WampaLord posted:

So I was watching The Princess Bride which of course is one of the best movies of all time, when I stumbled upon a minor IIMM.

After the intro where we are introduced to Wesley and Buttercup and their true love, the narration goes something like this:

Now, I understand that if he doesn't do that, we don't have a movie, but what kind of money does he need? They live on a farm, which Buttercup (or her unseen family) owns, so they don't pay rent and they can feed themselves. Is the movie implying that you need a ton of money just to get married, like, paying a clergy member to marry the two of them would bankrupt them?

It's just a strange thing, quickly forgotten because the rest of the movie owns so much, but it bugged me anyway.

It's based in old marriage customs where a man would have to impress a woman's father and get his permission before they could get married and no dad wants to let his daughter marry a bum.

Also, it's a plot device to separate the star-crossed lovers so the story can begin.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
It's a fairy tale, nonsensical motivaions like that are part of the genre.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
An evil witch/wizard did it.

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.

MariusLecter posted:

An evil witch/wizard Miracle Max did it.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

It's almost certainly referring to a dowry as opposed to the actual costs involved in a wedding ceremony.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

kinmik posted:

Something that really bugged me about that was that Matt has a line something like,"They act in the shadows, let's force them into the light!" and in conjunction with your spoilered line, I actually assumed the big climactic fight would expose the Hand under spotlight onto cameras and newsfeeds going all around the world so they couldn't operate as a secret society anymore. It just kind of went nowhere, unfortunately.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

WampaLord posted:

Buttercup's family owns and lives on a farm. I assume that the expectation upon marriage would be that the daughter move out to live with her new husband, not that the husband move in and crash on their couch. Wesley has no home for her to move in to.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
His name is Westley dammit! :argh:

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I hate when there's a Bingo game and they call out numbers like B17 or O32.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Something that really bugged me about that was that Matt has a line something like,"They act in the shadows, let's force them into the light!" and in conjunction with your spoilered line, I actually assumed the big climactic fight would expose the Hand under spotlight onto cameras and newsfeeds going all around the world so they couldn't operate as a secret society anymore. It just kind of went nowhere, unfortunately.
It's not like Matt would know.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

DrBouvenstein posted:

Aren't they, though? I always thought they were Italian-Americans.

In fact, wasn't the character based on a landlord that Miyamoto had at some point while in the US?

they're from the mushroom kingdom

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Gargamel Gibson posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65uNCLBTje0

It's canon. :colbert:

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

IIMM for the The Revenant: Overall, excellent movie but seriously The amount of people the Native American Chief loses in the quest of find his kidnapped daughter is loving silly. At what point does someone stand up and say "jeez Chief, we've lost like twenty people trying to find your daughter, don't you think it might be pertinent to let things rest?" . I get that some odd concept of 'honor' plays in it, but gawddamn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

A White Guy posted:

IIMM for the The Revenant: Overall, excellent movie but seriously The amount of people the Native American Chief loses in the quest of find his kidnapped daughter is loving silly. At what point does someone stand up and say "jeez Chief, we've lost like twenty people trying to find your daughter, don't you think it might be pertinent to let things rest?" . I get that some odd concept of 'honor' plays in it, but gawddamn.
I wouldn't have much of a problem sending 20 good men to their deaths to save my daughter. :shrug: